Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Which reminds me, I gotta find out how to get mine fixed/replaced. Miss my morning smoothies.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I wouldn't eat it regularly, myself.

Almond milk or granola? I wanted to know about Almond Milk (unsweetened).
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Almond milk or granola? I wanted to know about Almond Milk (unsweetened).

Sorry, I was saying that my concern would be the granola. Almond milk a few times a week seems fine to me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Which reminds me, I gotta find out how to get mine fixed/replaced. Miss my morning smoothies.

If you have your booklets and paperwork....there is a number or vitamix.com .....what is broken?? The pitcher? Mine has hit the floor many times and not even a scratch.....if the motor is out could be just a reset needed from over heating, which can occur if you keep it in low for too long......that happened to me and a phone call and it was back up and running in a few minutes.
    Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    I got an early valentine's day present - vitamix 5200! :ivar

I'm already loving how fast and simple it is to use. I made the peach icecream the first night (the only recipie in the book i had all the ingredients for), and a smothie the next day. It was awesome to have a smoothie that was actually smooth.

I was using a Breville Ikon (i think that was it) and it was much better than the $14.99 blender I started with, but still left all the seeds from rasberries and such.

I might have missed it, but didn't see an answer to a question back on page 178 or so of the thread, and I have the same question ....is the Dry Blade 32 oz container needed/worth it or can everything be done in the 64oz container?
    ~ Lisa
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 10, 2009
    for anyone not yet leaning in the direction of a meatless diet this will no doubt change your mind forever.

WARNING: The video about animal farming on the "chooseveg" site is extremely graphic... :cry

http://www.chooseveg.com/animal-cruelty.asp

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    edited February 13, 2009
    Sprouting
    I've gotten into growing sprouts lately, and thought I'd share what I've learned so far.

I started with a tray sprouter. Blecch. No fun.

The sprouter to get is the Easy Sprout, and the source for all things sprouty is sproutpeople.com. They have a huge selection of seeds and good info. The site's a bit old-fashioned, but hey. They're sprout people, after all.

It's fun, and easy. There's a huge variety of seeds/grains/beans available, and it'll be cheaper in the long run. One blend I liked was French Garden, which has Clover, Arugula, Cress, Radish, Fenugreek, and Dill. Try to find that blend at Whole Foods! :D

I'll post more as I learn it. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 14, 2009
    My second batch of sprouts from the Easy Sprout, this time it's alfalfa.

473685626_swuid-XL.jpg

Thumb added for size reference! mwink.gif

473685675_7cRCd-XL.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    My second batch of sprouts from the Easy Sprout, this time it's alfalfa.

Cone of Sprouts, +5 to health :D

So pretty! Nice to see FarmerTO at work. lol3.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    The UltraMind Solution: Fix Your Broken Brain by Healing Your Body First?
    Anyone heard or read anything about the Mark Hyman book: "The UltraMind Solution: Fix Your Broken Brain by Healing Your Body First"?.

I have a relative with anxiety issues that have to be treated with medication and I'm a general believer in diet being central to many health issues. Does anyone know if this book adds anything valuable beyond what ETL and TCS teaches? Anyone seen any reviews of it?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've gotten into growing sprouts lately, and thought I'd share what I've learned so far.

I started with a tray sprouter. Blecch. No fun.

The sprouter to get is the Easy Sprout, and the source for all things sprouty is sproutpeople.net. They have a huge selection of seeds and good info. The site's a bit old-fashioned, but hey. They're sprout people, after all.

It's fun, and easy. There's a huge variety of seeds/grains/beans available, and it'll be cheaper in the long run. One blend I liked was French Garden, which has Clover, Arugula, Cress, Radish, Fenugreek, and Dill. Try to find that blend at Whole Foods! :D

I'll post more as I learn it. thumb.gif

Cool, thanks for sharing. (And for the laugh "They're sprout people after all")

My biggest triumph last week was with Asian greens. I sauteed up some Bok Choy and some Choy Sum with garlic and they were delicious. My 14 month old was begging for more. Though to be fair, she begs for anything I'm eating. Yeah, it's a good age.

-Anne
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Cool, thanks for sharing. (And for the laugh "They're sprout people after all")

My biggest triumph last week was with Asian greens. I sauteed up some Bok Choy and some Choy Sum with garlic and they were delicious. My 14 month old was begging for more. Though to be fair, she begs for anything I'm eating. Yeah, it's a good age.

-Anne
    Good age indeed. Fortunately William likes tomatoes and broccoli and peas and carrots and corn (and of course potatoes and sweet potatoes). On the plane he ate my whole salad (which wasn't huge, it was airline food, but still) after I told him it was crunchy. Heh.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Such an expensive item, how come the pitcher is plastic, not glass ne_nau.gif

Not sure about the older ones, but I'm fairly sure the newer ones' pitchers are made from Tritan, a new copolyester made by Eastman (my employer, w00t!). Not to be too advertisey, but Tritan is BPA-free and super heat resistant. It's perfect for durable and repeat-dishwashing applications.

Anyway, I happened to see a VitaMix pitcher with a "made from Tritan" thing on it as I passed through the business center this afternoon. :D
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 22, 2009
    Hahaha, I was watching Larry King interview Bill Maher, and he asked him about the nation's health crisis. Bill said, no politician wants to say, "Ask your doctor if getting your ass off the couch is right for you."

He said it's simple: don't eat anything out of a box, go to the produce section, and unless you want to be sick with toxins and steroids, don't eat farm-raised anything.

Seems like the word is really getting around. Costco has a vibrant 85-year-old on its cover saying it's all about the fruits and vegetables. Ellen has gone vegan and it seems I read every week about someone prominent proclaiming the health benefits of plants.

clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 24, 2009
    After 20 years I finally decided to step it up a notch from my classic, all-stainless steel, VitaMix 3600-Plus.
    I just ordered the 5200 model and it should be here in about a week clap.gif

Double the power; significant increase in speed and a clear container... I can't wait to put it through its paces.

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    For those that can't go ETL or vegan full time, try it part time.

If the New York Times food writer Mark Bittman can go vegan before dinnertime, it shows that everyone can improve their eating habits one meal at a time.
    edited March 1, 2009
    Anybody made soup IN their VitaMix yet? I mean heating it in the VM?

I just tried it for the first time, I adapted a recipe from Fat Free Vegan. I used all water (no milk), some dry veggie broth powder (salt free) and whole cashews instead of cashew butter. I forgot to retain some potatoes for after, so they all got blended smooth.

I need to refine the recipe, but it was good. My batch is a little chewy from all the starch, I think I got too much potato for the water I had. I also want to try it with broccoli, which I think would be good.

Overall it was satisfying and very easy.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:

I just tried it for the first time, I adapted a recipe from Fat Free Vegan. I used all water (no milk), some dry veggie broth powder (salt free) and whole cashews instead of cashew butter. I forgot to retain some potatoes for after, so they all got blended smooth.

I need to refine the recipe, but it was good. My batch is a little chewy from all the starch, I think I got too much potato for the water I had. I also want to try it with broccoli, which I think would be good.

i made the Spinach soup from the VitaMix book. It was tasty, my husband thought it was too smooth "watery" he said. he wanted me to toss in sate'd spinach after making the soup in the VitaMix. Personally I liked it when i didn't have to chew anything :D
    ~ Lisa
    edited March 2, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:

Depending on if you want the soup to be like a smoothy or not not start witthe water and spices......get it going for about 5 minutes, water should be close to boiling, slow down the VM and add veggies spin about 30 seconds.....just get hot and not liquefied.....veggies should still be chunky and firm.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Hello all! I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to follow this or any other threads. I did a couple searches both against this thread and on Google but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Question #1: Someone months ago posted (in this thread) a link to a site where the author was really against the smoothie concept / liquified meals since the blending process breaks down the fiberous material before it is ingested. Real amino acid kind of stuff. Does anyone remember it, and what is the current thinking in this area?

#2: I only use fresh/whole fruit and veggies (OK, some applesauce) for the most part, a blend of fresh and frozen, including spinach, black beans, slightly steamed broccoli, whole bananas, etc. What I owuld like to do is create little prepackaged versions and bring them to work for smoothies. But I don't want to leave a Vitamix there. Anyone have suggestions on a 24-32 oz blender for this purpose? I do have an office, but really don't want to haul it in and out of the community kitchen. Simply smash up my prepackaged fresh/frozen meals. An option would to pre-blend before leaving and simply transport to the work fridge. Anyone do this?

Thanks for any help thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited March 4, 2009
    jdryan3 wrote:

#2: An option would to pre-blend before leaving and simply transport to the work fridge. Anyone do this?

Thanks for any help thumb.gif

I do the PRE blend all the time........I have a set of 6 32 oz rubber maid bottles just for this.......and my normal smoothie winds up in 2 bottles for 1 day............I drink at break and then lunch and finish at last break......no granola bars, chips or anything out of a machine at work,,,,,,,,I also carry my own drinks in (herbal tea ....normally)

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Ugh - flu has run like wildfire through my house despite gallons of Lysol. Started with my < 2yo and moved on to the rest of us in succession.

I know lots of bland easy to handle stuff for starting to re-introduce foods into recovering stomachs, but I haven't been sick since I've been eating mostly ETL and I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do for myself. None of the normal foods I eat are at all appetizing right now - fruits, nuts, veggies - yuck. Any advice to get me back to normal?
    edited March 5, 2009
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Ugh - flu has run like wildfire through my house despite gallons of Lysol. Started with my < 2yo and moved on to the rest of us in succession.

I know lots of bland easy to handle stuff for starting to re-introduce foods into recovering stomachs, but I haven't been sick since I've been eating mostly ETL and I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do for myself. None of the normal foods I eat are at all appetizing right now - fruits, nuts, veggies - yuck. Any advice to get me back to normal?

Yeah, eat what you want till you're healthy, then go ETL.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 6, 2009
    Hey I ordered this from Amazon and learned quite a bit from it:

51Qc6Ugf9uL._SS500_.jpg

Especially about calcium needs and absorption in the body.

Next to watch (you can stream it online):

adb.jpg
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    I woke up to these headlines this morning from the Los Angeles Times, BBC, CNN, etc

Eating Too Much Red Meat May Shorten Life

Daily Red Meat Raises Chances Of Dying Early

Death link to too much red meat

Killer meat

Want to live longer? Cut back on red meat

Even if you can't switch to whole food vegan, I always believe that people can make small changes in their daily food in-take to improve their health. If Mark Bittmann, author and food column journalist for the New York Times, can eat mostly vegan, everyone can....
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    I lost 19 lb doing ETL and have continued to lose since stopping the "strict" 6 weeks. I'm calling my long-term diet 2V2S - two vegan meals per day; two sweets per week. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me to try!
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    I lost 19 lb doing ETL and have continued to lose since stopping the "strict" 6 weeks. I'm calling my long-term diet 2V2S - two vegan meals per day; two sweets per week. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me to try!

Woop! Glad to hear you lost 19 pounds. That's awesome. clap.gif

Finally responded on your blog, by the way. Sorry for the lag.

-Anne
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    I lost 19 lb doing ETL

Congrats!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact