Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    VEE1 wrote:
    I'm not a chef either, but I did win the vegan category at the british open cookery champs a few years ago, so should be able to come up with something -

I've also got an excellent recipe for using the squash, greens and mushrooms if you want it?

John (et al) :eat I'm going to the market on Thursday, throw some recipes at me!
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    I already feel better just after a couple days not eating the junk foods, sodas and meats I normally would be eating. We made a soup with Kale, Mushrooms, Potatoes, corn, Celery, carrots, eggplant, green peppers, red peppers, onions, and vegetable broth. All fresh and organic.

We'll work on seasoning a bit, but it was good and easy to make! I have never eaten some of those things. I have always had issues with squishy, but the taste wasn't bad as I'd always felt. I actually thought my lunch salad looked delicious, and whoofed it down! :D
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:
    I already feel better just after a couple days not eating the junk foods, sodas and meats I normally would be eating. We made a soup with Kale, Mushrooms, Potatoes, corn, Celery, carrots, eggplant, green peppers, red peppers, onions, and vegetable broth. All fresh and organic.

We'll work on seasoning a bit, but it was good and easy to make! I have never eaten some of those things. I have always had issues with squishy, but the taste wasn't bad as I'd always felt. I actually thought my lunch salad looked delicious, and whoofed it down! :D
    Baldy, or anyone, do you know much about Brenden Brazier and his book The Thrive Diet? It looks like he's very much on board with the whole foods, plant-based diet thing but gives a lot of information about how athletes (and us mere mortals training for marathons) should eat. ear.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:

I still have issue with mushy, and solve that by blending the soups! May not look appetizing to others, but it is delicious.

I season with various things from fresh rosemary, tiny amounts of salt & pepper, oregano to a pretty generous amount of curry paste. I love curry so can disguise most things that way.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I still have issue with mushy, and solve that by blending the soups! May not look appetizing to others, but it is delicious.

I season with various things from fresh rosemary, tiny amounts of salt & pepper, oregano to a pretty generous amount of curry paste. I love curry so can disguise most things that way.

ann

I thought about that...somewhere in here, Baldy talked about softening up the Kale leaves in a soup, then blending them and pouring it back in. I thought I'd try to eat it (eating bread with it helped...whole grain wheat with nothing hydrogenated or processed, of course), but if that didn't work too well, I was going to strain out the more difficult parts and blend them before pouring back into the soup.

It tasted good, just the mushy part got me a bit.
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    In December, Andy sent me some yummy date nut pop 'ems so I wouldn't be dependent on gross hospital food after delivering Mackenzie.

I got hooked. However, at $16 a pop, they are pretty spendy! Dr. Fuhrman says his family goes through a pound a day... that's a whole package right there. I looked at the ingredients (all raw: dates, cashews, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, carob, cinnamon) and decided to make 'em myself.

They took all of five minutes to make and they are even better than the real thing (so says my finicky husband anyway). :D

I've made two batches so far, and I'll probably make a few more before I put the food processor back on the shelf.

Here's what I did:

Filled a 1 cup measuring cup about half full with almonds, then added walnuts to overflowing. I shook in a good amount of raw sunflower seeds (the walnuts leave lots of empty space).

I dumped that in a food processor and put in a few really good shakes of cinnamon. I processed it for probably 30 seconds or so, then tossed in three pitted medjool dates and blended it up again. That's it! I just smashed the stuff into little balls using my hands and stored them in a tupperware container.

The second batch, I used 1 TBS of Dr. Fuhrman's cocoa powder and 1 tsp of cinnamon. They are very decadent and delicious. clap.gif

Now as I look at my Larabar wrappers, seems like I could make all sorts of flavors with my base of nuts and dates. No more paying $2 for a tiny bar! :ivar

On my list to try: Pecans, cashews, pistachios, unsweetened coconut, apples, cloves, lemon zest, lime zest, raisins & cinnamon...

-Anne
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    On my list to try: Pecans, cashews, pistachios, unsweetened coconut, apples, cloves, lemon zest, lime zest, raisins & cinnamon...

-Anne
    Sounds like great camping fare mwink.gif I wonder if nutmeg would be good with that? Maybe dried goji berries? mmm goji berries.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Anne,

That's a lot like my the almond/cocoa/date stuff I've been experimenting with. One batch turned out almost like fudge, and the other is more like a whipped cocoa topping. Both good, and raw cocoa is awesome. I add some water to get a spreadable consistency, and to try to get my vitamix to be able to cope with it. I'm still playing with it, but may abandon it in exchange for what you've done. I'm certainly going to give it a try! But I'll tell you, I'm really liking a bit of pita with a smear of almond cocoa on it. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Anne,

That's a lot like my the almond/cocoa/date stuff I've been experimenting with. One batch turned out almost like fudge, and the other is more like a whipped cocoa topping. Both good, and raw cocoa is awesome. I add some water to get a spreadable consistency, and to try to get my vitamix to be able to cope with it. I'm still playing with it, but may abandon it in exchange for what you've done. I'm certainly going to give it a try! But I'll tell you, I'm really liking a bit of pita with a smear of almond cocoa on it. thumb.gif

Yeah yours looked yummy. I've been just waiting for you to perfect it so I can steal your recipe. mwink.gif

Mine leaves the nuts a bit more coarse and it ends up being a moist, crumb-like consistency. It doesn't clump or anything until you use your hands.

It's amazing how much I'm learning now that I'm keeping an open mind about "treats". If you told me a year ago that I'd be devouring date nut balls... I would have laughed. After all, only hippies eat date nut balls.rolleyes1.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Yeah yours looked yummy. I've been just waiting for you to perfect it so I can steal your recipe. mwink.gif

Mine leaves the nuts a bit more coarse and it ends up being a moist, crumb-like consistency. It doesn't clump or anything until you use your hands.

It's amazing how much I'm learning now that I'm keeping an open mind about "treats". If you told me a year ago that I'd be devouring date nut balls... I would have laughed. After all, only hippies eat date nut balls.rolleyes1.gif

-Anne

I'm suddenly thinking of Chef (of South Park)....

Anyway, I also wanted to mention to all, that I am the official Tastebook guinea pig. I've ordered a copy, even though we've only 28 recipes (out of a possible 100) in the book so far, but I have credit for the remaining 72 pages, which will ship to me whenever I want for $1.95 for up to 25 pages at a time. I just couldn't wait to see this thing, and I was tired of dealing with these recipes on scraps of paper. I'll be sure to report back with a review!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    Anne

If your looking for snack food to try to make yourself and share recipes with us mwink.gifmwink.gif then here is a snack that I buy occasionally from Costco:

Mrs. Mays Cran-blueberry Crunch

If you figure out a home brew version of it, I'd love to hear it.

ann
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 6, 2008
    Uh oh. Here's the thing: Dr. Fuhrman's pop-ums are good but not so good that I lose control.

Larabars? Meh. A little too sweet for me.

That's two bits of good news for me because I don't want stuff that's really tempting around the house if it is pretty calorie dense because I end up reaching for them instead of going into the back yard and picking an orange to eat.

Now the bad news. These things are irresistible. You don't want to 1-click those. Oops. I accidentally 1-clicked a box to Anne.

Worse, don't make the mistake of accidentally getting the cacao-mocha versions. YUM! I mean, gross. Baldy, thou shalt not click on that version again.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Uh oh. Here's the thing: Dr. Fuhrman's pop-ums are good but not so good that I lose control.

Larabars? Meh. A little too sweet for me.

That's two bits of good news for me because I don't want stuff that's really tempting around the house if it is pretty calorie dense because I end up reaching for them instead of going into the back yard and picking an orange to eat.

Now the bad news. These things are irresistible. You don't want to 1-click those.

Worse, don't make the mistake of accidentally getting the cacao-mocha versions. YUM! I mean, gross. Baldy, thou shalt not click on that version again.
    Sez the dude who runs 100 miles a day and he's worried about a little bar.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sez the dude who runs 100 miles a day and he's worried about a little bar.... rolleyes1.gif
    Haha. I have a big race in the heat in April in Arizona. I gotsa be a skinny boy for that.

Andy, I found a race for you. It doesn't pound the back, it's not too long, it's in your neighborhood and the view is hard to beat at the finish:

http://www.friedquads.com/showthread.php?t=432
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Haha. I have a big race in the heat in April in Arizona. I gotsa be a skinny boy for that.

Andy, I found a race for you. It doesn't pound the back, it's not too long, it's in your neighborhood and the view is hard to beat at the finish:

http://www.friedquads.com/showthread.php?t=432
    Back in the day (good gried, that was 22years ago!) I did the race up Mt. Washington, (NH, 8 miles straight up hill, 6,288 foot mountain)... I did it after going 5000+ miles across country on my bicycle, and I totally 0wned everyone, including a mess of elite guys from the area. I was the outsider with steel legs. That was fun.

Running up the ESB now, hrm.... okay, NO!
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Speaking of races, here's one for you Baldy!!!
    I know guys that have done this, and cannot wait to do so again. It's kind of in my neighborhood too.

ann
  • Options
    FierytreeFierytree Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Speaking of races, here's one for you Baldy!!!
    I know guys that have done this, and cannot wait to do so again. It's kind of in my neighborhood too.

ann
    "Canadian Death Race"
    ...hmm...that sounds nice.
    I guess the desire for such an adventure comes after more than four days on this new (to me) 'mindfully eating well' diet. rolleyes1.gif

P.S. AnneMcBean - thanks for your snack recipe! Sounds awesome (and easy!!)!
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Recipes from our dinner last night
    251791416-M.jpg

I craved indianish food last night and needed to cook up assorted veggies before the produce box came (I did have to get cilantro and mint from the store), and kept track on a pad of what I was doing so I could tell you guys (I usually don't) Here's what I did for each:

Mint chutney

1 bunch fresh mint
    1 bunch fresh coriander
    6-8 cloves garlic
    1" piece of ginger
    2 + green chillies
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tb lime juice

Put everything in a food processor and grind up. Chill.

Potato-stuff

2 small-medium potatoes, small cubes
    1/2 bunch of mustard greens, finely chopped
    1/2 head of cauliflower, in smallish pieces
    1/2 onion, chopped

2 tsp mustard seeds
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp coriander seeds
    1 tablespoon curry powder, plus assorted curry-powder-related spices as desired
    1+ chopped chilis, if you like it hot

2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/2 cup of unsweetened soy milk (optional)

If you're using the soy milk, mix with lemon and let sit. I had some to use up and figured it would be sort of like yogurt or something in there.

Heat dry non-stick or well seasoned pan. Add seeds and cook until they start popping, add curry + whatever spices. Add onions and fry for a few minutes, adding water if it starts to stick. Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more, adding water or broth if it starts to stick. Add cauliflower and mustard greens. Cook with lid on for a while, until everything is quite tender (10 min or more) mixing every few minutes and adding water if it starts to stick. Add lemon juice or soy milk mixture at the very end, let absorb and turn off heat. Taste this as you go, adding salt, pepper, other spices as needed.

Crepe-wrapper-things

2 cups garbanzo flour
    2 cups water
    cumin, paprika, garlic salt (whatever really)

Whisk together. Add more water if batter isn't fairly thin, I had about 3 cups batter in the end.

Heat non-stick or well seasoned large pan. Pour in batter to thinly cover most of the pan. Let cook. Flip when it looks dry enough to flip (quite dry). Remove crepe thing from pan and make another. Repeat until all batter is gone, stacking crepes as you go. Be gentle with them, but also remember it's not the end of the world if one tears, they still taste good. I used a 1/4 cup measure to put the batter in the pan.

Take each crepe and fill with a little less than a half cup of potato-stuff, roll up and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with oil spray. They can then all sit a while until you're ready to eat, then bake at 350 until heated through and a teeny bit crisp, or you can eat them with out baking while still hot from the pan. Or you can make the crepes and filling separately and assemble and bake the next day, I think. This is the first time I made them so I'm just guessing. Serve with the mint chutney.

Curry

1/2 cup defatted dried unsweetened coconut (I got mine from whole foods to make some vegan pumpkin pie stuff for a birthday a while back)
    5 dates
    2 cup boiling water
    large size can of whole or chopped tomatoes
    4 cloves garlic
    2 or more chilis if hotness is desired
    1/2 chopped onion

6 curry leaves (I had these in my freezer)
    2 tablespoons curry powder
    salt

4 cups green beans halved
    4 small yellow squash sliced
    4 small chinese eggplant sliced

cilantro

Add boiling water to coconut and dates and let sit. When cool, put in blender with ingredients through chopped onion and blend until no chunks remain. I also added half a container of fresh salsa, as it's the same as the rest of the ingredients and I wanted to use it up.

Heat large, deep pan, add curry powder (I used this great red curry powder I have, quite hot, and not tumericy, so it was nice and different than the curry powder I used in the potatoes) and heat until fragrant. Add mix from blender. Add eggplant. cook for 5 min or so, then add other veggies and curry leaves. These veggies are just what I had around. Add salt and more spices to taste. cook until they're tender and delicious. Add cilantro. Serve with brown rice if desired, or eat as-is (as shown in pic)

Salad

1/4 head purple cabbage

mix and add to cabbage:

juice from one very juicy lime
    tablespoon orange juice
    tablespoon champagne vinegar
    1/2 tablespoon brown/dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    salt

let sit for a while

1/2 red onion, chopped
    3 navel oranges, skins sliced off and cut into small pieces
    sliced sweet peppers
    baby spinach

make a bed of spinach, layer on cabbage and other ingredients. crack some pepper over the top if desired. eat.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Now the bad news. These things are irresistible. You don't want to 1-click those. Oops. I accidentally 1-clicked a box to Anne.

:ivar

Thanks, Dad! You better tell Mom you can resist the date nut pop 'ems... she saw that I made them and is planning on whipping you up a batch. Maybe she'll try and recreate a Nectar bar instead? mwink.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    I wish you would have posted about the mocha ones being gross before I clicked on a box of those and a box of the cocoa raspberry ones (allergic to walnuts)... oh well, maybe I'll like them. Why can't you be more psychic?
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    In December, Andy sent me some yummy date nut pop 'ems so I wouldn't be dependent on gross hospital food after delivering Mackenzie.

I got hooked. However, at $16 a pop, they are pretty spendy! Dr. Fuhrman says his family goes through a pound a day... that's a whole package right there. I looked at the ingredients (all raw: dates, cashews, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, carob, cinnamon) and decided to make 'em myself.

They took all of five minutes to make and they are even better than the real thing (so says my finicky husband anyway). :D

I've made two batches so far, and I'll probably make a few more before I put the food processor back on the shelf.

Here's what I did:

Filled a 1 cup measuring cup about half full with almonds, then added walnuts to overflowing. I shook in a good amount of raw sunflower seeds (the walnuts leave lots of empty space).

I dumped that in a food processor and put in a few really good shakes of cinnamon. I processed it for probably 30 seconds or so, then tossed in three pitted medjool dates and blended it up again. That's it! I just smashed the stuff into little balls using my hands and stored them in a tupperware container.

The second batch, I used 1 TBS of Dr. Fuhrman's cocoa powder and 1 tsp of cinnamon. They are very decadent and delicious. clap.gif

Now as I look at my Larabar wrappers, seems like I could make all sorts of flavors with my base of nuts and dates. No more paying $2 for a tiny bar! :ivar

-Anne

I made some of these last night.

1 cup almonds
    1 cup walnuts
    1 heaping TBS raw cocoa
    10 dates

In my food processor, and they're great! Yep, they're not creamy smooth like my other experiments, but they're dang good.

The problem with my cocoa cream is that it really really really strains the VM, which always shuts down with the overheating protection thingy when I'm making it. I have a new theory about how to make it, but will wait until I've achieved success before I bore you all with it.

Oh, and my daughter took one of the cocoa balls in her lunch today. She likes 'em! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    I ordered the Tastebook yesterday, and was told it would take up to 5 days to process and ship. I just received an email saying it shipped, less than 24 hours after I ordered it. clap.gif

I wonder if they're just slow? I mean, the site is still beta, maybe the volume isn't up yet? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Bars I made this morning
    This recipe was originally the one I posed a while back that I wanted to try, but the version here is the one I actually made (since I was working with what I had around), and just had one of. Really yummy, I think. Image pending (flash is out of batteries)

Ingredients
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 bag (about a cup) of pitted dates
    2 cup whole raw almonds with skins
    3/4 cup mixed dried unsweetened fruit (I had some from a bulk bin with dried pears, apricots, prunes etc...)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
    1/2 cup raw pine nuts
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 300°. Pour orange juice over dates and let soak 5 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, place almonds and dried mixed fruit in a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely chopped. Add salt and dates with orange juice and pulse until mixture starts to stick together. Add pumpkin seeds and pine nuts, pulsing a few times just to incorporate.

3. Using wet hands, flatten into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 16 bars.

4. Arrange pieces about 1 in. apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes. Using a heatproof spatula, turn bars over and bake another 8 minutes, or until nuts are toasted (but before fruit begins to burn). Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar (this is from their recipe, but I looked up nutrition for my subs and they were almost exactly the same).

Yield
    Makes 16 bars

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 210(56% from fat); FAT 13g (sat 1.4g); PROTEIN 6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; SODIUM 76mg; FIBER 3.5g; CARBOHYDRATE 22g
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    And they was good.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    And they was good.

Sam

Was?

They go fast, eh?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    I must confess that I am an emotional eater.... when I am agitated or stressed I consume more, and want more rich stuff. Sigh.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Me too. Work has been very stressful lately, but I've been managing to stick to munching on raw veggies and satsuma mandarins when I feel anxious and want an english muffin to soothe myself after dealing with a sticky bug or angry client... I have had two of my bars today though. Then I went on a walk and played with a dog instead of having a third.

In Shizam's defense, he only had one bar (the lucky jerk is someone who forgets to eat when he's stressed and I have to remind him that when you start having a hard time concentrating or get cranky it might mean you need to eat, especially when you haven't for 6 hours)
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I must confess that I am an emotional eater.... when I am agitated or stressed I consume more, and want more rich stuff. Sigh.

Same thing a lot of folks do with a lot of different substances or activities. Paying attention to it is a good thing.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    In Shizam's defense, he only had one bar (the lucky jerk is someone who forgets to eat when he's stressed and I have to remind him that when you start having a hard time concentrating or get cranky it might mean you need to eat, especially when you haven't for 6 hours)

!!!

No need to defend. I was just saying they sound yummy, and the fact that they go fast says it all! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Ha, defense wasn't the right word at all, sorry about that. They did get gobbled up within 10 min of him arriving at work with the bulk of the batch, is what I meant.