Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Something strange. I had an air for a long time - no issues. Just tell Apple you want a NEW machine.
    deal.gif
    That was mentioned by me - their "rule" is it needs to be 3 repairs for a new unit.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2009
    I managed to keep the Air running long enough to copy the few files from the harddrive to the MacPro via sharing over wireless. It wasn't much - just some dmg/zip files and a few still-available docs from the internet.

Booted from the SL dvd. Used disk utility to zero-out the harddrive. I then reinstalled SL.

Now it runs just fine. Not a single kernel panic since 0200 this morning.

There is no way this could not have been noticed by the Apple folks at the Genius Bar.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    Woot!! Running fine now.

740832550_MpTTb-M.jpg
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Good thing it is running!

Has anyone used the magic mouse? Do you like? hates?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    I got it a few weeks after it came out. One small quirk with it not auto-reconnecting after computer woke up or powered on. However that was fixed by cycling the mouse's power. I like the new mouse. It tIes a bit to get used to with the left/right swiping. But, other than that, it is great.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    Has anyone used the magic mouse? Do you like? hates?
    No like. Right idea, but come on! My MacBook Pro touchpad recognizes way more gestures (three- and four-finger swipes for expose, app-switching...) why can't the magic mouse? At this point, a mouse that can't do expose is a step backwards for me. Lame-o! If its just a firmware thing, then shame on Apple for releasing it too soon. Or, why couldn't they just put the squeeze-y buttons on it just like the Mighty mouse?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    No like. Right idea, but come on! My MacBook Pro touchpad recognizes way more gestures (three- and four-finger swipes for expose, app-switching...) why can't the magic mouse? Lame-o! If its just a firmware thing, then shame on Apple for releasing it too soon.
    You're seriously going to three or four-finger swipe your mouse? Or which swipes are missing? (I've never used one, so I dunno what I'm talking about, btw! lol3.gif )
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    That...and the fact that there is no more mini track ball to get crudded-up. I had to disassemble the old mouse to clean that ball. What a pain that was. And, I never could get any logitech mouse to work well via Bluetooth. So I am quite happy.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    That...and the fact that there is no more mini track ball to get crudded-up. I had to disassemble the old mouse to clean that ball. What a pain that was. And, I never could get any logitech mouse to work well via Bluetooth. So I am quite happy.

Yeah I went back to a $20 wired Logitech mouse, and could not be happier. The ball on the mity mouse died after 2 mons, and I tried the magic mouse, but trying to do touch motions on a mouse that moves across the table was just not useful. And it does not support all the same touch motions as the track pad that I am used to.

I am eyeing this as a possible solution to the problem...

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Thinking about picking one up. hmm..
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    You're seriously going to three or four-finger swipe your mouse? Or which swipes are missing? (I've never used one, so I dunno what I'm talking about, btw! lol3.gif )
    Yeah, of course, it's not a full touchpad, so I don't expect it to do everything the multi-touch pad on the MBP can do. But, and this is the big BUT: as it stands, it has LESS functionality than the mighty mouse. Maybe I'm the only one hooked on expose, but that omission is a deal breaker.

Like I said, I appreciate the fact that I wouldn't have to clean the mighty-mouse ball every month, but no expose, no way.

How hard would it have been to make it "squeeze-sensitive"???

Not bad, just half-baked, that's all.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, of course, it's not a full touchpad, so I don't expect it to do everything the multi-touch pad on the MBP can do. But, and this is the big BUT: as it stands, it has LESS functionality than the mighty mouse. Maybe I'm the only one hooked on expose, but that omission is a deal breaker.

Like I said, I appreciate the fact that I wouldn't have to clean the mighty-mouse ball every month, but no expose, no way.

How hard would it have been to make it "squeeze-sensitive"???

Not bad, just half-baked, that's all.
    With OS 10.6.2 and the minimize to application feature made Expose/Spaces more or less redundant (at least for me). I can click and hold the app icon in the dock and bring up all active windows for that application.

Besides, so many apps on my macpro machine wouldn't support spaces in the right way anyway, and my hand was always inadvertently triggering expose because I squeezed the mighty mouse too hard.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    I use a logitech 7 button mouse. Yup, I know odd, but here are how they break down

1: Left Click
    2: Right Click
    3: Far Thumb All Apps
    4: Close Thumb Just Apps in this space
    5: Scroll Wheel/Center Button: Dashboard
    6: Left on scroll wheel, scroll left (sometimes I reprogram to home) only in VMware
    7: Right on scroll wheel, scroll right (sometimes I reprogram to end) only in VMware

So it can be customized as much as I want, but that seems to work
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    I have to stop using mice altogether. It's constant with Final Cut Pro, one hand nearly always controlling the mouse.

For years I would go back and forth between the mouse and stylus, but I got lazy and didn't alternate for a long time, just using the mouse. Now my hand is painful and has lost a lot of strength. I'm back on the stylus, and mending. I'm going to try the bamboo, as well.

Short story: be careful of mice, they're hard on your hands.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:

Agreed. I am looking for a good trackball solution but have not been able to find one yet to try, so I am thinking of just going in and guessing on the Kensington as I used to have one I liked; it was apple desktop bus.....
    -=Bradford

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 16, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I have to stop using mice altogether. It's constant with Final Cut Pro, one hand nearly always controlling the mouse.

For years I would go back and forth between the mouse and stylus, but I got lazy and didn't alternate for a long time, just using the mouse. Now my hand is painful and has lost a lot of strength. I'm back on the stylus, and mending. I'm going to try the bamboo, as well.

+1. I use a cycling glove (with the padding in the middle) on my "mouse hand" which has provided some relief for the RSI issues. With the open fingers I can still grip a pen, etc.

I am wondering if anyone has invented a foot mouse - a trackball affair one could navigate with the feet.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    +1. I use a cycling glove (with the padding in the middle) on my "mouse hand" which has provided some relief for the RSI issues. With the open fingers I can still grip a pen, etc.

I am wondering if anyone has invented a foot mouse - a trackball affair one could navigate with the feet.

Wii Balance Board? It is Bluetooth....
    -=Bradford

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:

There are few buttons on the Magic Mouse, so it can be frustrating due to the lack of what you can do. There is only one gesture right now to do anything besides scroll.

I'm hoping OS X supports more gestures going forward. It's no track pad, but I know the laptop track pad got more gestures over time.

In the meantime, there's a 3rd party tweak which brings oodles of gestures to the Magic Mouse:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/macupdate/~3/eHKlJnI1T2w/magicprefs
  • Options
    emtajimemtajim Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    emtajim wrote:
    OK I finally made the switch and have a new 17"MBP and a refurbished Mac Pro on their way (I'm pretty sure it's Andy's fault by the way).

Anyway I decided to opt out of the $99.00 One-on-one option and have decided to try and transfer my PC files. e-mail, pictures, etc over myself. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a program that will help expedite the process for me? I'm about half way through this thread but yowzer there's like 394 pages. Googling I found Move2Mac and Parallels(I plan on running straight OSX and no Windows so this one might be overkill). Are these any good or are there better solutions out there?

Thanks
    Jim

Thought I would give you all an update

I received both computers and have them both set up and I couldn't believe how easy it was. Spent a couple of days playing with them, yowzer can't believe how easy it was.

I went into work and had to reset the work computer, you guessed it a PC. Holy clicking Batman hmmm click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click or drag and drop, let me think about that one. Anyway thanks for everyone's help!

One happy switcher
    Jim
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    patents?id=mmkYAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&img=1&zoom=4&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U37V0CIzcG7IMDbLXa1SkaugiZ_qA&ci=81%2C82%2C851%2C968&edge=0
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 18, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    My wife's MacBook (4.1) is having frequent wireless failures, generally timeouts. They are not application specific--Safari, Firefox and Thunderbird all show the same problem. Other machines on my home net (XP, Win2K and Win7) are working fine.

Running OS-X 10.5.7. The problems started about two months ago, and I cannot tie them to any config or installation changes that I have made. Looking at some of the Web resources, I see that complaints are not uncommon, but Apple seems to be stonewalling the issue. I suspect that some automatic system software update may be responsible, but I haven't been able to find the update history.

Are there any (preferably free) tools I can use to help diagnose the problem? I know little about the exciting world of OS-X, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. All advice welcome.

Update: It looks like something either in software or hardware is making the MacBook more vulnerable to out-of-channel interference than my Windows machines are. KisMac provided the info I needed (thanks to RogersDA for that tip thumb.gif). But I live in a dense urban area and at any given time, I can see a dozen or more wireless nets around me, and these change over time. So it's a bit of a pain to be reconfiguring the router whenever the MacBook networking craps out, but it does seem to be working for now. Still, I would expect better from a company that charges a premium because their stuff "just works."
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    emtajim wrote:
    One happy switcher
    Jim
    That's kind of how I felt when I switched. Got my MacPro and it was (and still is) extremely reliable. I have not had a single major issue aside from some third-party software not behaving well and making me reboot the computer. My daughter's iMac performs flawlessly. My MacBook Air is great (aside from having to replace the motherboard - which -hey - things do go bad so I am not too concerned here). I like how everything commicates together with ease. I like how easy it is to quickly share screens, deliver files via the dropbox on the LAN, share files via bluetooth with others when out. I know that PCs can do this, but my past experience has shown these to be a bit more involved and a sometimes prone to just not working.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Update: It looks like something either in software or hardware is making the MacBook more vulnerable to out-of-channel interference than my Windows machines are. KisMac provided the info I needed (thanks to RogersDA for that tip thumb.gif). But I live in a dense urban area and at any given time, I can see a dozen or more wireless nets around me, and these change over time. So it's a bit of a pain to be reconfiguring the router whenever the MacBook networking craps out, but it does seem to be working for now. Still, I would expect better from a company that charges a premium because their stuff "just works."
    Maybe you just have a bad device, Richard. I am sitting here in San Francisco and there are no fewer than 20 wireless access points that I can see and all located on just a handful of channels. We did not have any problems when our channel is the same (though I did change the router's channel later on just to be safe). Can you update to 10.6.2 and see if that helps? Any updates to the AirPort client that you can install?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Maybe you just have a bad device, Richard. I am sitting here in San Francisco and there are no fewer than 20 wireless access points that I can see and all located on just a handful of channels. We did not have any problems when our channel is the same (though I did change the router's channel later on just to be safe). Can you update to 10.6.2 and see if that helps? Any updates to the AirPort client that you can install?

Yeah, it could be a bad device. I spent a lot of time researching it, but although there are many complaints about wireless problems, there is no consensus on the solution. Many folks swear that their problems started when they upgraded to Snow Leopard, but these problems go back several years. I did update to the latest and greatest version of Leopard and related drivers but it made no difference. John Rizzo of MacWindows.com gave me some pointers to WiFi USB dongles that claim to work with OS-X. Sadly, none of these are available in Spain, but if the problem persists, I'll probably order one from the States. It would be a whole lot cheaper than replacing the Airport module in the machine or having Apple replace the antenna.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Yeah, it could be a bad device. I spent a lot of time researching it, but although there are many complaints about wireless problems, there is no consensus on the solution. Many folks swear that their problems started when they upgraded to Snow Leopard, but these problems go back several years. I did update to the latest and greatest version of Leopard and related drivers but it made no difference. John Rizzo of MacWindows.com gave me some pointers to WiFi USB dongles that claim to work with OS-X. Sadly, none of these are available in Spain, but if the problem persists, I'll probably order one from the States. It would be a whole lot cheaper than replacing the Airport module in the machine or having Apple replace the antenna.
    I have a Hawking Wireless G USB device and it works fine when I need to have extended range. I even took off its antenna and used a lager antenna from a FVG318 router for better range).

And I have read that some USB-based wireless adapters (as well as software like KisMac) are illegal in some areas in Europe. So be careful with them where you are, Richard.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    And I have read that some USB-based wireless adapters (as well as software like KisMac) are illegal in some areas in Europe. So be careful with them where you are, Richard.

Well, if I get busted, I'm really going to be down on Apple. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 20, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:

RogersDA wrote:
    patents?id=mmkYAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&img=1&zoom=4&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U37V0CIzcG7IMDbLXa1SkaugiZ_qA&ci=81%2C82%2C851%2C968&edge=0

Oh fer... this happens all the time!!! I mention something, someone else reads my post(s), goes back in time and patents the damn thing.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    Oh fer... this happens all the time!!! I mention something, someone else reads my post(s), goes back in time and patents the damn thing.
    That's why I use Apple's Time Machine. And you all thought is was only for data backups.

Nope. Sorry - ssh into it to access the hidden time travel components.

Steve Jobs - he's that good.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    My wife needed a new laptop, so she got my old one (1st gen MBP), and I got an upgrade to a new 15" MBP. It's nice, I likey.

I did have a significant problem migrating my user. Everything got there OK, but I had tons of odd permissions problems, especially in my Library. I called Apple, and the tech guy was stumped when the standard fixes weren't working, and had to ask a senior tech guy for help.

Turns out the solution was simple, and something I did not know about. This is in Snow Leopard, obviously (it being a new Mac), so I'm not sure if this will work in earlier systems.

On the install disk that comes with the Mac, in the Utilities menu is an application Reset Password. This I had known about. What I didn't know is that this application will also reset permissions and ACLs. This is different than Permission Repair in Disk Utility (AFAIK), and the ACL bit does not exist in DU at all.

Anyway, it took a few moments and everything was perfect after.

This is my first time having any issue with migrating a user. Dunno what went wrong, but I'm glad they found the fix for me. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Sneak Peak Photo is a plug-in that takes your quick-look to the next level, giving you histogram, EXIF and other info right in the quick-look window in the finder.
    Moderator Emeritus