Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    DavidTO wrote:
    Only she or you know if a laptop is going to beneficial, but I'd say 13" MBP rather than the straight up MB. So much nicer, and the same price as the iMac.

If you're just going for lower cost for someone who's doing simple stuff, then the Mini.
    Thanks David... Cost is not so much as we just do not want to get stuck with a cr*ppy system. I do not know anyone who actually owns (or owned) a Mini. Personally - I am thinking the MBP for her. However, she is the one to decide.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Thanks David... Cost is not so much as we just do not want to get stuck with a cr*ppy system. I do not know anyone who actually owns (or owned) a Mini. Personally - I am thinking the MBP for her. However, she is the one to decide.

Well, me, neither, but the specs do look the same as the lappy, just minus the battery, display, keyboard and trackpad, eh?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    I do not know anyone who actually owns (or owned) a Mini.
    I do. I wouldn't ignore it as an option in the appropriate circumstances.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    Thanks - maybe off to the Apple store this weekend.
  • Options
    Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    ok...fairly new to the i-Mac world...I have a 24" Imac where i upgraded the ram to 4mb.

I only have a few thousand photos on the drive...
    5 thousand or so on Iphoto and a few hundred on Aperture 2.

My hard drive is completely full???

I don't have a ton of programs just Aperture 2, Elements 4 and 8
    Along with Iwork. The rest came with the computer.

The the hell is going on?
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    What's your harddrive size?

as an aside, I've 5 external drives - which include back ups for each, so really two extra drives, 1 T each. They're getting full, but it'll probably be worse once I get around to scanning in 20+ years of negatives :D
    //Leah
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    My hard drive is completely full???

Download this free utility and look for the biggest squares.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Backup Utility?
    Howdy All-

So let me explain what I am trying to do and see if anyone has an application that they can recommend. I have two 500MB hard drives, one is portable the other one stays at home. What I would like to do is easily keep them in sync (more backed up from the portable than anything else). I realize I can do the drag copy from one to the other, but well that takes a while. And to be honest the mac drag copy is not as clean as I would like; it replaces folders not interleave them.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2010
    Howdy All-

So let me explain what I am trying to do and see if anyone has an application that they can recommend. I have two 500MB hard drives, one is portable the other one stays at home. What I would like to do is easily keep them in sync (more backed up from the portable than anything else). I realize I can do the drag copy from one to the other, but well that takes a while. And to be honest the mac drag copy is not as clean as I would like; it replaces folders not interleave them.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Chronosync, SuperDuper? You've tried those?

At work I have a Automator script that I like a lot. I have a back up folder on the server that I want to keep older stuff in, and I want to be able to back up my local folder, but not keep all the archival stuff, just the current stuff. This Automator script will back up folders to the destination, but leave older folders there, untouched. You can configure it to delete folders on the destination, as well. It works great: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/syncfolders.html
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    I use this to mirror my main photo drive to its backup drives.

Its options can be kind of complicated, but I like them. I can filter, make presets, and I often leave the Preview option on so I can get a window that shows me exactly which files will be replaced before letting it go ahead.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Thanks for the the suggestionsguys that helps a lot. I did a google and apple site search and found lots of programs, but figured I would ask the "collective hive mind" for suggestions rather than try less than useful solutions. I am off to download the three recommendations to try them out.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    ErinnAErinnA Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    bridge crashing
    how do i disable online services? apparently it is the cause for bridge crashing?

please explain as if talking to a first grader... thanks!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 5, 2010
    ErinnA wrote:
    how do i disable online services? apparently it is the cause for bridge crashing?

please explain as if talking to a first grader... thanks!

Hi Erinn and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif.

I have the Windows version, but I'm betting it's the same. Open Bridge and go to its preferences panel. On Windows, you get to it from the Edit menu, but I think the Mac way would be from the Bridge menu at the left. Once you are there, click on Startup Scripts, then uncheck Photoshop Services and click OK.

HTH.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    thanks, but i can only keep bridge open for about 10 seconds!
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    ErinnA wrote:
    thanks, but i can only keep bridge open for about 10 seconds!

