Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    TGrossieTGrossie Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    BusinessCard5.jpg
    I was going to use this one below but my boys got mad, lol.
    BusinessCard4.jpg
    I guess you guys are still looking at this thread? Who knows, but I thought I would share.
  • Options
    lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    My card? any comments?
    This is my new card... i think. I am going to send it off to the printers tomorrow. wanted some opinions if you had the time. thanks:D
    111980878-L.jpg

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    This is my new card... i think. I am going to send it off to the printers tomorrow. wanted some opinions if you had the time. thanks:D
    111980878-Ti.jpg

I like it. Try centering the picture, and then moving Life's Disciple so that it's left justified with the picture.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006

I like it. I hope it looks as good when in business card size (I hope the images aren't too small).

If you have your own domain, I would suggest getting an e-mail address for it. me@lifesdisciple.com, or michael@lifesdisciple.com.

Very nice design, though.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I like it. Try centering the picture, and then moving Life's Disciple so that it's left justified with the picture.

like this? think this looks better or the other way?
    111987045-L.jpg

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    like this? think this looks better or the other way?

I like it that way. See what others think. I'd bring the apostrophe down a bit...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I like it that way. See what others think. I'd bring the apostrophe down a bit...

how's that?
    111989873-L.jpg

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    I like the new layout, it looks much more balanced.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    how's that?

Nice!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I like it. I hope it looks as good when in business card size (I hope the images aren't too small).

If you have your own domain, I would suggest getting an e-mail address for it. me@lifesdisciple.com, or michael@lifesdisciple.com.

Very nice design, though.

how's this with the new email. i set up a forwarder. this way i don't have to check too many emails. have 3 already.
    111990765-L.jpg

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I second this. I have never figured out why so many businesses that have their own domain name still advertise another company in their e-mail address. ne_nau.gif

Not to mention the fact that you are at the mercy of that other company changing their domain name (it's happened a lot, especially with ISP domains) which results in headaches for you.

By the way, Michael, I like the second design the best.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    how's this with the new email. i set up a forwarder. this way i don't have to check too many emails. have 3 already.

Looks good to me! Though I always prefer e-mail addresses in all lowercase (though the first part is always case insensitive). Just a personal nit, I'm a professional sysadmin.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    ... though the first part is always case insensitive ...

Actually, it's the other way around.

According to RFC 2821 and earlier RFC 821 which 2821 obsoleted, the first part, known as the "local-part" of an e-mail address must be treated as case sensitive. The domain is not case sensitive. In particular, for some hosts the user "smith" is different from the user "Smith". However, exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and is discouraged.

I've been supporting and developing Internet e-mail delivery and routing since 1998 and did encounter a few mail server implementations that were treating the local-part as case sensitive (discovered this because our applications treated the local-part as case-insensitive). We changed our apps to follow the RFC and at this point I'm unaware if there are any mail servers currently in use that make use of the case-sensitivity, however it's still part of the accepted "standard".

I agree that the e-mail address should be printed as all lowercase, *if* your mail server treats the address as case-insensitive.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:

According to RFC 2821 and earlier RFC 821 which 2821 obsoleted, the first part, known as the "local-part" of an e-mail address must be treated as case sensitive. The domain is not case sensitive. In particular, for some hosts the user "smith" is different from the user "Smith". However, exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and is discouraged.

I've been supporting and developing Internet e-mail delivery and routing since 1998 and did encounter a few mail server implementations that were treating the local-part as case sensitive (discovered this because our applications treated the local-part as case-insensitive). We changed our apps to follow the RFC and at this point I'm unaware if there are any mail servers currently in use that make use of the case-sensitivity, however it's still part of the accepted "standard".

I agree that the e-mail address should be printed as all lowercase, *if* your mail server treats the address as case-insensitive.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know any of that. I like having my name in proper in my email address, but, wanted to make sure it didn't effect getting mail. So I sent a test mail to both. The way it is and the way it is but with a lower case m. They both get there. I will add another forwarder to my domain if it allows, with an uppercase M and see what happens. Just to cover my ass. Thanks again.

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    I will add another forwarder to my domain if it allows, with an uppercase M and see what happens. Just to cover my ass. Thanks again.

If you mail server accepts the mail as case-insensitive then you are okay.

Several years ago there was an extremely small percentage of mail servers that used a case-sensitive local-part. Today, I have no idea what the percentage is if any. Mailers (the applications that deliver and route Internet e-mail) are suppose to maintain the case of the local-part as the mail traverses throught their systems, just in case the final destination is case-sensitive. This is all technical details that the general Internet user doesn't really need to be concerned with, but it causes headaches for those of us who write the applications to move your mail from one point to another.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    Yep, my bad.

From RFC 2821:

Therefore, SMTP implementations MUST take care to preserve the case of mailbox local-parts. Mailbox domains are not case sensitive. In particular, for some hosts the user "smith" is different from the user "Smith". However, exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes interoperability and is discouraged.

Thankfully, most implementations don't impede interoperabliity. :D

Now back to your regularly scheduled business card (which I still like).
    Chris
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    My first attempt. I used the same header as my site, advice please :D

119955751-S.jpg
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    My first attempt as well... looking for feedback... My goals are to keep it simple, get the information across... things aren't lined up, and sizes are still a bit undetermined, but this is the basic layout.

front:
    bc_front.jpg

back:
    bc_back.jpg
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    121188697-M.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    In response to both of the latest business cards:

Black looks slick, but I'd contemplate leaving the back white if I were either of you. Why? You can't really jot a quick note on black. I frequently give out cards with a little reminder on the back to help the person remember something in particular, maybe where they met me, a password to a gallery, etc. etc.

