Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    BTW, I have never heard my VitaMix struggle as much as it did making this stuff.

rolleyes1.gif

We're gonna need those warning badges, STAT.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Mike, it sounds very similar to what I blend in the morning. I use fresh greens, though, because my $40 blender couldn't handle the frozen kind. It was quite gross actually, and it wouldn't chop them up no matter how high/long I let it go. ne_nau.gif

I don't know about the $75 price range, but my B&D absolutely could not handle warm/hot foods. Or thick ones, either. I am going to try both in the VM (I have a very exciting Friday night planned, ha) but given that Dr Fuhrman makes his soup in it and David's lentil pate exists, that is worth quite a bit to me. :D

Oh, and the B&D never managed to break up the flax seeds. And I found out the hard way that I'm a bit allergic to kiwi. lol3.gif

Just start your soup with what ever your using as stock and get that going on High/High for about 5 minutes and that should ahve it at almost boiling then slow it down as you add tthe rest of the ingrediants that you do not want liquified....for me I run the dang thing on high and I can just drink my soup and not have to worry about chewing as i drive to work or where ever:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Asian Vegetable Primavera
    242933301-L.jpg

3 quarts plus 1 Tbs water
    4oz rice noodles or buckwheat noodles
    1/2 Tbsp peanut oil
    1 Red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
    8 to 10 white mushrooms, sliced
    6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, halved
    2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
    10 leaves of bok choy or pat soi, cut into ribbons
    4 whole scallions, trimmed and chopped
    1 can (8oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained
    1/2 cup vegetable broth
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp toasted sesame oil
    1 Tbsp cornstarch

In a large saucepan, bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the noodles, stir, and cook over medium heat until al dente, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain in a colander.

In a large wok or skillet, heat the peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, and ginger and stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the bok choy, scallions, and water chestnuts and stir-fry for 4 minutes. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, and sesame oil and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch and the 1 Tbsp of water. Gradually drizzle the cornstarch mixture into the stir-fried mixture, stirring frequently. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat. Fold in the cooked noodles.

Serve at once.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

We're gonna need those warning badges, STAT.
    Ask and you shall receive:

242950970-O.png

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:

242950970-O.png

:lol4 :lol :lol
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks, Mike!!! lol3.gif

I added your recipe to the book. Looks delicious!

Slightly OT, I just wanted to give a couple of enthusiastic thumbs-up for the cookbook Veganomicon. Originally recommended to me by Ian(408), I actually forgot the title but ended up drawn to it on a completely unrelated trip to the bookstore. It's hefty, but beautiful. What Alton Brown does for meat/grease/dairy lovers with I'm Just Here for the Food, Isa and Terry do for people who are on a plant-based diet. What I like about it is several-fold:

1. They do not go into any politics for any reason for these dietary choices. They provide recipes for people who go veggie/vegan for ethical, allergy, and health reasons. Bias is left at the door.

2. They are quirky, fun and simple to understand. Even if the photos are restricted to the center few pages of the textbook, it's an easy read.

3. Some recipes are for soy/gluten-free diets, some are for low fat (best for ETL dieters), some are marked for quickness and some are labeled by ease of shopping at a regular grocery store. Makes it pretty easy to figure out what's for dinner! Almost everything I read so far seems to be easily modifiable. (Though I haven't gotten to the baking section yet)

4. There's a ton of info in the front and scattered throughout. Even if you have limited cooking experience, all the info about appliances, technique, prepwork and shopping is here. And if you are already experienced, it's not bad to browse through this info to see if you're removing portobello stems the correct way, or boiling your dry garbanzos for the appropriate amount of time.

5. These ladies know that not every kitchen is 3,000 sq feet with marble countertops and Viking appliances. Sometimes you're on a tight budget and have to make do with finicky ovens, one tiny table and/or the inability to wow Martha Stewart with the menu complexity. Although if the photos are any judge, you can certainly dress any of these recipes up to be as schmancy as you please.

