Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    this article turned up today and might be an interesting read to most:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/science/07indu.html?_r=1&8dpc&oref=slogin

Wow ... wow ... wow ... what an interesting article. Angelo you have no idea how interesting this article is to me and a project/voyage I may soon be undertaking. I will be reading Clark's book. Thanks for the heads-up ... man ... Dgrin is such a great place :)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 7, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    as long as everyone is in the mood for reading food books I highly recommend "Diet For A New America" by John Robbins.

The studies and revelations regarding industrialized and institutionalized farming and food production in the USA will only bolster what you've been learning of late. And this book was first published some 20 years ago.

thumb.gif
    John Robbins is fabulous. He was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize for that book, and I wish he'd won it. At 60 he looks the model of health.

It's amazing how much meat production has changed in the last 30 years. They get calves to slaughter much faster now by feeding them a high-calorie mix containing rendered animal parts from pigs, horses, chickens, fish, beef tallow, euthanized cats and dogs.

We used to think they were herbivores, but we've shown you can make them a lot bigger faster with animal fat & protein, just like you can with humans.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    So I had to go to Costco today (prints to pick up - its that cross border thing) and I came away with
    Raspberries
    Pears
    Grapes x2
    Organic mixed greens
    Broccoli salad (amazing how much more apatizing shredded brocolli is cf whole)
    pita
    whole grain pita
    hummous
    fresh salsa
    fresh mango salsa
    dried fruit
    cashews
    pistachios
    rice tortilla chips
    12 grain bread
    panini bread

and a box of chips ahoy and white bread as a token to the kids.....

But trust me when I say that this is way less processed stuff than usual. Been making a real point to mind what we all eat, what I eat in particular. I had brocolli at lunch and dinner today - I don't like brocolli, but n both meals it was delicious). I am not really vegan at this point (trying to maintain meat at less than 10% of calories instead - my hubby is the cook and he doesn't quite buy into the vegan program - and he is a mighty fine cook), and haven't lost weight quite like the others, but have dropped 10 lb and at least an inch from my waist in the last few weeks.

Oh, and I bought a granny bike....

ann
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    It's amazing how much meat production has changed in the last 30 years. They get calves to slaughter much faster now by feeding them a high-calorie mix containing rendered animal parts from pigs, horses, chickens, fish, beef tallow, euthanized cats and dogs.

:nono Not here they dont. And yes i used to work in the feed lot industry. Honestly...they feed your dead cats & dogs to cattle ?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Now that I'm working on a china study diet, I've been researching for veg/vegan sites on the net. I found one that looks really good. http://veganyumyum.com/

Some of the stuff in that looks like it'd be sooooo tasty.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Now that I'm working on a china study diet, I've been researching for veg/vegan sites on the net. I found one that looks really good. http://veganyumyum.com/

Some of the stuff in that looks like it'd be sooooo tasty.
    That site looks great! thumb.gif Several of the recipes I clicked on had a bunch of sugar in them, but it should be easy to substitute that out - can't wait to try some of those great looking recipes!

You know, since the site has pretty good photos of food on it, they really should be convinced to drop Flikr and switch to the Good Guys! mwink.gif
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Honestly...they feed your dead cats & dogs to cattle ?

They do. And also to other (living) pets via processed mass-marketed pet foods.

Amazing, isn't it eek7.gif. My dogs have always been vegan :D my cats have been fed freshly prepared flesh as needed, though I have a few friends who have raised vegan cats on carefully planned diets. I have neither the time nor interest to dedicate to that for cats, whom I believe should have access flesh.
  • Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    They do. And also to other (living) pets via processed mass-marketed pet foods.

You or Baldy or whomever, of course, has some documentation to back up this claim? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    knary wrote:
    You or Baldy or whomever, of course, has some documentation to back up this claim? ear.gif

I have it somewhere; I researched it in school :D but the documentation is dry (academic) and buried in a box somewhere in my attic. I'm sure there is layman documentation on the internet, though, and maybe others can chime in with it.

