Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    mgdocmgdoc Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    So, (wow this is long), in the end, I think the iPad is a completely new kind of device, one that provides the kinds of things one does on a computer, without having to LEARN or USE a computer, in the traditional sense. This is, for lack of a better term, the closest we have gotten to the computer as a toaster.

And that is a good thing.

Is it a computer for me? No, because I am a computer user that GETS computers, so it doesn't answer all my needs, and never will. My only complaint about it currently is that it still essentially requires you to have a computer: it depends on syncing. I think for some it can be their only computing device, but truly syncing photos and other docs will have to wait for future versions, that can allow more connection options.

I agree, computers should be as simple as gettin beer from the fridge. They should bend to our will, not the other way around. http://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/baldy.gif
    When that happens, then the revolution in computing, really begins.
    http://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/mwink.gif
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    No Flash Support on the browser. Too many sites (SmugMug included) run flash-based components. Will it be able to upgrade to html5? Probably not a big deal on that as html5 is not being pushed anytime soon.
    So I read online yesterday that this thing is html5-ready. Great - that solves the flash problem. Unfortunately - the rest of the world is not ready (yet).

Out of curiosity (and mostly ignorance on my part) - are there going to be a lot of changes needed to SmugMug's backend and our front end to comply with html5?
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    Lightning bolts - Steve Job's next enhancement...

http://www.bigfatwhale.com/archives/bfw_444.png
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    So I read online yesterday that this thing is html5-ready. Great - that solves the flash problem. Unfortunately - the rest of the world is not ready (yet).

If you have Safari, or Google Chrome, you are good to go. Firefox supports HTML5 as well, but doesnt have full support, so things like this don't work yet:

http://www.youtube.com/html5
    RogersDA wrote:
    Out of curiosity (and mostly ignorance on my part) - are there going to be a lot of changes needed to SmugMug's backend and our front end to comply with html5?

The only Flash on my site is the Slideshow, there is no other Flash for galleries etc. For what it is worth, the iPhone Smugmug app is pretty slick, though no Flash slideshow of course. My guess is jfriend or one of the wizards will publish an update to the slideshow that leverages HTML5, since it is nothing more than updated CSS and Javascript.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    If you have Safari, or Google Chrome, you are good to go. Firefox supports HTML5 as well, but doesnt have full support, so things like this don't work yet:

The only Flash on my site is the Slideshow, there is no other Flash for galleries etc. For what it is worth, the iPhone Smugmug app is pretty slick, though no Flash slideshow of course. My guess is jfriend or one of the wizards will publish an update to the slideshow that leverages HTML5, since it is nothing more than updated CSS and Javascript.
    Thanks - I was kind of curious if other areas would need to be updated; e.g., html-only pages, due to code/feature deprecation. Looks like most stuff will be o.k.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    So, (wow this is long), in the end, I think the iPad is a completely new kind of device, one that provides the kinds of things one does on a computer, without having to LEARN or USE a computer, in the traditional sense. This is, for lack of a better term, the closest we have gotten to the computer as a toaster.

And that is exactly what to tell people when they ask why the iPad is any better than a nice Tablet PC that can run full Windows 7.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    And that is exactly what to tell people when they ask why the iPad is any better than a nice Tablet PC that can run full Windows 7.
    I am excited by the Ipad. It is not going to replace anything in my line-up but is going to be a brilliant addition - Christmas 2010 is my goal. It will be my travel companion - books, music, browsing, films, podcasts, email, photo album.

My light weight notebook will likely be the last I buy - ever tried actually using a 10.4 in screen with keyboard in the economy class of a modern jet? Or while waiting in the airport, or riding the train? I might have to take a BT keyboard for serious typing in the hotel, but the total package will still be lighter than my current state-of-the-art Portege.

I'm relying on Apple to sync all my media between my different platforms. And seeing that I only live once, I won't be waiting. Even with a few starter bugs the Ipad is a dream machine for my lifestyle.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    I am excited by the Ipad. It is not going to replace anything in my line-up but is going to be a brilliant addition - Christmas 2010 is my goal. It will be my travel companion - books, music, browsing, films, podcasts, email, photo album.

My light weight notebook will likely be the last I buy - ever tried actually using a 10.4 in screen with keyboard in the economy class of a modern jet? Or while waiting in the airport, or riding the train? I might have to take a BT keyboard for serious typing in the hotel, but the total package will still be lighter than my current state-of-the-art Portege.

I'm relying on Apple to sync all my media between my different platforms. And seeing that I only live once, I won't be waiting. Even with a few starter bugs the Ipad is a dream machine for my lifestyle.

I find typing on the virtual keyboard a royal pain. There is no way I will buy the keyboard dock just so I can type my blog entries when I am on the go. If I did, why not just buy a good netbook, let alone bring my MBP? It would equal the weight if I brought the iPad and a keyboard dock, so for that, iPad loses its advantage.

