Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    I see Silk (soy milk) mentioned throughout and was just wondering about peoples general consumption habits ...

I use soy milk on occasion, mostly at Starbucks to fix my tea. I don't like Silk brand because it is overly sweet to me and at last check it used carrageenan. But thank goodness Starbucks offers ANY type of alternative 'milk' - beggars can't be choosers!

I didn't grow up drinking any type of milk as a beverage, so it's not something I ever really offered my own kids either - I wonder if it's a cultural thing, because nobody where I grew up really consumed it the way I see it consumed now amongs my kids' friends or my friends' kids. A box of Rice Dream can go bad in my refrigerator before we've used 2/3 of it (myself and five kids including four boys ages 5 to 9). My best friend averages 4 gallons of cow milk a week for herself, her husband, her toddler, and her 1st grader (and man, I had no idea how much that stuff cost until I had to pick up a gallon for her a few weeks ago - yeesh!) jointly consuming nearly one gallon per day.

I can't wrap my head around drinking milk just as a beverage, whatever type of milk. The past few months my #4 boy has been asking for milk in a cup, presumably because he has a friend who drinks it that way. I've indulged but I don't want to make it a habit, so was just wondering what habits are in some other homes. How much soy milk do you average per week, and is it primarily as a beverage (straight/smoothie) or as a condiment (cereal/baking)? As a beverage, is it with meals or in between, or when? Why soy milk over rice/hemp/almond/etc - is it the protein?

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    .....Actually vitamix told me they have converters or I can have mine permanetly converted by them or here locally....as for those little cheap as hell plug adapters...I wouldn't trust them to run my blow dryer.....I appreciate the info Mike......Thanks alot.....
    Having vitamix give you a 240 50 motor is one thing, and that's cool if they'll do it (though for how much?). As for the converter they're wrong. The best you'll be able to find is an extremely expensive transformer (we have 3 of them supplied by the US military mwink.gif) that will transform your 240 50 into 120 50 (not 60 like your vitamix needs).

If anyone knows if they sell vita mixes that are 120-240 volts 50/60 hz please let me know. I can start saving up for one. I know they sell 240v ones but I don't know if those will be able to go back to the states and I'm not keen on spending another $10,000 (or whatever) on a vitamix in 3 years.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    I see Silk (soy milk) mentioned throughout and was just wondering about peoples general consumption habits ...

I use soy milk on occasion, mostly at Starbucks to fix my tea. I don't like Silk brand because it is overly sweet to me and at last check it used carrageenan. But thank goodness Starbucks offers ANY type of alternative 'milk' - beggars can't be choosers!

I didn't grow up drinking any type of milk as a beverage, so it's not something I ever really offered my own kids either - I wonder if it's a cultural thing, because nobody where I grew up really consumed it the way I see it consumed now amongs my kids' friends or my friends' kids. A box of Rice Dream can go bad in my refrigerator before we've used 2/3 of it (myself and five kids including four boys ages 5 to 9). My best friend averages 4 gallons of cow milk a week for herself, her husband, her toddler, and her 1st grader (and man, I had no idea how much that stuff cost until I had to pick up a gallon for her a few weeks ago - yeesh!) jointly consuming nearly one gallon per day.

I can't wrap my head around drinking milk just as a beverage, whatever type of milk. The past few months my #4 boy has been asking for milk in a cup, presumably because he has a friend who drinks it that way. I've indulged but I don't want to make it a habit, so was just wondering what habits are in some other homes. How much soy milk do you average per week, and is it primarily as a beverage (straight/smoothie) or as a condiment (cereal/baking)? As a beverage, is it with meals or in between, or when? Why soy milk over rice/hemp/almond/etc - is it the protein?

I think it's a generational and cultural thing. My father couldn't live without his whole milk. And strawberries and cream. And "half & half" on his cold cereal. And funny thing, at 77 years old, no blood pressure or cholesterol problems.

I've used mostly skim milk much of my life of 51 years. Sometimes I might drink a glass of cold milk but rarely. Other beverages would appeal more to me when thirsty.

So now I'm sticking to the diet/lifestyle change. And I purchased my first soy milk. Tastes just fine on my oatmeal in the morning. I purchased the Silk Plain. I'll probably go for the light version next time. Unsweetened scares me a little - according to the Silk website you get: "that wonderful, natural soy flavor". Hmmm

Why Silk brand and why soy milk? No Whole Foods or Trader Joe's within 70 miles of Lancaster, PA. There is a little whole foods store called Rhubarb's, but with no capatalistic business competition in the area, their prices are high. My local Giant, or Weis grocery stores can barely handle carrying the Silk brand of soy milk - let alone rice or almond milk!

I have a Costco but I checked and they only have the vanilla version of soy milk.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Having vitamix give you a 240 50 motor is one thing, and that's cool if they'll do it (though for how much?). As for the converter they're wrong. The best you'll be able to find is an extremely expensive transformer (we have 3 of them supplied by the US military mwink.gif) that will transform your 240 50 into 120 50 (not 60 like your vitamix needs).

If anyone knows if they sell vita mixes that are 120-240 volts 50/60 hz please let me know. I can start saving up for one. I know they sell 240v ones but I don't know if those will be able to go back to the states and I'm not keen on spending another $10,000 (or whatever) on a vitamix in 3 years.

Im not following this mike. 56 214 blenders in the 254 shops nearby & you are wanting one that is a diff voltage & freq headscratch.gif

anyway...its not the voltage thats going to be the problem (lots of products now are dual voltage) but its the freq that will give you the grief. Diff freq means diff speed.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Im not following this mike. 56 214 blenders in the 254 shops nearby & you are wanting one that is a diff voltage & freq headscratch.gif

anyway...its not the voltage thats going to be the problem (lots of products now are dual voltage) but its the freq that will give you the grief. Diff freq means diff speed.
    nah, I'm not going to buy it unless it is dual voltage and dual freq. Honestly, I wouldn't buy any expensive electronic items like that unless they were dual volt/freq since I'll be going back to the land of 120/60 sooner or later.

I'm intrigued by the vitamix. I've gone through my share of crappy blenders. deal.gif

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    stirfry wrote:

We used to drink a lot of milk when I was a kid. Then as an adult with kids, we continued but switched first to 2%, then to skim. Now we hardly drink any. It wasn't a conscious decision though. Just happened. Now my youngest, 16 yr old, is a vegetarian so we've been buying some Silk for him. I haven't tried it myself yet though.
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    stirfry wrote:

Silk does have carrageenan in it, but the "unsweetened" silk is no sweeter than any other "unsweetened" soy milk. I prefer soy because it comes with fiber and protein, whereas my understanding of rice milk is that it might come from brown rice, but none of the "brown" gets through (hence, no fiber). I don't eat white rice (whole, brown rice for me), so I don't drink rice milk. Ditto for almond milk, I'm just not sure what (if any) nutrition comes through. Oat milk is naturally super sweet. I'm not sure why that is, but I think it tastes pretty gross. I don't get "light" soy milk, because it doesn't come in "unsweetened".

For my husband and I, we were never big milk drinkers. Just milk on the cereal in the morning and some milk in waffles and baked goods. We just substitute unsweetened soy for all that stuff, now. Even buttermilk, just soymilk with some lemon juice or vinegar. Yum, yum! :D

In case you're interested, here's the nutritional shake-down (from Silk's website):

unsweetened: 80 cal per cup, 35 cal from fat, 7 g protein, 1 g sugar, 1 g fiber.

plain: 100 cal per cup, 35 cal from fat, 7 g protein, 6 g sugar, 1 g fiber

light plain: 70 cal per cup, 20 cal from fat, 6 g protein, 6 g sugar, 1 g fiber

vanilla: 100 cal per cup, 30 cal from fat, 6 g protein, 7 g sugar, 1 g fiber

One more, from my Trader Joe's unsweetened soy milk:
    90 cal per cup, 40 from fat, 9 g protein, 2 g sugar, 2 g fiber

To me, that says TJ's has more soybean and less water.

