Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    Ann, you really don't need juice, water is just fine. thumb.gif It's all I use.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Ann, you really don't need juice, water is just fine. thumb.gif It's all I use.

Yes, when the blender continued to struggle I added a cup of water rather than more juice. And actually the flavor that didn't fit was the grapefruit. Previously, I would have put a 1L container of vanilla yogurt in too. Not this time, and again, no one noticed it missing.

We have a non branded smoothie maker that actually works really well, so until it quits functioning I can delay the vita mix purchase.

Next adventure for the day is to figure out tonight's dinner.

I tried to find steel cut oats yesterday, and couldn't. The produce section at our market is really bleak these days too. I have big plans for a big veggie garden this summer, let me tell you.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yes, when the blender continued to struggle I added a cup of water rather than more juice. And actually the flavor that didn't fit was the grapefruit. Previously, I would have put a 1L container of vanilla yogurt in too. Not this time, and again, no one noticed it missing.

We have a non branded smoothie maker that actually works really well, so until it quits functioning I can delay the vita mix purchase.

Next adventure for the day is to figure out tonight's dinner.

I tried to find steel cut oats yesterday, and couldn't. The produce section at our market is really bleak these days too. I have big plans for a big veggie garden this summer, let me tell you.

The oats are also called Irish Oats or Scottish Oats. McCann's are probably the easiest to find, I think.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Anyone have a recipe for apple crumble or muffins that doesn't contain a whack of butter?

I need to use up several granny smiths, and think turning them into an oat laden dessert would be good.

ann
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    The oats are also called Irish Oats or Scottish Oats. McCann's are probably the easiest to find, I think.
    If steel cut oats are called Scottish oats, then I've been eating steel cut oats instead of rolled oats as I assumed they were.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    If steel cut oats are called Scottish oats, then I've been eating steel cut oats instead of rolled oats as I assumed they were.

Yeah, rolled oats are the flat Quaker style oats. I'm pretty sure the Scottish are like the Irish oats? Anyway, you can get quick cooking steel cut oats, as well, but the faster the oats cook, the more processed they've been.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    So, I replaced my old juicer today. I had a Juiceman Jr., about $70 cheapy. It was all plastic, and the plastic broke. I had read up on the net about juicers, and decided I wanted a Breville. I stood there looking at the plastic, but well-constructed one for $149 and the stainless one for $299. I had a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath and Beyond in my hand, and a desire to get a quality juicer, so I got this one, which, with the coupon was only (heh!) $240.

Well, I don't have much to compare it to, since my old one was so crappy, but I LOVE THIS JUICER. Granted, I've only used it once, but it's a great juicer, in my estimation. I also think the cheaper one is fine, too, if y'all are interested, I recommend the Brevilles.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    More! Power!
    DavidTO wrote:
    So, I replaced my old juicer today. I had a Juiceman Jr., about $70 cheapy. It was all plastic, and the plastic broke. I had read up on the net about juicers, and decided I wanted a Breville. I stood there looking at the plastic, but well-constructed one for $149 and the stainless one for $299. I had a 20% off coupon at Bed, Bath and Beyond in my hand, and a desire to get a quality juicer, so I got this one, which, with the coupon was only (heh!) $240.

Well, I don't have much to compare it to, since my old one was so crappy, but I LOVE THIS JUICER. Granted, I've only used it once, but it's a great juicer, in my estimation. I also think the cheaper one is fine, too, if y'all are interested, I recommend the Brevilles.

:wow That juicer looks like a building, not a kitchen appliance!

Be careful with what you throw in there to experiment. I was so impressed when I got my VM I was willing to try it with nuts and bolts. rolleyes1.gif

How often do you juice things just to drink... juice?
  • Options
    VEE1VEE1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2008
    Vegan potato cakes
    I'm not a chef either, but I did win the vegan category at the british open cookery champs a few years ago, so should be able to come up with something - noticed the Faringdon address, is that Faringdon near oxford in england, or some other faringdon?. For the vegan creme fresh, you could cheat completely and use vegan creme fresh (yep, available at leading health food stores, but not the one in Wantage). Next option is vegan sour creme or vegan creme cheese (avail in Wantage) - now two brands avail in the UK and even my mum - a hardened don't feed me that vegan muck northerner, is a convert. Getting some binding can be a bit more of a challenge, but not that much more - I just don't use the egg and accept the more delicate texture. You can try experimenting with some of the following: Add a little flour to the mashed potato, add a little corn flour to the mash, add a little arrow root to the mash.

In place of the butter I wouldn't use oil, it might make them a bit slimey, I'd go for soya margarine, which will also help rich it up a bit.headscratch.gif If you really want to go cheating mad, then the cheese could be substituted for a slice of vegan mozzarella - melts perfectly! OK so that was the cheating way. If you want to health it up, then I'd just omit the creme and the cheese, add a little flour (self raising will lighten the cakes a little) and still use the soya marg. I'd also add a good grind or two of black pepper. Try serving them with a squeeze of lemon!

An alternative and very healthy recipe using similar ingredients is a kind of spanish fritta that I came up with last week, using polenta flour. I've also got an excellent recipe for using the squash, greens and mushrooms if you want it?

Enjoy! clap.gif (I really shouldn't write about food just before bed, am now hungry again!).

John.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

How often do you juice things just to drink... juice?

Not as much lately, but I like them. And Beverly really wants to juice more. I don't think I'll ever be doing it daily, but sometimes...anyway, using it for soups is worth it to me, and this one is really better, but the one that was 1/2 the price would be fine, too, IMO. Weaker motor, plastic, but fine. Heck, my last one was fine, as crappy as it was. Harder to clean and more rickety. I was actually saying to Bev, "I can't wait till this thing breaks and I can replace it." A week later, my wish was answered. BTW, this new one extracts more juice per vegetable. The pulp is noticeably drier.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    This is the cheaper juicer, if you're interested.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    This is a recipe I've had for years, got it from an old chiropractor of mine, and I've modified it. I just made this for the first time in years, and I can't believe it took me so long. I love this stuff. Seriously good.

Kitcheree
    Ingredients:
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    1 cup mung beans
    1 cup brown basmati rice
    4 cups water
    3 cups carrot juice
    2 cups celery juice
    (or you can just use 9 cups of water!)
    6-7 cups assorted vegetables, chopped (carrots, celery, zucchini, etc.)
    4-8 cups green swiss chard, chopped, stems removed
    ½ medium onion, chopped
    1/3 cup minced ginger root (peeled)
    2 cloves garlic
    1 heaping tsp. turmeric
    ½ tsp. pepper
    1 heaping tsp. garam masala
    1 tsp. crushed red chiles
    1 Tbsp. sweet basil
    2 bay leaves
    seeds of 5 cardamon pods
    Bragg's liquid aminos to taste

Rinse beans and rice.
    Bring water to a boil, add rice and beans and let boil over a
    medium flame.
    Meanwhile, chop the vegetables and add to the cooking rice and
    beans.
    Heat a couple of Tbs. of olive oil in a large
    frying pan. To this, add the onion, garlic, and ginger, and saute over
    a medium-high flame until they begin to brown. Add the turmeric,
    pepper, garam masala, and red chiles. When nicely done, add this
    mixture to the cooking mung beans, rice, and vegetables.

Stir the pot often to prevent scorching. Add the herbs and continue
    to cook until completely well done over a medium-low flame. The
    consistency should be rich, thick, and stew-like, with ingredients barely discernible. The mung beans should be split open and soft.

This dish is used in Ayurvedic diet as a fasting food. People will fast on this alone for up to 40 days. It's supposed to be very easy on the digestion (Yogi Bajhan calls it "pre-digested", but that sounds kind of gross, huh?)

Anyway, enjoy! thumb.gif

EDIT: I modified the recipe, increasing the amount of vegetables in it (which is what I've been doing lately, I just hadn't updated the recipe to reflect the change.)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    VEE1 wrote:
    I'm not a chef either, but I did win the vegan category at the british open cookery champs a few years ago, so should be able to come up with something -
    An alternative and very healthy recipe using similar ingredients is a kind of spanish fritta that I came up with last week, using polenta flour. I've also got an excellent recipe for using the squash, greens and mushrooms if you want it?
    John.

Yes, please, share the recipes if you don't mind!!!

ann
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    The kitcheree is in the TB. I'm on an Indian kick lately but just haven't had time to play too much. It sounds yummy, and is going on the (very long) list of things to cook in the next couple of weeks. There aren't enough meals in a day! :D

VEE1... Yes please!!!
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Recipe for Iced Tea.

At the risk of being dubbed "Mr. Appliance", I'll chime in and mention that my step-daughter has a special fondness for iced green tea. We got this and it works a charm. Just sayin'. Easy peasy.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    That weblinks thing on top of my Gmail was actually useful for a change. This looks yummy! (substituting for the brown sugar of course)
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    I need to figure out portions for making smoothies. This made way more than I needed. eek7.gif

I'll get there...

b8ee792e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    First thing to cut back on, IMO, is the soy milk. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    At the risk of being dubbed "Mr. Appliance", I'll chime in and mention that my step-daughter has a special fondness for iced green tea. We got this and it works a charm. Just sayin'. Easy peasy.
    lol3.gif You must have a much bigger kitchen than I do. Have her use part earl gray in her fancy pants tea maker, it's delicious.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 4, 2008
    Diabetes costs the U.S. more than wars and disasters. :cry

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-01-23-diabetes-cost_N.htm
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    First thing to cut back on, IMO, is the soy milk. thumb.gif

Here I thought cutting out the fast food would come first. I used to practically live at the Carl's Jr. at Janss and Moorpark. Today's the first time I've ever had Soy Milk. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:
    Here I thought cutting out the fast food would come first. I used to practically live at the Carl's Jr. at Janss and Moorpark. Today's the first time I've ever had Soy Milk. eek7.gif

Hah! Yeah, those zucchini things were the healthy alternative, eh? All I'm saying re: soy milk is you can make a smoothie that's 90% fruits/vegetables and 10% liquid. It's healthier, more nutrition.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hah! Yeah, those zucchini things were the healthy alternative, eh? All I'm saying re: soy milk is you can make a smoothie that's 90% fruits/vegetables and 10% liquid. It's healthier, more nutrition.

I only used it to make it less thick, so I didn't use much. I'll probably try it with water if needed in the future. I shoulda thrown a pineapple in there. I just the copy of the China Study Baldy sent me, so I got some reading to do wings.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif Kale does not reheat well - my leftovers of this
    are bitter tasting.

The smoothie I made yesterday, with the hidden flax and spinach, was consumed by everyone but me!

Tonight is a run to soccer with no time for cooking night, last nights leftovers are angel hair pasta with leeks and scallops( a little treat, and the gang ate the alternate, meat sauce and whole wheat fettucini instead) that I know won't reheat well. Sigh - this is where things fall apart for me. Not to mention that last nights experiment with cooking broccolini was a failure, too.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Kale does not reheat well - my leftovers of this
    are bitter tasting.

Tonight is a run to soccer with no time for cooking night, last nights leftovers are angel hair pasta with leeks and scallops( a little treat, and the gang ate the alternate, meat sauce and whole wheat fettucini instead) that I know won't reheat well. Sigh - this is where things fall apart for me. Not to mention that last nights experiment with cooking broccolini was a failure, too.

Sorry to hear that, Ann, for you being on the wrong side of that taste experiment. For really busy weeknights I turn to Anne's wonderful chili or her split pea soup. Both reheat well and gets better each day, so I make a week's worth when I do.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, Ann, for you being on the wrong side of that taste experiment. For really busy weeknights I turn to Anne's wonderful chili or her split pea soup. Both reheat well and gets better each day, so I make a week's worth when I do.

I ate chili all week two weeks ago, and my own curry veggie soup all week last week. It's time for something new or to resurrect something old. I bought groceries yesterday and didn't come home with much new - 'cept the broccolini that got burnt.

Oh well, hummous and pita or curry chick peas are quick and delicious.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    Just looked at a recipe on Epicurious, and it linked to this site for detailed nutritional information for that recipe. I haven't looked around too much, but it looks like a really neat tool.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Diabetes costs the U.S. more than wars and disasters. :cry

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-01-23-diabetes-cost_N.htm

Yeah and it is really scary when you look at all the itmes that are recommended by both the American Dibetes Association and the Heart Association...Just Plain Scary.......I sat thru my diabetes class and the question was asked what to do if one needed a quick meal on the run.....and the answers were.........slim fast diet (still full of sugar)....all sorts of Protein Bars (also full of sugar).......NOT one thing that was given as an alternative meal is healthy.....now my insurance doesn't want me tsting more than 2 or 3 times a day.....I used to test every 1 1/2 hrours so some where around 10 times a day so I could get a good grasp on what each kind of food did to me.......

Well looks like when I buy groceries next it will be to make reciepes from ETL........about half way to the reciepes now........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Whole grains (not processed) are good for you
    Results from the study showed that waist circumference and body weight decreased significantly in both groups – between 8-11 pounds on average – but weight loss in the abdominal region was significantly greater in the whole grain group.

According to Katcher, the whole grain group experienced a 38 percent decrease in C-reactive protein levels in their blood. A high level of this inflammatory marker is thought to place patients at a higher risk for diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Healthy people cost more

So that's one strike against this thread lol3.gif