Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Tortilla Soup as a whole meal
    This is one of the best things we make. It's very healthy (you should see the pile of multi-colored chopped veggies that goes into it). It's foolproof to make, it's really good, the ingredients are available pretty much all year and left-overs are great. I served it to my parents when they visited (they are not vegans) and they loved it. We make it regularly for ourselves. ALL you have to be able to do to make it is read directions, chop, measure, stir and set a timer - foolproof. There's no "technique" or "judgment" involved.

It's also nice because it's family-schedule-friendly, not one of those meals where the timing of when everything is done has to be just right. I can make it late afternoon, leave it sitting on the stove (with the stove off) while I pick up my daughter from soccer practice, get home, heat it up for a few minutes and serve.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    2 small zuchhini, diced
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
    6 cups vegetable stock
    1 can (14 oz) stewed tomatoes
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1½ teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 can (11 oz) corn, drained
    3 (6 inch) flour tortillas, halved and cut into ½-inch wide strips
    2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, zucchini, bell pepper, garlic and chili pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes.

Add the stock, stewed tomatoes, oregano, cumin and salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the corn and tortilla strips and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.

Stir in the cilantro. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Garnish with wedges of avocado and squeezes of lime and serve immediately. The avocado is optional, but if they are in season and you are OK with the healthy fats from it, it adds a nice treat to it.

If you follow the recipe literally, it will come out barely like a soup. It will be more the consistency of a chunky chowder (not a lot of runny liquid). I tend to add just enough water about 5 minutes before it's done to get it back to the consistency I want so there's a bit of broth left.

This is hearty enough and filling enough and contains enough different foods that it can serve as your entire meal if you want. Or, you can serve an appetizer like a steamed artichoke first. If we didn't have an appetizer, we sometimes have a few slices of sourdough bread to go with it.

Leftovers keep really well in the fridge and a single bowl can be heated up easily in the microwave for subsequent lunches or dinners.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    For 3 weeks I drank pure water and salad. Ten I managed to reduce my weight by 20 kilograms. It is difficult, but at the end is possible.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Homemade almond milk is amazing stuff. Easy, and so much better than store bought.

1 1/4 cups almonds
    1 quart water + water for soaking
    1 medjool date, or 2-3 regular pitted dates
    1/4 tsp. vanilla, or to taste
    cinnamon, if you want, to taste.

Cover the almonds in cold water, and store covered in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 6 hours.

Drain.

Blend with the water, dates, vanilla and cinnamon.

Strain through a cheesecloth, or even better, one of these nut milk bags. Make sure you squeeze all the goodness out, and compost the dry almond stuff.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 22, 2009
    I'm loving the BBQ Tempeh that I got from Vegan Soul Kitchen.

I've modified it, here goes:

1 lb. tempeh
    2-3 limes, juiced
    1/4 cup agave nectar
    1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce (canned or you can make your own)
    1/4 cup tamari (or less, the original recipe called for a lot more!!!)
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1/4 tsp. cayenne

Cut the tempeh crosswise into fingers. Put everything else in the blender and blend well. Put the tempeh in an oven safe pan, pour the sauce over, and place in BBQ (or oven) for 45 minutes, covered. (Careful, first time I did this on the BBQ I burned the heck out of it). When cooked, place on BBQ grill for a couple minutes per side.

Makes a great sammy on whole wheat pita with spring mix and chopped heirloom tomato. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited July 22, 2009
    BTW, that same basic BBQ recipe is what makes his BBQ Baked Black-eyed Peas so awesome.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Just to share with folks here, some fun progress...

For me, stage 1 of getting healthy was to change my diet to give up meat and dairy and add a lot more vegetables (and lose a bunch of weight along the way), I accomplished that a little while ago thanks to some books I read and some encouragement of folks here.

Stage 2 was to start getting fit and get in a lot better shape. Towards that goal, I completed my first ever marathon today when I ran the San Francisco marathon (at age 51)! I can't say it was easy, but it was something I've dreamed about doing for a long time and it's nice to have hit that goal. Hopefully, I can continue training and the next marathons won't be so difficult. I might run the Silicon Valley Marathon in Oct (far fewer hills than San Francisco).

I'm not sure what stage 3 is, but it's probably refinements in the previous two - fewer grains and more veggies in the diet and even better fitness. I'm hoping the fitness stuff can rub off on the family some too (the healthy eating already has rubbed off on the family). My teenage son was inspired by seeing the marathon today and was talking about maybe trying to run a half marathon and my younger daughter was talking about running a 10k. It's nice to see that inspiration and is kind of a nice secondary reward.

Hope you're all having a nice day.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Just to share with folks here, some fun progress...