My general theory is the less fooled around with, the better. So Silk now has "Silk plus fiber" and "Silk plus Omega-3 DHA". There's nothing wrong with fiber or Omega-3s, but I'd rather improve my diet so I get them from places they belong (flax, leafy greens, etc.) .

For kicks, here's Rice Dream's original rice milk (from their website):
    120 cal per cup, 20 from fat, 1 g protein, 11 sugar, 0 g fiber

My undertanding of hemp milk is that they shell the seed, add brown rice syrup (or other sweetener) and vitamins. Here are the facts I found from Living Harvest's website:
    130 cal per cup, 30 cal from fat, 4 g protein, 15 g sugar, 1 g fiber

Even though I broke things down how the USDA does, by the nutrients deemed "important" and required to be on the label, I really think you can't go wrong if you eat a variety of whole plant foods. Consequently, I don't keep track of my fiber intake, calorie intake, fat intake, or protein intake. I keep things simple and just eat as many whole plant foods as I care to eat. I avoid added sugars like the plague, because they mess around with my tastebuds, and I try to stick with less processed foods.

-Anne
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    I've heard William C. Roberts, who's the editor of the American Journal of Cardiology and the medical director of the Baylor Heart and Vascular Institute, say that meat is so hard on humans because we have the characteristics of herbivores.

Here are some of the arguments (he has a lot more):

http://www.goveg.com/naturalhumandiet_physiology.asp
    I take that sort of claim under advisement.

Last week I was watching a documentary on the development of homo sapiens. There's active speculation that a primary reason for the success of our species is the protein we got from eating meat.

Nowadays we can get protein in other ways, of course. But I'm not yet willing to accept claims that we aren't built to eat meat.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 26, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    There is another high-powered blender on the market ...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0m4x0y3QNw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0m4x0y3QNw&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Tastes like chicken.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Last week I was watching a documentary on the development of homo sapiens. There's active speculation that a primary reason for the success of our species is the protein we got from eating meat.
    I've heard that many times, especially as an earth science student taking classes in Paleontology. It's an interesting debate with lots of interesting variables like chimps hunt but gorillas don't.

The way I usually see the debate settle is you'd better survive next winter if you're gonna have kids. If it takes downing whale blubber, any calorie in a famine. But since your stomach has the pH of an herbivore, better cook your meat, dude.

However the debate shakes out, the meat they ate then is a whole lot different than the meat we eat now. And my understanding is dairy only came onto the scene in the last few thousand years, and along with it came plenty of heart disease and cancer, no?
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    This smoothie tastes like Apple.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 26, 2007
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    That's hilarious!rolleyes1.gif
    And, they may come in different voltages, maybe 50Hz as well.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    the meat they ate then is a whole lot different than the meat we eat now.

How would that be ? Are you talking about antibiotics & growth hormones ?
    Baldy wrote:

And my understanding is dairy only came onto the scene in the last few thousand years, and along with it came plenty of heart disease and cancer, no?

No...

....well yes if it could be held up with some evidence.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    I've heard that many times, especially as an earth science student taking classes in Paleontology. It's an interesting debate with lots of interesting variables like chimps hunt but gorillas don't.

The way I usually see the debate settle is you'd better survive next winter if you're gonna have kids. If it takes downing whale blubber, any calorie in a famine. But since your stomach has the pH of an herbivore, better cook your meat, dude.

However the debate shakes out, the meat they ate then is a whole lot different than the meat we eat now. And my understanding is dairy only came onto the scene in the last few thousand years, and along with it came plenty of heart disease and cancer, no?

I imagine you're right about heart disease. I do wonder about cancer, though.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I imagine you're right about heart disease. I do wonder about cancer, though.
    Remember mate ...there are no early human bones of old people. 40 was considered one foot in the grave. We have never lived so well & that cannot be put down to medicine alone as we all know a lot of people in their 80' & 90's that are not on medications & are fit & healthy for their age. Most of my family die in their 90's of old age & a lot of them grew up eating bread & dripping.

