Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I think that the doctor only chose the stomach staple procedure to keep Patrick from over-consuming when he left hospital. I am also shocked that the weight reduction was enough to buy him several more years of life. And actually, I am shocked that he could survive as he had. It is staggering to see people (more than one) that are immobilized by their weight!
    I'm shocked to hear that his hands and face were covered with a mixture of blood and s**t and that his flesh was seeping bodily fluids and his wife didn't really think anything was wrong. It must have smelled like satans anus in there.

:puke

Just saying.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm shocked to hear that his hands and face were covered with a mixture of blood and s**t and that his flesh was seeping bodily fluids and his wife didn't really think anything was wrong. It must have smelled like satans anus in there.

:puke

Just saying.

Yeah, that is pretty disgusting. All of the interviewees had accomplices. And all of them had weights that would count as obese - oh, except for the husband of the woman interviewed- he was kind of a Jack Sprat.

But you are right, Mike, these folks' family should have done things differently.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Yeah, my thought is that if my spouse was too fat to get to the fridge, she just wouldn't eat until she could. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Yes, I hope I would not feed the habit.

But then, I am struggling with my eldest child and his expectations of what I should be doing for him, and I'm not sure I'm strong enough to not give in!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Bethy - can you share your butternut squash risotto recipe - I am having trouble finding one without cheese in it.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    This morning for breakfast I made a great and easy oatmeal recipe from fatfreevegan.com

Apple-Spice Oats

1/2 cup steel-cut oats
    2 cups water
    1/2 tsp. salt (I omitted)
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 large organic apple, coarsely chopped
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg, freshly ground (didn't have this, so I omitted)
    1/8 tsp. ground cloves

I added:
    1 date, chopped

Put all ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, lower heat to very low, and cover. Simmer for about 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I also topped with some frozen blueberries once I had it in my bowl. Mixed in, they cool the oatmeal nicely and I love me some blueberries. thumb.gif

Yummy.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 2, 2008
    Hey, I listened to another talk on my DVD last night: In the Kitchen With Dr. Fuhrman, or something like that. I'm not so into cooking, unfortunately, so I thought it would be boring.

Fascinating. Maybe I live in a cave, but I didn't realize how he cooked soups so efficiently without all the chopping, and how he gets away with throwing kale and spinach in it.

His method is to throw the small beans in the pot first -- lentils, adzuki beans, split peas -- and get them cooking. Then throw a squash in there like zucchini and a whole onion. Then lay the kale leaves on top.

After they get soft, he grabs the tongs, fishes out the big chunks and leaves, throws them into the blender to make a creamy base, and pours it back into the soup. He uses stuff like carrot and orange juice as the liquid, along with water. In the case of baby-leaf spinach, he throws them into the blender first.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    This morning for breakfast I made a great and easy oatmeal recipe from fatfreevegan.com

Apple-Spice Oats

1/2 cup steel-cut oats
    2 cups water
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. ground cloves

I added:
    1 date, chopped

Put all ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil, lower heat to very low, and cover. Simmer for about 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I also topped with some frozen blueberries once I had it in my bowl. Mixed in, they cool the oatmeal nicely and I love me some blueberries. thumb.gif

Yummy.
    Wow, 30-45 minutes for oatmeal. That's dedication! My oatmeal is some organic scottish rolled oats with twice their volume of water in a bowl (for the bad at math, I use 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup of water deal.gif) and then I nuke them for 2+30. Then I put a couple heaping helpings of this stuff:

t_117_01.gif

then smash up a banana and add some cinnamon. It's crazy good and it's done by the time David has collected all of his ingredients. lol3.gif

• Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Rolled oats just don't compare to the steel cut. deal.gif

They're fasterer, but they're also more highly processed, and I've never really enjoyed rolled oats, just a personal preference. I much prefer the steel cut, and when I make them, I'm in no rush. Sure they take a while, but they don't need much attention.

Oh, and I tried your mashed banana thing in a bowl a couple of weeks back. Nice! I added the blueberries that time, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey, I listened to another talk on my DVD last night: In the Kitchen With Dr. Fuhrman, or something like that. I'm not so into cooking, unfortunately, so I thought it would be boring.