For me, stage 1 of getting healthy was to change my diet to give up meat and dairy and add a lot more vegetables (and lose a bunch of weight along the way), I accomplished that a little while ago thanks to some books I read and some encouragement of folks here.

Stage 2 was to start getting fit and get in a lot better shape. Towards that goal, I completed my first ever marathon today when I ran the San Francisco marathon (at age 51)! I can't say it was easy, but it was something I've dreamed about doing for a long time and it's nice to have hit that goal. Hopefully, I can continue training and the next marathons won't be so difficult. I might run the Silicon Valley Marathon in Oct (far fewer hills than San Francisco).

I'm not sure what stage 3 is, but it's probably refinements in the previous two - fewer grains and more veggies in the diet and even better fitness. I'm hoping the fitness stuff can rub off on the family some too (the healthy eating already has rubbed off on the family). My teenage son was inspired by seeing the marathon today and was talking about maybe trying to run a half marathon and my younger daughter was talking about running a 10k. It's nice to see that inspiration and is kind of a nice secondary reward.

Hope you're all having a nice day.

Awesome! Congratulations! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Wow, that's wonderful John! Great job! thumb.gif
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Congrats!
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    In my twitter travels, I've started following @veganhope. She was an overweight diabetic, who after going vegan was off her meds in 3 weeks. She's now a somewhat overzealous and wordy vegan, and she's also a good source on things vegan. She just put up this PDF of recipes.

Thanks for the link to the PDF, I'm still looking for more recipes!

I like the idea of kale, but not so much the taste. Think some of those kale smoothies are the way to go.
    edited July 27, 2009
    Dee wrote:

I like the idea of kale, but not so much the taste. Think some of those kale smoothies are the way to go.

I won't put kale in my smoothies, and I like it!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Towards that goal, I completed my first ever marathon today when I ran the San Francisco marathon (at age 51)!

Congratulations. I feel like such a slug now.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Dee wrote:

A bit of kale in smoothies is great - can't overdo it, but it's a good way to add kale to your diet. I do it all the time.
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    The China Study
    Does anyone have a used copy of this book that they're not using anymore? I'm trying to find one at my local stores, but can't.

I'll return the book... I'm just very interested(after reading this thread) to read it.

Heidi
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I love you guys!
    Just found this thread and it's right up my alley! I started transitioning to a whole foods/vegetarian lifestyle about two years ago and slowly lost about 10 pounds of the course of the first year (I'm small to begin with, so it just cleared up that little bit that I wasn't able to get rid of through exercise alone) and I feel great. I do take vegetarian vitamins (i.e., regular daily multivitamins that are not produced with animal products, not vegetarian-specific vitamins) and get a lot of exercise. It did take me a little while to figure out how to eat properly for everything I put my body through (rock climbing and such - indoor only, it's flat here :-/ ), but since I figured out the formula I've been good to go.

I'm a huge advocate of knowing where your food comes from and what happens to it along the way. Fortunately, this town (Gainesville, FL) is pretty good about it; we just had an 'eat local' challenge for the month of May. The locally-owned grocery stores and restaurants put up little markers to indicate which foods were locally produced and fit into the challenge, and many of them never took the markers down. I didn't have to adapt my diet much since I pretty much already lived that way, but I did take the final step of getting local yogurt from the farmer's market produced by a family with a herd of grass-fed dairy cows. I really recommend giving this a try. Maybe we should have a 'smugmug eat local month' for September or something, so there is support as people go through it together, and still plenty of fresh produce available throughout the country.

Like most everyone else has suggested, I got into it gradually, pay attention to what I eat and take my vitamins. I eat fish once every couple of months and only eat meat if I am at someone's house that has prepared it for the main meal (like my boyfriend's parents... all of my friends already prepare vegetarian meals for group dinners even though I'm the only vegetarian - it's a good way to spread the love and to introduce people to the wonderful world of meat-free meals!).

It is a little difficult when going out to eat, mainly because I'm the only one with special preferences. Most everyone I know would rather go to Sonny's BBQ, but there's nothing there I can eat, so then it makes the decision process difficult, and I HATE making decisions and have everyone cater to me in the first place. :) I always get all stressed out trying to find a place to eat out that will satisfy whomever I'm with and will have something for me (besides a salad, that does get old sometimes even though I love them. Besides, I'm sure that most restaurant dressing has high fructose corn syrup in it anyway...). Most places that are vegetarian-friendly are not always quick and cheap, but the places that are tend to have overall better quality food. Most people are pretty accommodating, but I feel bad making everyone change their plans for me. Our company will be driving to DC next month for a trade show and I'm already worried about where we'll be stopping to eat on the road. It's me and thirteen 20- and 30-something year old guys. It'll be Cracker Barrel and burger joints the whole way. I'll be sure to bring lots of snacks to eat on my own :)

I haven't seen Food, Inc. yet as it is not playing in this area, though I would really like to. I'll take a peek back through some of the more recent posts to see if anyone else has had the opportunity.

Last couple things: some suggestions that have helped me.

I love Michael Pollan. I always offer his three rules when talking to people about healthy eating:

1 - eat REAL food
    2 - not too much
    3 - mostly vegetables

Also, Laurel's Kitchen is one of my vegetarian bibles and it has some great recommendations. Here's the daily dietary breakdown it suggests (I'm doing this from memory so I might be off by a serving or two):

1 - have four servings of whole grains
    2 - have three servings of veggies, at least onesuper veggie
    3 - have one serving of dairy, legume, or super veggie
    4 - fill out the rest of your caloric needs with whole foods

Super veggies include: broccoli, brussel sprouts, bok choy, edible-pod peas, lightly cooked greens (kale, spinach, etc), asparagus, and okra (I'm sure there are one or two more I'm forgetting). I find that I make sure that I now have at least two super veggies on hand at home at all times :)

Anyway, I've nearly written a new book so I'll wrap up now! Thanks for the thread!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited July 29, 2009
    Older Podcast...
    So I was catching up on some old Podcasts, and came across Michael Pollan playing Not My Job on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Makes me chuckle...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102745034
    -=Bradford

edited July 29, 2009
    So I was catching up on some old Podcasts, and came across Michael Pollan playing Not My Job on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Makes me chuckle...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102745034

I love that show. OT, have you tried MediaFly? I dislike having to connect my iPhone to my computer just to update my podcast subscriptions, and this does it automagically over 3G or WiFi. Not perfect, but the best solution I've found yet.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited July 29, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I love that show. OT, have you tried MediaFly? I dislike having to connect my iPhone to my computer just to update my podcast subscriptions, and this does it automagically over 3G or WiFi. Not perfect, but the best solution I've found yet.

I do not have an iPhone, I know hard to believe, but the corporate leash is the Blackberry. I am too cheap to get my own iPhone so I don't have any experience with it. Might have to go take a look as it just indicated it did support BB.
    -=Bradford

edited July 29, 2009
    I do not have an iPhone, I know hard to believe, but the corporate leash is the Blackberry. I am too cheap to get my own iPhone so I don't have any experience with it. Might have to go take a look as it just indicated it did support BB.

Mediafly is not just for the iPhone, that's just how I use it. :D

EDIT: Oh, it took a while for your last sentence to work its way through my brain! Let me know if you find it useful.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 31, 2009
    VelvtRide wrote:
    Does anyone have a used copy of this book that they're not using anymore? I'm trying to find one at my local stores, but can't.

I'll return the book... I'm just very interested(after reading this thread) to read it.

Heidi
    I'll send you one, Heidi. Just shoot me your address via PM on ADVrider.

Speaking of, a thread like this finally broke out there and amazingly enough it's up to 74 pages already and all kinds of interest. Wow! wings.gif

I can hardly believe what's happened since this thread started 2 years ago. We know something like 400 people now who've transformed themselves. Every Sunday night a group meets at our house to watch talks on nutrition via our DVD player. The China Study, an unpromoted book from a minor publisher has steadily risen over four years to be in the top 100 at Amazon.

So. Awesome. thumb.gif
    edited July 31, 2009
    Kinkajou wrote:
    I haven't seen Food, Inc. yet as it is not playing in this area, though I would really like to. I'll take a peek back through some of the more recent posts to see if anyone else has had the opportunity.
    Great post, Kinkajou. :D

I saw Food, Inc., and recommend it to everyone. It's really inspired by Fast Food Nation and Ominvore's Dilemma, so if you've read those, you know 80%. But you get to see Eric Schlosser's and Michael Pollen's shining faces a lot, and they're compelling.

What hit a nerve for me was the extent that Monsanto has been successful in patenting genetically modified seeds and then taking over the market by suing farmers out of business who don't use them. We're really heading towards monocultures with industrialized farming, and who knows what the effect of genetically modified plants will turn out to be.

I'm dealing with enough lawsuits against SmugMug that I could really feel the farmer's pain. Nature blows Monsanto's seeds onto their fields and just like that they're in violation of Monsanto's patents and have neither the money nor sophistication to defend themselves, regardless of their innocence or guilt.
    edited August 2, 2009
    Eye-opening book:

20090802-8w65emdc1prgkqkcedc8um6d3t.jpg

I read it yesterday. Kessler is a doc who became commissioner of the FDA.

I almost didn't buy the book because the Amazon reviews were mixed. Some people said it's boring and repetitive. Now that I've read it, it's hard to imagine who those people are, unless they're from the food industry and already know how food is engineered to be irresistible. I didn't know what goes behind the design of a Nacho Cheese Dorito, so to me it was fascinating.

Section 1 is how you can combine salt, sugar, and fat—which alone are not addictive—in ways that really get to you. You list chicken on the menu which gives consumers a pass on their guilt, but you tumble the chicken as part of it's preparation to break down the cell walls so it's tender, inject it with salt, and replace some of its water with fat, so it explodes with flavor as you chew and slips down the throat easily. You batter it with what industry insiders call "the fat bomb" because the flour absorbs so much fat in a thin layer that doesn't tip consumers off to how much fat there is. And you provide a dipping sauce with sugar to complete the three points of the compass: sugar, fat and salt.

Section 3 is about the food engineering that goes on behind the scenes at Chili's , Applebees, Cinnabon, Frito-Lay, etc., to take the three points of the compass to the next level with chemical flavors to simply make foods irresistible even when you're not hungry, as food engineers like to say.

It isn't a book about whole plant foods, but after you read it you think, "Oh. My. Gosh. Thank goodness that's what I eat."
    edited August 18, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Mediafly is not just for the iPhone, that's just how I use it. :D

EDIT: Oh, it took a while for your last sentence to work its way through my brain! Let me know if you find it useful.

I tried it, it is pretty cool but the battery life on the Blackberry is pretty sucky so I stopped after two days until I find a better battery solution.

On the health note, running is starting again, decided work was taking too much time so running again, still trying to get a marathon done before I am 40..... I decided to sign up for the Nike+ stuff and doing that against a friend of mine. Right now I am behind in the challenge, fastest mile by Sept 12, by 14 seconds.

What was cool was during the annual sales meetings, everyone made sure I had "brad" food at the meals.

And the one that makes me laugh, I decided to shave my head on my birthday in June, I am still keeping it clean....
    -=Bradford

• VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    I'll send you one, Heidi. Just shoot me your address via PM on ADVrider.

Speaking of, a thread like this finally broke out there and amazingly enough it's up to 74 pages already and all kinds of interest. Wow! wings.gif

I can hardly believe what's happened since this thread started 2 years ago. We know something like 400 people now who've transformed themselves. Every Sunday night a group meets at our house to watch talks on nutrition via our DVD player. The China Study, an unpromoted book from a minor publisher has steadily risen over four years to be in the top 100 at Amazon.

So. Awesome. thumb.gif

Sorry so late to see this! lol3.gif

I'll shoot you a pm.... Thanks, Chris! iloveyou.gif

P.S. Been keeping up with that thread, too!
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    So I'm reading this thread as I eat some oreo cookies washed down with coffee and nutrasweet, wondering why I'm feeling so sluggish---DUH!

Don't know that this thread will get me back on the awesome healthy bandwagon I was on last year that had me running miles--but it doesn't hurt--it's making me feel pretty guilty and sometimes that's a good thing.

Thanks Andy, Baldy and all the rest.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Ken KKen K Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Bump
    Ken Kovak
    KenK Photography - Lehigh Valley, PA
    http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    From beanland
    I've put a few posts up on my blog that may be of some interest here.

I'm finally addressing the reason we eat like crazy people. Here's the first post of a series beginning today:
    http://beanland.wordpress.com/2009/09/08/healthy-diet-cure-heart-disease/

If anyone has comments/questions/"she's not crazy" remarks/"she IS crazy" remarks ... feel free to make them there. :D

Also, I finally got around to updating my recipes page with some new stuff including Black Bean Burgers, whole wheat buns, seriously fast white bean soup, and a few more:

http://beanland.wordpress.com/recipes-found-on-beanland/

We've really been loving the farmer's markets this summer. I hope everyone is packing in the colorful fruit and veg! thumb.gif

-Anne

p.s. I'm looking forward to apple picking in a few weeks. We're going to make homemade applesauce this year again. Jonathan apples, with their skins on, make a lovely reddish sauce that freezes beautifully and doesn't need any added sugar. Because really, what NEEDS added sugar anyway? Heh.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Uh :uhoh clicky picky

689670518_yH4N9-L.jpg

And people call us Apple fan-boys.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Uh :uhoh clicky picky

689670518_yH4N9-L.jpg

And people call us Apple fan-boys.... rolleyes1.gif

aare thhhose hammmmbuuurgers and frrries?? Doesn't look very healthyrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    the MAD COWBOY and OPRAH...........
    Back in 1996 or so Howard Lyman and Oprah got into a court battle in Texas with the beef growers assoc.
    here is a link to the final verdict from their lawsuit:

Harold Lyman and Oprah Winfrey Lawsuit ..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website