And one of the biggest disadvantage I see, is there is no way to store photos on the go. If I were to travel and not photograph anything, than I can possibly see myself getting one. But it doesn't so, it certainly loses its appeal that way. I like to travel light, but I like to travel logically light. I would need to bring a portable storage along with the iPad (and keyboard rolleyes1.gif) when traveling, which certainly does not beat a netbook (and portable storage rolleyes1.gifrofl)

Though one thing I do like is that it is probably better as a portable portfolio, along with prints.

All in all, I am going to wait till the 3rd gen to decide.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    I find typing on the virtual keyboard a royal pain. There is no way I will buy the keyboard dock just so I can type my blog entries when I am on the go. If I did, why not just buy a good netbook, let alone bring my MBP? It would equal the weight if I brought the iPad and a keyboard dock, so for that, iPad loses its advantage.

And one of the biggest disadvantage I see, is there is no way to store photos on the go. If I were to travel and not photograph anything, than I can possibly see myself getting one. But it doesn't so, it certainly loses its appeal that way. I like to travel light, but I like to travel logically light. I would need to bring a portable storage along with the iPad (and keyboard rolleyes1.gif) when traveling, which certainly does not beat a netbook (and portable storage rolleyes1.gifrofl)

Though one thing I do like is that it is probably better as a portable portfolio, along with prints.

All in all, I am going to wait till the 3rd gen to decide.
    I mentioned something like that in a recent smugchat. With the new wireless transmitters from Canon I am sure an app can be developed to retrieve the images from the camera to the iPad. It would be cool if there was an app to then port those images to your smug account; e.g., to a password-protected hidden gallery, too. Of course - shooting raw would me needing SmugVault, and color management would probably not allow for great editing/critiquing, but I may be wrong on that.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    I mentioned something like that in a recent smugchat. With the new wireless transmitters from Canon I am sure an app can be developed to retrieve the images from the camera to the iPad. It would be cool if there was an app to then port those images to your smug account; e.g., to a password-protected hidden gallery, too. Of course - shooting raw would me needing SmugVault, and color management would probably not allow for great editing/critiquing, but I may be wrong on that.

RAW would definitely be an issue. I would need to have the iPad on and with me too.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited January 31, 2010
    RAW would definitely be an issue. I would need to have the iPad on and with me too.
    Yeah, you would certainly want to transfer as you shoot, not in batch. Otherwise you are limited by the WFT-E5A's limited bandwidth (802.11g, which has a realworld throughput of about 27Mbps.) If I haven't screwed up the arithmetic, that would translate to about 40 minutes for an 8 GB card. Since you can't multitask, you better bring a book along. lol3.gif

Actually, I believe they are offering a docking port to USB dongle, so you could do it the old fashioned way. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    rolleyes1.gif

Then I would be doing the same thing if I brought a netbook. Well also assuming that you can only dock one thing at a time.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Yeah, you would certainly want to transfer as you shoot, not in batch. Otherwise you are limited by the WFT-E5A's limited bandwidth (802.11g, which has a realworld throughput of about 27Mbps.) If I haven't screwed up the arithmetic, that would translate to about 40 minutes for an 8 GB card. Since you can't multitask, you better bring a book along. lol3.gif

Actually, I believe they are offering a docking port to USB dongle, so you could do it the old fashioned way. thumb.gif
    For the life of me I can't figure out why product manufacturers do not include industry standard, adopted, and commonly used protocols; e.g., 802.11n, in addition to 802.11a/b/g. headscratch.gif It's not like 802.11n is new.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    For the life of me I can't figure out why product manufacturers do not include industry standard, adopted, and commonly used protocols; e.g., 802.11n, in addition to 802.11a/b/g. headscratch.gif It's not like 802.11n is new.

802.11n is backward compatible with a/b/g. anything that is 'n' is also 'g'

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

By the way, the ipad also offers a camera connecton kit to connect via USB, as well as an SD (boo) card adapter. Not sure how this helps all that much, since your basic iPad is only 16GB. I have 32GB of camera memory, so the iPad isnt a big help here.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    By the way, the ipad also offers a camera connecton kit to connect via USB, as well as an SD (boo) card adapter. Not sure how this helps all that much, since your basic iPad is only 16GB. I have 32GB of camera memory, so the iPad isnt a big help here.

