Sux.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sux.
    Or a vote of confidence in Apple's future.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Or a vote of confidence in Apple's future.

Doubt it. It's a cross-platform app. Started out on the Mac, but it's cross-platform.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    Peter Krogh of The DAM Book, has this to say about the MS acquisition of iView.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    10.4.7 did not fix the random airport dropout on my Macbook. It just happened again. umph.gif
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    10.4.7 did not fix the random airport dropout on my Macbook. It just happened again. umph.gif

Read this.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Peter Krogh of The DAM Book, has this to say about the MS acquisition of iView.
    Interesting. I understood about 2/3rds. What I still don't see is how it fits into my life. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Interesting. I understood about 2/3rds. What I still don't see is how it fits into my life. ne_nau.gif

It is for cataloging, so you can find images/media on your hard drives, DVDs, etc. It is a lot smaller and faster to work with than a lot of other programs. It can also be shared with other users.

I have not upgraded and not that MS is involved I don't know if I will. I actually have to pay full price to upgrade, that certainly is not going to keep my business. umph.gif
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I have read it and it does not solve my problem. 95+% of the time it is fine, somedays it just unselects my airport and does not pick any. I see about 15 networks at home, so I don't know if that is part of the issue. I do have mine selected as the preferred network. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    Sid,

RE: appledefects.com.

Interesting site, but what a glass half-empty approach!

Actually, the point of my post here is that I would personally spend more time on macfixit.com, which will discuss the same issues, but focus more on solutions. As in glass half-full!

Just didn't know if you knew about that one.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid,

RE: appledefects.com.

Interesting site, but what a glass half-empty approach!

Actually, the point of my post here is that I would personally spend more time on macfixit.com, which will discuss the same issues, but focus more on solutions. As in glass half-full!

Just didn't know if you knew about that one.
    lol3.gif

I only stumbled across the other one by accident. I don't dwell much on this stuff either way, I'm not a computer fan (or circuit board, for that matter.) Patch says i'm bad luck, and he may be right. lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif

I only stumbled across the other one by accident. I don't dwell much on this stuff either way, I'm not a computer fan (or circuit board, for that matter.) Patch says i'm bad luck, and he may be right. lol3.gif

Yeah, I know you don't...I almost didn't post, but I find macfixit.com to be a really good resource...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    macbook pro
    the macbook pro arrived today. So far so good, I have "the missing manual" beside me. First impression was "wow" when the magnetic power cord snapped into place.

email and internet working great, I'm sorting out the calender and downloading loads of widgets atm.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    the macbook pro arrived today...

Cool! thumb.gif

Let us know if you need any help.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Cool! thumb.gif

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks, will do. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Can you hear this?

http://www.jetcityorange.com/toys/17KHz.wav

Kids can, most grownups cannot.

No, but I can hear the 17K on this site. It also has several other frequencies. After that they must blend in with the ringing in my ears. :cry
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Don't know why I didn't post this sooner, but here's a really fun fact that had me absolutely baffled for a while. If you're using an 802.11b wi-fi connection with the 26 hex digit protection key, you must use a dollar sign as the first character in the password string on the mac.

If you don't, you'll be sitting there wondering why the @#$% your PC lappy right next to you can connect perfectly fine but your brand @#$%ing new MBP hottness can't even manage that simple task.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Don't know why I didn't post this sooner, but here's a really fun fact that had me absolutely baffled for a while. If you're using an 802.11b wi-fi connection with the 26 hex digit protection key, you must use a dollar sign as the first character in the password string on the mac.

If you don't, you'll be sitting there wondering why the @#$% your PC lappy right next to you can connect perfectly fine but your brand @#$%ing new MBP hottness can't even manage that simple task.

Or you can pull down the little dropdown to tell it you want to use a hex key. I didn't learn the dollar sign trick until yesterday, but I've been using ascii and/or hex keys for years to get different vendors' systems to interoperate.

What you're really doing in all of these cases is avoiding the password hash which, at least so far as I can tell, is done differently by every vendor. I sometimes wonder if that's deliberate to try to lock you into a single vendors' product line.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    I guess
    Mike Lane wrote:

.. it was written in Objective Pascal (or something similar that comes with Mach 3.0-based OS) and the coder was lame enough to use anything but standard issue StrToHex and did not even bother to strip all non-hex chars from the user's input..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    It just works...
    Or not. I just put some crucial ram in and when I went back to turn my MBP on it wouldn't. I was careful, I followed the directions (besides it's not that hard to add ram), I did everything like I was supposed to. Now when I hit the power button I get the CD drive sound and what sounds like some air blowing and a blinking sleep light (not fading in and out, but blinking on and off) and that's it.

Super.... Any suggestions?

• Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Or not. I just put some crucial ram in and when I went back to turn my MBP on it wouldn't. I was careful, I followed the directions (besides it's not that hard to add ram), I did everything like I was supposed to. Now when I hit the power button I get the CD drive sound and what sounds like some air blowing and a blinking sleep light (not fading in and out, but blinking on and off) and that's it.

Super.... Any suggestions?

Yeah, seat the RAM properly. It's a hard push.

If you've done that, take the RAM out, it's bad.

It's gonna be one or the other. Either you didn't get it in right, or it's bad to begin with.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    I took it out, it started. so I shut it down and re-inserted it and now it works. must have just not seated it right.

PHEW!

• Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I took it out, it started. so I shut it down and re-inserted it and now it works. must have just not seated it right.

PHEW!

That's REALLY common with first time Mac RAM seaters. The pressure required throws them off. Although I don't see why a RAM slot would be different on a Mac, it seems to be...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    This article tells you about the errors you'll get if you have bad/improperly seated RAM.

And here's an explanation of the startup sequence.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's REALLY common with first time Mac RAM seaters. The pressure required throws them off. Although I don't see why a RAM slot would be different on a Mac, it seems to be...

I guess I popped my ram seating cherry lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I guess I popped my ram seating cherry lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
    it happened to me, back on page 3 or 4 of this thread lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I would rather put the $250 towards my next Macbook, which wxwax told me I will be buying in two years.

What is this two years you speak of? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I love the plucking violin music.