Here's my business cards again:

102013201-L.jpg

Printed as a 4x6" print and cut into fourths. (2x3")
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Hi Jim,

Nice first attempt... I think that it is a bit too cluttered as you suggest and there are a few spelling errors that I can see.

I think that there is maybe too much information on the card... That being said, I love the picture that you have choosen. Very nice! :D

Lee

Never did a Biz card before so this is the 1st idea.

Is it too cluttered you think? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Lee Massey wrote:
    Hi Jim,

Nice first attempt... I think that it is a bit too cluttered as you suggest and there are a few spelling errors that I can see.

I think that there is maybe too much information on the card... That being said, I love the picture that you have chosen. Very nice! :D

Lee

Thanx......
    My "signature" pic from my main smugmug galleries.

After making an ass outta myself with my last idea....miss spellings.....clutter and all.umph.gifrolleyes1.gif

Here is my "REVISED" Error proof....simpler version!

This better guys?
    You think it'll be readable at Biz card standard size?

Comments?

121195388-M.jpg

• Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Thanx......

After making an ass outta myself with my last idea....miss spellings.....clutter and all.umph.gifrolleyes1.gif

Here is my "REVISED" Error proof....simpler version!

This better guys?
    You think it'll be readable at Biz card standard size?

Comments?

121195388-Ti.jpg

No, that's poor design. Graphy, do yourself a favor, and get a copy of this book. It's a great primer on basic design concepts. I've learned a ton from it. It's slim, easy to read and very helpful. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    In response to both of the latest business cards:

Black looks slick, but I'd contemplate leaving the back white if I were either of you. Why? You can't really jot a quick note on black. I frequently give out cards with a little reminder on the back to help the person remember something in particular, maybe where they met me, a password to a gallery, etc. etc.

Here's my business cards again:

102013201-Ti.jpg

Printed as a 4x6" print and cut into fourths. (2x3")
    -Matt-

Nice cards.

A few comments.

Do you really need www.?

I like the font, but really dislike the broken "S". Maybe I'm just not getting it at this size, but it just looks broken.

Your text is too crowded to the edge, IMO.

For my money, it's the rainbow shot. But what's with the ghosted Matthew Saville?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, that's poor design. Graphy, do yourself a favor, and get a copy of this book. It's a great primer on basic design concepts. I've learned a ton from it. It's slim, easy to read and very helpful. thumb.gif

Ok thanx for your honesty......back to the drawing board! :cry

• Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    Ok thanx for your honesty......back to the drawing board! :cry

Hey, it's just my opinion!

If you want to go through the card and talk about what works/what doesn't I'd be happy to help, but really, the best help I can give you is for you to read that book.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Do you really need www.?
    I am waiting for the day the world drops this also. We all still use it & my mum (she is 70) would stop dead if she had add it herself.

Maybe we could start a web page & get a movement going to drop it worldwide.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I am waiting for the day the world drops this also. We all still use it & my mum (she is 70) would stop dead if she had add it herself.

Maybe we could start a web page & get a movement going to drop it worldwide.
    Did you know that you can simply hit the ctrl key whilst hitting the enter key to get IE or firefox to add all the crap that nobody likes to type? Type in "dgrin" (no quotes or anything else) in your address bar and hit ctrl-enter. It'll change into http://www.dgrin.com/ automatically.

thumb.gif

I now return you to your originally scheduled thread topic.

Matthew, me no likey the script-ish font. If you care, that's my opinion. :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hey, it's just my opinion!

If you want to go through the card and talk about what works/what doesn't I'd be happy to help, but really, the best help I can give you is for you to read that book.

No no don't get me wrong!
    I want honesty.....actually after reading this whole thread I'm amazed at how many others got the whip!
    Many of the cards I have seen here are way better than mine and yet they still went to the gallows.
    No I'm not a graphic designer and never will be. Hell I can't even draw a stick figure! :D
    Figured the Photo conveys the style of Photography I like to do and was straight to the point/readable.
    Either way it looks more professional than writing everything down on a piece of paper and handing it off.

Just a small note on my part....

If I wanted to learn with books I'd go to Barnes and Knoble or the Library.
    Thus I'd have no need for Photography Forums.
    Sometimes it's more helpful to learn from others than to plod threw books.

How long would it take to become a Mechanic if ya had to learn it all from books?
    How much more could you learn with "hands on" with a actual Mechanic that has years of experience?
    That doesn't mean the Mechanic treats you like your and idiot cuz you don't know what ball joint is.
    But yet takes the time to tell you what it does and shows you how to replace it.

That's what I thought these forums are for?

Not all of us are a wiz at Photography or Graphic Design....thus we look to those who are on these forums to learn.

This IS NOT directed at you....but I've noticed that happening more and more on the forums.
    Some are trying to be helpful and some.....
    EGO? Dunno if I'd got that far....but maybe?

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    This IS NOT directed at you....but I've noticed that happening more and more on the forums.
    EGO? Dunno if I'd got that far....but maybe?
    FWIW, I'd say call it out when you see that kind of thing happening. You'll get the mod's support every time if someone's being a jerk, and maybe a fresh perspective if they're not.

Sound fair?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/