Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    I've been debating what to do when my 11 mo daughter stops breastfeeding (likely in the next few months, as we want to have lots more children and I can't handle being pregnant and breastfeeding at the same time).

Cow milk is a no.

All water may be a no, because her little belly needs lots of calories and sources of fat.

Smoothies are good, but we only have two or three a week (and really, they're only fruit and water anyway).

I'm conflicted because I don't feel like she *needs* three glasses of "milk" a day, but I also don't want to short her on calories or nutrition. Unsweetened soy milk is ok, but I don't feel good about giving more than maybe a glass a day. (Main reasons: It's highly processed and can be hard to digest.)

All this to say, I made my own almond milk today and love it! I took 4 cups of boiling water and poured it over 1 cup of raw almonds. I rubbed the skins off when the water cooled, and later tossed it all into the vitamix with two dried dates. Then I poured it through cheesecloth (and squeezed the life out of the cloth to get every drop). It's delish. I've yet to decide if it's A) economical at all B) worth the time it takes to make. It yielded about 2 1/2 cups of milk.

I think round two will involve more water and some raw sunflower seeds. Then to see if I can get some vitamin D and B12 in there for her as well.

I got the original idea from the book Disease Proof Your Child (by Dr. Fuhrman) but I don't own the book so I just improvised based on memory for round one. :D

-Anne
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Yah, almonds are expensive, used like that, especially.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    I made this Cococunt Vegetable Curry tonight served over rice and it was really good. It's a recipe from a local restaurant "PF Chang's".

Onions, red pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, sugar snap peas with a coconut curry sauce served over rice. Very tasty.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited December 2, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I made this Cococunt Vegetable Curry tonight served over rice and it was really good. It's a recipe from a local restaurant "PF Chang's".

Onions, red pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, sugar snap peas with a coconut curry sauce served over rice. Very tasty.

Just cause I can, now:

(without the rice, just the dish)
    NUTRITION FACTS

Servings: 2
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 838
    Total Fat: 11.78g
    Cholesterol: --
    Sodium: 423mg
    Total Carbs: 184.04g
    Dietary Fiber: 7.08g
    Sugars: 167.22g
    Protein: 8.00g
    Moderator Emeritus
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Just cause I can, now:

(without the rice, just the dish)
    NUTRITION FACTS

Servings: 2
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 838
    Total Fat: 11.78g
    Cholesterol: --
    Sodium: 423mg
    Total Carbs: 184.04g
    Dietary Fiber: 7.08g
    Sugars: 167.22g
    Protein: 8.00g

FYI, I used a lot more vegetables than the recipe calls for (brocolli, red peppers and snap peas mostly) and it made enough to serve 5-6. I presume that would change the numbers significantly.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited December 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    FYI, I used a lot more vegetables than the recipe calls for (brocolli, red peppers and snap peas mostly) and it made enough to serve 5-6. I presume that would change the numbers significantly.

Yup. There certainly are a lot of ways to make that recipe more ETL friendly than it is as written. Never mind me, I was just playing with the new toy. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is yummy:

===============
    Tomato Lentil Soup

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 tbs. olive oil
    - 1 onion, chopped
    - 2 stalks celery, chopped
    - 3 cloves garlic, minced
    - 2 bay leaves
    - 1 can tomato paste
    - 1 cup red wine
    - 1 cup lentils (brown or green Le Puy), sorted and rinsed
    - 3 cup water
    - 2 tablespoons Gaylord Hauser's Vegetable Broth Powder
    - 2 tbs. thyme or oregano
    - 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    - 2 teaspoons brewer's yeast
    - pepper to taste
    - 1 cup leaf spinach (frozen or fresh), slightly chopped

METHOD:

Using a large soup pot, heat the oil and add the onions and celery.
    Saute until they are golden.
    Add bay leaves and garlic.
    After two minutes add the tomato paste and wine.
    Add the lentils and enough water to cover with a couple inches of liquid. Simmer uncovered, stirring from time to time to keep the lentils from sticking on the bottom. Add the Gaylor Hauser's powder.
    Add water, wine or vegetable bouillon as needed.
    The soup should cook for about 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add a couple tablespoons of thyme or oregano, brewer's yeast and season to taste with pepper.
    Add the spinach and cook gently until the spinach is cooked.
    At the last minute stir in Dijon mustard and serve immediately.

SERVINGS: 8
    SOURCE: http://www.vegalicious.org (modified)

===============

EDIT: and just because I'm a geek, here's the nutrition information:

20081129-ngk4txwsj473s1ftxycsn1gjj8.jpg

What type of red wine....sweet or dry.....or cooking sherry...????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 3, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    What type of red wine....sweet or dry.....or cooking sherry...????

Just red. Regular red.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    A friend of mine has a 6yo boy that, along with Down Syndrome, seems to have a chronic case of sinus inflammation and congestion. He's either been on anti-biotics or using nasal sprays or meds like Zyrtec or Cingular for at least 8 months. They've come to the point where they're hoping some sort of sinus surgery would help. I've mentioned a couple times that it may be worth it to try cutting out dairy from his diet. He loves cheese, and she's worried what to feed him for lunch or snacks if he can't have a cheese stick. Others in their family struggle with seasonal allergies in a big way (her husband and 7yo daughter especially)...it seems someone is taking some sort of med for allergies or asthma year 'round. She's a nurse and is open to the idea that a diet change may help, but I think she's not looking forward to the work of overhauling their eating habits. Her husband and son are very picky eaters!

I'd like to direct her to a couple books that would help her gain some insight in this area. Can anyone recommend something (besides The China Study or Eat To Live books) that would be appropriate for this? Even dealing with children and allergies and asthma? It needs to be something not too long or complicated as she just doesn't have time to do much research. But, I'd like to point her in the right direction.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited December 4, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    A friend of mine has a 6yo boy that, along with Down Syndrome, seems to have a chronic case of sinus inflammation and congestion. He's either been on anti-biotics or using nasal sprays or meds like Zyrtec or Cingular for at least 8 months. They've come to the point where they're hoping some sort of sinus surgery would help. I've mentioned a couple times that it may be worth it to try cutting out dairy from his diet. He loves cheese, and she's worried what to feed him for lunch or snacks if he can't have a cheese stick. Others in their family struggle with seasonal allergies in a big way (her husband and 7yo daughter especially)...it seems someone is taking some sort of med for allergies or asthma year 'round. She's a nurse and is open to the idea that a diet change may help, but I think she's not looking forward to the work of overhauling their eating habits. Her husband and son are very picky eaters!

I'd like to direct her to a couple books that would help her gain some insight in this area. Can anyone recommend something (besides The China Study or Eat To Live books) that would be appropriate for this? Even dealing with children and allergies and asthma? It needs to be something not too long or complicated as she just doesn't have time to do much research. But, I'd like to point her in the right direction.

http://www.amazon.com/Disease-Proof-Your-Child-Feeding-Right/dp/0312338058
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks! I don't know how I wasn't aware of that one.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    So I went vegetarian a few months ago because of this thread, but today marks the first day I went full ETL. I'm following the first-week plan to a T so I understand the variety really available to me and also to see how I'm affected mentally and physically going a week straight.

After day 1, I can't believe how overly full I feel. This is so much friggin' food, though it looks like so little when typed on the pages of his book. The shopping I did for this week was enormous, much more expensive than my norm, and my fridge and counters are overflowing with produce. I realized today, though, that everything I cook makes two servings (save where noted), so I actually shopped for two weeks instead of one...thus I ended up spending $40 less on groceries than I usually do per week, for a total $80 savings.

I don't think I'd be able to stick to the menu if I didn't work from home and could devote myself to this much cooking. I love to cook and do so daily, but this is a lot of cooking. I'm looking forward to next week when all I have to do is defrost the leftovers. :D It's all very simple, thankfully, though tomorrow is anti-cancer soup day and that recipe intimidates me. Very much. eek7.gif

Did I mention this is just an insane amount of food? I'm really amazed.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Apparently my vitamix has quit working - had it around 6 months. Anyone with experience with Vitamix service?

ann
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    So I went vegetarian a few months ago because of this thread, but today marks the first day I went full ETL. I'm following the first-week plan to a T so I understand the variety really available to me and also to see how I'm affected mentally and physically going a week straight.