Fascinating. Maybe I live in a cave, but I didn't realize how he cooked soups so efficiently without all the chopping, and how he gets away with throwing kale and spinach in it.

His method is to throw the small beans in the pot first -- lentils, adzuki beans, split peas -- and get them cooking. Then throw a squash in there like zucchini and a whole onion. Then lay the kale leaves on top.

After they get soft, he grabs the tongs, fishes out the big chunks and leaves, throws them into the blender to make a creamy base, and pours it back into the soup. He uses stuff like carrot and orange juice as the liquid, along with water. In the case of baby-leaf spinach, he throws them into the blender first.

Baldy, I make that soup (Dr. Furhman's Anti-Cancer Soup) every week or two. My daughter can't get enough of it, and it is a perfect dinner for me if I'm staying late at work. Friends at work love it, too. It's a huge hit.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I will also tell you that I expect to get off my buttocks and start exercising regularly - I want this to be by walking and doing outside things - I need to conquer my absolute disdain of winter - but I can't do so at -20C. I will at -10C, I promise!

I'm sure I sound like a broken record after saying it to Travis earlier (#870) but having been there until recently, there is no time like the present to get started. There is plenty you can do indoors in 15-30 minutes. The key is to start, get into the habit, the routine, even if you can't leave the house.

Then you can look at martial arts or other activities that require you to leave your house - but not workout outdoors. Check out the page (about half way down) at mormonchic.com . No Frills Home Workout. If you notice it references ivillage.com
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I'm sure I sound like a broken record after saying it to Travis earlier (#870) but having been there until recently, there is no time like the present to get started. There is plenty you can do indoors in 15-30 minutes. The key is to start, get into the habit, the routine, even if you can't leave the house.

Then you can look at martial arts or other activities that require you to leave your house - but not workout outdoors. Check out the page (about half way down) at mormonchic.com . No Frills Home Workout. If you notice it references ivillage.com

Oh I know I am guilty as charged. We own a bowflex and an eliptical trainer, so working out indoors can happen and should. I had a gym membership for years that I made great use of. I am particularly unmotivated right now and not making that first step. I go to and come from work in the dark, so going to the basement to exercise is unappealing. I have to walk past laundry piles and kid mess to get to the machines now. That and of course there is always driving, laundry and an unlimited number of lousy excuses if I chose.
    I just decided that I want to start walking outdoors and so I will start with that. I've been here before and know it will happen just as soon as I put my mind to it. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif (Feeling pretty pathetic right now!)
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Apple-Spice Oats

1/2 cup steel-cut oats
    2 cups water
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. ground cloves

I added:
    1 date, chopped

Yummy.

Yum! I've been throwing dehydrated apple slices, raisins, and cinnamon in with my steel cut oats all week. Then, I stir in chopped pecans when it's done. So delicious. clap.gif

I also do the frozen blueberry thing sometimes, and the mashed banana thing. Oatmeal is really versatile. I can't believe that I grew up just dumping brown sugar in it! eek7.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I can't believe that I grew up just dumping brown sugar in it! eek7.gif
    You hear stories like this and you just have to ask, where were the parents?

And what did they let you eat on birthdays?

6580-O-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Anne,

I made your Vegan Chili, and made one change. Instead of 3 cups of water I added 2 cups carrot juice and 1 cup celery juice. thumb.gif

It's awesome. A little hot for the kids, so I'd scale back to 2 jalapenos next time. But it's yummy. Love the bulghur in it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Anne,

I made your Vegan Chili, and made one change. Instead of 3 cups of water I added 2 cups carrot juice and 1 cup celery juice. thumb.gif

It's awesome. A little hot for the kids, so I'd scale back to 2 jalapenos next time. But it's yummy. Love the bulghur in it.

Glad to hear it! Do you use a juicer? I see some of Dr. Fuhrman's recipes call for those juices and I wondered about just vitamixing the veggies in a bit of water as a substitute. headscratch.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Glad to hear it! Do you use a juicer? I see some of Dr. Fuhrman's recipes call for those juices and I wondered about just vitamixing the veggies in a bit of water as a substitute. headscratch.gif

-Anne

We went to the 'Reno Show' today (in todays market in Edmonton, legit renovators have more work than they can handle so it wasn't that useful) and they had vitamixes on display. For only $540 cdn I could have brought one home. But I suspect I can buy one on the net for less!

We are testing this fat free vegan recipe for Caribbean squash, kale & rice. I'll let you know shortly how it is!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:

-Anne

Yes, I do. In fact, it was half broken today. Someone mishandled it since the last time I used it. I'm going to buy another tomorrow. I love using juices in soups, and especially love (as I told Baldy) Dr. Fuhrman's Anti-Cancer Soup. It's good stuff! But it makes 12 quarts, so you need a really large pot. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, I do. In fact, it was half broken today. Someone mishandled it since the last time I used it. I'm going to buy another tomorrow. I love using juices in soups, and especially love (as I told Baldy) Dr. Fuhrman's Anti-Cancer Soup. It's good stuff! But it makes 12 quarts, so you need a really large pot. thumb.gif
    I made it tonight! I had two ginormous bowls, which I deserved after my long bike ride. I absolutely loved it. I have trouble getting enough calories from veggies and this is gonna be a big help.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I made it tonight! I had two ginormous bowls, which I deserved after my long bike ride. I absolutely loved it. I have trouble getting enough calories from veggies and this is gonna be a big help.

Pretty good for someone who doesn't cook! Yeah, it's great, and there's lots of room for improvisation with it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, you should try his Black and Blue Beans and Greens, too. Same easy-peasy no cutting approach, except this time you mash it a bit with a potato masher. Lots of kale/spinach/onion/zucchini goodness. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:

-Anne

Anne,

Since I don't (yet) own a juicer I tried that when I made that amazing soup. It works, but you don't go through nearly the amount of carrots/celery that the recipe calls for.

And oh yeah, when you boil it, the pulp gets pushed to the top in a really gross brown sludge, so I ended up skimming 3 cups of it out with a sieve. Yeccch.

I suggest maybe straining it using a cheesecloth before adding it to the pot? Or just getting a juicer because thatsa lotta work.

.... but it still tasted great, even though it was a little messy! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    Small victories
    OK, this recipe is far from gourmet, but it's vegan and it contains vegetables and my 10 year old (picky eater) daughter liked it. She picked out the recipe, helped me cook it and happily ate it and that's an accomplishment in our house so I figured I'd have to share.

She wanted to help me cook dinner so I told her to go find a recipe on the internet that she would like. It had to be vegan and have vegetables in it and not be too difficult to cook. About 20 minutes later, she came out with a "quick noodle stir-fry" recipe. She loves chow mein so she reasoned that she would like this. It was very easy and very tasty. It's not quite as full of nutrients as some other things, but we'll take this small victory. You can use whatever vegetables you want - my daughter chose the only three that she will eat (broccoli, peas and green beans).

1 pkg. noodles (we used a multi-grain angel hair which has decent fiber and protein, but you can use asian noodles or whatever your favorite is)
    broccoli
    green beans
    frozen peas
    peanut oil
    soy sauce
    salt

Prepare the broccoli and green beans into bit sized chunks
    Cook the noodles
    Heat a wok or large pan pretty hot with some peanut oil
    When the noodles are almost done, stir fry the vegetables (they will only take a few minutes)
    When the vegetables are done, turn off the heat and pour in the noodles and mix them all together
    Season with salt and soy sauce to taste

With our choice of vegetables, we should have probably put the green beans in first, cooked it a bit, then put the broccoli in and added the peas last because that's in proportion to how much cooking time they needed.

I think this would be good with some mushrooms and some garlic in with the stir fried vegetables, but I was going for the maximum chance that my daughter would like it so no messing with the recipe this time.

Serve immediately in a pasta bowl. The whole recipe took 15 minutes to make and everyone in the family enjoyed it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The whole recipe took 15 minutes to make and everyone in the family enjoyed it.

Congrats!!! Its great when the kids enjoy things, isn't it!!!!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Okay, so here is my review of the recipe I tried tonight. I was inspired by Bethy mentioning using up the winter veggies and her prep of a squash risotto, so went in search of a recipe. Found this one on Fat Free Vegan, and it sounded good.
    I have never before eaten Kale, nor has hubby.
    The finished product was good, but I had to modify the recipe tonight, and would suggest some further modifications as well.
    First off, it is a nice, colorful dish. There is no oil used in this recipe. The veggies are water sauteed in a non stick skillet:

250219658-M.jpg

I ended up adding about 2 cups of additional water to fully cook the rice. I had wanted to transfer it to my dutch oven after sauteing the veg, but it was full of left overs so I couldn't. I think covering the dish would prevented the additional water, but it wasn't a big deal anyway.

It was really tasty, and I must say I thought the Kale tasted really good - much like spinach.
    250221371-M.jpg

When I make it next time I will make the following changes:
    more rice
    more spice - it is quite mild as is.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay, so here is my review of the recipe I tried tonight.

Ann that look great! And (miracle of miracles) we have everything except the lime in the fridge right now. I know what's for dinner tomorrow night.

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Recipe for Iced Tea.

Ingredients
    6 regular-size tea bags - 5 black or green tea bags and one earl gray tea bag.
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda (a good pinch)
    2 cups boiling water
    6 cups cold water
    Granulated sugar or other sweetener to taste (optional - I'd love suggestions on better ways to sweeten tea)

Directions
    1. In a glass measuring cup or ceramic teapot large enough to accommodate the boiling water, place the tea bags and baking soda. Pour the boiling water over the tea bags. Cover and let steep for 15 minutes.

2. Remove the tea bags, being careful not to squeeze them (squeezing the bags will add bitterness).

3. Pour the concentrate into a two-quart pitcher and add the cold water. Sweeten, if desired. (Some Southerners put in as much as 1 1/2 cups of sugar.)

4. Let cool, then chill and serve over ice.

Makes two quarts.

Hints
    Tea will become cloudy if refrigerated while still warm. Add a little boiling water to clear up the cloudiness.

The tannins in tea also cause cloudiness when the tea is brewed in hard water. If you know you have minerals in your water, use bottled or filtered water.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Mike, I've seen many iced tea recipes but nothing quite like that. What does the baking soda do? ear.gif

On the subject of tea, I picked this up yesterday and it's a new favorite. I go through a lot of tea and weaned myself off of sweeteners, but I never got used to the idea of drinking black coffee. But I miss coffee. This tea has the richness off coffee, the spiciness of chai and the lightness of the barley tea I grew up with.

I'm surprised at the amount of tea out there that have strange ingredients on the list. I never thought that simple, dried herbs could be so processed. Anyway AFAIK there's nothing odd about this one.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

I forgot to mention that I often put some curry in it, while reheating I'll put in 1/2-1 tsp. of curry powder in about 3 cups of the soup. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Mike,

Here's a recipe for Yogi Tea I used to make a lot. Now that I don't do soy I don't really make it, but it's a really good spiced tea. It's Ayurvedic and aids digestion. You can add more actual tea to it. The tea has a property that kind of binds all the other elements together, ayurvedically, I guess, so the amount is the amount needed for that purpose.

Ingredients:

2 quarts water
    15 whole cloves
    20 black peppercorns
    3 sticks cinnamon
    20 green cardamom pods, crushed or split
    8 or more 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh ginger root
    1/2 tsp. black tea

Prep. Time: 3 hours
    Yield: 2 quarts

Bring water to boil in a 3- to 4-quart pot. Add cloves and boil for 1*minute. Then add black peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom pods and ginger root.

Cover and boil gently for at least 30*minutes. (For best flavor, cover tightly and boil over a low heat for 2*to 3*hours).

After boiling, turn off and add black tea (do not omit) and let tea cool. Strain tea and refrigerate.

To serve, reheat and sweeten to taste with honey or maple syrup. Add soy milk.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Shhhhhhh, don't tell them, but I put a large handful of spinach and a spoonful of flax meal in the fruit smoothie I made this morning - kids are slurpin' it down right now, none the wiser!!!

It has about 500g of frozen blackberries, same amount of frozen mango, an overripe banana, and the only juice I had to help the blender handle it was ruby grapefruit.