Have you tried holding the shift key down when you launch Bridge?

I see that you have posted in the other thread about the uploader issue. AFAIK, that's the best information we have to date on this problem. Perhaps you have a computer geek friend who can help you follow the instructions listed there. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2010
    I finally got it figured out and i did get rid of those files and it seems to be working now. I don't have the online services anymore, but it was more important to be able to use bridge!

I also had the same problem on my pc.. and for that one.. holding the shift key down and deleteing cache and reseting preferences worked.

Well, if my posting that information helps someone esle.. I'm glad to be of help!!clap.gif

Richard wrote:
    Have you tried holding the shift key down when you launch Bridge?

I see that you have posted in the other thread about the uploader issue. AFAIK, that's the best information we have to date on this problem. Perhaps you have a computer geek friend who can help you follow the instructions listed there. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2010
    Can one actually change a feed URL in Mac Mail? Or - do you have to delete the feed and redo it? I could use another feed reader - but it's not that critical....
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Can one actually change a feed URL in Mac Mail? Or - do you have to delete the feed and redo it? I could use another feed reader - but it's not that critical....

I don't know, I've never used it, since I love the feed integration with Safari so much.

Speaking of Safari, I'm really liking Glims, which adds functionality to Safari. The reason I got it was so that I could add ecosia.org as my search engine, but it does a lot more:

Adds thumbnails to Google.com search results
    Adds thumbnails to Yahoo.com search results
    Adds search engines to the default Google search tab
    Adds full-screen browsing capability
    Adds Favicons to tab labels
    Adds keyword search from address bar
    Undo "Close Tab" (cmd-z)
    Re-opens last session when Safari starts
    Auto-Closes download window
    Adds new tab position option (right/left/leftmost/rightmost)
    Adds tab closing using middle mouse button
    Focus last selected tab
    Always open links in a new tab
    Type-ahead support (auto cmd-f)
    Sets the focus on the search field when opening a new window
    Adds Amazon's information banner on Google.com search results
    Adds Amazon's information banner on Yahoo.com search results
    Adds a "Max Window Size" menu item to resize the Safari window
    Forms autocomplete always on
    Autocomplete search phrase
    Adds bookmark separator
    Adds bookmark actions
    Dated download folders
    Localized to Japanese, French, Polish, German, Spanish, Italian, and Korean
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2010
    Thanks David - for some reason the SmugBlog Pro Releases and SmugBlog Release notes feeds no longer work.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    The wait for the new MacBook Pro is killing me. I'm a PC guy, but my wife wants to try her hand at a Mac. I'm told the release date for the new MacBook Pros is imminent, but I heard that over a month ago.

The only way the new computeres will get released is if I go and buy one of the existing models. Without a doubt, the new models will be released the following day! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2010
    Mitchell wrote:
    The wait for the new MacBook Pro is killing me. I'm a PC guy, but my wife wants to try her hand at a Mac. I'm told the release date for the new MacBook Pros is imminent, but I heard that over a month ago.

The only way the new computeres will get released is if I go and buy one of the existing models. Without a doubt, the new models will be released the following day! rolleyes1.gif

It's happened to the best of us mwink.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2010
    NeoOffice
    I use word 2003 in work and have been using office 2003 via fusion on my macs when I needed to do something at home. I downloaded NeoOffice a week ago and it is very good. If anyone is looking for Office 2003 compatability, give it a try.

Valve are releasing their games on the mac so I could be deleting fusion soon :)
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Why Why Why does the Western Digital External Drive keep "ejecting"? Mac keeps popping up a warning message that the drive was improperly ejected. After a few moments it remounts. It is USB-connected to the back of the Mac (it was firewired - but that was having the same issues so I switched to USB).
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:
    Why Why Why does the Western Digital External Drive keep "ejecting"? Mac keeps popping up a warning message that the drive was improperly ejected. After a few moments it remounts. It is USB-connected to the back of the Mac (it was firewired - but that was having the same issues so I switched to USB).

hmm, my two WD drives are rock solid, no issues
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    RogersDA wrote:

Did it start after upgrading to Snow Leopard? Long (but not conclusive) thread here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2138946&tstart=0
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Yeah - it started after SL - but it didn't seem to start right away (at least I do not recall it happening right after SL upgrades). I have upgraded the firmware on the drives, too.

