Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm going to my cousin's house for Thanksgiving, and I'm starting to think about what to bring. You know, something that'll make everyone else wish they were vegan.

ear.gif

EDIT: I'm not looking for turkey substitutes. I'm not a tofurkey kind of guy. I just want some really satisfying foods that are what they are, not transmorgrified into something they're not. deal.gif

I think it's Anne's recipe that Schmoo cooks, but the vegan chili she makes is just incredible. Hands down the best chili I've had. It's easy to make in large batches (assuming you've a large enough pot), and it's a great late fall/early winter type dish. Arguably, of "thanksgiving" type foods too, makes me think of cornucopia-esque veggies, though I guess that's more squashes and what not. So, given that, DEFINITELY Llywellyn's Squash soup (see Schmoo's modifications for vegan-ness).

My 2 cents
    Travis
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I think it's Anne's recipe that Schmoo cooks, but the vegan chili she makes is just incredible. Hands down the best chili I've had. It's easy to make in large batches (assuming you've a large enough pot), and it's a great late fall/early winter type dish. Arguably, of "thanksgiving" type foods too, makes me think of cornucopia-esque veggies, though I guess that's more squashes and what not. So, given that, DEFINITELY Llywellyn's Squash soup (see Schmoo's modifications for vegan-ness).

My 2 cents

I love that Chili. I make it all the time. But I'm thinking more traditional harvest foods.

I do want to try Kerry's soup with the schmoodifications made.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    So I earned a score of 7.9 not bad, I was expecting much worse.

I am now starting to think about Thanksgiving as I have no idea what we are going to eat....ne_nau.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I love that Chili. I make it all the time. But I'm thinking more traditional harvest foods.

How about just stir-frying the whole cornucopia of veggies.....the squashes and eggplants and broccoli and such with green peppers and onions......back in the whole very fattening food days....I used to slowly fry togeher a slough of veggies and add 3 or 4 different sausages.....now it is just the veggies slowly fried in olive oil (x-tra virgin)............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

I'm making the soup again this week with further tweaks, it's just that darned good. thumb.gif I plan to make it for Christmas dinner back home this year, since I can't get home for Thanksgiving. I originally made it for Christmas dinner last year, and it was a hit among meat eaters (including myself at the time), so it's a good candidate. :D
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Deconstructed Green Bean Casserole

Would this work?

I can also give a bunch of dessert ideas too...
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    For thanksgiving, I would recommend the Tomato & Roasted Eggplant stew recipe from Veganomicon. Totally vegan and doesn't need a bit of changing.

I've been struggling with being on the "wagon" these past few months. Part of it was I'm still working FT on top of the photography and the three year old and the time factor just got away from me. Part of it was my house-mate (my awesome Mom) wasn't on board...we were grocery shopping for three different meals (me, her and the little guy) and that's just not economical or practical, so we ended up somewhere in between.

Unfortunately, yesterday she suffered a myocardial infarction. She's 52. No risk factors besides HRT and age (barely). So the time is right to take charge while she's in the hospital to clean house and start fresh. Her mom (my grandma, the meat & potatoes queen) even brought me a soup recipe to the hospital and told me, "I think it's vegetarian" and winked at me, what a sweetie. If you guys would give me a stab at a "start fresh" grocery list, I would so appreciate it as I'm kind of overwhelmed! I don't have a vitamix but I do have a blender and a food processor. I have a few vegan staples on hand, but I need to figure out the most efficient meal plan (can not make dinner with 15 ingredients and chopping every night ;) for a week's worth of meals approach for the three of us. How do you shop? What is on your menu this week?

I have the China Study and Veganomicon but I think I'll be running to get Eat To Live here, its in stock at the Borders down the street. :)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    For thanksgiving, I would recommend the Tomato & Roasted Eggplant stew recipe from Veganomicon. Totally vegan and doesn't need a bit of changing.

I've been struggling with being on the "wagon" these past few months. Part of it was I'm still working FT on top of the photography and the three year old and the time factor just got away from me. Part of it was my house-mate (my awesome Mom) wasn't on board...we were grocery shopping for three different meals (me, her and the little guy) and that's just not economical or practical, so we ended up somewhere in between.

Unfortunately, yesterday she suffered a myocardial infarction. She's 52. No risk factors besides HRT and age (barely). So the time is right to take charge while she's in the hospital to clean house and start fresh. Her mom (my grandma, the meat & potatoes queen) even brought me a soup recipe to the hospital and told me, "I think it's vegetarian" and winked at me, what a sweetie. If you guys would give me a stab at a "start fresh" grocery list, I would so appreciate it as I'm kind of overwhelmed! I don't have a vitamix but I do have a blender and a food processor. I have a few vegan staples on hand, but I need to figure out the most efficient meal plan (can not make dinner with 15 ingredients and chopping every night ;) for a week's worth of meals approach for the three of us. How do you shop? What is on your menu this week?