Speaking specifically to pets being fed to pets, we can look at documentation of the rising numbers of spongiform encephalopathy -- the most widely recognized forms being Sheep ("Scrapie") and Bovine ("Mad Cow Disease"). These diseases are caused by PRIONS, which differ from viruses and bacterias. Prions cannot be destroyed, they are like the cockroaches of biology lol.

Infected sheep and cattle are obviously rendered, and the rendering process typically kills disease caused by a virus or a bacteria - this makes most rendered meat reusable (in practice, if not in ethics) for consumption by other animals. It's a business model - use what you already have and are already vested in. Or sell it to someone who will. Your pet isn't getting food fit for human consumption, that would be bad business sense for the manufacturers! Prions survive the rendering process and any further processes that prepare a given flesh for consumption downline by other animals. Rather than destroy the flesh of a downed animal, most businesses follow the above model and find a buyer for it. Food unfit for human consumption would naturally then be offered to the underregulated arean of food fit for "everything else" including animal consumption.

Until recently the true nature of prions wasn't known; in fact, we're still learning so much about them. But knowing what we know of the business models of the involved industries .... and putting together the puzzle of what we're learning about prions (from BSE, Scrapie, unexplained downers - both ag and pet, and even instances of CJD in known cannabilistic societies) along with what we're learning about how the disease spreads, .... the spread of spongiform encephalopathy sufficiently proves that rendered animals are being fed to other animals.

I wish I had more than that, something concrete for you to look at but regretfully I do not. I worry that I may have oversimplified it to make it easier to read. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    The first ingredient in fish food is always "fish meal". Whether your feeding an herbivore or not. It amazes me that goldfish food uses it, being that goldfish are herbivores. ne_nau.gif

I know this isn't exactly what your looking for, but it's easily proved since you can pick up a can at the grocery store and look at it.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    I have it somewhere; I researched it in school :D but the documentation is dry (academic) and buried in a box somewhere in my attic. I'm sure there is layman documentation on the internet, though, and maybe others can chime in with it.

Speaking specifically to pets being fed to pets, we can look at documentation of the rising numbers of spongiform encephalopathy -- the most widely recognized forms being Sheep ("Scrapie") and Bovine ("Mad Cow Disease"). These diseases are caused by PRIONS, which differ from viruses and bacterias. Prions cannot be destroyed, they are like the cockroaches of biology lol.

Infected sheep and cattle are obviously rendered, and the rendering process typically kills disease caused by a virus or a bacteria - this makes most rendered meat reusable (in practice, if not in ethics) for consumption by other animals. It's a business model - use what you already have and are already vested in. Or sell it to someone who will. Your pet isn't getting food fit for human consumption, that would be bad business sense for the manufacturers! Prions survive the rendering process and any further processes that prepare a given flesh for consumption downline by other animals. Rather than destroy the flesh of a downed animal, most businesses follow the above model and find a buyer for it. Food unfit for human consumption would naturally then be offered to the underregulated arean of food fit for "everything else" including animal consumption.

Until recently the true nature of prions wasn't known; in fact, we're still learning so much about them. But knowing what we know of the business models of the involved industries .... and putting together the puzzle of what we're learning about prions (from BSE, Scrapie, unexplained downers - both ag and pet, and even instances of CJD in known cannabilistic societies) along with what we're learning about how the disease spreads, .... the spread of spongiform encephalopathy sufficiently proves that rendered animals are being fed to other animals.

I wish I had more than that, something concrete for you to look at but regretfully I do not. I worry that I may have oversimplified it to make it easier to read. headscratch.gif

I know that livestock is being fed to livestock -gag- and I understand the risks for all of us. But I'd never heard or read of pets being fed to livestock. I have a hard time imagining how they would even enter the feed supply. It sounds more like a specific incident or two being reported for sensational impact than a common practice in industrial farming.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    HiSPL wrote:
    The first ingredient in fish food is always "fish meal". Whether your feeding an herbivore or not. It amazes me that goldfish food uses it, being that goldfish are herbivores. ne_nau.gif

I know this isn't exactly what your looking for, but it's easily proved since you can pick up a can at the grocery store and look at it.

