Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    nedens wrote:
    Ok I would love some comments on my business card. Haven't got it printed yet so I would love to hear what anyone has to say.

test.jpg

Nice picture.

I think your card has way too much information. Just the basics.

I don't care for the all-caps.

I like the font for your logo OK, but the other font is kinda bland. Not that it should be really ornate or flowery or anything. Simple is good. It just looks really ordinary. It could be as simple as losing the all-caps, though.

Also, at the bottom, lose the words Portraits and Photography. Children * Family * Wedding. We get the rest, not needed.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    like it, it is calm and quit. Don't know if that is what you are after.
    It could have some more swung for me personally...
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Nick,

I second what David said. Layout is good, but try proper casing your name and contact information. Including the domain name, especially when you have two or more words in the domain, it makes it much easier to read. Also the spacing between "Nick Edens" and all of the address lines looks weird. It appears as if there are two spaces between each word.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2007
    Oh, and lose the www, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    nedens wrote:
    Ok I would love some comments on my business card. Haven't got it printed yet so I would love to hear what anyone has to say.

test.jpg

This is nice! I like the subtle photo in the background.

Some personal opinions...
    I'm not a huge fan of everything being in caps...the scripted font at the top doesn't really go with the rest of the very plain, straight, completely level lettering. Across the bottom it's OK (IMHO), but the rest is kinda stark and harsh compared to the sweet baby pic next to it.
    Is it necessary to have your website AND e-mail address on the card? If they went to your website, could they find your e-mail there? I've read that many people are taking off the www.
    Children's Portraits technically should have an apostrophe. Alternatively, it could say Children...Families...Weddings.

That's my .02!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    nedensnedens Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Two new options
    Ok I took some of the suggestions and I have two new versions. Let me know what you all think of these. Thanks again for all your help!

business-cards-4.jpg

business-cards-Kris2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2007
    Nick:

I know you're a photographer, you don't need to tell me.

I also know what a phone number looks like, you don't need to tell me what it is.

Lose something. From a design standpoint, I would prefer it was your address, but if you need that, then lose your phone or your email, something, it's just too crowded. If you lost the phone, then you could say, "Hey, let me write my phone number on here for you," and make it more personal. You could write on the back.

Also, keep all the like information together. Having your URL separate from your other contact info is weird, IMO.

I prefer numbers to be listed as 777.777.7777 or something similar. I find the parentheses to be cluttery.

And seriously, think of trying another font, one that's just a touch friendlier.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2007
    nedens wrote:
    Ok I took some of the suggestions and I have two new versions. Let me know what you all think of these. Thanks again for all your help!

Personally, I like the right-aligned text better with the picture on the left.

Drop the phone/email descriptions as they are not needed.

I like "Children Family Wedding" over "Children Families Weddings".

I see alignment/spacing problems with the text. I'm guessing you have each line of the address in independent text boxes, try putting the entire address together in one text block.

My peference is phone/email/web below the address grouped together in one text block.

Try uppercase on the L (lifeprints) and S (studios) in the web address. I think it will make it easier to read at a glance.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2007
    Ok is this one any better then? Or does everyone like the right aligned one better? I can post a newer version of that as well.

business-cards-4-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2007
    nedens wrote:
    Ok is this one any better then? Or does everyone like the right aligned one better? I can post a newer version of that as well.

It's better. The phone number and email address don't feel right to me however. Here is a suggestion, move the phone number below the address and move your email up below your name. Then move the address+phone block up a little from where it's at now.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    It's better. The phone number and email address don't feel right to me however. Here is a suggestion, move the phone number below the address and move your email up below your name. Then move the address+phone block up a little from where it's at now.
    First off I really appreciate all your help. I went back through and tried to minimize some elements like what was suggested. I also went back to the right aligned format. I then created a card back as well. Hopefully this will help? ne_nau.gif

card-front.jpg

card-back.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think your card has way too much information. Just the basics.

nod.gif

Less Is More
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    nedens wrote:
    First off I really appreciate all your help. I went back through and tried to minimize some elements like what was suggested. I also went back to the right aligned format. I then created a card back as well. Hopefully this will help? ne_nau.gif

I think the front looks fine now. Hopefully others will offer their opinions...

How about trying the font you use for "Lifeprints Studios" on the front for the quote on the back?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    The stuff on the back doesn't look to be centered left to right. ne_nau.gif I'm not sure exactly what I think of the quote/slogan, but I like the idea of at least trying it with the other font.

The stuff on the front is almost all evenly spaced and symmetrical...maybe put another line of space just above your name?

You've definitely improved it a ton! thumb.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

• Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    Ok I am trying to take everyones advice here. Andy I tried to simplify it even more and removed the web address from the front (its on the back) and moved the address down to the bottom of the card. I really want the address of the studio on it as most photographers here do not have a studio and can only do shoots when the wether is good or on location and I really wanted to diferentiate myself in that regard.
    I also centered the text on the back and changed the font for the blurb on the back. Thanks again everyone for all your help. Let me know if this is better.

card-front-1.jpg

card-back-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    Everything needs to align with something. Take a look at the front of your card. Your name and phone number align with each other, but nothing else does. There's no unity of design with everything all haphazard like that. I still don't like the font you've used for the non-logo text. And I think that the address is too close to the bottom of the card. In danger of getting clipped off in bleed trim, and it just feels crowded to the edge down there.

You copy line isn't quite working. Think about losing the second half. "Every person has a story" implies to me that you care enough about my story to tell it. I work with copy every day in my job. I can't put my finger on a definitive reason why that doesn't work, but it's awkward, as it's worded. I'll think on it, but the idea of losing the second half helps.

Also think about putting your logo and children family wedding on the front. Maybe your name as well, but that's it. Then all contact info goes on the back. The copy line could go on front or back. But all contact info should be on back, IMO. Firstly, it should be all in one place, and secondly that info is utilitarian. It does not set the tone or convey a feeling about you and your work, as the picture on the front does.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    nedens wrote:
    Ok I am trying to take everyones advice here. Andy I tried to simplify it even more and removed the web address from the front (its on the back) and moved the address down to the bottom of the card. I really want the address of the studio on it as most photographers here do not have a studio and can only do shoots when the wether is good or on location and I really wanted to diferentiate myself in that regard.
    I also centered the text on the back and changed the font for the blurb on the back. Thanks again everyone for all your help. Let me know if this is better.
    Here's my 2 cents. Let the front tell its story. We read top to bottom - left to right.
    Go back to the image where you had the baby on the right.
    Leave "Lifeprints Studios" as is. Black but could be a dark gray.
    Remove all the other info.
    Aligned left and even with Lifeprints only in the lower quadrant, add "Everyone has a story..." using the same font only about half the size. Pick the darkest color on the baby image as the font color. It will be a medium-light gray.

This makes the viewer look deeper into the card and creates interest. It tells a story.

All the other info goes on the back in an easy to read font and size.

Give it a try and see what you think.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    I agree about top-bottom, left-right, but come to a different conclusion. Baby first, text second.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I agree about top-bottom, left-right, but come to a different conclusion. Baby first, text second.

Ok I ditched the font and tried another. Let me know if it works better. I also redid the layout a bit again.

front-new.jpg

back-new.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    I really like what you did with the copy. Very nice.

The font is worse. Maybe leave it like it was. The change I was thinking of was more subtle.

Here's the deal: the two fonts you have now are not different enough to contrast effectively. They conflict. The simplicity of the old font was better, it was just kind of plain jane. Look up this thread to my 3-fold business card I'm working on. Can you see how my sans-serif font is just a little more warm and inviting than the one you chose originally? That's what I'm seeing, the sans-serif font you chose is kind of cold. You need more warmth, but not too much.

Make sense?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    I agree with DavidTO! The layout works nicely, but the font still needs a tweak. Almost there! clap.gif

Edit: On the front...is it completely right justified? It looks like the last letters of Lifeprints Studios are not lined up.

Elaine
    Elaine

• Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I really like what you did with the copy. Very nice.

The font is worse. Maybe leave it like it was. The change I was thinking of was more subtle.

Here's the deal: the two fonts you have now are not different enough to contrast effectively. They conflict. The simplicity of the old font was better, it was just kind of plain jane. Look up this thread to my 3-fold business card I'm working on. Can you see how my sans-serif font is just a little more warm and inviting than the one you chose originally? That's what I'm seeing, the sans-serif font you chose is kind of cold. You need more warmth, but not too much.

Make sense?
    Sometimes it's just easier to give an example. If you would prefer I don't, I will take it down.

Bear in mind, the card has to please you and there is no one right answer. We can give suggestions but you have to like it.
    122599630-S.jpg

It's hard to beat the Park Ave font for a classy feel. Making the blurb a lighter hue ties it in with the image. It also makes your business name pop.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    Again thanks for all of your wonderfull help. I took all your advice again and here is what I have now.

front-new-1.jpg

back-new-1.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 12, 2007
    Following what others have advised so far, the change in font type is good for the back, but I'd say it's too big (think back to the link Andy posted - big big font = cheap, smaller font = expensive/classy).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    raceMpower95raceMpower95 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Here is mine for whatever it is worth. I might change the font though and have it re-printed. Seems a bit too casual and un-professional to me. Any ideas?

1fh2.jpg
    Canon EOS 40D w/BG-E2 vertical grip
    Canon EOS 20D w/BG-E3 vertical grip
    Tokina AF 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X DX
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0
    L
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4.0
    L
    Canon 580 EX II
    Alien Bee Studio Strobes w/ Cybersync Triggers + VII Powerpack
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Here is mine for whatever it is worth. I might change the font though and have it re-printed. Seems a bit too casual and un-professional to me. Any ideas?

1fh2.jpg
    It definitely does say casual to me. I don't suppose that is necessarily unprofessional depending on how you carry out your business. ne_nau.gif I'm trying to think of a way that font could be used and have it not be casual. Frankly, I can't think of one. Even if you use it sparingly, it would still make your card rather casual. Anyhow, I'd say if you're going for professional and not casual I'd go for a different font.

Also the general consensus on here seems (to me) to be that it's better to show off your work in some way than it is to have a graphic like a camera (albeit a fancy camera and lens mwink.gif).
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DanielaDaniela Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2007
    My first business/referral card attempt...
    First, let me say "Hi!" to you all. After months of reading and learning on DGrin, I've decided to come out of my shell and finally post. I've been admiring so many of these business cards, and thought I could use some advice before I send mine off to the printer. BTW, I was going to use White House Publishing, but it seems that you guys love Overnight.com so much, that I think I'll use them instead. They look to be cheaper and faster, too.

Anyway, a friend/customer keeps saying that everyone keeps raving about the birth announcements I did for her. So I thought I would take that image and turn it into something she could hand out when asked. I may end up doing it again, depending on the response. I'd like to be able to also use this batch for handing out as some of my business cards, catering to those who want children's portraits.

I've always gotten help with business cards in the past, so I feel they might be missing something. Which is the best position for the text? What font appeals to you best?

My first attempt:
    123855120-M.jpg

My second attempt:
    123855059-M.jpg

My third:
    123855093-M.jpg

Thank you for your time and any responses!

Daniela
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    I like the 1st one best. 2nd one is o.k. too. Just my 2 cents...

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks....

123987709-L.jpg

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    Daniela wrote:

My third:
    123855093-S.jpg

Thank you for your time and any responses!

Daniela

I like the 4th one best. mwink.gif

Where you move the contact info down to the bottom, and stack it reverse order: phone on top, email in the middle, and URL on the bottom, minus the "www."
    Moderator Emeritus