I have the China Study and Veganomicon but I think I'll be running to get Eat To Live here, its in stock at the Borders down the street. :)

I've found that leftovers are the way to go. Find meals that cook large and store well (see the kitcheree and chili recipes in the Tastebook that's been assembled from stuff in the thread here). A fairly easy one is a bean stir-fry that Schmoo makes us fairly often (it's even easy enough that I can cook it!). Basically it's two cans of black beans and what ever veggies we have (onions, mushrooms, carrots, and then sometimes leafy ones like kale/collards) thrown in a pot with some garlic and a few spices. Served over rice. Takes about 15 min to make (not including the rice), so that's great for when we are in a hurry.

As for a shopping guide, anything in the produce aisle! IIRC, ETL has a pretty good shopping guide in it (TO was also recommending his later books over ETL, and I don't know anything about those).

Um, sorry that wasn't as specific as it could have been and then I got ramble-y. Kinda frazzled at work today. Hope it's more useful than it looks to me.
    Travis
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 13, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Dr. Fuhrman is such a goofball!

I just took his test to assess my health. It's a questionnaire that you can take and get a final score and recommendations. My big failing is my lack of exercise.

Overall I scored an 8.4. Who's gonna best me? ear.gif

Warning: if you want to reduce the goofball factor, turn your sound down. mwink.gif
    Hahaha. I don't know all the answers, like hip size, so I'm gonna have to take it later. Pretty interesting, tho.

I haven't checked in on this thread for months, sorry about that. I'm encouraged about how much easier it gets to eat this way when you get used to it.

The march of friends who are transforming their health this way is amazing.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    For Baldy. Especially the part about statins.

Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    For Baldy. Especially the part about statins.

<embed flashvars="videoId=210357" src="http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml&quot; quality="high" bgcolor="#cccccc" name="comedy_central_player" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="external" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; align="middle" height="316" width="332">
    Hahaha. I've been wanting Dr. Fuhrman to weigh in on the latest Crestor studies. I had been reading some very discouraging things about Lipitor and the good it doesn't do.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    My wife is going in for a physical which includes a blood test. We've both been vegan for over a year now. What specific things should she make sure she's tested for in the blood test that are things to watch out for on a vegan diet?

The test will include the various cholesterol measurements. Can one be tested for your B12 level? Are there any other vitamins and minerals you should specifically be tested for that vegans might run low on? She will ask her doctor, but wants to be educated on what to make sure is included first.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Saw this deal for "Vegetarian Times" magazine - 9 issues for $3.69 good today only. I've seen this in stores but I've never read it - I also have no experience with the website, so take it for what it's worth.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    My wife is going in for a physical which includes a blood test. We've both been vegan for over a year now. What specific things should she make sure she's tested for in the blood test that are things to watch out for on a vegan diet?

The test will include the various cholesterol measurements. Can one be tested for your B12 level? Are there any other vitamins and minerals you should specifically be tested for that vegans might run low on? She will ask her doctor, but wants to be educated on what to make sure is included first.

I would ask for a Vitamin D test to be included. Not only for vegans, but I think it's important.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Saw this deal for "Vegetarian Times" magazine - 9 issues for $3.69 good today only. I've seen this in stores but I've never read it - I also have no experience with the website, so take it for what it's worth.
    If you are vegan then this mag will not be for you. Almost all recipes use milk, egg, and cheese in some form or another.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    Hey John,

I think vitamin B12 is the most important thing to be checked for, but sometimes vegans can be low in zinc or iron (although the recommended levels of iron are controversial with many experts I really respect saying they're too high).

D in the winter when you don't get much sun is one to watch for too.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    Here's a pretty good take on the Crestor controversy that's been going around:

http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2008/11/statins-for-eve.html
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    Just posting some funny pictures (crappy iPhone pics) of our Farmer's Market. The fires up north of us were blowing smoke and ash, and I thought all these organic farmers looked funny. Glad they were protecting themselves, though!

417482103_DC9At-M.jpg

417482897_sg9wa-M.jpg

417502800_yDKXx-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Whew! Like my dad, I've been away from checking this thread for a few months...

Let me catch up:

The squash soup posted looks fantastic!!! We'll be trying it for sure. I'm finally coming around to the idea of adding nuts to add creaminess to dishes. We had the pumpkin baked ziti from Veganomicon last night and it was fantastic. It reminded me of the creamy, bread-crumb topped casseroles that were comfort food for my husband growing up... but it had lots more flavor and used tofu and cashew for creaminess, and finely chopped walnuts with whole wheat breadcrumbs for the crumb topping. It tasted rich without compromising health. (Though of course, it was lacking in leafy greens!) We hardly ever eat like that, but it's nice to be able to mix it up sometimes.

If you have Veganomicon, you've got lots of Thanksgiving-worthy recipes at your fingertips. One we'll be making for sure is roasted sweet potato and pear with pecans. So yummy. It has some maple syrup, which adds just the decadence needed for a passable Thanksgiving dish. :)

Someone asked for a typical shopping list, and I hope to post something similar on my blog soon. I'll give my top 15 or so staples here off the top of my head, though. 10 are ones we keep on hand at all times (read: stock up on) and the other 5 are picked up weekly.
    Diced tomatoes, salsa, whole wheat pasta, raw nuts to snack on, frozen stirfry veggies, frozen berries, onions/garlic/ginger/high-quality ground spices, beans, lentils, brown rice/quinoa/whole wheat couscous.

Fresh fruit (lots and lots of variety. Whatever is cheap, high-quality, and in-season), fresh spinach (and usually one bunch of exotic leafy green to experiment with), bell peppers, carrots/celery, tofu (used a couple of times a month).

Some things we've loved this week: The pumpkin baked ziti I mentioned above, acorn squash & pear & adzuki bean soup from Veganomicon, homemade whole wheat bread, my guilt-free pancakes with strawberries, steel cut oatmeal with apples and pecans, black bean burgers on whole wheat buns with guacamole, black beans and salsa, and frozen veggie potstickers (convenience won out that night).

I took the Fuhrman test, but without numbers for bloodwork since I've never had it done. I scored an 8.6 but it was actually a wake-up call for me in terms of the quality of my diet. I do a great job staying away from the bad stuff (white flour, sugar, added fats, etc.) but I've been slipping on the veggies. My leafy green consumption falters when I don't get to the grocery store often enough, and because I have a 10 month old daughter who doesn't do so well with salads. I need to give her fingerfood veggies and go down on the salad myself. I was also interested in the stuff about osteoporosis and I'm going to look into a Vitamin D supplement and talk myself into better weight-bearing exercise habits.

One thing that I am really proud of lately is that my daughter can eat off of my plate for every meal. I don't have to worry that I'm eating stuff that isn't good for babies, because I only eat healthy stuff. I wouldn't want to give her chips or soda or crackers or fast food, but because I don't eat that stuff... we get to share everything. :) Today she chowed on my multigrain pancakes with strawberry syrup, had pumpkin baked ziti and grapefruit for lunch, and mixed steamed veggies for dinner with homemade whole wheat bread. Besides the ground up veggies, all the rest was just what we happened to be eating anyway. She really loves healthy, flavorful food and I know it's partly because she sees me and my husband eating it too!

Now off to re-double my efforts in the green veggie department...

-Anne
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    My smoothie this morning (for two):

1 large, really really ripe persimmon
    3 fresh figs
    1 pear
    1 zucchini
    1 banana
    frozen blueberries
    frozen spinach
    walnuts
    flax seeds
    1 smoothie pack frozen pure Acai juice
    couple of frozen cubes wheatgrass juice
    bee pollen
    water

Dee-lish!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    After a several years-long love for the curried wheat berries in my WF's salad bar, I decided to give this a shot.

I've never worked with these things before and I didn't realize that there's a fair amount of information out there, but it's very varied. I almost bought farro instead, which I was told was the same but a brief search showed that it's a slightly different variety of grain.

Anyway, I'm sure it's tasty, too. But I bought the whole wheat kernels (used 1 dry cup), soaked them overnight. In the morning they had such a lovely, sweet, nutty scent. Delicious!

It was a shame almost to boil them, but the entire 50 minutes of simmering filled the house with the same sweet nutty scent. Yum. I can tell we're going to e friends, already.

Once they were cooked and drained, I tossed them with:

1/4 cup raisins
    1 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    several grinds of fresh black pepper
    1 small dash of Braggs (I might leave this out next time)
    1 big dash of apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
    fresh squeezed lemon juice to taste

I'm sure that the recipe at Whole Foods calls for oil of some sort, as mine was a little bit dry and I had some difficulty getting the spices to distribute evenly. I haven't gone over to the dark side yet and added any, but I'm tempted.

Next time I also want some slivered almonds in there.

It's still good, especially chilled for a few hours to let the flavors mix. I know this is a good side dish, but I just might toss it with my next salad, just for kicks.

Experiment in progress.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    Sounds good, Schmoo, I'll have to try it!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sounds good, Schmoo, I'll have to try it!

I realized that most (if not all) things I've posted to this thread have curry in it. So maybe it'll be underwhelming? lol3.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Article about aging
    I found this article about aging pretty interesting. It's about the slow deterioration of the mitochondria in our cells and how some promising new medicines can impact that deterioration. Whenever a drug can do something, I always wonder what natural and healthy diet would do the same thing? And what is the effect on the mitochondria of ETL?

I also found this interesting because I was just quizzing my son last week before a high school biology test and he was studying all about the mitochondria and other kinds of cells and parts of cells.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    What I'm bringing to Thanksgiving dinner:

Lentil Loaf with Mushroom Gravy, Roasted Cranberry Sauce, Acorn Squash stuffed with Spelt Berries, Walnuts and Currants (from a cookbook, so no linky!) and Apple Pumpkin Delight.

I improvised on the gravy, and it turned out excellent. I deleted the soy milk, used a tiny bit (1/2 tsp.) of corn starch, and added about 1/3 cup cashews, and then ran it through the vitamix for creamy goodness.

I've yet to make the lentil loaf, stuffed squash and the dessert. But I'm on my way! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GREAT THANKSGIVING........I made home made cranberry sauce......so simple I thought and my first batch was really good....I used 1 bag fresh CB, 1/2 large cameo apple, 1 boch pear, juice from an orange and 1 wedge from another orange,1/4 cup each of pecans and walnuts...sweetened with agave nectar.......came out great
    my other two batches.....way too tart and I used enuff stevia to = 2 cups of sugar......so tomorrow I am going to reheat and add a little more stevia powder and see if it sweetns up or is down the disposal....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 29, 2008
    I broke down and bought a recipe manager for my Mac. I tried a bunch, some free, and finally settled on MacGourmet. Yeah, it's a bit anal, but I wanted to have more control over my recipes and not have to go digging for them. It imports them easily from websites, calculates the nutritional value of the dishes (optional plug-in), and has some other cool features.

I also can publish my recipes to my Mobile Me account (or other website or blog, I guess). You can see what I did here.

Oh, and you can print cookbooks at home or through services like lulu.com.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2008
    This is yummy:

===============
    Tomato Lentil Soup

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 tbs. olive oil
    - 1 onion, chopped
    - 2 stalks celery, chopped
    - 3 cloves garlic, minced
    - 2 bay leaves
    - 1 can tomato paste
    - 1 cup red wine
    - 1 cup lentils (brown or green Le Puy), sorted and rinsed
    - 3 cup water
    - 2 tablespoons Gaylord Hauser's Vegetable Broth Powder
    - 2 tbs. thyme or oregano
    - 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    - 2 teaspoons brewer's yeast
    - pepper to taste
    - 1 cup leaf spinach (frozen or fresh), slightly chopped

METHOD:

Using a large soup pot, heat the oil and add the onions and celery.
    Saute until they are golden.
    Add bay leaves and garlic.
    After two minutes add the tomato paste and wine.
    Add the lentils and enough water to cover with a couple inches of liquid. Simmer uncovered, stirring from time to time to keep the lentils from sticking on the bottom. Add the Gaylor Hauser's powder.
    Add water, wine or vegetable bouillon as needed.
    The soup should cook for about 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add a couple tablespoons of thyme or oregano, brewer's yeast and season to taste with pepper.
    Add the spinach and cook gently until the spinach is cooked.
    At the last minute stir in Dijon mustard and serve immediately.

SERVINGS: 8
    SOURCE: http://www.vegalicious.org (modified)

===============

EDIT: and just because I'm a geek, here's the nutrition information:

20081129-ngk4txwsj473s1ftxycsn1gjj8.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    I found and modified this recipe from here.

It's really easy, and was really good.

====================

Spiced Vegan Chai Cocoa

Source
    Cindalou's Kitchen Blues

1 cup milk, soy, almond, whatever
    1 tablespoon raw cacao powder, (raw cocoa)
    1 teaspoon honey, or other sweetener, to taste
    ½ teaspoon slippery elm
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 dash ginger, ground
    ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
    1 dash fenugreek seeds, ground
    ½ teaspoon cardamom, ground
    1 dash coriander, ground
    ½ dash cloves, ground

The amounts are approximate, and feel free to pick and choose among them. Really, this is barely a recipe at all. More of a guideline.

Heat the milk. Mix all of the ingredients in a mug. Stir. Sweeten to preference.

Notes:
    I don't buy any kind of milk: soy, almond or otherwise, as I just don't drink enough of it. So, what I do is blend 1 teaspoon of almond butter (raw) in 1 cup of water. For this recipe, I just used boiling water, blended, and then poured over the cocoa mixture. It turned out foamy like it just stepped out of Starbucks.

Unsweetened non-dutch processed cocoa is not treated with alkali. The dutch processing destroys most of the flavonols present in cocoa. Besides, addition of unnecessary metals to perfectly good cocoa for a milder taste seems .. unnecessary.
    Moderator Emeritus