Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    ESiggins wrote:
    This is an image of what I came up with on a design-your-own business card site. The measurement lines will not be included on the card. Wanted to get some opinions before I take the plunge. Any comments or suggestions?

100636472-M.jpg

Thanks,

Fred.

I like the card except for You name needs to be bolder than your title....the email and url need to be a tad smaller and that list....well cut it down to some thing like....Portriats, events and commerical....events take up the music, sports and events and commerical takes in the food and etc.... or you could simply state PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER and make any explanation when asked what you shoot......

one last thing get ya domain name....a dot com....I know a lot of people that will not type in one like yours but will type in a dot com that has 5 words and 75 letters....it just looks more professional.

just my 'umble opinon.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    New Card Update
    101986109-M.jpg

The front and back of the card

101986111-M.jpg
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    101986109-M.jpg

101986111-M.jpg

I like the improvements. One question, why do you have www.exposethemoment.com on the front, but then have http://photos.exposethemoment.com on the back? I think I would use the www for both, keep it consistent, but that's just me.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006

Very nice improvement, I can't say more thumb.gif
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Which card?
    Anyone interested in my service, (creating a customized .PSD file for you to do the same as I) ...please click HERE

102013188-L.jpg

102013201-L.jpg

102013219-L.jpg

102013220-L.jpg

102013243-L.jpg

102013258-L.jpg

102013275-L.jpg

102013300-L.jpg

102013319-L.jpg

102013343-L.jpg

102013358-L.jpg

102013383-L.jpg

102013417-L.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Show Off...
    Anyone interested in my service, (creating a customized .PSD file for you to do the same as I) ...please click HERE

Truly great work...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Welcome, fellow Michigander...
    EVOgraphy wrote:
    I'm going down a more non traditional road with my cards. They are more of mini cards than full business cards. My thinking is that they are more unique and people will be more likley to hang on to them.

anyway... here they are. I have a few different front versions that each get the same back.

265154645_8a3f4603a8_o.jpg

265154642_b917d70c55_o.jpg

265154638_430e1313bb_o.jpg

267462216_208d51cb1b_o.jpg
    These all catch my eye...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    101986109-M.jpg

101986111-Ti.jpg

Much better. I would lose the 1 in front of your number, as everyone knows about that, it's unnecessary, IMO. You may also think about moving it to the back, with the rest of your contact info, and you don't need the URL on the front and back. It is much better, however.

You also might think about making the back white with black text, so that you can jot notes on it. I like Andy's suggestion about leaving some info out, so that you can write something personally on the card.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    The card order has been processed
    Here is the front. The back the s will be removed from portraitures

First, I want to say some people are clueless and 877 has only been around for 5 or 6 years to I left the 1 in for the 877 number, maybe on the next pritn batch I will remove it.

The web address on the back is a sub-domain to bring people stright to my smugmug galleries. When I place the cards at weddings I will have the back facing up so thats what people will see first.

102469873-L.jpg

102469879-L.jpg
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2006
    Help please! I brought down the opacity of the photo and it might not have "pop" anymore. The font I'm set on for the motoximages part, which is papyrus. It "needs' more or something.

103818919-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2006
    j-bo wrote:
    Help please! I brought down the opacity of the photo and it might not have "pop" anymore. The font I'm set on for the motoximages part, which is papyrus. It "needs' more or something.

103818919-M.jpg

First I think to make the name pop a little, change the color of the X. Then instead of a black stroke around the text, try another color. Or you could change the color of the name, maybe even reverse the colors, black text white stroke. Also maybe using a slightly thicker font. I like papyrus for its jagged edges on the lettering, but here the font is so small you don't see that. To the eye it just looks a little blurred or out of focus.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2006
    Thanks for the help. I bumped up the saturation a wee bit and did change the font colors and I like it enough to print it.

Does Office Depot or Kinkos do this type of service? I need them for tomorrow. I used to print my own on glossy business cards a long time back with an epson inkjet, but don't have that anymore.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    I got my bc box yesterday from overnightprints. Very high quality! I'm amazed.

The only thing is that I've chosen rounded border, and only now I realize that it doesn't match the design of my card very well, but that's minor.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2006
    j-bo wrote:
    Thanks for the help. I bumped up the saturation a wee bit and did change the font colors and I like it enough to print it.

Does Office Depot or Kinkos do this type of service? I need them for tomorrow. I used to print my own on glossy business cards a long time back with an epson inkjet, but don't have that anymore.

Thanks again.

Show us the new version.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Show us the new version.

Here is what I settled for, knowing my customers probably don't really care. It's just something to hand out at the races so they know where to find their photo's at. I can live with the lettering covering the photo's up a bit, etc.

Taking to Kinko's and getting them printed on glossy bcards.

I also decided, that I will make 10 different background images, and keep the lettering as a templet, and maybe get lucky that when I give them out, someone will say.. "hey, that's me!".

Besides that.. the wife says "I like them like this", so she speaks and I do.:D

Here is the main one I'll give out and some others of the bunch:

104004646-M.jpg

104029644-M.jpg

104029791-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2006
    Just got back from Kinko's. Yuck.. no full bleed printing?!!!! I begged them to do some, and they printed on some crappy supposed glossy stock and I had to use their cutter to cut them. The gloss was not very glossy, and they left no spacing to cut them either, let alone the cutter couldn't keep square for diddly.

I didn't see "full bleed" printing on overnightprints either. Is there an online bcard printing service that prints glossy, full bleed? I mean, I can hook my inkjet back up and get avery glossy stock and do my own if I must.

I may still change up and enlarge the font to go all the way across the top and lose the .com part.

I do know that I'll also need to change up my name font so it has better visiibily. Any suggestions? What size font's are ya'll using? Either that, or I'll just put motoximages on the front and use back printing for the contact info, etc.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    Sorry for your troubles. I had good luck with overnightprints, and there's a new vendor in our Flea Market you could check out, too.

I'd lose the "Quality Photos by:" line. Don't think you need it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JakeJake Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Here is mine...
    Here is mine...I had a friend who works in the creative industry make this one for me. Sometimes it pays to hire a pro. What do you think? This is one of my images taken at sunrise over Lake Superior.

frozen card 3.jpg
    Thanks,
    Jake

"Some people hunt with a rifle, I hunt with a Canon" ~ Gary Jacobson
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Any Comments?!
    ANY COMMENTS on this? I designed it not long ago and I'm about to order some, but I want to know what y'all think!!!

businesscard.png

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    ANY COMMENTS on this? I designed it not long ago and I'm about to order some, but I want to know what y'all think!!!

businesscard.png

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From your avatar I can tell that you are an be different type of person. It definitely matches that. I like it for the one side, might I suggest a nice pic on the opposite side. I do like the break from the norm with the text on the ends. It makes the card distintive.

With business cards I like the clean, neat, simple designs with the basic info. Your goal is for them to visit your site and then give you a call.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2006
    Jake wrote:
    Here is mine...I had a friend who works in the creative industry make this one for me. Sometimes it pays to hire a pro. What do you think? This is one of my images taken at sunrise over Lake Superior.

frozen card 3.jpg

I don't see a card.

Well I still don't in the first post, but after making this reply I see the attachment link. Nice card. I like the use of the r connected to the t's in the logo. There is something that doesn't seem to balance with the text on the front. It just seems not quite right to me. I can't really place my finger on what or why or what to do. Not that its bad, just not pleasing to me in some way. On the back I am not sure I would center the text, it distracts to much from the great image. Maybe putting it in the bottom right corner. Lastly not really sure you need to put photographer under your name. I bet most people that you give them to know your a photographer, so why restate that. That's my view. In my past jobs I got a lot of business cards, so I have looked through many, many. I can and still do refer to some from years ago and I never forget what they do, even if it is not obviously stated. (ie Mortgage banker, vet, insurance rep, banker, photographer, dj, yellow pages, etc) I think they can get "photographer" from the name frozen shutter is my point.

Also on your website on the home page you don't have an email address listed or a phone number for customers to contact you. If they see the site and want to contact you, presently their isn't a way. If there is you must be hiding it somewhere.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2006
    thought i'd toss mine in...
    Since I'm just starting out, I wanted a workhorse...Something that I could use for multiple purposes. Instead of buying business cards, brochures and thank you cards, I bought 4x6 postcards. I figured people are less likely to lose a teensy card. Anyway, here is the front, and the back has a short bio and contact info, and I can jot a quick note and throw a stamp on it.
    105077426-M.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    Since I'm just starting out, I wanted a workhorse...Something that I could use for multiple purposes. Instead of buying business cards, brochures and thank you cards, I bought 4x6 postcards. I figured people are less likely to lose a teensy card. Anyway, here is the front, and the back has a short bio and contact info, and I can jot a quick note and throw a stamp on it.
    105077426-M.jpg

I might move the text to the bottom so its about on his arm. I think the text in the middle distracts to much from the great photo.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Thought I'd give this thread a go:

Front
    46911264-M.jpg

Back
    46911269-M.jpg

I consider this more as a "URL card" than a true business card because I don't consider myself a professional by any means. Not to say I don't need a website but I am pretty selective of any hired photographic assignments due to the fact that I am completely and utterly Inspiration's bitch (read: boring project = awful photos :D )

Oh, plus I really dislike talking on the phone!
  • Options
    JakeJake Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    bham wrote:
    I don't see a card.

Well I still don't in the first post, but after making this reply I see the attachment link. Nice card. I like the use of the r connected to the t's in the logo. There is something that doesn't seem to balance with the text on the front. It just seems not quite right to me. I can't really place my finger on what or why or what to do. Not that its bad, just not pleasing to me in some way. On the back I am not sure I would center the text, it distracts to much from the great image. Maybe putting it in the bottom right corner. Lastly not really sure you need to put photographer under your name. I bet most people that you give them to know your a photographer, so why restate that. That's my view. In my past jobs I got a lot of business cards, so I have looked through many, many. I can and still do refer to some from years ago and I never forget what they do, even if it is not obviously stated. (ie Mortgage banker, vet, insurance rep, banker, photographer, dj, yellow pages, etc) I think they can get "photographer" from the name frozen shutter is my point.

Also on your website on the home page you don't have an email address listed or a phone number for customers to contact you. If they see the site and want to contact you, presently their isn't a way. If there is you must be hiding it somewhere.
    Thanks for the feedback. As far as the balance on the front of the card. I removed my phone number from the business card only for this posting, so I could see how you thought it didn't look visually balanced. Yes...photographer is a given, but most people I meet don't always know I am a photographer. I know it sounds strange, but photography isn't my day job and it still suprises quite a few people I meet.

I will see about adding some contact information, but I am trying to minimize spam from crawling web applications that look for email addresses.

Thanks!
    Thanks,
    Jake

"Some people hunt with a rifle, I hunt with a Canon" ~ Gary Jacobson
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2006
    Jake wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. As far as the balance on the front of the card. I removed my phone number from the business card only for this posting, so I could see how you thought it didn't look visually balanced. Yes...photographer is a given, but most people I meet don't always know I am a photographer. I know it sounds strange, but photography isn't my day job and it still suprises quite a few people I meet.

I will see about adding some contact information, but I am trying to minimize spam from crawling web applications that look for email addresses.

Thanks!

I understand about the email and not wanting spam. I set up a seperate email just for my site and have had it a year and luckily rarely get junk email. Like 1 every 6 months. But you have no contact info on your site. That from a business point of view is not good.

The thing with having photographer on their is more of a preference, and I sure can understand your situation and why you do that.
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Trying A New Card Photo
    The fonts can change, the photos are my concern and can not decide witch one to work with after resizing. Any comments welcomed. headscratch.gif
    103138358-L.jpg
    109942693-L.jpg
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    The fonts can change, the photos are my concern and can not decide witch one to work with after resizing. Any comments welcomed. headscratch.gif

I liked the second one better.

And if you decide for the first one, clone the safety inspection sticker out of the headlights, it's distracting (where is this track? streets of willow?)

cheers

Padu
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2006
    The track is MSR of Houston. I like the second but have received mixxed reviews from the freinds I have shared with. Thank You.
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2006
    xtnomad wrote:
    103138358-L.jpg
    109942693-L.jpg

I like some elements of each mainly because of the photo. The top photo I like that you can see the whole bike but the background is not all solid and is distracting. In the second photo the background is great, solid and not distracting from the photo. But in the second you only see part of the bike. Also in the top photo the angle of the bike is closer to straight on to the camera when the pic was taken. I like this over the more of a side shot of the second one. I guess I give all this feedback on the image because you obviously have many many images and you might have another that fits both criteria, and that would be your best choice in my opinion.

I think that putting the text all on one side looks better. If you use the top card you could put all the text down the right side. On the top picture you could clone out the other road in the background with grass. I think that would be less distracting.