Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I had a tasty breakfast this morning that I wanted to share. I had a stalk of rhubarb I wanted to use up....

1 stalk rhubarb
    An apple
    Container of strawberries
    A few raisins
    Pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 cup rolled oats

Chopped, mixed it together and microwaved it covered, taking it out to stir every two minutes until it was soft and delicious. Yum.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    I had a tasty breakfast this morning that I wanted to share. I had a stalk of rhubarb I wanted to use up....

1 stalk rhubarb
    An apple
    A few raisins
    Pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 cup rolled oats

Chopped, mixed it together and microwaved it covered, taking it out to stir every two minutes until it was soft and delicious. Yum.

Wow that does sound easy. I'm all about easy breakfasts, especially if they're warm! Smoothies are great but sometimes they get old.

I gotta try this thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    When I was at a course last week, lunch was wraps and there was a veggie choice. It was sliced, cooked mushrooms and eggplant with probably artichoke dip for spread. Nicely seasoned and really good. So I asked the dh to see if he could recreate. Tonight, he sauteed eggplant, mushroom, onion, bell pepper, black beans and spinach with a curry base. Served in a flavored flour tortilla and it was totally heavenly!!! I'll try to get the exact ingredients (he will have no idea of quantities) from him when he returns. For me, the moral of this is always try new things -> never would I have chosen mushrooms and eggplant, but the other choices that day were chicken or beef!

ann
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 8, 2008
    Yeah, I read the Thrive Diet. What I found interesting is he's faster than blazes in shorter races, like he won the Canadian 50K running championships, but he hasn't been competitive in IronMan distance events for years. That's what I'm seeing... I'm faster up to about 5 hours but run out of gas trying to eat healthy beyond that point. The foods digest too slow and don't have enough calories.

Hey, I've been messing with Google's custom search engine and I notice how many examples are built around vegan stuff. Check out this Google Custom Search Engine:

http://www.google.com/uds/samples/cse/cref.html

Someone mentioned being low in energy. I'm watching a lot of people eat whole plants (hundreds) and so far all is great but at least three have developed problems with energy. For two of them, it was B12 deficiency, which is really easy to develop. A third was zinc.

With mass farming, soils are getting depleted and sterile. Gotta get the zinc and B12 from vitamins.
  • Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    GentlyMad wrote:
    I made this for dinner last night and it was ridiculously delicious. I did throw in a bunch of baby spinach just to get some more veggies.

I have to say that I think I am a much better vegan cook

I'm glad it worked out. I also have found that I am a much better vegan cook. I don't burn things or cook the taste out of everything when I don't have to worry about undercooked meat. :-) Plus since most veggies go well together I feel I can be more creative and there's less risk of disaster.
  • Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    bethy wrote:

1 stalk rhubarb
    An apple
    A few raisins
    Pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 cup rolled oats

Bethy, you never cease to amaze me with your creativity in the kitchen. I would have _never_ thought to combine these things.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Hey, if I drop of a heart attack, don't blame it on the veggies, hokay?

I spent two hours of quality time in the ER tonight with the docs saying my EKG sure looks like I'm having a heart attack.

Apparently I had a childhood virus that left me with a lot of scar tissue in my heart and it's always been irregular and slow (resting pulse as low as 28). I've seen many cardiologists, who say there isn't much to be done other than diet, exercise, and sleep.

It's not Fuhrman's fault.

All the more reason to eat veggies. :D
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey, if I drop of a heart attack, don't blame it on the veggies, hokay?

I spent two hours of quality time in the ER tonight with the docs saying my EKG sure looks like I'm having a heart attack.

Apparently I had a childhood virus that left me with a lot of scar tissue in my heart and it's always been irregular and slow (resting pulse as low as 28). I've seen many cardiologists, who say there isn't much to be done other than diet, exercise, and sleep.

It's not Fuhrman's fault.

All the more reason to eat veggies. :D

Are you OK? What happened to get you to the ER in the first place?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Are you OK? What happened to get you to the ER in the first place?
    Yeah, I'm fine but it sucks that my marathon and IronMan times are affected by scar tissue in my heart.

We think what happened is I injured my shoulder the other day (to no one's surprise if you know me) and it started to spasm, causing the pain level to go way up, causing me to get light-headed, nausea, and clammy.

Not knowing what was going on except that I was sweaty and had a lot of pain coming in waves in my shoulder, I thought (and the emergency room docs thought) maybe heart attack.

More like too much crazy wrestling with the dog. But anytime they see my EKG, they freak and it has always been that way.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Well, Baldy, I sure hope you heal up from the shoulder pull. This 'wonky heart' stuff can be troubling. My dh is uninsurable due to an irregular hb, and a dear friend died due to a viral infection of the myocardium. Scary stuff - good to understand what's going on. Take care and be careful.
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, I'm fine but it sucks that my marathon and IronMan times are affected by scar tissue in my heart.

We think what happened is I injured my shoulder the other day (to no one's surprise if you know me) and it started to spasm, causing the pain level to go way up, causing me to get light-headed, nausea, and clammy.

Not knowing what was going on except that I was sweaty and had a lot of pain coming in waves in my shoulder, I thought (and the emergency room docs thought) maybe heart attack.

More like too much crazy wrestling with the dog. But anytime they see my EKG, they freak and it has always been that way.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, I'm fine... but anytime they see my EKG, they freak and it has always been that way.
    Do they make a "wonky heart" MedicAlert bracelet?ne_nau.gifD

Glad you are okaythumb.gif
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Do they make a "wonky heart" MedicAlert bracelet?ne_nau.gifD

rolleyes1.gif

Good think I caught up on this thread today! I talked to Mom on the phone and she didn't mention anything about the ER. Thanks for sharing, Dad. eek7.gif

Tell the dogs to take it easy on an old man. :D

-Anne
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

I still have a life goal to have a marathon time of any duration (e.g. to complete a marathon). So you're way, way, way ahead of me.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2008
    Vitamix on its way.
    I ordered it on line at my aunt's house. Had to use her cc cuz Costco will not ship to Canada ->use Costco.ca but the vitamix isn't offered there rolleyes1.gif
    Anyway, cc address and shipping address had to match. My aunt is a sweetie, and I've sent her payment in return.
    Dear aunt has put the vitamix on UPS and it is headed to my moms.

Meanwhile, my dad has actually been staying home and cooking, an dmom has put on 6 pounds!clap.gif Wish there were some means of doing a simple transplant -> me to her!!!!mwink.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    First glad to hear people are doing okay.

I know from experience that there is really nothing more stressful than having a Dr. listening to your heart or looking at an EKG and going "Uh-oh"

So I am traveling with biz associattes on the current trips and the "weird diet" is becoming to more and more people. It is quite interesting to see the look on their faces and the reactions to the changes. Three weeks in and down 14 pounds, that usually kind of shocks people.wings.gif This upcoming Saturday the 17th will be the end of the Month that is recommended in the China Study. I have decided I am staying on this "weird diet".

Oh yeah at a conference I was teaching at last week, I brought food with me. The Vegan Muffins were a big hit!!! More than a few people asked for the recipe.

I am also starting to keep a list in my Crackberry of restaurants that are good to go eat at and ones that are not so good. last week's chuckle, "I will have the Chicken Almond Salad, without the Chicken or the Dressing, please." They got it right. Also there is a local eatery that actually lets one build their own salad right off the menu.

So when people ask me what I am eating, I say Whole Food Vegan - basically more food and less food like substances. I still miss my Caffeine Free Diet Mountain Dews. I think that will be the next drink I try to come up with, a flavor like that.:crazy
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I am about to order my vitamix, maybe this week. Last week I started to see 179lbs on the scale, six month ago I would have thought it to be impossible to weigh in even under 190. eek7.gif

So I am trying to make my diet even healthier. I am trying to switch from canned beans to dry beans. What is the easiest way to prep the beans? I have soaked some black beans overnight, so how long do they have to be cooked now or can they be used once soaked? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I won't be recommending Eat To Live anymore. :D

I got a copy of Eat For Health (I bought it direct from Fuhrman, but this link is easier). It's more expensive, yes, but you get a lot more for your money.

I am about 1/3 of the way through ETL and ordered his new book today.

Thanks for the review. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    I am very wary of cooking beans from raw. I made a delicious multi bean chili several months back, starting with raw beans, soaking and then cooking the chili for several hours. That wasn't long enough (oh, and we used the water that the beans soaked in for cooking). Anyway, kidney beans in particular have a toxin that must be cooked thoroughly out of them. I ended up with really violent food poisoning from them. Back many pages, DavidTO provided a link to some cooking instructions to avoid just such poisoning. I'll see if I can find it.
    ann

patch29 wrote:
    I am about to order my vitamix, maybe this week. Last week I started to see 179lbs on the scale, six month ago I would have thought it to be impossible to weigh in even under 190. eek7.gif

So I am trying to make my diet even healthier. I am trying to switch from canned beans to dry beans. What is the easiest way to prep the beans? I have soaked some black beans overnight, so how long do they have to be cooked now or can they be used once soaked? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Interesting article about how the beans actually make you sick: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070801091240.htm
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    1 thing to remember in cooking dry beans of any sort....NEVER USE THE SOAKING WATER TO COOK IN.....this could be where you all started the food poisoning......always wash the beans I use a collander and wash for several minutes.....then put them in a slow cooker and let cook while i am at work.....I have never had a problem.....I either slow cook chilis or I cook in my smoker in the water pan (i do the same with stews and roasts)......if boiling beans on a stove.....if I remember correctly they can be fully cooked in about 1 hour....just keep stiring and do not let the water evaporate or allow the beans to burn......I am not yet an accomplished stove cooker.....I still like using my Brinkman charcoal smoker for most of my cooking or a campfire:D..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Ditto, Art. Never use the soaking water to cook the beans in.

I think most beans cook within 1-2 hours; I can't remember which, but a few popular beans take closer to two hours. I'm eternally lazy and have a poor memory, so I just cook all of my beans the same way -

1. overnight soak in the refrigerator (8-12 hours, or more)
    2. in the morning, rinse soaked beans well
    3. in fresh water, cook beans on low for 3+ hours

Sometimes I cook for the minimum 3 hours, for example to use those beans for same-day consumption at lunch or dinner. Most of the time I actually cook the beans for several hours longer; I just leave them on the stove until after dinner when I can find the time to get around to them (to prepare for the following day or week).

I'm cheap and lazy, so beans totally rock my world thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Thanks for the bean cooking info. I soaked the black beans overnight and cooked for 90 minutes, that seemed to work well. thumb.gif

I am also in luck. I have a Vita-Mix for a couple weeks. wxwax is lending me his while he is in the UK, so now I need to search for some ideas and see how I like using it. :eat
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks for the bean cooking info. I soaked the black beans overnight and cooked for 90 minutes, that seemed to work well. thumb.gif

I am also in luck. I have a Vita-Mix for a couple weeks. wxwax is lending me his while he is in the UK, so now I need to search for some ideas and see how I like using it. :eat

Have him also loan you the recipe book.....it has entrees, soups, beverages...etc etc.....or y0u can go to vitamix dot com and do a ton of chek boxing to find what your looking for.....their site has gotten hard ....used to be that you clikked the recipe tab and there they were, noW you have to tic all sorts of boxes and hope it takes you where you ought /want to be....ne_nau.gif

beverage recipes from VITA MIX

i need to DL this booklet also and read it......LINKY HERE
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    The VitaMix book has very little that is ETL friendly in it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Have him also loan you the recipe book.....it has entrees, soups, beverages...etc etc.....or y0u can go to vitamix dot com and do a ton of chek boxing to find what your looking for.....their site has gotten hard ....used to be that you clikked the recipe tab and there they were, noW you have to tic all sorts of boxes and hope it takes you where you ought /want to be....ne_nau.gif

beverage recipes from VITA MIX

Thanks for the link, that will work for a start. I am looking mostly for green smoothie ideas. I guess I need to start filling it up with what I have and see how it tastes.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks for the link, that will work for a start. I am looking mostly for green smoothie ideas. I guess I need to start filling it up with what I have and see how it tastes.

Green Smoothie:

Water
    Fruit
    Spinach

Fruit: I like banana, orange, mango, pineapple, apple in any combination. If you add blueberries, it's no longer green, but really good. You can also add a carrot. Start there, improvise. Basically any combination of fresh/frozen fruit with spinach and whatever other veggies you want to add. I always use some frozen fruit and/or spinach to make it cold. But the banana, orange and apple are usually fresh.

I also usually add flaxseeds to my smoothies.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    patch29 wrote:

Why not go for a juicer, Patch? They are pretty cheap these days and so easy to use.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2008
    WOW! I just made my first smoothie, fruit, veggies, I put them all in there and flipped the power on. :yikes That thing is fast. Vita-Mix..... iloveyou.gif

How do you normally clean it? I put some dish soap with hot water and ran it and almost made shaving cream, so it just needed some extra rinsing.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    Why not go for a juicer, Patch? They are pretty cheap these days and so easy to use.

The Vita-Mix allows you to keep the whole fruit and veggie, so you get all the fiber and nutrients. :eat
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

I also usually add flaxseeds to my smoothies.

Do you add whole flaxseeds? I bought some ground flaxseed from Trader Joe's the other night and have been using it.

My first smoothie was more of a dark purple than a green, but it had green goodness in it. :D