We dont have the stomachs of a herbivour nor the teeth of a carnivour. Im a firm believer we are omnivours. (anyone feel free to correct my spelling)
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Superfoods
    More superfoods to eat (or blend).
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    More superfoods to eat (or blend).
    Hmm, I didn't know about pumpkin. The others seemed pretty obvious candidates. How does everyone here feel about the fish?

I'm still just getting started on the book Eat To Live. Trying to start a little at a time. Like changing breakfast over to something a little better than McDonald's bacon egg and cheese bagel meal! This morning I made Bob's Red Mill farina hot cereal and threw some raisins in. Filled me up and tasted great.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    Deep into the China Study now! (thanks Baldy)

So I'm to Part II the Obesity chapter. It seems counter-intuitive to me that by eating a whole foods, plant-based diet that is quite a bit higher in calories than the typical Western diet will result in a person becoming thinner. headscratch.gif

I'm slowly learning that I've got to let go of all my many pre-conceived notions. It would seem that your body does different things with calories depending on their source. Here's my postulation which probably doesn't hold water :D

Humans are built to eat plants but evolved in areas of the world where plants are sometimes difficult to come by. So we evolved a means of processing the flesh of animals. My guess is that eating flesh was something that early hominids (I'm talking mostly about our early ancestors from millions of years ago, not hunter-gatherers or even cave men) did only when there wasn't much else to eat. That would explain why we store animal products as fat which would sustain us through the thin times until the good foods came back.

I'm open to the criticism of any paleo-nutritionists in the room.

Anyhow, I'm already on Amazon ordering The China Study and Eat to Live for my mom and dad. I'm wondering how much different my grandfather's life would have been had he eaten properly throughout his life. He was a typical mid-west eater. Bacon, eggs, and burnt toast (!) and a couple pots of coffee for breakfast every day for decades. Plenty of Gaga's awesome cooking for dinner, meat & cheese sandwiches on white bread for lunch with a generous helping of various delicious sweets now and again. I'm watching my dad go down the same path though maybe a bit moreso. My mom has eaten mostly vegetarian since I left home and she initially got down to a perfectly healthy weight. Then she lost her way with food and is now having more health problems. I'm more like my mom, I ate poorly as a kid, found a better way in college, went downhill after that, followed a strict usda food guide pyramid diet (the old one) and my cholesterol was down to 144 and I was the fittest I'd been ever, then lost my way during my various deployments to the desert and am staring at my cholesterol report that says 200.

I'm changing for me and these two:

133516166-L.jpg

I'm excited to see how my son's life goes. He mostly gets a vegetarian diet now. I'm going to eliminate cheese and meat from his diet. He's at the perfect age as he eats absolutely everything and isn't attached to anything (except bananas - OMG he loves bananas!)

So a massive thanks to Baldy. I've been tearing through The China Study and I'm absolutely astounded on every page. The opposition Campbell talks about is rampant in society, I've seen it all over this very thread. Folks are basing their opinions on completely wrong un-factual information. So was I, but not anymore. mwink.gif

• Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    I've got to say that I was already at the point of being ready for a change - any change. I'm sick of being overweight but more than that I'm sick of never feeling "well". How can I get out and enjoy doing things (anything) when I don't feel well - instead I just want to plow my fat arse into the arse-groove I've carved into my favorite chair.

When I saw this thread everything I had been told along with my preconceived notions of course made me want to blow it off. I'm a life-long meat eater - I love it on so many levels (cooking it, smelling it, eating it, etc.). How the hell would I be able to swear off such an "important" part of my consumption? Luckily being "ready" I decided to read the books mentioned here and see what they have to say.

I finished "Eat to Live" last week and am a good way into "The China Study". I must say the reading has fascinated me thus far. The scary part is that I'm easily convinced if presented with a good argument that makes sense to me. I was convinced when I read Atkins' book several years ago. It sounded great at the time right? Eat all you want of meat, cheese, & eggs that you love and lose weight - what's not to like? Still, looking back on that book I realize that he never presented any studies or data on what really happens, why, and how it could possibly be healthy. On the opposite of the coin Fuhrman floods his book with an almost overload (for the average reader) of references to studies.

