Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    iChat? headscratch.gif

Now that I have an isight camera in the Macbook, does ichat only work via mac.com? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Rumor has it...

Can I call in with some ideas to make it better?

One, make the finder have the ability to save a workspace as you can in Photoshop.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Can I call in with some ideas to make it better?

One, make the finder have the ability to save a workspace as you can in Photoshop.

Yep.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Now that I have an isight camera in the Macbook, does ichat only work via mac.com? ear.gif

Nah, I don't think so. .Mac is just using the AIM network, AFAIK.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Cool, good reading material for when I get home. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I better start my wishlist now. :D
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    overheating macbooks?
    Please let me preface this question by saying that I have a macbook specced and sitting in a basket on the apple site. I am not trolling or looking to upset anyone.

I have spent the last couple of days re-reading this thread and the links in it. There are reports on some websites that the macbooks get very hot. I was wondering if Patch and Wwax have noticed this?

I presume that because this (supposed) problem hasn't surfaced on this thread that everything is ok. I just want to be sure before I drop a substantial amount of money.

Thanks,

Shay.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    There are reports on some websites that the macbooks get very hot.
    You may find the explanation here is helpful.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    Please let me preface this question by saying that I have a macbook specced and sitting in a basket on the apple site. I am not trolling or looking to upset anyone.

I have spent the last couple of days re-reading this thread and the links in it. There are reports on some websites that the macbooks get very hot. I was wondering if Patch and Wwax have noticed this?

I presume that because this (supposed) problem hasn't surfaced on this thread that everything is ok. I just want to be sure before I drop a substantial amount of money.

Thanks,

Shay.

Mine gets hot, but the fan does not kick on high very often, only if I run PS or something that needs a lot of processor power. So I hope the heat won't be a problem and so far it gets hot, but works. ne_nau.gif I am happy with it and I also have an older Ti Powerbook that ran hot too, so I don't see it as a huge problem.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you demoing it? Is it working?

No I can wait for the bug to get worked out and download it in a couple weeks. I have used NeoOffice on my G5 and I am starting to like it more than MS Office. :D No install keys to enter either in NeoOffice. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006

My vent was clear when I received it, glad it was not blocked like some were. :uhoh
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Thanks for the reassurance thumb.gif .

Shay.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    No I can wait for the bug to get worked out and download it in a couple weeks. I have used NeoOffice on my G5 and I am starting to like it more than MS Office. :D No install keys to enter either in NeoOffice. clap.gif

MacAddict had a write up on Office replacements this month...I guess some important questions (for others making this decision) are do you need an OFFICE replacement, a word processor, does it have to be compatible with MS, what kind of WP do you do (i.e. Pages is very cool for a more graphic approach), etc., etc...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    Thanks for the reassurance thumb.gif .

Shay.

I also think you can add the Applecare within the first year of purchase. $250 on a $1300 laptop, I will take the gamble and not purchase it, but if I see a lot of threads on them having problems in a few months I would probably add it, but I have faith that everything will work well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I also think you can add the Applecare within the first year of purchase. $250 on a $1300 laptop, I will take the gamble and not purchase it, but if I see a lot of threads on them having problems in a few months I would probably add it, but I have faith that everything will work well. thumb.gif

I always get AppleCare on lappys.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    MacAddict had a write up on Office replacements this month...I guess some important questions (for others making this decision) are do you need an OFFICE replacement, a word processor, does it have to be compatible with MS, what kind of WP do you do (i.e. Pages is very cool for a more graphic approach), etc., etc...

I use office for basic word processing, opening doc/xls flles from clients and simple spreadsheets, so NeoOffice should do everything and more than I need.

I don't do too many layouts, but I have access to PS, Illustrator, InDesign and GoLive, so I am covered for most of what I could need. The Apple apps are attractive to if I ever start making a lot more graphics and text pages.

I was at a friend's house and was having fun watching her ten year old nephew build is new web page in iweb on his ibook. He loves it. I cannot imagine how good young kids today will be with computers when they get to college. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Seamus wrote:

Thanks,

Shay.

My 17" MBP hasn't gotten all that hot. No hotter than the past 3 windows laptops I've had for sure. When it's really kicking, it's uncomfortable on exposed skin just like all my other lappys. But some jeans or a blanket solves that (I know, don't block the vent fan...) I hear 17"ers don't have as much of a heat problem since they have more surface area to dissapate the heat. Sounds reasonable to me I suppose.

FWIW...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I always get AppleCare on lappys.

If I had more money invested in it (pro model), I probably would, but on the macbook it is 20% of the cost of a new one. eek7.gif It is a lot smaller percentage on a 17" MBP, about 12.5%. I would rather put the $250 towards my next Macbook, which wxwax told me I will be buying in two years. umph.gif He forgot to factor in that I will probably get a 17" or 15" sooner than that. deal.gif :uhoh
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    If I had more money invested in it (pro model), I probably would, but on the macbook it is 20% of the cost of a new one. eek7.gif It is a lot smaller percentage on a 17" MBP, about 12.5%. I would rather put the $250 towards my next Macbook, which wxwax told me I will be buying in two years. umph.gif He forgot to factor in that I will probably get a 17" or 15" sooner than that. deal.gif :uhoh

Or mebbe a MacBook Thin!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I'd like to jump in on this office thread too. I'd like something super cheap with a word processor, spreadsheet, and database. MS compatibility is preferred but not required. The internets haven't been all that willing to share this information with me just yet :D

• Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Or mebbe a MacBook Thin!

I want excellent wifi, 8x or better DVD burning, 64 bit proc and I will think up some more later. :D
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'd like to jump in on this office thread too. I'd like something super cheap with a word processor, spreadsheet, and database. MS compatibility is preferred but not required. The internets haven't been all that willing to share this information with me just yet :D

As David posted, NeoOffice looks like the right fit. It is free and I really like it so far. I have opened xls files and saved back to xls and doc files, so I think for basic use it is compatible. If you were heavy on charts and graphics it might not be as good with the compatibility, but I think it would still work very well on its own. The price is right, give it a try. I plan to donate towards the cause once I test it on my Macbook. Hassle free installation. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    As David posted, NeoOffice looks like the right fit. It is free and I really like it so far. I have opened xls files and saved back to xls and doc files, so I think for basic use it is compatible. If you were heavy on charts and graphics it might not be as good with the compatibility, but I think it would still work very well on its own. The price is right, give it a try. I plan to donate towards the cause once I test it on my Macbook. Hassle free installation. thumb.gif

It didn't look like it's ready for the intel macs yet. Did I not look closely enough?

• Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    It didn't look like it's ready for the intel macs yet. Did I not look closely enough?

No you are right, they are still in Alpha testing, so it would cost a little to try it now, but in a couple weeks it should be available for free. I think it will be worth the wait.
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006

They get pretty warm even without something blocking the vent. When I pushed mine particularly hard with Aperture I saw the processor hit 87F (that's 188F). That's way hot. But most of the time it hovers in the mid to high 60s, warm but not ridiculous, and it's rare it breaks 80C even running Photoshop under Rosetta.

Even so the left underside gets pretty warm in normal use, don't rest it on bare skin.

I'm still quite happy with the purchase, warm running, glossy screen, odd keyboard and all. It is a better work machine than my old 12" powerbook, particularly since I can run Windows under Parallels and basically get two laptops for the price of one.

Someone mentioned skipping AppleCare. I wouldn't. We've had pretty good luck with the laptops but we've had issues too; my wife's 17" powerbook has been back for a new motherboard and latch sensor and the WiFi still doesn't work reliably (meaning sometimes it stops working completely, not merely poor reception). AppleCare was a good deal on that one. I probably wouldn't get it for most of the desktops (except the Quad, with its liquid cooling system) but the laptops are more likely to develop issues.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    Even so the left underside gets pretty warm in normal use, don't rest it on bare skin.
    I haven't measured the temp, but my Powerbook (non-Intel) and wintel laptop are also "pretty warm in normal use," and I make sure I don't rest them on bare skin either.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I want excellent wifi, 8x or better DVD burning, 64 bit proc and I will think up some more later. :D
    4GB memory.

Send me a .doc written with NeoOffice, I want to see what it looks like on a PC.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    Seamus wrote:

Thanks,

Shay.
    The bottom front left corner gets pretty warm.

It's not painful. But I do notice that it negates the AC in the living room - I don't cool off as well with the Macbook on my lap.

I'd say it's a bit warmer than my tiny Vaio, but it's not as if it feels like it's going to catch fire. Not that big a deal, to me. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    From my point of view, if it can't interact seamlessly with, and (equally importantly) look good on Office, then it's dead to me.

The world uses Office, so any substitute must be interchangeable not only in basic function but also in aesthetic capabilities.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    4GB memory.

right'o, add in a larger 7200 rpm HD too.