I admit I haven't had much time to play with the recipes this weekend, but I've never had the interest to read a cookbook straight through before . This one certainly has been a huge help to my flailing culinary creativity and has given me the necessary kick in the pants. This week I am certainly getting away from plain romaine salads and hummus. :D I bought this book to be inspired and have a springboard for creating some of my own dishes, and this seems to be exactly what I needed. And more. thumb.gif
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    DSC_5373-600.jpg

My little voice [VERY, VERY little ne_nau.gif]

in this vegan photogs' TOTAL ATTACK mwink.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    z_28 wrote:
    My little voice [VERY, VERY little ne_nau.gif]

in this vegan photogs' TOTAL ATTACK mwink.gif

I gotta say (as a meat eater) that this is completely uncalled for. These people are talking about a diet choice that they have made. They aren't going around to every thread and shoving their ideals down anyones throats.

I'm guessing this post was made as something of a jest due to the non-hostile nature of dgrin, I just thought I'd let it be known that I found it in poor taste.

Wanna talk about eating meat? Start a new thread. (see pupator's thread)

ne_nau.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Small Update
    Howdy All-

I got the The China Study at home last week, Thanks Baldy! Unfortunately I was in Glendale, AZ. However I did still try to watch what I ate following the basic guidelines I have picked up from here.

So I went with Salads, Vegetables, Nuts whenever possible... not an easy task but not impossible either. Not honey roasted nuts like they typically serve on planes but the dry roasted nuts - still not perfect but a step in the right direction.

The hard part was keeping an eye on what is in the salad dressing. So after looking at the ingredients list when I got a salad at a fast food joint, well it was a dry salad.

Now the good news, 2% loss :D

I have another trip scheduled in less than a day, so the book is coming with me.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Cooking weekend
    I just signed up for this. I wanted to go last year but didn't get signed up in time. Let me know if anyone else is interested in going along! (if you don't want to click, it's a celebrity chef weekend at the Dr. McDougall Health and Medical center, I think it looks pretty cool because I love to cool.

I third (or whatever) the desire to make some pho-sh broth... maybe I'll try it out this weekend. I'll let you know how it comes out. I've never eaten real pho, but Shizam loves it, so I'll make him tell me how I did. I do think I'll make it mushroomy since it will be beef-free.

Also, if anyone in the sf bay-area ever wants to borrow cookbooks, I have a million, vegan and otherwise.
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I gotta say (as a meat eater) that this is completely uncalled for. These people are talking about a diet choice that they have made. They aren't going around to every thread and shoving their ideals down anyones throats.

I'm guessing this post was made as something of a jest due to the non-hostile nature of dgrin, I just thought I'd let it be known that I found it in poor taste.

Wanna talk about eating meat? Start a new thread. (see pupator's thread)

ne_nau.gif

Basically I expected such unpleasant answer - so Good Luck with flowers thumb.gif

BTW - you probably didn't noticed that yet - but it's "The Big Picture" sub Forum,
    meaning your post is totally improper headscratch.gifdeal.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    No trolling.

No personal attacks.

No silly skirmishes.

It's pretty simple. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    how2selectB.jpg

I hadn't ever had pomegranates before today. OMG they're so delicious.

That is all.

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Tried a pumelo the other day - good, but too much work; the white part of the rind is thick and soft so it's hard to remove. And the membranes containing the fruit are very thick. Maybe I should have cut it like a grapefruit instead of peeling it like an orange. Anyway, grapefuit is easier and almost the same flavor.

Tried an ugli fruit - delicious, not as much work as the pumelo. The membranes were still a bit thick so I removed them...

Tried a kiwano (african horned cucumber) - totally gross! Looks cool on the outside but the inside is a slimy green ooze with little flavor. What little flavor there was...well, it wasn't good. :nah

I keep meaning to try pomegranates! Gotta remember that one for next time -

On the plus side, I'm starting to enjoy mushrooms which I have hated for as long as I can remember.
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Hurry on the pomegranate or you'll have to wait until fall, I think (maybe since they've become more popular they'll somehow have them off-season?) They are yummy. I like a salad with pomegranate, pears, hazelnuts, avocado, champagne vinegar, baby spinach and mixed greens. When pomegranates come out in the fall I'll eat that every day for a week.

Random thing this reminded me I need to do: I bought the domain ugligirl.com a while back and at some point if work would be less crazy, plan to put stuff about different fruits and veggies I try and recipes up there... we'll see....
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    Hurry on the pomegranate or you'll have to wait until fall, I think (maybe since they've become more popular they'll somehow have them off-season?) They are yummy. I like a salad with pomegranate, pears, hazelnuts, avocado, champagne vinegar, baby spinach and mixed greens. When pomegranates come out in the fall I'll eat that every day for a week.

Random thing this reminded me I need to do: I bought the domain ugligirl.com a while back and at some point if work would be less crazy, plan to put stuff about different fruits and veggies I try and recipes up there... we'll see....
    mmm, food blog :D I know this guy, we'll call him "Sam." He's okay with the programming, he may be able to get you a slideshow or something. lol3.gif I don't know if pomegranates are going to go out of season, but the one I got was massive, bright red, and omg sooooo good. I went to the American commissary to get some more (at the going american rate). Bad move, all we had were small brownish ones that don't taste all that great.

man, if the boy weren't sleeping, or if I weren't here alone, I'd be going to the store right now for some more pomegranate action...

• Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Re: pomegranates, you eat the seeds inside, right? Those always weirded me out, but eating around each one is a pain. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Re: pomegranates, you eat the seeds inside, right? Those always weirded me out, but eating around each one is a pain. lol3.gif
    I just eat the seeds :D

• Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I just eat the seeds :D

Roughage! rolleyes1.gif

I'm headed to the store now anyway, I'll give 'em a try since it's been at least 15 years since I've had it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    man, if the boy weren't sleeping, or if I weren't here alone, I'd be going to the store right now for some more pomegranate action...
    here's some Pom pr0n to tide you over...rolleyes1.gif

It says they are available "through January" so I'd better hurry and get some to try!
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 15, 2008
    Why does it not surprise me that there's a major scandal around one of the leading cholesterol-lowering drugs?

The New York Times.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    I LOVE pomegranates, seeds and all! We also tried a pumelo the other day, and we really enjoyed that too. It was a bit of work, but no more so than a pomegranate, IMO.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Why does it not surprise me that there's a major scandal around one of the leading cholesterol-lowering drugs?

The New York Times.

Why does it not surprise me that they tried to sit on the findings and delayed it for over a year? How many new patients were prescribed this worthless drug in the meantime?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 15, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    not sure if anyone has posted this yet but I thought it worth sharing.

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/beautyeats/22317/tap-vs-bottled-what-should-you-drink

Schmoo and I bought these, a while back and use them for water all day long. It may be pricey up front but pays for itself quickly compared to buying bottled water.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    not sure if anyone has posted this yet but I thought it worth sharing.

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/beautyeats/22317/tap-vs-bottled-what-should-you-drink
    Even before I invested in one of these, I consumed a lot of bottled water. Though I recycled, i still felt as though it was a ginormous waste. For me, the plastic makes the water taste so narsty anyway.

I've taken this thing everywhere and it's more dinged up than a.... uh, metal bottle that goes everywhere with me, but I don't regret the splurge at all. thumb.gif

Edited: Since we're on the tangent of recycling, I also just got this in the mail from B&H and it works wonderfully as a grocery bag. Who'da thunk Crumpler would do that? wings.gif
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Even before I invested in one of these, I consumed a lot of bottled water. Though I recycled, i still felt as though it was a ginormous waste. For me, the plastic makes the water taste so narsty anyway.

I've taken this thing everywhere and it's more dinged up than a.... uh, metal bottle that goes everywhere with me, but I don't regret the splurge at all. thumb.gif

Timing is everything rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    I use Nalgenes. Plastic, yes, but they last forever.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

Edited: Since we're on the tangent of recycling, I also just got this in the mail from B&H and it works wonderfully as a grocery bag. Who'da thunk Crumpler would do that? wings.gif
    Gah, we've got so many nalgene bottles. Now I've been reading all over the place about how they're leachy and bad for you. Grrrrr. Curse you Nalgene, curse you!

• Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Gah, we've got so many nalgene bottles. Now I've been reading all over the place about how they're leachy and bad for you. Grrrrr. Curse you Nalgene, curse you!

Link?

EDIT: nm, I found it. :uhoh
    Moderator Emeritus