I think I will make the switch. I know I need to do something. I don't think it'll work unless my wife is on board also. I've already been talking to her about it. I just need to convince her to take the time to read the book.deal.gif

Andy, Baldy, others - thanks for sharing your experience. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    In 3 weeks I've lost 13 lbs. and feel great.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2007
    Great stuff, Mike. :D It's an amazing book. As for how different it might have been for your grandfather, Healthy at 100 is a great book.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    WOW!! JT has lost 35-40 and feels great in I'm not sure how long. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    WOW!! JT has lost 35-40 and feels great in I'm not sure how long. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I'd be interested to know how long. ear.gif

The total I want to lose is 40lbs. Everyone says it'll be too thin, but I think I'll be just fine. :D It works for Iggy Pop and Mick Jagger!!!! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 6, 2007
    I joined the crew here on the modified vegan plan before the trip to Utah with Mark's crew.

Without being hungry or doing without - even eating more than I should at times - I have dropped 13 pounds - and that is a weight I have not previously seen in a number of years. I have never been successful dieting.

I eat essentially no meat that I can identify, almost no cheese. I do eat a little yogurt now and then. Corn, tomatoes, whole wheat bread or a little whole wheat pasta, almost no potatoes, no fried or grilled food stuffs, lots of raw fruits and vegetables. I am lucky as I love broccoli and cauliflower and brussel sprouts.

I miss meat far, far less than I would have thought.

I did not begin this with a great commitment, but have just kind of drifted into it. I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast for a long time, because I do not get hungry all morning with that as a starter.

I am a person who for decades never ate breakfast at all, and then ate a large lunch. Now, I eat a veggie wrap for lunch and am full all after noon.

I find it hard to give up all dairy products, but have used skim milk only for years.

In addition to weight loss, my lipids are down over 60% -

Thanks Andy, and Baldy. You guys do great things.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 6, 2007
    as long as everyone is in the mood for reading food books I highly recommend "Diet For A New America" by John Robbins.

The studies and revelations regarding industrialized and institutionalized farming and food production in the USA will only bolster what you've been learning of late. And this book was first published some 20 years ago.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Straight Vegan? Or are you doing some meat and/or dairy? I have to get on a scale but I am over 25 lbs and 4 inches around the waist gone since about the middle of June. More to go though.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Straight Vegan? Or are you doing some meat and/or dairy? I have to get on a scale but I am over 25 lbs and 4 inches around the waist gone since about the middle of June. More to go though.

Straight vegan, except for my vitamin D3.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Great thread. My wife and I have moved away from meat pretty steadily over the years, especially from the nasty factory farmed meats that clog the grocery stores. In this part of the country it's very easy to find good food. I don't drink milk (flatulence cured me), and we never have sweetened drinks in the house except for the occasional guest or party. As we get older and wiser, we're naturally moving more and more towards the diet that Baldy and friends follow.

But there's one problem: sugar. Or rather, my apparent need for it.

I have this bad habit of getting on a bicycle and knocking off a bunch of miles. While I'm no Iron Man like baldy, the need for raw, fast to digest calories when you're at mile 75 of 100 is undeniable. For most riders this means sugar in one form or another. One friend gobbles honey packets. Another loves Cliff Shot Bloks. Me? I love Trader Joe's Strawberry licorice. In to this we And then there are those luscious sport drinks full of sugars (and salts). When you're burning sometimes well over 8,000 calories in a day, I have a hard time imagining doing it without sweet blissful sugar.

Obviously it can be done.

ear.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 7, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Remember mate ...there are no early human bones of old people. 40 was considered one foot in the grave. We have never lived so well & that cannot be put down to medicine alone as we all know a lot of people in their 80' & 90's that are not on medications & are fit & healthy for their age. Most of my family die in their 90's of old age & a lot of them grew up eating bread & dripping.

this article turned up today and might be an interesting read to most:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/science/07indu.html?_r=1&8dpc&oref=slogin