Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Stop trolling, Sid. :D
    :cool

And next time you ask someone what their experience is like, you might consider lowering your defensive Mac shields just a wee bit.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks, thought it was obvious.

Probably was. Didn't realize you bought an Airport as well. I thought you were talking about the Airport card in your lappy.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    :cool

And next time you ask someone what their experience is like, you might consider lowering your defensive Mac shields just a wee bit.

Sid, it's all good, at least on my end. You can trash Apple and your Mac all you want, just don't see the sense in blaming Apple for FF's install.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid, it's all good, at least on my end. You can trash Apple and your Mac all you want, just don't see the sense in blaming Apple for FF's install.
    Perfect example.

What on earth makes you think I'm trashing Apple or Macs? I forked over almost two grand to buy one of their machines. You asked for feedback, I gave an honest response.

That you see it as trashing Apples or Macs says much about you.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's become the default install at my office. I've not used it, but it's passed the test with the tech dept. Not much to lose there, Patch. It's free. If you dont' like it, you can try something else.

It's fugly, though. Very windows in its interface.

I will check it out on the G5, the intel version requires a donation for the next few weeks, then it too will be free.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Perfect example.

What on earth makes you think I'm trashing Apple or Macs? I forked over almost two grand to buy one of their machines. You asked for feedback, I gave an honest response.

That you see it as trashing Apples or Macs says much about you.

Oy. Sid... You said the downloading process was far from intuitive. You're looking for ways in which your computing experience on a Mac is different than your PC. Of course you're talking about the Mac.

Sorry if I ticked you off, just trying to help, and have a little fun with you along the way. Lighten up, Francis.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 9, 2006
    When I set up my home network with a D link router and wireless access point for my cable modem, it took me less than five minutes to set up my wireless access complete with WAP encoding for my PB. No one else even sees my wireless signal.

I run my Mini wirelessly the same way.

Using a Mac is different than a PC, Sid, expect a few changes. In a few weeks/ or months, you will forget all about PCs, and think that the MAC is intuitive. That has been my experience and I used PCs for the last 20 years. But no longer.

Having a bootable external FW drive full backup is so superior to a disc image stored somewhere, there is no comparision.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    NeoOffice is on the G5. I opened an xls file, created and saved a doc file. So far so good. I was able to print without a problem. This may be the solution I was looking for. Now only if Photoshop were open source. :D

I would take a look at it Sid. nod.gif Of course the Intel version is not quite as far along as the G5 version.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    NeoOffice is on the G5. I opened an xls file, created and saved a doc file. So far so good. I was able to print without a problem. This may be the solution I was looking for. Now only if Photoshop were open source. :D

I would take a look at it Sid. nod.gif Of course the Intel version is not quite as far along as the G5 version.

Glad to hear it's working out. I'm planning on installing it on my step-son's MacBook (when he finally gets it) before he goes off to college. Hopefully the Universal Binary will be up to snuff by then.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oy. Sid... You said the downloading process was far from intuitive. You're looking for ways in which your computing experience on a Mac is different than your PC. Of course you're talking about the Mac.

Sorry if I ticked you off, just trying to help, and have a little fun with you along the way. Lighten up, Francis.
    Ay, obviously I'm talking about the Mac. I'm not trashing it.

Tell you what: I'll not get pissed off, if you don't get defensive anytime someone points out that a Mac is sometimes less than a little slice of heaven.

Deal?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Tell you what: I'll not get pissed off, if you don't get defensive anytime someone points out that a Mac is sometimes less than a little slice of heaven.

Deal?

Deal. We could talk about the Finder. That's a little slice of hell, IMO. Not as hot and fiery as a PC, mebbe, but still hellacious. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    When I set up my home network with a D link router and wireless access point for my cable modem, it took me less than five minutes to set up my wireless access complete with WAP encoding for my PB. No one else even sees my wireless signal.

I run my Mini wirelessly the same way.

Tell me how. ear.gif
    pathfinder wrote:
    Using a Mac is different than a PC, Sid, expect a few changes. In a few weeks/ or months, you will forget all about PCs, and think that the MAC is intuitive. That has been my experience and I used PCs for the last 20 years. But no longer.

Naturally, I'm aware of that. But I have a sneaky suspicion you're extremely computer literate. The same, alas, cannot be said for me. I told David I should probably buy the Mac for Dummies book, makes perfect sense for someone with my weak skills.
    Sid.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I told David I should probably buy the Mac for Dummies book, makes perfect sense for someone with my weak skills.

it might be worth stopping by your local Apple store (or checking out apple.com/retail, I think) to see what classes they have available. Not that you're really a "dummy," but seeing someone familiar with the platform operate it might point out some of the "norms" that Mac people "just know" because they've done them so long and find "intuitive."
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 9, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Deal?
    MOD FIGHT!!!!
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Glad to hear it's working out. I'm planning on installing it on my step-son's MacBook (when he finally gets it) before he goes off to college. Hopefully the Universal Binary will be up to snuff by then.

I am debating spending a few bucks to try it early, the earlier you try the more it costs. eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    it might be worth stopping by your local Apple store (or checking out apple.com/retail, I think) to see what classes they have available. Not that you're really a "dummy," but seeing someone familiar with the platform operate it might point out some of the "norms" that Mac people "just know" because they've done them so long and find "intuitive."

wait a minute. I am trying to negotiate a steak dinner out of this deal. lol3.gif

There are three Apple stores local to Atlanta now. :D
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    There are three Apple stores local to Atlanta now. :D

you counting the new one at Perimiter? Hey Sid, maybe we can all meet there for a long lunch some day. :eat 'course, in no way would that take away from a steak dinner.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    you counting the new one at Perimiter? Hey Sid, maybe we can all meet there for a long lunch some day. :eat 'course, in no way would that take away from a steak dinner.

Yes, I have not been there yet. I can meet up there one day. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    I think I just figured out where someone will be with their laptop tomorrow. umph.gif
    Saturday, June 10th
    10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Getting Started Workshop
    Got a new Mac? Thinking about getting one? Learn how easy it is to use a Mac at the Getting Started Workshop. We’ll show you the basics, including setting up your new Mac, connecting to the web, sending email, importing and sharing photos, syncing music to your iPod, connecting a printer, and searching and organizing files. (Workshop)

Apple @ perimeter
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    MOD FIGHT!!!!
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Absolutely! That would be great.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Sid,

I'd also be happy to help via iChat or phone...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    lol3.gif

Hey, great link, very helpful, Patrick.

Can't do Saturday AM. That's reserved for England - Paraguay.

But they have the same session on Sunday from 12pm - 1pm. Then off to shoot GaTech baseball.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid,

I'd also be happy to help via iChat or phone...
    iChat? headscratch.gif

lol3.gif

Thanks David, I may take you up on that.
    Sid.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    We could talk about the Finder. That's a little slice of hell, IMO. Not as hot and fiery as a PC, mebbe, but still hellacious.
    .... but about to be completely replaced in 10.5 Leopard, isn't it?
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    .... but about to be completely replaced in 10.5 Leopard, isn't it?

Rumor has it...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Sid, the page is kinda messed up, you have to select the text to see it umph.gif, but this page might be helpful.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    The NeoOffice is getting aqua on the intel version, see it here. thumb.gif
  • Options