Options

4th Annual SmugMug / Dgrin Shootout -- Arches National Park October 2008

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

PLEASE everyone who's been to a shootout or just traveled to this part of the world, jump in and post your suggestions if you have them, too. thumb.gif

My suggestions:

1. Pack comfortable, easy wear and care clothing that you can layer, lots of pockets and a good wide brimmed hat. Comfortable, well broken in hiking footwear.

2. I used the laptop compartment of my camera backpack for holding a Camelback bladder in Bryce/Zion. Was an essential and a convenient way to carry water. Hike with more water and less glass. Someone else will have glass for you to borrow.

3. Don't be shy! Absolutely essential to reach out, make friends. This way, you will always have someone to shoot with/hang out with/ learn from. The number of attendees this year is huge, so I am sure that the only way to function will be forming many small groups. Don't see this as a negative, but rather a great way to mix, network and opportunity to learn from people with different experiences and interests. My first shootout, I purposefully plunked myself down at a table full of people I had never before met.....and it turned out to be davev, Katev, Adam and Kendall. Probably the best move I've ever made!(my dh may disagree:D). And last year, I think everyone in the turtle herd had fun.

4. Walkie Talkie thingies - we had several sets last shootout, and were able to communicate between 4 or 5 vehicles at a time. Great fun, and useful.

ann
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    schmoo wrote:
    Awwww, well we'll make sure to get as much Dean time as possible. I for one am looking forward to it!! :D

iloveyou.gif Im looking forward to it as well Schmoo!! I am going to try and stay until around 2-3 in the afternoon so that should be good. Can't wait to see all the gang. It's kind of like the show Cheers but we only go to the bar once a year. Laughing.gif.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:
    ...4. Walkie Talkie thingies - we had several sets last shootout, and were able to communicate between 4 or 5 vehicles at a time. Great fun, and useful.
    I think I need to pick up a new set.. Any hands-on recommendations? There are gobs of models, very hard to tell one from another, yet I know they work differently, some provided very clear communications over a couple of miles and hills and some didn't work around a corner...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    schmoo wrote:
    Last year word of mouth was a decent way to make sure things got communicated. Sunrise shooting meant meeting by the coffee in the lobby by 5:00 AM. We'd drive to the spot carvan-style and then come back whenever you want, catch some breakfast, download photos, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat for any daytime or evening shoot. If people DO want some kind of announcement board, however, I'm sure that we can work something out with the resort, so lemmie know. ear.gif
    Decent -- yes.

Perfect -- no.

I remember at glacier when some of the groups were left behind in the afternoon or maybe the times were changed in the game of telephone. People were at the lobby wondering where was everyone and later found out that the group left the hour before.

I don't believe we need the entire trip scheduled out, but at a minimum, the times or places where the pros will be at written down somewhere at some point in the day when the decisions are made. We understand that the decisions are fluid and usually made spur of the moment, but it would be useful to know sunrise, day outings, sunset, the evening meeting, nightscapes/star trail locations, etc. for those that want to head out with the pros.

I think a whiteboard or sort of sign in a central location (lobby?) might be useful especially with the large number of people.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    schmoo wrote:
    You find out what your balance is when you check out on October 12th. The $300/head that you paid David on signup will be credited towards your individual charges, which is your room and any extras that you have put on your tab.

This is my biggest concern about the way the shootout is being handled. The big unknown is the total cost of lodging. At the very least we need a ballpark figure in order to avoid a big surprise when we receive our final bill. :D

It looks like the rooms at the lodge are either $200 (2 beds) or $300 (3 beds) a night, so if we figure one person to a bed, it will be $100 a night per person. So for 4 nights that would be $400 + taxes per person just for the room. Does this sound about right?

Also regarding food. Are we planning on eating meals (i.e. lunch) in the field?
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    aktse wrote:
    I think a whiteboard or sort of sign in a central location (lobby?) might be useful especially with the large number of people.
    15524779-Ti.gifdeal.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    aktse wrote:
    It's easy to do and it shall be done. Schmoo loves whiteboards deal.gif

We'll have three "groups" each led by me, Marc, and Dave Porter. Each "group" will be heading to a different venue @ sunrise, sunset, and night shooting. Groups may be combined, too, we'll see.

Stay tuned!
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    We'll have three "groups" each led by me, Marc, and Dave Porter. Each "group" will be heading to a different venue @ sunrise, sunset, and night shooting. Groups may be combined, too, we'll see.!
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

We don't have to fight for a sunrise spot with 50+ other people! Yippee!
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think I need to pick up a new set.. Any hands-on recommendations? There are gobs of models, very hard to tell one from another, yet I know they work differently, some provided very clear communications over a couple of miles and hills and some didn't work around a corner...
    I'm a big fan of the motorola walkie talkies. Pretty much all 2-way radios you would get at some place like REI will work with Family Radio Service (FRS) which gives you a 1 or 2 mile range under perfect conditions, the nicer ones also do General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) which can give you 5+ miles range under perfect condtions.

None of the radios will work very well when your in the deep canyons of the the area we'll be in. With that said here's an example of a 2 way radio that would meet your basic needs. But if you look around you can probably find something cheaper.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Nikolai wrote:

I would recommend getting one of the higher-powered GMRS units. They also work on the FRS frequencies, so you'll be able to talk with anyone.

I have personal experience with and can recommend both Motorola and Cobra. I'm using a set of 25 mile Cobra GMRS radios now. I paid around $60 for the pair at Walmart on the way to a ski trip last winter. They worked great almost anywhere across the resort as long as there wasn't a mountain in the way, and I was impressed by the range. Previously, I had a pair 5 mile Motorola FRS Talkabouts. Honestly, they were fine as well. The newer 25 mile ones are incrementally better than the old 5 mile ones, but certainly nowhere's near 5X better. Not even close. Those mileage numbers are marketing BS.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    BeachBill wrote:
    This is my biggest concern about the way the shootout is being handled. The big unknown is the total cost of lodging. At the very least we need a ballpark figure in order to avoid a big surprise when we receive our final bill. :D

It looks like the rooms at the lodge are either $200 (2 beds) or $300 (3 beds) a night, so if we figure one person to a bed, it will be $100 a night per person. So for 4 nights that would be $400 + taxes per person just for the room. Does this sound about right?
    I understand but as the hospitality industry goes, we can't guarantee what rooms you'll be in until you get there. I've tried to see if we could assign rooms ahead of time but it's not possible, so just refer to the first post in this thread where the prices are quoted:
    King River Suites: (we have 13 of these reserved)
    Each room has one King bed with log furniture that steps down into the dining area which includes dining table and chairs, refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, sink and queen size sofa bed. Each room includes a private patio which faces the Colorado River. Amenities include, Direct TV, phones, DSL internet connections, hair dryer, Iron & board, robes and Bath & Body lotions, soaps and shampoo. (Maximum 4 persons) Rate: $199.95 for 2 people.

Queen/Queen Creekside Suites: (We have 6 of these reserved)
    Each room has two Queen beds with log furniture that steps down into the dining area which includes dining table and chairs, refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, sink and queen size sofa bed. Each room includes a private patio which faces the Castle Creek. Amenities include, Direct TV, phones, DSL internet connections, hair dryer, iron & board, robes and Bath & Body lotions, soaps and shampoo. (Maximum 6 persons) Rate: $199.95 for 1 or 2 persons

Queen/Queen River Cabin Suites: (we have 17 of these reserved)
    Each cabin suite has two Queen bedrooms with log furniture and shared bathroom. Bath includes whirlpool tub and tiled vanity area along with robes, hair dryer, iron & board, Bath & Body lotions and soaps. The living room area boast a central located fireplace & TV as well as queen size sofa bed. The cabin kitchenette has dining table and chairs, refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave and sink. Each cabin includes a private patio which faces White Rapids on the Colorado River. Amenities include, Direct TV, phones, DSL internet connections, hair dryer, Iron & board, robes and Bath & Body lotions, soaps and shampoo.
    (Maximum 6 persons) Rate: $299.95 for 2 people.
    Basically, unless you have specifically requested otherwise, most couples are in a River King Suite and the rest of the groups is split between Queen Cabins and Queen Suites.

Also, unless you specifically requested otherwise, most people are sharing with one other person (two people to a room OR two people to a cabin), meaning the cabins aren't going to be shoving three people to a two-bedroom unit and you have to draw straws to find out which one of you has to take the couch. :D

But also if you decide to put your meal on your room tab, etc, that changes what you owe quite a bit, so you'll need to work that out with your roomies before you leave.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    aktse wrote:
    I don't believe we need the entire trip scheduled out, but at a minimum, the times or places where the pros will be at written down somewhere at some point in the day when the decisions are made. We understand that the decisions are fluid and usually made spur of the moment, but it would be useful to know sunrise, day outings, sunset, the evening meeting, nightscapes/star trail locations, etc. for those that want to head out with the pros.
    Nautical twilights:
    20080910-7gnxgqh1qu2sbbhryinbidjdb.jpg
  • Options
    Also...
    BeachBill wrote:
    Also regarding food. Are we planning on eating meals (i.e. lunch) in the field?

No, unless you want to. Personally I would purchase a lightweight styrofoam cooler to keep in your car for drinks since we'll be in the desert. I also always have some kind of granola, nut mix, or other snack bars because I do get munchy when I'm out shooting.

But most of our meals are at the restaurant or whatever you find in the area. thumb.gif
  • Options
    greenpea wrote:
    None of the radios will work very well when your in the deep canyons of the the area we'll be in. With that said here's an example of a 2 way radio that would meet your basic needs. But if you look around you can probably find something cheaper.
    Ordered:-) thumb.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    schmoo wrote:
    PLEASE everyone who's been to a shootout or just traveled to this part of the world, jump in and post your suggestions if you have them, too. thumb.gif

I called the lodge several weeks ago. They not only have laundry facilities (good for those of us out 12-14 days on this trip) but an outdoor pool, open all year.

Some non-photo ideas:
    1) Halogen Headlamp or other lighting for those pre/post sunrise shoots.
    2) Layers, layers, Layers
    3) Drink a lot of water. It is the desert and since there is low, low humidity, you don't sweat. Osmosis removes it. Santa Fe Workshops used to say (not kidding) "if you aren't peeing once an hour, you're not drinking enough water."
    4) Be aware of the altitude. 8,000 - 10,000 feet may not seem high but your oxygen intake will be less, you will be tired more quickly. Also, drink more water. Especially if you have never been this high. Bring aspirin.
    5) Business cards or other tradable items for contact info (& I have to get my photo ones printed sometime in the next 2 weeks 11doh.gif ).

More later...
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    I do recommend photographer's/hunter's/tactical jacket. They run about $60 but can be very handy outdoors. I saw Jack (CalfeeRider) using one in Utah two years ago, loved the idea, got myself two (khaki for the outdoors, black for indoors). I used it with a great success in Montana last year and on several day-long events, it's definitely a piece of gear/wardrobe you want to consider having/bringing. deal.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    jdryan3 wrote:
    4) Be aware of the altitude. 8,000 - 10,000 feet may not seem high but your oxygen intake will be less, you will be tired more quickly. Also, drink more water. Especially if you have never been this high. Bring aspirin.
    are you talking about the Arches area? I didn't think it was that high for some reason headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ivar wrote:
    are you talking about the Arches area? I didn't think it was that high for some reason headscratch.gif
    Yes, Arches are about 4,500..4,900ft.
  • Options
    kdog wrote:
    I would recommend getting one of the higher-powered GMRS units. They also work on the FRS frequencies, so you'll be able to talk with anyone.