After day 1, I can't believe how overly full I feel. This is so much friggin' food, though it looks like so little when typed on the pages of his book. The shopping I did for this week was enormous, much more expensive than my norm, and my fridge and counters are overflowing with produce. I realized today, though, that everything I cook makes two servings (save where noted), so I actually shopped for two weeks instead of one...thus I ended up spending $40 less on groceries than I usually do per week, for a total $80 savings.

I don't think I'd be able to stick to the menu if I didn't work from home and could devote myself to this much cooking. I love to cook and do so daily, but this is a lot of cooking. I'm looking forward to next week when all I have to do is defrost the leftovers. :D It's all very simple, thankfully, though tomorrow is anti-cancer soup day and that recipe intimidates me. Very much. eek7.gif

Did I mention this is just an insane amount of food? I'm really amazed.

Kerry that's soooooooooooo awesome! I've been traveling a lot and therefore being "flexible" has become somewhat of a regular habit. I need to take a leaf out of your book and go back to strict ETL for several weeks. I'm using you for motivation, if you don't mind. :D

The anti-cancer soup is really good but admittedly way more fiddly in the book than it needs to be. Really, just boil a bunch of whole veggies in a pot with some peas, then when it gets mushy just blend it up into smoothness. That's all it is, really. And you can throw any vegetable you have in your fridge at it, too.
    edited December 9, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Apparently my vitamix has quit working - had it around 6 months. Anyone with experience with Vitamix service?

ann

No, but let us know!!! :D

Sorry about your VM. It's not just overheated? I had that problem...it overheated and shut down, but I left it on. It won't reset when left on. I turned it off, left it plugged in for a bit and it reset no problem. It was just the overload safety feature.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    ...Kerry wrote some good stuff...
    Coolness, Kerry. I need to get back into more. I had a few slips over the last holiday.
    i will use you as motivation, too.

BTW, congrats at the honorable mention at FotoWeek DC. That's awesome, too. clap.gifthumb
    edited December 9, 2008
    Yay, Kerry! clap.gif

Looking forward to hearing about your results. Schmoo's right on the soup. It's way easy, only hard because of the amount it makes and the juicing of the carrots and celery (which Schmoo doesn't do, anyway!). I prefer black-eyed peas in mine over split peas. When cooked they're so soft and creamy. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 9, 2008
    Dr. Fuhrman is still a doof. I wish he would learn to use his hands while on camera!

But hey, it's worked for us! Can't deny his nutrient dense diet works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPiR9VcuVWw
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann

I thought mine had shut down also and called them....and they walked me thru some steps and told me to call back if that did not fix prob....like David mine was an over heat and needed to be unplugged to do a good reset......it happens from running on the slower speeds toooo long (not getting it up on HIGH fast enuff).......

Hope that is all that it is for you also.
    VM service was very nice and personable to me.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 10, 2008
    I killed my blender today making the broccoli and red pepper soup (which is so delish!), so I need to find a quick replacement in order to make the anti-cancer soup for tonight. Wish I could afford a Vitamix since I now have the perfect excuse for such a purchase. mwink.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    My Vitamix: I haven't seen the problem in action, but what happened is that the metal gear dealy on the base, with the thick rubber around it, that connects to the blender and runs the blade, has come undone from the base. It still turns but then smokes and burns the rubber.

This problem arose while I was at the dgrin party - got a text from home telling me about it! We bought this one at the local Costco, so IF the dh had a clue where the receipt was I could just get it replaced..........Sigh.

Maybe I could imagine that the damage occurred during the daughter's unfortunate incident in October, and put it into the insurance claim.
    edited December 10, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    We bought this one at the local Costco, so IF the dh had a clue where the receipt was I could just get it replaced..........Sigh.

Would Costco have electronic records of your purchase? These days you don't need the physical receipt for most of the larger stores.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    This problem arose while I was at the dgrin party - got a text from home telling me about it! We bought this one at the local Costco, so IF the dh had a clue where the receipt was I could just get it replaced..........Sigh.
    Costco has a record of all transactions and they have an amazing return policy.

Just give them the approximate date of purchase and they can look things up.
    edited December 10, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I killed my blender today making the broccoli and red pepper soup (which is so delish!), so I need to find a quick replacement in order to make the anti-cancer soup for tonight. Wish I could afford a Vitamix since I now have the perfect excuse for such a purchase. mwink.gif

I'm REALLY happy with my Breville juicer, and their blender looks to be pretty good for an inexpensive (compared to VM) blender. BB&Beyond had them last time I was their. With a 20% off coupon, you'd be all set! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm REALLY happy with my Breville juicer, and their blender looks to be pretty good for an inexpensive (compared to VM) blender. BB&Beyond had them last time I was their. With a 20% off coupon, you'd be all set! :D

I have the Breville blender and it works great! I love the fact that the carafe is glass, and everything is easy to clean. It makes smoothies and hummus very well, nice and smooth. Much better than the grocery store blender I had before (that thing didnt even crush ice correctly).
    ~ Lisa
    edited December 12, 2008
    Biggest taste surprise thus far: baby spinach with shredded pear and a squeeze of lemon is insanely good. I thought it would taste very spinachy without dressing, so I was very surprised at the flavor. And it's so simple. This will be a staple while visiting my family during Christmas. thumb.gif
    edited December 14, 2008
    Nutritional Yeast: who uses it and what do you know about it?

I started using it because the gravy I made for thanksgiving and the lentil soup I posted both call for it. It adds a great flavor to both, I think.

Thing is, all those B vitamins--wow. It's a major pick-me up. I sprinkled some on some of Ann's chili that I had frozen a while back. This was a late-ish dinner. I could not sleep. No wonder James Cameron had vitamin B injected into his butt while filming Titanic.

So: anyone else use it? If so, how? Anyone hate it? Anyone else notice the boost in energey it gives? Ideas for how to best use it? Favorite brands?

I want to start using it as a B12 supplement instead of the tabs. Not all brands have B12, as it doesn't occur naturally in the yeast, apparently, but has to be added. Still, I'm thinking that it'd be nicer to have the B12 just be in my diet.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nutritional Yeast: who uses it and what do you know about it?

I started using it because the gravy I made for thanksgiving and the lentil soup I posted both call for it. It adds a great flavor to both, I think.

Thing is, all those B vitamins--wow. It's a major pick-me up. I sprinkled some on some of Ann's chili that I had frozen a while back. This was a late-ish dinner. I could not sleep. No wonder James Cameron had vitamin B injected into his butt while filming Titanic.

So: anyone else use it? If so, how? Anyone hate it? Anyone else notice the boost in energey it gives? Ideas for how to best use it? Favorite brands?

I want to start using it as a B12 supplement instead of the tabs. Not all brands have B12, as it doesn't occur naturally in the yeast, apparently, but has to be added. Still, I'm thinking that it'd be nicer to have the B12 just be in my diet.

I don't know which brand we use, but generally I end up feeling a bit unwell after eating anything that it was used in. So generally I don't like to use it. However when we used it in the Chickpea Cutlets it was pretty good. As for the added nutrients of it, I'm all for that. Just don't like having an upset stomach after eating :(
    Travis
    edited December 14, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I don't know which brand we use, but generally I end up feeling a bit unwell after eating anything that it was used in. So generally I don't like to use it. However when we used it in the Chickpea Cutlets it was pretty good. As for the added nutrients of it, I'm all for that. Just don't like having an upset stomach after eating :(

I've never experienced that. Could be your brand of yeast, or just the brand of you, I 'spose. All I ever feel after is energized. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 14, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've never experienced that. Could be your brand of yeast, or just the brand of you, I 'spose. All I ever feel after is energized. thumb.gif

Might be the brand since I experience that, too. But we have a huuuuuuuuuge tub of it. What a waste! rolleyes1.gif