All drives are set to not sleep. I'll try toggling that as stated in that thread and see what happens.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    Anyone else pre-order an iPad? I did - the 32GB wifi version.

I recognize all of the things it can't do - multi-tasking, flash, camera, etc. So I'd rather not debate those things.

I think it's going to be an excellent laptop replacement for me. I do about 95% entertainment or reading on my laptop and about 5% work. This is going to do the 95% better than the laptop does. Smaller, lighter, triple the batter life, a great book-reading experience, awesome screen (incredible for photo albums, I'll bet), etc. I think for web browsing, reading, and keeping up with e-mails this is going to be great. Since my Palm Pre can broadcast a wifi signal, I'm always connected.

For the 5% work that I need to do I can get a bluetooth keyboard and use google docs. I've also got an old beat-up Dell laptop that I can pull out for the rare occasion when I really need it.

The iPad will replace my Macbook Pro and my Sony e-reader, both of which I've already sold.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    I am strongly considering one to replace a netbook, and my previous desire for a Kindle. I also do not own a iPhone, since I get a company Blackberry. Would love to, but don't want to carry two phones.

So I see the iPad as a device that provides ebooks, iPhone apps and as you said basic "laptop" function. However, when I actually looked at the pre-order prices, I was a bit shocked, as they are not cheap. I suppose I was thinking it was going to be $499, but the mid-range 3G is considerably more.

At this point I am going to wait till they are in store, and the crazyness has subsided. And then I will probably wait for v2.0
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2010
    Not in the least.

I'm happy with the Kindle. Last thing I need is more things to distract me from actually reading. I also think the display would be a step back for reading. I like the e-paper.

Next on the list of reasons why not is that I have a laptop to do stuff on. It's easier and more powerful than the iPad. Yes, it's bigger. Smaller is not always better (although smaller is a plus when it comes to the Kindle, in my book).

The iPad falls between the cracks of usefulness. I just don't see any reason for it, whatsoever. A toy, maybe. Something I actually need enough to spend money on? Not at all.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    DavidTO wrote:
    The iPad falls between the cracks of usefulness. I just don't see any reason for it, whatsoever. A toy, maybe. Something I actually need enough to spend money on? Not at all.

It's a niche product, that's for sure, but I disagree that it "falls between the cracks of usefulness." I had a Sony e-reader that I used and loved so I'm well familiar with the advantages there and with e-ink. I do a ton of reading (I'm a pastor, after all) but it's rarely for long, long stretches. (And getting distracted from reading isn't an issue with no multi-tasking and self-discipline.) The ability to read for half an hour, check in on e-mail, jot down some quick notes (etc.) all on one device seems perfect for me. It can sit in my wife's lap in the car and she can watch movies/tv shows while we're traveling. I can use it with friends and family to show off baby pictures.

I think what determines its usefulness is whether or not you need/want a content creation device as your mobile PC or a content consumption device. For me, it's nearly all consumption. The iPad is small enough to go everywhere and when paired with my Pre seems like a great fit for my needs. When someone starts speaking in terms of "more powerful" or "multi-tasking," etc., it's immediately obvious to me that the iPad is not for them.

Yes, "smaller is not always better," but when it means I can carry this device and do 98% of what I was able to do on the much bigger and heavier laptop (that I also needed to lug around a power cord for), I'm a big fan of smaller. That's where I see this device fitting - 98% of what I do with my laptop (again, subjective) and a great deal more portability.

re:Price

Yep - it's not cheap. I don't need the 3G version so that saved some cash. I'm not sure I even needed the 32GB but I was afraid I'd regret running out of space. In my case though, it's replacing a Macbook Pro and a Sony Reader. I sold both for $1200+ so the iPad is right at half the cost. If you want to factor in the $150 I paid for the "beater" Dell notebook (for that nagging 2% of the time) I still came out far ahead.