I have personal experience with and can recommend both Motorola and Cobra. I'm using a set of 25 mile Cobra GMRS radios now. I paid around $60 for the pair at Walmart on the way to a ski trip last winter. They worked great almost anywhere across the resort as long as there wasn't a mountain in the way, and I was impressed by the range. Previously, I had a pair 5 mile Motorola FRS Talkabouts. Honestly, they were fine as well. The newer 25 mile ones are incrementally better than the old 5 mile ones, but certainly nowhere's near 5X better. Not even close. Those mileage numbers are marketing BS.
    Thanks! I ordered a pair with FRS/GMRS support (rated for 18 miles at the direct line of sight). They will run on rechargeable AAA batteries which I use for flashes and other stuff anyway. At just over $40 it's a definite bargain.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    ivar wrote:

Terrain maps show the area to be around 4800' (about 1.5km). That's still high enough to make some of us sick since we don't normally live at that altitude.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    jdryan3 wrote:
    3) Drink a lot of water. It is the desert and since there is low, low humidity, you don't sweat. Osmosis removes it. Santa Fe Workshops used to say (not kidding) "if you aren't peeing once an hour, you're not drinking enough water."

This sounds like the archaeological dig I went on last year. lol3.gif We were also advised: if you start to feel short-tempered and cranky, you're likely dehydrated. Weird, but true.

A handy thing I didn't know about until this summer: rubberbands. A fellow photog's filter got stuck on my lens. A rubberband helped provide the traction needed to get it off. Brilliant. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Llywellyn wrote:
    This sounds like the archaeological dig I went on last year. lol3.gif We were also advised: if you start to feel short-tempered and cranky, you're likely dehydrated. Weird, but true.

A handy thing I didn't know about until this summer: rubberbands. A fellow photog's filter got stuck on my lens. A rubberband helped provide the traction needed to get it off. Brilliant. thumb.gif

Water - yes deal.gifdeal.gifdeal.gifdeal.gifdeal.gifdeal.gif
    Rubber bands, safety pins, moleskin, pocket knife, plastic bags, paper napkins - all these live in my photobag :-) thumb.gif
  • Options
    aktse wrote:
    Decent -- yes.

Perfect -- no.

I remember at glacier when some of the groups were left behind in the afternoon or maybe the times were changed in the game of telephone. People were at the lobby wondering where was everyone and later found out that the group left the hour before.
    I want to address this issue because I have gotten the impression -- through word of mouth -- that there was some disgruntlement because of this. It sounds like there were a lot of people involved, but this is the first that I'm hearing of multiple groups being left in the dark.

I know that you have voiced concerns repeatedly in person and I have passed along the message to those in charge last year, but I'm not sure they heard these issues other than through me (second-hand info.) I'm not in charge now, just filling in, but I know that Dgrin Shootouts have grown exponentially and that we've still got growing pains. We would have really appreciated hearing this stuff sooner than the anniversary of the event, yanno?

If I'm wrong and it was posted in a thread or PM'd outside my knowledge, I apologize and I spoke too soon! lol3.gif If anyone else has serious issues from last year that they'd like to bring up, it's better late than never.

While the shootouts really are a loosely-scheduled event, we still want to make sure that the Dgrin/Smuggy side of things runs smoothly and that if there's anything that we can do to make your life easier, we'll try. So as Andy said this year we'll have some kind of notice board in a visible place, for starters. I hope this helps communication so that no one misses that shot!
  • Options
    ivar wrote:
    jdryan3 wrote:
    4) Be aware of the altitude. 8,000 - 10,000 feet may not seem high but your oxygen intake will be less, you will be tired more quickly.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes, Arches are about 4,500..4,900ft.

Sorry. Should have been clearer. Moab/Arches is only +/- 4500'. I was thinking more of the region where some of us will be traveling, where Dead Horse is ~ 6000' & Mesa Verde is +/- 8000'. Even Denver is 5400', and I've seen people get sick there.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    jdryan3 wrote:
    More later...

...more now.

While it is hard to plan since you don't know exactly how the days will work out, think ahead. Are you willing (& able) to hike/climb? That means you want to travel as light as possible, but not limit your options. In the thread Schmoo mentions here
    schmoo wrote:
    First of all, I remembered this thread that started soon after last year's shootout, and it raised some great questions that I'm sure a lot of first-timers have so please check it out!

>>>> stuffjunkie's Woulda Shoulda thread
    I posted about the issue of using photobackpacks in Zion. Since then I have moved to the Think Tank system, and also use a real hiking pack to carry my stuff. Even after several trips this year I have had to rethink how to carry my tripod when hiking and shooting.

If you are meeting someone there, compare systems and see if you can share gear.

Concerned that you don't want to haul lots of luggage across the country or check expensive gear? Ship it to the lodge via UPS or Fed Ex in advance. It isn't that expensive. If you haven't traveled recently, you may be surprised at the 'extra' charges. I used to just pay the $20-$25 overweight fee for a 36" rolling duffle! OOPS! Make that $80 now.

More Stuff:
    6) Spare sunglasses w/neck cord
    7) Spare eyeglasses w/neck cord
    8) zip ties, bungee/paracord, & cord locks
    9) Compass
    10) Gaffer Tape
    11) Binoculars
    12) Sunscreen
    13) Notebook & pen
    14) Protein Bar(s)
    15) PenLight on cord
    16) Gray Card (actually black, gray, & white card)
    17) Bandaids

Other stuff I carry depending upon the type of trip:
    300 W Car Charger for batteries
    gloves
    goggles
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    What to bring, that hasn't already been said.

Light gloves for the morning and after dark shooting. (this friday, the low in Moab will be 49 degrees)
    A monopod that doubles as a walking stick. (this is important to me anyways)
    Dog spray or mace. (in case any big cats are in the area)
    Folding chair or stool. Standing around for a half an hour before sunrise gets old.
    A jump drive for the evening critique.
    Finally,
    Last year's book to have the photographers sign their work.

As for April's post about folks getting left behind.
    I was in the group that got lost in the shuffle when we all headed for Canada.
    I don't remember if times got changed, or what happened. We did meet up with the larger group
    an hour later down the road, then lost them again crossing the border.
    I think the whiteboard will be a good addition, as long as we stick to the times that are posted.
    And that would mean, no changing times after they're posted. Stick with the program.
    I don't want this to be to regimented, but then again, with all the folks going and relying on others
    for rides and so on, we don't want to leave anyone behind.
    I don't expect anyone to wait for me if I'm late, but I also expect people to be there if I'm on time.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    ... So as Andy said this year we'll have some kind of notice board in a visible place, for starters. I hope this helps communication so that no one misses that shot!
    Honestly, I don't remember the details or the people since I was really overwhelmed for the first few days and didn't start recognizing people until the end of the trip.

Overall, the shootout was a very positive experience, met some wonderful people and I'm counting down the days until Moab.

And the whiteboard will solve many of the communication issues. thumb.gif
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    Wow, I wrote that post like what, er last week? What are we doing in September already...Aaack!!

The FRS radio is a good idea, I'll pack that too.

Glad I'm driving, the truck is gonna be loaded!
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I understand but as the hospitality industry goes, we can't guarantee what rooms you'll be in until you get there. I've tried to see if we could assign rooms ahead of time but it's not possible, so just refer to the first post in this thread where the prices are quoted:

Basically, unless you have specifically requested otherwise, most couples are in a River King Suite and the rest of the groups is split between Queen Cabins and Queen Suites.

Also, unless you specifically requested otherwise, most people are sharing with one other person (two people to a room OR two people to a cabin), meaning the cabins aren't going to be shoving three people to a two-bedroom unit and you have to draw straws to find out which one of you has to take the couch. :D

But also if you decide to put your meal on your room tab, etc, that changes what you owe quite a bit, so you'll need to work that out with your roomies before you leave.

Wow, this provides much more information than that first post. THANK YOU! So a ballpark figure per person would be $100 to $150 per night for lodging plus taxes. For the four nights, this would be $400 to $600 plus taxes for lodging. This is what I'm looking for.

I hope nobody chooses to charge extras to their room if they are sharing with someone else. Checking out would be a nightmare. In fact it will be interesting seeing how the lodge deals with splitting up lodging charges among multiple people.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    Wow, this provides much more information than that first post. THANK YOU! So a ballpark figure per person would be $100 to $150 per night for lodging plus taxes. For the four nights, this would be $400 to $600 plus taxes for lodging. This is what I'm looking for.

I hope nobody chooses to charge extras to their room if they are sharing with someone else. Checking out would be a nightmare. In fact it will be interesting seeing how the lodge deals with splitting up lodging charges among multiple people.

The lodge won't be. You will have to work that out with your roommate.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops