Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, next day, they are chewy as though they have been over mixed, and could have had more wet. Still taste good - so baking gurus, any hints or help with getting more moisture into a fat free vegan type muffin?

If anything my carrot/zucchini muffins are too moist! :D

I have a serious crush on those muffins. Try 'em! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    SF, there is a CD version of ETL, which you could load on your iPod, but no download that I know of.

thumb.gif That's so perfect, thanks for the suggestion - never thought of that! If I'm as impressed as y'all seem to be with it, that would make it even easier to share with friends, too. Fabulous :D

Someone also suggested I try Google Books. It's on my to-do list; apparently you can read books in their entirety online that way. Who knew?!
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    OMG these most recent photos have my stomach grumbling ... they all look and sound so good right now. It is the end of my school semester and I'm super stressed. I think all I've eaten this weekend are PB sandwiches and grapes. I feel like it, too, but now I'm sort of inspired to go back into the kitchen and take the time to make something nourishing. I have beans simmering, maybe I'll try a chili for dinner tonight. I needed these pics!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Okay folks, I need your help with coming up with a nutritious (liquid), low volume/high calorie diet for my mom. She has emphysema, and is basically skin and bones. Doesn't have an appetite (meds interfere, apparently) and the best her doc can do is say 'no store bought milkshakes, but 4 ensures a day' rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    So my dad has actually stopped working (he is 70 and was refusing to stop, but I guess he figures he needs to be there for mom now). He bought a blender, but was talking about a super blender he saw on TV. So I said: I'll look after this, I know just the blender!

Now, I know I can hide spinach and flax in berry smoothies. Not sure I can get enough calories in there for her. I'd love to hear any and all suggestions for whole food, nutrient dense way to do this without turning to protein powders.

ann
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay folks, I need your help with coming up with a nutritious (liquid), low volume/high calorie diet for my mom. She has emphysema, and is basically skin and bones. Doesn't have an appetite (meds interfere, apparently) and the best her doc can do is say 'no store bought milkshakes, but 4 ensures a day' rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    So my dad has actually stopped working (he is 70 and was refusing to stop, but I guess he figures he needs to be there for mom now). He bought a blender, but was talking about a super blender he saw on TV. So I said: I'll look after this, I know just the blender!

Now, I know I can hide spinach and flax in berry smoothies. Not sure I can get enough calories in there for her. I'd love to hear any and all suggestions for whole food, nutrient dense way to do this without turning to protein powders.

ann

raw, organic almond butter
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    raw, organic almond butter

Sounds good, but then she would have to eat it on/with something. She basically doesn't eat.

And on the topic of organic nuts...I grabbed a couple bags (almonds, cashews, pecans, I think), knowing they were raw and organic - they clerk asked me if I was serious about buying them when they priced out at $40 each!
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Sounds good, but then she would have to eat it on/with something. She basically doesn't eat.

And on the topic of organic nuts...I grabbed a couple bags (almonds, cashews, pecans, I think), knowing they were raw and organic - they clerk asked me if I was serious about buying them when they priced out at $40 each!

put it in the smoothies deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    put it in the smoothies deal.gif

D'oh!!!! Got it! If you were using a vitamix, could you just put in the nuts first, or make the butter?

I can't get ahold of a reconditioned vitamix, they won't ship to Canada. So I am looking at $550 or more. Anyway, recommendations on size/style?
    ann
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Why not suppliment powders added to the smoothies?

If you go for something like GNC weight gain 2200 gold. You'll get a ridiculous ammount of calories in the smoothies.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    D'oh!!!! Got it! If you were using a vitamix, could you just put in the nuts first, or make the butter?

I can't get ahold of a reconditioned vitamix, they won't ship to Canada. So I am looking at $550 or more. Anyway, recommendations on size/style?
    ann

You can put the nuts in, but even just raw almond butter (not organic) is easy to get. For some reason organic is 2x the price.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Vegan Baking....
    I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally started to try vegan baking. For those who have gone on photoshoots with me quickly discovered that I bake.

A spicy (and a non-spicy version) chocolate-chocolate
    -- whole wheat flour
    -- maple syrup for sweetness
    -- vegan semi-sweet chips
    -- canola oil for the fat
    -- and unusal spice in desserts for the heat
    286296263_c754m-S.jpg

PB&J Thumbprints
    -- whole wheat flour
    -- oat bran
    -- cashews bits to hide the oat bran
    -- mainly peanut butter for the fat + a hint of canola oil
    -- maple syrup + jelly for the sweetness

286296111_MRBkk-S.jpg

I never eat anything that I bake (just one my many quirks) and it's currently difficutl for me to get instant feedback on these in order to re-work the recipes (smugmug HQ -- you might get a drop off from me the morning). I actaully drove to a friend's house at 11 pm to drop a few off for comments ( --- better than vegan stuff found in store). I'm interested in seeing how they behave over-night and over the next few days.

I don't think I can go vegan for all of my baking desires, but I think this is a decent start.
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Why not suppliment powders added to the smoothies?

If you go for something like GNC weight gain 2200 gold. You'll get a ridiculous ammount of calories in the smoothies.

What kind of supplement powder? The goal here, as I understand it, is whole foods. Get as much nutrition as possible in, not just pure calories. Hence, using nuts instead of oils, etc.

Avocado is a great, high calorie food and I would think it would make a creamy smoothie. With any kind of citrus or strawberry in there, it shouldn't turn brown, I wouldn't think.

One good thing is that a ton of greens can be fit in a pretty small smoothie, because they take up a lot less space blended up. Today I put 2 oranges in the Vitamix, blended it up. Then I *packed* the whole container with spinach and it compacted enough to blend in that small amount of OJ. Added some unsweetened soymilk, another couple of handfuls of spinach, then finished it off with frozen berries. Because the green compact so much, you're not wasting a ton of space on something so low-calorie.

You might consider oatmeal smoothie/shakes as well. I love rolled oats/soy milk /banana and you could easily add berries or flax in there as well, or cinnamon and nus, or cocoa powder and nuts... really the possibilities are endless. :D I actually usually use water here, instead of soymilk, but if the goal is to get more calories in, use soymilk or make sure to include nuts with the water (essentially using nutmilk).

Best of luck with this one. You'll have to let us know how the smoothies are received.

-Anne
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally started to try vegan baking. For those who have gone on photoshoots with me quickly discovered that I bake.

-- whole wheat flour
    286296263_c754m-S.jpg

PB&J Thumbprints
    -- whole wheat flour
    -- oat bran

286296111_MRBkk-S.jpg

I never eat anything that I bake (just one my many quirks) and it's currently difficutl for me to get instant feedback on these in order to re-work the recipes (smugmug HQ -- you might get a drop off from me the morning). I actaully drove to a friend's house at 11 pm to drop a few off for comments ( --- better than vegan stuff found in store). I'm interested in seeing how they behave over-night and over the next few days.

I don't think I can go vegan for all of my baking desires, but I think this is a decent start.

Those look way yummy! clap.gif

I will say, though... I am 90-95% healthy but the other 5-10%, I don't bother using vegan chocolate chips or vegan butter or anything. I don't bake things myself anymore (except for twice a year cinnamon rolls that are to die for), but that 10% leaves me free to enjoy a chocolate chip cookie at a party, or a couple handfuls of caramel popcorn, or whatever. In other words, I don't have too much desire to try making unhealthy things somewhat more healthy. I opt instead to limit them in my diet and enjoy the full-on unhealthy version when I do eat them.

I think my problem is I'd eat 6 of your cookies because I'd rationalize that they're better for me than other kinds of cookies. When really... I should just eat one cookie no matter what kind it is. Not sure if that makes sense ? headscratch.gif

To each his own, however. I know several cookie lovers who would love to make healthier cookies so please keep us posted on the results. I'd like to pass your recipes along!

-Anne
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I should just eat one cookie no matter what kind it is. Not sure if that makes sense ? headscratch.gif
    Makes perfect sense. If your going to eat (round numbers here..) 1 lb of bad cookies or two lbs of good ones. Your still better off eating the healthier version since your body is better at processing natural foods.

BTW: I hadn't realized how long it's been since I had a cinnamon roll. My mouth started watering as soon as you said "to die for" :D
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    ann
    Ann, you could send me a check and I could buy one and ship it to you. Save you some $$ if you are interested. Only problem is I'm leaving the country for a few weeks so if it's a pressing matter then I guess it wouldn't work out so well. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2008
    I've posted this before. Does that help?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Ann, you could send me a check and I could buy one and ship it to you. Save you some $$ if you are interested. Only problem is I'm leaving the country for a few weeks so if it's a pressing matter then I guess it wouldn't work out so well. ne_nau.gif

Having my cousin buy the $699 pkg from Costco - it is about $400 less than I could get it for here through Vitamix (and a model not available in Canada)
    I've posted this before. Does that help?

I will definitely check that site, David and see if they will ship to me. Thanks!!

Bought almond butter and raw nuts to take to my mom. Did some reading on geriatric nutrition, though if she knew I was using 'geriatric' she'd bop me one. Anyway, I think there are as many 'psychological' cues to tackle as physical. She'd been home alone, day in day out as my dad was working 12 or 14 hr days and she never learned to drive. So now she has someone to eat with. Plus dad is also cooking real food now.
    The next thing I am going to work on with them is a cleaning/organizing project. Actually make meals official by using the dining table and clearing newspapers and other clutter away. Oh, and make good snacks easily accessible - a bowl of raw nuts, fresh fruit and veg cut up, a container of hummous on hand, etc.
    ann
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2008
    Hey Ann,

If you run into more roadblocks. I'll offer the same as DJ. But Oregon doesn't have sales tax. So there's an added benny to my offer when buying high dollar items:D
  • Options
    GentlyMadGentlyMad Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 1, 2008
    ttorres33 wrote:
    I had a mushroom udon soup at Cha-Ya (a vegetarian Japanese restaurant in San Francisco), that I tried to duplicate at home. It turned out pretty well.

I used the following:

- vegetable broth
    - onions, garlic, ginger sauted
    - a vietnamese garlic chili sauce (although any hot sauce or going without would be fine)
    - udon noodles (whole wheat, of course)
    - tons of mushrooms (I used woodear, oyster, shitake and portabella)
    - cilantro, fresh ground pepper and chives

It was great. Sorry, I rarely measure anything and make stuff up as I go. So this "recipe" is kind of sloppy. But I really enjoy tryinig to recreate dishes I discover in restaurants.

Teresa

I made this for dinner last night and it was ridiculously delicious. I did throw in a bunch of baby spinach just to get some more veggies.

I have to say that I think I am a much better vegan cook than a carnivorous one. Previously my cooking success rate was probably 50% at best (which I'm sure Brad will quickly confirm). The running joke was that dinner isn't ready until you hear the smoke alarm go off. My vegan cooking, however, seems to be a big hit - thanks in a big way to recipes like the one above and the McBean banana muffins and date nut balls.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    -- whole wheat flour

PB&J Thumbprints
    -- whole wheat flour
    -- oat bran
    These. Are. Delicious.

They get the Schmoo stamp of approval!! I even snuck one into work to snarf down during the afternoon doldrums. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Seriously, I'd never guess they were vegan. I still wouldn't inhale a whole box of them (vegan or not) but wow! April's baking never fails. :D
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    GentlyMad wrote:
    Okay, we both went vegan and after three-or-so days my head is killing me. My body is going through a serious freak-out due to the discontinuation of white food, dairy, sugar, soda, fried yummies, etc. I know that, "this too shall pass," I just hope it passes soon.

GM how are your headaches now? Have they subsided? Not many people have mentioned this but I had terrible headaches for the first few weeks and it drove me nuts. I'm OK now but the detox sucked. And I wasn't even eating all that badly before I went ETL.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    April's baking never fails. :D
    This reminds me, to send April a "heads up" email when I fly out to SmugVille lol3.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    For some reason organic is 2x the price.

NYT: Sticker Shock in the Organic Aisles
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    I just came home from working out at our local acquatic/fitness center. Lately, I've been hopping on an elliptical machine and listening to my mp3 player. Today, my player went kaput at the very beginning and so I plugged my headphones into the TV jack. I was tuned in to TV #3, which was tuned into Montel. I've never really watched Montel, but today's show was entitled Living Well with Montel. He had a mom with her two kids on who were there to learn about cooking healthier together. One of the things he did was to seriously expound on the virtues of...the Vit-a-mix! He stressed to the studio audience that investing in one was investing in their future. He then demonstrated a fruit/spinach smoothie, which the mom and kids pronounced delicious. He then announced that everyone in the studio audience was going home with a Vit-a-mix! Very cool, eh? My husband and I are thinking of using our economic stimulus check for one.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    GentlyMadGentlyMad Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    GM how are your headaches now? Have they subsided? Not many people have mentioned this but I had terrible headaches for the first few weeks and it drove me nuts. I'm OK now but the detox sucked. And I wasn't even eating all that badly before I went ETL.

They really have just calmed down in the past day or two, thankfully. It was pretty bad, but then again so was my diet before I started. The other thing that I find kind of strange is that I have absolutely no energy. Zip, zero, nada. I expected that would have started to turn around by now, but not yet.
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    GentlyMad wrote:
    They really have just calmed down in the past day or two, thankfully. It was pretty bad, but then again so was my diet before I started. The other thing that I find kind of strange is that I have absolutely no energy. Zip, zero, nada. I expected that would have started to turn around by now, but not yet.

Are you eating enough? I've found that sometimes I'll get really tired and upping my calorie intake with more nuts or a big bowl of oatmeal and fruit before bed helps a lot.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    GentlyMad wrote:
    I have to say that I think I am a much better vegan cook than a carnivorous one. Previously my cooking success rate was probably 50% at best (which I'm sure Brad will quickly confirm). The running joke was that dinner isn't ready until you hear the smoke alarm go off.

There is no right answer to this one is there...rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2008
    GentlyMad wrote:

Maybe you could be more specific about what it is you are eating.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    One thing that's bugging me is I haven't had any great long races since eating this way. I feel great in training and in everyday life, and my short and mid-length (up to 5 hour) races are better than they've ever been.

But beyond about 5 or six hours I start to feel weak and have to slow down. It happened again last weekend at IronMan Arizona. I was fine for 5 hours and then the feeling of being depleted set it. Meanwhile, I got completely owned by a guy in my age group who goes down on 600 calories of Boost an hour (corn syrup solids).

I believe the issue is the foods I eat now are too low in calorie and too slow to digest. I can't consume big quantities of engineered foods like Boost on race day because I'm not used to them anymore and they make me sick now, at least in large quantities.

So I'm just gonna focus on races that I can finish in less than 6 hours. I'm so busy anyway, it makes sense.

Baldy have you seen The Thrive Diet? It might have some tips to help you out.
    The Thrive Diet is a long-term eating plan that will help you develop a lean body, sharp mind, and everlasting energy, whether you’re a professional athlete or simply looking to boost your physical and mental health. One of the few professional athletes on an entirely plant-based diet, Brendan Brazier researched and developed this easy-to-follow program to enhance his performance as an elite endurance athlete. Brazier clearly describes why it’s easier for the body to utilize nutrient-rich foods in their natural state than refined, processed foods and how to choose nutritionally efficient, stress-busting whole foods to maximize energy and health. And because plant-based foods are more environmentally friendly to produce, you’ll also help the planet while improving your personal health.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    One of the things he did was to seriously expound on the virtues of...the Vit-a-mix! He stressed to the studio audience that investing in one was investing in their future. He then demonstrated a fruit/spinach smoothie, which the mom and kids pronounced delicious. He then announced that everyone in the studio audience was going home with a Vit-a-mix! Very cool, eh? My husband and I are thinking of using our economic stimulus check for one.

I do not measure much that i put into my vita mix per se.....I try to make sure that I have 5 servings of fruit.....1 lg apple, 1 nice orange, approx 1 cup each of strawberries, raspberries and a blk/blue and raspberries frozen mix (thawed of course) and 1 or 2 tbl spoons of milled flax seed + approx 4 ounces of carrot and 1 lg handful of baby spinach.....I change up my large fruits with what I can find at the Asian Markets and various food markets in Town....the last month no one has had any poms and I miss them...

As we all know most of your vitamins and such are in the peels of our fruits and veggies.......

So here what I do with all that will handle it.....for me washing fruits and veggies is tooo time consuming and no I do not eat without washing.....use your dishwasher and no soap.....mine only has a direct line from my water heater so the water gets to dishwasher at around 180 degrees F and from I have read that should remove all those pesky pesticides and the carnuba wax that is used on fruit and veggies.....if I can see the white of the wax I will add a tiny amount of dish soap and make sure your dishwasher is set for NO DRYing.....as this might cook part or all of your fruit and veggies..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website