• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    There's no science to this, but this method works for me:

It's tough to deal w/ thin pitas. One way you can work w/ them to make them more pliable is take your pitas in some foil and lightly moisten them under a faucet. Then place them in an oven/toaster oven for about 15 minutes @ 350ish.

The way I slightly moisten mine is a bit hard to describe, but works perfectly.
    Turn on your tap water and set the nozzle so it sprays vs a straight stream. Then take the pitas that are sitting on top of the foil and in one smooth (and pretty fast) motion, run the pitas under the faucet from left to right (or whichever direction). This will get them just wet enough to do the trick.

After they come out of the oven they will be allot more pliable.

HTH

I warm pitas all the time to make them softer (actually works with all kinds of bread). I do the same moistening trick that is described here (quick flick under a slight drizzle of a faucet just to moisten, but not get too wet), but then I put them in a large ziplock (remove as much air as possible from the ziplock) and microwave them on 50% power for about 20 seconds per pita. Because all the moisture is trapped in the ziplock and the microwave energy is absorbed mostly by the water, you get a quick steaming effect which really warms and softens. Soft, moist pitas in less than 2 minutes. Works well for restoring some life to those pitas that are a few days old too. We do this all the time. Works well with whole grain bagels too. Makes them feel like they just came out of the oven.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    More new things from the grocery store:
    I bought Asparagus and avocado yesterday.
    I eat asparagus when served by others but have never prepared it ourselves. Inspired to try since it is asparagus season (Michael Pollen would approve).

Last night we had a delicious meal. Hubby has been out of town 2 days this week. I was gone 5 days last week. Neither of us have been eating well. (Well, I have been this past week as I needed to 'detox') Anyway, we had asparagus and it was great. Roasted baby potatoes (local company grows potatoes year round in a greenhouse type facility - bags of fresh baby potatoes - nummy). Sautéed peppers and onions dressed with balsamic vinager & capers. And pan seared salmon. Okay so that isn't vegan but it was the only meat this week for me, and I only had a tiny bit.
    And just the two of us at the dining room table. A nice treat indeed.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I ... microwave them on 50% power for about 20 seconds
    I'm a bit paranoid about plastics and microwaves. And this paranoia goes well before any of these recent case studies aboout plastics. My dad was a scientist and we used to do all kinds of crazy experimants. Some were quite disasterous and this is the reason I don't microwave any plastics. Even if they say microwave safe.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm a bit paranoid about plastics and microwaves. And this paranoia goes well before any of these recent case studies aboout plastics. My dad was a scientist and we used to do all kinds of crazy experimants. Some were quite disasterous and this is the reason I don't microwave any plastics. Even if they say microwave safe.

Then, I guess you could put them in a glass dish with a lid. The oven is just soooo energy inefficient for lightly heating something like bread. You heat up the whole kitchen in the process, but I guess a toaster oven would be a little better. The advantage of the microwave for something like this is that a high percentage of the energy goes into the food instead of the room and it gets done really quickly.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 19, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I won't be recommending Eat To Live anymore. :D

I got a copy of Eat For Health (I bought it direct from Fuhrman, but this link is easier). It's more expensive, yes, but you get a lot more for your money.
    Interesting. Dr. Fuhrman's PR firm has been pushing me to read it, but I've been busy and just ordered my copy.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    We moisten tortillas and pitas as follows:

Moisten (do not drench) a clean cotton towel.
    Wrap tortillas in it.
    Microwave.

Works well. Reusable product. No plastics.

ann
    jfriend wrote:
    Then, I guess you could put them in a glass dish with a lid. The oven is just soooo energy inefficient for lightly heating something like bread. You heat up the whole kitchen in the process, but I guess a toaster oven would be a little better. The advantage of the microwave for something like this is that a high percentage of the energy goes into the food instead of the room and it gets done really quickly.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 19, 2008
    IronMan Arizona
    One thing that's bugging me is I haven't had any great long races since eating this way. I feel great in training and in everyday life, and my short and mid-length (up to 5 hour) races are better than they've ever been.

But beyond about 5 or six hours I start to feel weak and have to slow down. It happened again last weekend at IronMan Arizona. I was fine for 5 hours and then the feeling of being depleted set it. Meanwhile, I got completely owned by a guy in my age group who goes down on 600 calories of Boost an hour (corn syrup solids).

I believe the issue is the foods I eat now are too low in calorie and too slow to digest. I can't consume big quantities of engineered foods like Boost on race day because I'm not used to them anymore and they make me sick now, at least in large quantities.

So I'm just gonna focus on races that I can finish in less than 6 hours. I'm so busy anyway, it makes sense.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Glass sounds perfect. But when I cook, I have at least two things on the stovetop and a oven going to for a meal anyway. My wife and daughter are totally spoiled. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    One thing that's bugging me is I haven't had any great long races since eating this way. I feel great in training and in everyday life, and my short and mid-length (up to 5 hour) races are better than they've ever been.

~~~snip~~~
    I believe the issue is the foods I eat now are too low in calorie and too slow to digest. I can't consume big quantities of engineered foods like Boost on race day because I'm not used to them anymore and they make me sick now, at least in large quantities.

So I'm just gonna focus on races that I can finish in less than 6 hours. I'm so busy anyway, it makes sense.

This one interests me as thre has to be other solutions out there... and hopefully if things continue on the trend I will come up against that problem at some point (although it will be shorter races) i am still trying to determine at what speed waddling stops and running starts but at least I am waddling farther now. At my current pace anything over a half marathon would be longer than six hours rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Vita-Mix was ahead of the Polycarbonate BPA issue with their newest model.
    Kingsport, Tenn., (October 24, 2007) – Vita-Mix Corporation, a top producer of high-end kitchenware blending equipment for household and commercial use, has partnered with Eastman Chemical Company to manufacture blender containers for the newly developed Vita-Mix 5200 using Eastman Tritan™ copolyester. This advanced polymer does not contain bisphenol-A (BPA), which enables Vita-Mix to meet growing demand for BPA-free products from its health-conscious customer base. The new generation copolyester also delivers excellent toughness to stand up to the rigors of frequent consumer handling. The latest in the company’s line of state-of-the-art household blenders, the Vita-Mix 5200 is scheduled to launch in late 2007.

Source
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

But beyond about 5 or six hours I start to feel weak and have to slow down. It happened again last weekend at IronMan Arizona. I was fine for 5 hours and then the feeling of being depleted set it. Meanwhile, I got completely owned by a guy in my age group who goes down on 600 calories of Boost an hour (corn syrup solids).

This sounds like a great question for a health-minded sports physician - someone who advises professional triathaletes, marathoners or cyclers, but also has an awareness of the type of eating we're doing and the readiness of our stomachs to process things. I wonder if such a person exists and/or how you would find one?

Are fruit sugars still too slow acting to provide help (oranges, bananas, etc...)?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I believe the issue is the foods I eat now are too low in calorie and too slow to digest.
    Would juicing be a viable alternative? Caloric intake may be a concern, but digestion would be just as fast as an manufactured energy boost.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    I think it is time for a VitaMix
    So tonight the L&T Wife (Lovely and Talented Wife) made us a great dinner of Sobe Noddles in a vegetable broth with Brocollini, Green Onions, Black and White Seasame Seeds, and Barbeque Seasoned Tofu. Plus a side of Garlic Roasted Beets.

281845062_6UKUo-S.jpg

Then we decided that we wanted a dessert type substance afterward. So we put some frozen Banana, frozen Peaches, fresh Rasberries, and some soy milk in a typical Oster blender. Well stuff was not mixing real well. So I decided to poke it down a little bit to get it to mix better. Well I can officially tell you not to do that...

281845094_CvcfZ-S.jpg

I then found out that Cuisinart Food Processor bowls, even with the lid on, will not contain liquid being mixed. It turned out okay though. But well the clean up took a little while.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

ne_nau.gif Maybe we're just not built for those sorts of tasks.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    This slaw recipe from Epicurious looks really good - almost fat free

Mmmmmm, made it today. Followed the dressing recipe and it makes plenty. Doubled the veggies and nuts, and there is still excess dressing - since it is reduced veg stock, not too worried. Plenty of bite to this! Yum. And it's pretty and colorful too.
    282361606_pKotc-M.jpg
    And, just to play havoc with my garden design and prep plans for the weekend, this is what my yard looks like today!:
    282362193_SFQ5K-M.jpg

282362814_eCRzA-M.jpg

A week ago today it was 24C - that's above freezing, yaknow!

ann
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Enjoyable article by Michael Pollen in today's NYTimes Science section.

[Edit: yesterday, I thought I had the link, today I can't access the article from here. Will try later - great read & worth the effort of getting the link]
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Travel just takes preperation
    So I have a one night trip to take. So the L&T Wife packed me a little traveling food, it is a 2.5 hour drive each way.

282558422_xBTLB-S.jpg

I know it sounds dumb, but I did not even think about the hotel arrangements other than it was Residence Inn. (It was picked on price and location as it is a one night stay) So when I got to the hotel room it was very nice suprise to realize I was in a Residence Inn... complete with full size fridge :) Something to think about the next travel reservation.

So I decided I should unpack... and stay a while and iron my clothes for tomorrow's meeting.

282561513_oC3uU-S.jpg
    -=Bradford

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Enjoyable article by Michael Pollen in today's NYTimes

Aheeeeem......this link goes to a Dgrin does DC thread:D
    Great thread tho...rolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    This {FredricPatanaude.com } looks interesting have not read the whole website yet but thought maybe someone other than myself might be interested.......I was searching for a list of low glycemic fruits when I ran into it.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Aheeeeem......this link goes to a Dgrin does DC thread:D
    Great thread tho...rolleyes1.gif

Well, dang - and now I have to try to get the link another way - and it looks like regn necessary to read it!

Okay try this link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/magazine/20wwln-lede-t.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin

May need to register at the site, but its worth it - good reading.
  • Options
    GentlyMadGentlyMad Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2008
    Ow My Head!
    It looks like we are both going Vegan.... wings.gif

Okay, we both went vegan and after three-or-so days my head is killing me. My body is going through a serious freak-out due to the discontinuation of white food, dairy, sugar, soda, fried yummies, etc. I know that, "this too shall pass," I just hope it passes soon.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    GentlyMad wrote:
    Okay, we both went vegan and after three-or-so days my head is killing me. My body is going through a serious freak-out due to the discontinuation of white food, dairy, sugar, soda, fried yummies, etc. I know that, "this too shall pass," I just hope it passes soon.
    The headaches will stop soon enough. Replaced by erem, other things :) But that will stop quickly, too.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    Chili
    I used to eat *a lot* of meat. Chili was one of my faves. We made all sortsa varieties, and ate it often.

Now, Nancy makes amazing Chili dishes, sans-meat. She makes up a batch and then it's an easy lunch or dinner anytime. I'm going down on a huge bowl right now, fiery hot, full of flavor and bean-y goodness. I'm having a toasted whole-wheat pita with it.

So easy. Go find your favorite chili recipe and make some.

Hold the meat.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I used to eat *a lot* of meat. Chili was one of my faves. We made all sortsa varieties, and ate it often.

Now, Nancy makes amazing Chili dishes, sans-meat. She makes up a batch and then it's an easy lunch or dinner anytime. I'm going down on a huge bowl right now, fiery hot, full of flavor and bean-y goodness. I'm having a toasted whole-wheat pita with it.

So easy. Go find your favorite chili recipe and make some.

Hold the meat.

Ja! I am very very very partial to Anne's. :D

However with the weather heating up I just can't seem to deal with stick-to-yer-ribs fare. Not at least until October...

I just polished off a salad bigger than my head.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

I just polished off a salad bigger than my head.
    lol3.gif

Oh man, I have been doing the same, lately. I made one last night, and Nancy said to me, "no thanks, I don't want salad tonight..." To which I replied "Dude! This is ALL FOR ME GET AWAY!" wings.gif
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I jumped on this bandwagon last week and have been doing the whole-foods thing for a week now, without any problems. I had chicken breast in one meal though - but hey, at least it is not red meat right?

Reading through the Eat To Live book, easy to read and looking good so far. Just ordered another copy shipped directly to a friend of mine who is looking into gastric bypass (scary stuff there). Hopefully my friend will talk to the doctor about the Eat To Live plan and be able to give that a go before resigning to surgory.

Been making pitas (whole wheat) but having a hard time getting them to come out perfectly. Trying lots of other food recipes without meat and milk too. Sans the butter and oils - I do use some olive oil in cooking tho.

Where is the best place you guys have found for recipes online? I need foods with lots and lots of flavor.

Its tough when my family won't eat anything with onion which is in a LOT of the recipes I've found so far. They love my home-made Hummus tho!

Thanks for the thread and all the info. thumb.gif only got thru reading up to page 76 so far.eek7.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Where is the best place you guys have found for recipes online? I need foods with lots and lots of flavor.
    There may be better 100% vegetarian alternatives, but epicurious.com has a fantastic assortment of recipes and is easy to navigate. (both veggie and meat)
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    Fat Free Vegan
    is also a pretty good recipe source.

Also, look at Anne McBean's blog for recipes and links.

And I agree about epicurious. Also Cooking Light

And then this thread and the Tastebook.

ann
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    So tonight the L&T Wife (Lovely and Talented Wife) made us a great dinner of Sobe Noddles in a vegetable broth with Brocollini, Green Onions, Black and White Seasame Seeds, and Barbeque Seasoned Tofu. Plus a side of Garlic Roasted Beets.

281845062_6UKUo-S.jpg
    How about the recipe sounds great but need portions and I have excellent source for seasoned tofus. do not have time to make it myself the tofu that is......