Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Ah yes, kidney stones. I seem to recall rolling around on the floor naked and not caring who came in the door as long as they could make the pain stop! And then the EMTs saying they wish they could give me something for it, but since it's abdominal pain they can't... :cry

That's something I hope to never go through again. Cranberry juice is the best preventative, from what I was told.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    A recipe? headscratch.gif
    Well, not a recipe per se, but reading your reply was a help. I had read some that say to use apple juice, yogurt, etc in smoothies. Just fruit, some veggies and Silk should do? I'll give it a go.deal.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    I'm not a medical practitioner, but I'd be surprised if that's the conventional 'passage' to the renal organs.

No, but those visits are near the top of the same list of things not to enjoy!
    pathfinder wrote:
    Kidney stones are right up there on the top of the list of things not to enjoy.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    http://www.drfuhrman.com/

To me, It just makes sense. It's not a diet. Not like Atkins, South Beach, or Zone. There's no company behind this. And it's not a "craze" or a "fad."

Okay, I'm in.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Okay, I'm in.

Gary
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Tonight: I had a GINORMOUS Greek salad (very, very light on the olive oil in the dressing!), sans the feta cheese. It was awesome. Had some toasted hummus and pita.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I have a Vitamix

So, tell me why I would spend an extra $300 for a blender. ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

dr._fuhrmans_food_products_for_the_eat_to_live_program-20070725-205636.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    Hmmph. A blender maintains the fiber, as well, and can be had for about $300 less. I just want to know what I'm getting for that premium price that I couldn't get in a Hamilton Beach, GE, or any other off the shelf blender.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 25, 2007
    You're getting a Vita Mixer........
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    You're getting a Vita Mixer........

OK, so let's put it this way: how do I justify it to my wife? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 25, 2007
    I've had a Vita Mix for years. It's so not an ordinary blender.

First: it has a magneto drive motor so it can pulverize anything with reverse action in seconds

and becuase it's ultra high speed it generates heat that can "cook" your veggies into a soup all in one fell swoop.

add ice cubes or ice water instead and make instant fruit or veggie slushies
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    OK, so let's put it this way: how do I justify it to my wife? ear.gif

Tell her it's an 'L' lens.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Looking for new and different things to eat to become 'healthy' is BS. Just slash your sugar intake, slash your fat intake, and exercise. No exceptions, no excuses. That's it. mwink.gif
    And no special beaters are required, either! That's just yet another diversion from the fundamental truth, that your weight is the difference between what goes in and what goes out and off.

This thread is off at a tangent again. People are constantly looking for excuses to be able to keep eating the same volumes of sugar and fat (and the same typically ridiculous portion sizes, generally) and remain sedentary - and there are plenty of entrepreneurs ready to take their money so they can continue to believe they don't need to change their habits.

No special tools, no 'pop doctor' endorsements, nor airport best-seller books are required. Just do it! mwink.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited July 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

www.willitblend.com
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    To me, It just makes sense. It's not a diet. Not like Atkins, South Beach, or Zone. There's no company behind this. And it's not a "craze" or a "fad."

Actually it is a diet. I agree with what you mean Andy on the restrictive nature of the word, as in #2 below (or #1-d). It is just a pet peeve of mine when I hear people say they need to "go on a diet".

No they don't - they need to CHANGE their diet. 10,000 calories a day based on Oreos, Dortitos, 24oz ribeye steaks, all the diet soda you want, that IS a diet. Just not a very heathy one. The word is a first of all a noun, then a verb.

From Webster's~

Main Entry: 1di·et [URL="javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?diet0001.wav=diet')"][/URL] Pronunciation: \ˈdī-ət\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English diete, from Anglo-French, from Latin diaeta, from Greek diaita, literally, manner of living, from diaitasthai to lead one's life Date: 13th century 1 a: food and drink regularly provided or consumed b: habitual nourishment c: the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason d: a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight <going on a diet>

2diet Function: verb Date: 14th century transitive verb 1 : to cause to take food : feed 2 : to cause to eat and drink sparingly or according to prescribed rules intransitive verb : to eat sparingly or according to prescribed rules

(bolded emphasis added by me)
    :hide
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Tell her it's an 'L' lens.

Not married, are you? mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Not married, are you? mwink.gif

Not for long if I came home with a $300+ blender.
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 26, 2007
    I've heard William C. Roberts, who's the editor of the American Journal of Cardiology and the medical director of the Baylor Heart and Vascular Institute, say that meat is so hard on humans because we have the characteristics of herbivores.

Here are some of the arguments (he has a lot more):

http://www.goveg.com/naturalhumandiet_physiology.asp
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Well, with twins about to arrive (our first children) I've been looking to the future and am wanting to improve my health. I've also been looking at the past 9 years since I've been married and realized that 2-3lb/year weight gain DOES add up! headscratch.gif I don't want that to continue!

This thread has encouraged me to make some changes! I'll have to go out and get a copy of Eat to Live when I get some free time this weekend. I did start changing my eating habits a few days ago. I came home from the store with all sorts of fruits, veggies, whole-wheat pitas, hummus (all stuff my wife already eats more than me so she's loving it), etc. After two days I must say it does feel good to eat so well. Noting my new resolve and food choices, my wife commented today: "who are you and what have you done with my husband!?" :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hmmph. A blender maintains the fiber, as well, and can be had for about $300 less. I just want to know what I'm getting for that premium price that I couldn't get in a Hamilton Beach, GE, or any other off the shelf blender.

I wasa using EAS protein mixes when I first became diabetic (the diabetic class teacher said that using protein mixes was a good thing...hmmmm) and I went thru 3- $50 - 75 blenders in less that 6 months..burned up...if I added 2 to 3 times the mil or water then they worked fine also crusing ice in a blender sucks......then one day at a SAM's Club a Vita Mix rep was hawking them for under $300 with a 7yr warranty.......I stop put the calculator to work and figured if I bought one more blenmder from any retailer (not the 19.99 or 29.99 model but a decent one) I would ahve spent over $300 in just over 6months on blenders.......I now have had my vita mix for going on 3 yrs and abuse the hell out of it......my only problem is finding good fresh veggies to run thru it...Wichita sucks when it comes to a good variety of good veggies ( and camera stores)....but it still whips a mean protein shake without the extra liquid added in....

That is why they are worth it the dang thing weighs a ton and that is one thing that will move to europe with me and my ronco dehydrator......:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Losing about 4-5 pounds a month now I guess?

Does that mean that if you continue with the diet you'll eventually disappear?
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Actually it is a diet. I agree with what you mean Andy on the restrictive nature of the word, as in #2 below (or #1-d). It is just a pet peeve of mine when I hear people say they need to "go on a diet".

No they don't - they need to CHANGE their diet. 10,000 calories a day based on Oreos, Dortitos, 24oz ribeye steaks, all the diet soda you want, that IS a diet. Just not a very heathy one. The word is a first of all a noun, then a verb.

From Webster's~

Main Entry: 1di·et Pronunciation: \ˈdī-ət\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English diete, from Anglo-French, from Latin diaeta, from Greek diaita, literally, manner of living, from diaitasthai to lead one's life Date: 13th century 1 a: food and drink regularly provided or consumed b: habitual nourishment c: the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason d: a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight <going on a diet>

2diet Function: verb Date: 14th century transitive verb 1 : to cause to take food : feed 2 : to cause to eat and drink sparingly or according to prescribed rules intransitive verb : to eat sparingly or according to prescribed rules

(bolded emphasis added by me)
    :hide

1 thing every one has failed to mention about the word diet.........look at it closely...very closely .....DIE T.......DI ET.........iT IS PRONOUNCED DIE IT......that in itself should be a clue that dieting is totally unhealthy for anyone.............

In a sense you are very correct about the word diet....and all medical personnel will tell you that diets and dieting are very bad and unhealthy for you.....a persons current diet is also their lifestyle and to do why Andy and Baldy and others have done is not to start another diet for thmselves bit actually changed their lifestyle.......if you diet it will not last and you will be back where you started or worse.....but if you make lifestyle changes it will usually last, but those changes also usually include more exercise and a much less sedentarty style of life......

We as americans ahve another problem and that is the FDA and other regulatory agencys.....they do allow pesticides, chemical fertilizers and steroid to be used on veggies and fruits and also meat animals that are to be sold as free of all these killers but at a lower dosage than the noirmal foodstuff...that way it can be sold as organic and in health food stores.........unless you oraganically grow you own food stuff you are posioning yourself daily..........it is a very sad truth......

Here is what got me..... When I became diabetic, I was in the infant stages....the normal person will have been diabetic for upto 10 yrs before being diagnosed,.......any way.....I began to read lables of all the SUGAR FREE foodstuffs out there......the diabetic teachers told of if it ends in "ose" it is sugar.......do you ahve any idea how many SUGAR FREE items are loaded with fructose, sucrose etc etc.......I wanted protein bars to carry when I was hunting and fishing so I blindy pick up a few that were marked as 100% pure protein.......Uhhhhhh there was almost 40 grams of sugar in the damn things....but the FDA lets tehm be sold as 100% PURE PROTEIN...........

As WWW said cut the refinded suigar cut any anll processed foods...don't wanna drink juice with seed and peals and such then buy a juicer and loose all the valuables but drink the jjuice straight from the fuit or veggie.....and exercise cause all the changing of the foodstuffs is only part of the fix.....

Gotta go to bed.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    That is why they are worth it the dang thing weighs a ton and that is one thing that will move to europe with me and my ronco dehydrator......:D
    Bad news... Plug that thing in the wall in europe and you'll ruin it quick. Even if you have a transformer, your power will still be at 50hz which will cause your vitamix's 60hz motor to die quick.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    The Vita-Mix is the food machine most highly recommended by Dr. Fuhrman becasue...
    rolleyes1.gifDon't take this the wrong way, but having one doctor be the highly visible personality pushing a certain diet, and then hawking merchandise like blenders as well...to me that degrades the message and makes outsiders think it is a "fad" or a scam, or that it's just like all the others (diets, etc.). For a while all you heard about was Dr. Atkins, then it was South Beach, I'm sure before that there were others.

I think this way of eating is different, just as I believe you guys that the Vita-Mix is different from a regular mixer. But you have to admit that on the surface none of this seems much different from previous "fads".

I'd hate to see a line of "Fuhrman Breakfast Bars" and the "Furhman Vac-U-Seal Food Saver" start appearing. :D
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Bad news... Plug that thing in the wall in europe and you'll ruin it quick. Even if you have a transformer, your power will still be at 50hz which will cause your vitamix's 60hz motor to die quick.
    .....Actually vitamix told me they have converters or I can have mine permanetly converted by them or here locally....as for those little cheap as hell plug adapters...I wouldn't trust them to run my blow dryer.....I appreciate the info Mike......Thanks alot.....

• Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    Made my first smoothie last night. My 5yo was all over me - apparently he had never seen a blender before!

So I threw in a banana, 15 frozen strawberries, a few ice cubes, a big handful of fresh spinach, and a good slug of unsweetened Silk. As he watched it all get gobbled up he started looking around for other stuff to chuck in there. "How 'bout a peach, Daddy?" Hmmm, good idea! So we threw that in as well. I had to stop him there though - that was already one big smoothie!

I must say it didn't look very appetizing - kind of a thick, grey-green concoction. But it sure tasted really good!thumb.gif
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I must say it didn't look very appetizing - kind of a thick, grey-green concoction. But it sure tasted really good!thumb.gif

Yeah so... that's why I add frozen blueberries at the end. deal.gif

They'll turn anything "berry colored", and therefore, more appetizing!

-Anne
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifDon't take this the wrong way, but having one doctor be the highly visible personality pushing a certain diet, and then hawking merchandise like blenders as well...to me that degrades the message and makes outsiders think it is a "fad" or a scam, or that it's just like all the others (diets, etc.). For a while all you heard about was Dr. Atkins, then it was South Beach, I'm sure before that there were others.

I think this way of eating is different, just as I believe you guys that the Vita-Mix is different from a regular mixer. But you have to admit that on the surface none of this seems much different from previous "fads".

I'd hate to see a line of "Fuhrman Breakfast Bars" and the "Furhman Vac-U-Seal Food Saver" start appearing. :D
    Oh I absolutely see what you mean. Vitamixes have been around since the 70s, however, and my mother-in-law has had hers a solid decade. My family heard about them from a sales guy at Costco, and only later learned Dr. Fuhrman uses one, too. (Dunno if that helps).

I'm not sure if Dr. Fuhrman gets a kick-back if you order from his site, but I do see why he promotes a heavy-duty blender. His "whole plant food" philosophy is illustrated really well by the idea of tossing the whole fruit (peel and all) in with whole veggies, etc. Also, when he eats salad dressing, it's usually got no oil in it and instead is blended up fruits/veggies and spices. So the fact that there are no "healthy" salad dressings at the super market is not an excuse when you have a good blender at home.

I wish I wish that Dr. Fuhrman would become the next "Atkins" and thousands of Americans would adopt a whole plant foods diet. I wish they'd start stocking more products at the supermarket that cater to this kind of diet/lifestyle. Unfortunately, Americans want to continue eating what they eat AND lose weight. ne_nau.gif

I don't think I've met somebody who didn't know fruits and veggies and whole grains were good for him. And yet, people still look for that magic pill or perfect combination of "superfoods" to help them lose the weight.

EDIT: There is another high-powered blender on the market if you're still wary of the vitamix. I believe it's made by BlendTec.

Also, I had a blender before (oster, I think) and it choked on frozen stuff, couldn't handle flaxseeds, strawberry seeds, peach peels, etc. It was just a pain to get everything to blend and not get stuck in chunky form. I would never have been able to throw a whole head of romaine in a smoothie and have it come out with such a smooth texture. But, $300 is a lot. My parents bought my Vitamix or I'd still probably be smoothie-less at my house.

It is NOT a necessity to start this diet. You can absolutely eat whole plant foods without a great blender, so don't let that get in the way of getting started!

-Anne
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    ...if you're still wary of the vitamix.
    I'm not wary of it :D It's expensive, though! But I'm glad you took the rest of my comment the right way - I almost didn't post it because I wasn't sure I could explain myself properly.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 26, 2007
    I don't know who Dr Fuhman is and I don't care. I've had my VitaMix for almost 20 years and it still works as well as the day I first plugged it in. If that isn't a testimony of it's worth I don't know what is.

Way back then, before infomercials and the internet the only people who knew about these machines were health nuts and whole food stores.