Just so we're clear, my question was specific to the claim that dogs and cats are being fed to livestock.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    knary wrote:
    I have a hard time imagining how they would even enter the feed supply. It sounds more like a specific incident or two being reported for sensational impact than a common practice in industrial farming.

I'm not sure why it is such a stretch to believe ne_nau.gif the industries are more similar than dissimilar ... the bottom line is always about money.

I can assure you that my studies would have been much more exciting with sensationalized reports peppered amongst the dry academic studies, but unfortunately the journals I had to read were lacking in that regard Laughing.gif. FWIW the journals differed greatly from what was commonly reported in the media. The media definitely sensationalizes, no denying that.

Big business consistently abuses and mistreats animals, whether for food or cosmetics or any other host of reasons. Anyone can justify this to fit his or her own respective needs (including photographers who could never be wholly vegan!) -- but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of animals continue to be disrespected as 'things', even in death.

Call a local vet. Ask them where the remains of euthanized pets go. Follow the chain, learn for yourself mwink.gif.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    knary wrote:
    I know that livestock is being fed to livestock

This practice nearly killed the meat industry in Ireland after an outbreak of mad cow disease in 1996. The outbreak was blamed on the feed the livestock received.

It's hard to believe it is still happening in the USheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    I'm not sure why it is such a stretch to believe ne_nau.gif the industries are more similar than dissimilar ... the bottom line is always about money.

I can assure you that my studies would have been much more exciting with sensationalized reports peppered amongst the dry academic studies, but unfortunately the journals I had to read were lacking in that regard Laughing.gif. FWIW the journals differed greatly from what was commonly reported in the media. The media definitely sensationalizes, no denying that.

Big business consistently abuses and mistreats animals, whether for food or cosmetics or any other host of reasons. Anyone can justify this to fit his or her own respective needs (including photographers who could never be wholly vegan!) -- but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of animals continue to be disrespected as 'things', even in death.

Call a local vet. Ask them where the remains of euthanized pets go. Follow the chain, learn for yourself mwink.gif.

Which industries are similar?
    Factory farming and ?

Perhaps I'm morbid, but the topic of animal disposal came up with a few vet friends. One vet uses a cremation service (more like incineration since there's no attempt to collect ashes to give to former owner). Another uses a composting service.

As to the moral questions regarding how we treat animals, that is, IMHO, a somewhat separate question that is perhaps not appropriate for this thread.
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Where do the thousands of dogs and cats that are euthanised at anomal shelters go to?

I realize that your question was in regard to dogs and cats, but fish are pets too!:fish

BTW, there is a rendering plant in Nashville that is close to downtown. It stinks something awful!:puke1
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    knary wrote:
    Which industries are similar?
    Factory farming and ?

Perhaps I'm morbid, but the topic of animal disposal came up with a few vet friends. One vet uses a cremation service (more like incineration since there's no attempt to collect ashes to give to former owner). Another uses a composting service.

As to the moral questions regarding how we treat animals, that is, IMHO, a somewhat separate question that is perhaps not appropriate for this thread.

I figured a natural drift had occured, beginning with your initial post taking the thread from one of feeding ourselves to the feeding of animals but .. point taken. In hindsight I can see where my subsequent posts drifted perhaps too far beyond the focus of the thread. Livestock eventually becomes human food; pets are a separate issue, indeed.

Without trying to harp on the morality issue, all I can say is that perhaps if more vets were as socially responsible or aware as those few you've posed the question to (or the companies they outsource to truly and duly represented as what they are and held accountable) the feeding of pets to other animals wouldn't be a topic of conversation at all. iloveyou.gif

I've answered your initial question to the best of my current energies. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a more satisfactory one. :D I do apologize if my last post seemed overly morally judgemental - FWIW I'm not vegan and have no plans to become one. I point my finger at myself first and foremost for my own contributions to the 'treatment' of animals by the choices I make as a consumer.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Well then, back on track it is! I've been at it 4 weeks today and it's been a real learning experience for me. I haven't missed my usual foods at all and am enjoying all the fruits and veggies! I am just 8 lbs lighter but that's okay by me. I don't mind slow and steady losses. I certainly plan to keep going.deal.gif

Over the weekend I was on a long trip and attended a few family functions - there wasn't much on the menus that fit my new way of eating so I had to go along with what was available. I didn't want to make a fuss, and I certainly didn't want to appear holier-than-thou or anything. My biggest fear was that tasting a cheeseburger would make me start craving meat or cheese or whatever, but actually it didn't happen. In fact, quite the opposite. While it wasn't disgusting, it didn't really taste all that good either. So that's a plus, my tastes are changing and I'm getting healthier to boot!

The website Mike linked above is really great and I'm looking forward to trying a bunch of those recipes. I think that lack of recipes is one of the things that I need to fix so that this doesn't get old.

All in all (even with a few tangents thrown in here and there) this thread has been a gold mine of information and support. Dgrin is such a cool community! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Im still not clear...does the USA feed dead cats & dogs to cattle ?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Im still not clear...does the USA feed dead cats & dogs to cattle ?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-06-09-beef-cover_x.htm
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I had a quick look over that...i see where they talk about out of date cat & dog food but not the animals themselves. Am i reading this this correctly ?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I had a quick look over that...i see where they talk about out of date cat & dog food but not the animals themselves. Am i reading this this correctly ?

Yes. That article doesn't say they feed dogs and cats to cattle. What they do say are fed to cattle is gross. But no mention of Fido or Tabby.

Not to say it disproves the pet thing. It's just what I found.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environment/sustainable_food/they-eat-what.html

In this article they say they're fed "diseased animals". Could be pets. Or not. Either way, when I do eat meat, I'll be buying grass fed.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    knary wrote:
    Just so we're clear, my question was specific to the claim that dogs and cats are being fed to livestock.
    Hey Knary,

Nice to see you here! Sorry I didn't check this thread for awhile.

From CNN and US News & World Report: "40 billion pounds a year of slaughterhouse wastes like blood, bone, and viscera, as well as the remains of millions of euthanized cats and dogs passed along by veterinarians and animal shelters, are rendered annually into livestock feed."

There was a feed ban instituted in 1997 that was motivated by mad cow disease. The main risk was cattle ingesting cattle protein, so protein from other species wasn't banned. They've been trying to close the chicken manure loophole (chicken manure is really good at fattening cows) because chickens can be fed rendered cattle, and some gets spilled into the manure, raising the risk of mad cow.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    knary wrote:
    I have this bad habit of getting on a bicycle and knocking off a bunch of miles...the need for raw, fast to digest calories when you're at mile 75 of 100 is undeniable.
    Hey Knary,

This is a big problem for me and getting bigger.

My original thought was, "who cares about sugar during a crazy workout? You need fast-digesting stuff." But in training I fill my bottles with stuff like Odwalla blackberry shakes, I stick whole wheat bread and bananas in my jersey pockets, etc.

My problem is I'm losing my tolerance for a day of engineered foods like Gatorade and gels because I don't use them in training. So during the Comrades Marathon in Africa (56 miles) I was bonking badly because I couldn't get the stuff down. Happened again at the Death Ride.

Scott Jurek is the most dominant athlete in any sport right now, a vegan ultrarunner who just beat the second-best guy by almost three hours at the Leadville 100. He eats whole wheat pitas stuffed with hummus that his wife provides at the aid stations.

If I could get my hands on burritos or hummus and whole wheat, I'd wolf it down. But the thought of more engineered junk food makes me gag.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environment/sustainable_food/they-eat-what.html

In this article they say they're fed "diseased animals". Could be pets. Or not. Either way, when I do eat meat, I'll be buying grass fed.
    Thats cool...so the USA does not feed cats & dogs to cows.

You see my cat wants to travel there & i asked him to wait until i cleared some things up first.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey Knary,

Nice to see you here! Sorry I didn't check this thread for awhile.

From CNN and US News & World Report: "40 billion pounds a year of slaughterhouse wastes like blood, bone, and viscera, as well as the remains of millions of euthanized cats and dogs passed along by veterinarians and animal shelters, are rendered annually into livestock feed."

There was a feed ban instituted in 1997 that was motivated by mad cow disease. The main risk was cattle ingesting cattle protein, so protein from other species wasn't banned. They've been trying to close the chicken manure loophole (chicken manure is really good at fattening cows) because chickens can be fed rendered cattle, and some gets spilled into the manure, raising the risk of mad cow.

wave.gif
    Thanks, Baldy.
    I wish I spent more time here, but then I'd be camera shopping and I just can't have that these days (though I did discover the best way to get the dust off the sensor of a Casio P&S is to bounce it down the road at 45 mph :D).

Thank you for that link. It is nothing short of disturbing. :cry

While you and I are not about to share the exact same diet, that people are willingly ignoring the well known industrial farming practices boggles my mind. My wife and I are, as mentioned previously, fortunate to live in a community where believing in locally and sustainably raised foods is the almost the norm. We live a mile from a local grocery chain where most of the meat sold is grass-fed meat that isn't "finished". Friends from back east visit and scoff at the organic this, the hormone free that. And then they eat some of our food and are amazed at the taste. Did you know that chicken shouldn't be gray and watery?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey Knary,

This is a big problem for me and getting bigger.

My original thought was, "who cares about sugar during a crazy workout? You need fast-digesting stuff." But in training I fill my bottles with stuff like Odwalla blackberry shakes, I stick whole wheat bread and bananas in my jersey pockets, etc.

My problem is I'm losing my tolerance for a day of engineered foods like Gatorade and gels because I don't use them in training. So during the Comrades Marathon in Africa (56 miles) I was bonking badly because I couldn't get the stuff down. Happened again at the Death Ride.

Scott Jurek is the most dominant athlete in any sport right now, a vegan ultrarunner who just beat the second-best guy by almost three hours at the Leadville 100. He eats whole wheat pitas stuffed with hummus that his wife provides at the aid stations.

If I could get my hands on burritos or hummus and whole wheat, I'd wolf it down. But the thought of more engineered junk food makes me gag.

thumb.gif

Thanks again. I don't do anything close to as hard as what you're involved in but the lessors are the same. As I help another group of people prepare for their first century (did some nice hill climbing tonight), one of the things I keep telling them is to find the food that works for them and to do whatever it takes to make sure they have it during the big ride. One century last year I didn't make sure i had my usual foods. All they offered were gummi bears, power bars, and bagels. I couldn't stomach any of them and hit the wall hard at mile 80.

The primary problems, for me, boil down to:

1. Convenience
    2. Nutrition
    3. Edibility
    4. Availability

It needs to be something I can get and store easily. It needs to be able to travel with me on the bike to some extent or another. I need it to provide the appropriate fuel and nutrition for the effort. I need to be able to eat it while moving. Almost most of all, I need to want to eat it.

Add in the desire to avoid processed foods and it gets harder.

Fig bars, soy/wheat pretzels, peanuts (salty!), bananas and licorice (me and my sugar) are my usual riding food. I don't bring it all on a single ride, but usually mix it up depending on the plan for the day and what I'm in the mood for. I do, I must admit, drink Gatorade. I can't stomach plain water and haven't found anything else that I like to drink a lot of.

I'm going to try to get through the next ride without hitting the raw sugar.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2007
    p.s. I am surprised at how much crap food is offered at the food stations. Considering where we live, the progressive hippy dippy west coast, one would think that they would offer more "wholesome" alternatives.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Okay question time again.

I need salad ideas. Here's the scoop, I'm allergic to salads without dressing. Okay not literally allergic, it's just that it would appear that my ranch dressing habit is going to be tough to break. So help me jump into this pool please! Help me make a salad that I don't have to choke down.

Okay and another baby question. As has been mentioned in here the one thing that Vegans can't get so much of is B12. So if the baby isn't eating any animal products, how do they get their B12? I can't give him a vitamin, he'll choke. Do I give him the occassional bit of meat until he's old enough for vitamins? Is there a liquid supplement or something?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/