It will be interesting to see how this works. I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that card readers look like hard drives to a computer, and that wouldn't really fit with the toaster concept. I guess Apple could supply an app that downloads pics from a card while hiding the rest. Maybe you will only be able to connect directly to those cameras that supply an iPad app. How you would get the pics out of the iPad is another unknown.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    802.11n is backward compatible with a/b/g. anything that is 'n' is also 'g'

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
    But anything that is "g" (or "b" or "a") is not "n". My somewhat vague comment was more directed to the new Canon Wireless transmitters which operate only on the "a/b/g" standards , but not "n", so that they can't get the full potential of the "n" transfer speeds.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how this works. I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that card readers look like hard drives to a computer, and that wouldn't really fit with the toaster concept. I guess Apple could supply an app that downloads pics from a card while hiding the rest. Maybe you will only be able to connect directly to those cameras that supply an iPad app. How you would get the pics out of the iPad is another unknown.

I believe the photos load into the Photo app, and then they synch back to the base computer, much the same way they do in iPhone. You can email photos to iPhone now, and put them in the Photo app, then sync them to iPhoto via iTunes. The only diff here is that you can also get photos over USB, rather than just email.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Imagine syncing raw photos! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    Imagine syncing raw photos! rolleyes1.gif

I am excited at what we will be doing with the iPad when we get to buy a 256GB/3G/USB3/multitasking version for $399 in a couple years. Just toss in a choice of cleverly written iPhone OS apps for tagging and syncing with Lightroom and Aperture, and that will probably be the field photo DAM to beat.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    I am excited at what we will be doing with the iPad when we get to buy a 256GB/3G/USB3/multitasking version for $399 in a couple years. Just toss in a choice of cleverly written iPhone OS apps for tagging and syncing with Lightroom and Aperture, and that will probably be the field photo DAM to beat.

You almost got me until I read the price at $399! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2010
    You almost got me until I read the price at $399! rolleyes1.gif

I'm completely serious. I watched the $500 iPhone get introduced, and said to myself "That's not for me until I can get it for $199 with a video camera." Then, last summer...
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    I'm completely serious. I watched the $500 iPhone get introduced, and said to myself "That's not for me until I can get it for $199 with a video camera." Then, last summer...

The iPhone is subsidized by the phone carriers.

I don't see a model where the iPad is carrier subsidized. Of course, you could always just buy the iPad with a credit card and pay $50/month for it… call it a "data plan" :D
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    That's right - people complained and the 2G and 3G phones came out pretty quickly. Why wasn't this stuff included (or enabled if that's the case) right from the start? It's not like Apple didn't know...and it's not like cellular 4G is going away.

Why wasn't it included at the start? How about the fact that it takes time to develop? Sure, you could slap a 3G radio in there, but battery life (as you've seen) is poor with 3G (still), and the 3G chipset in the iPhone 3G was MUCH more efficient than the 3G radios that shipped a year previous.

Technology is on a constant march with progress, and it takes time to develop applications and SDKs and all that. It's not that Apple is releasing "hobbled" devices so they can have stuff to release in coming years… it's that everything takes time to develop and so they ship the best they can come up with, at the time.

I mean, an extreme case if your question is "Why didn't the iPhone 3Gs ship in 1983?"
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2010
    cmason wrote:

The problem with Firefox is larger than HTML5.

The issue is there are two video codecs that are under consideration for HTML5. There is H.264 video, which is pervasive (everything on YouTube is already available as H.264), and there is Ogg Theora (a freeware codec, which has little to no hardware acceleration available, and is based on an old On2 codec). Firefox has elected to go with Theora, and I don't know many if any of those.

So if you want HTML5 and its video support for what is out there today, you can use Safari or Chrome. I don't know when or if (ever) Firefox will work with H.264.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Another discussion of the standards wars here. Keep in mind that while some parts of HTML 5 are being implemented today, the full standard is not expected to reach W3C Recommendation status till 2022, at which time we will all be arguing about HTML 6. I don't follow these things very closely but it looks to me like it's going to take several years before Flash is supplanted by H.264 or Ogg Theora or anything else. There's too much disagreement among the major players about technology, licensing terms and DRM to successfully challenge the incumbent.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to chose from ;)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to chose from ;)
    Pretty standard response there...:D
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Mac Mini or iMac or MacBook?

Spouse is finally going to convert. She does not use processor-intensive apps.

Her Gateway Vista POS is causing troubles. I like the idea of the Mini, but the MacBook may be nice to unattach from the monitor and sit someplace else.

Is there a big performance hit using the Mini or MacBook vice an iMAc?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Mac Mini or iMac or MacBook?

Spouse is finally going to convert. She does not use processor-intensive apps.

Her Gateway Vista POS is causing troubles. I like the idea of the Mini, but the MacBook may be nice to unattach from the monitor and sit someplace else.

Is there a big performance hit using the Mini or MacBook vice an iMAc?

Only she or you know if a laptop is going to beneficial, but I'd say 13" MBP rather than the straight up MB. So much nicer, and the same price as the iMac.

If you're just going for lower cost for someone who's doing simple stuff, then the Mini.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops