Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    yes david, we get it. you iloveyou.gif everything mac. GEEZ! :D

NOW, when are we going to convert you to one of the good guys?

*sigh*

*sigh*

The Mighty Mouse is the first mouse I've ever used, and the only one that I know of that has horizontal scrolling. In video editing, I find it very useful. I've always hated Apple mice and have replaced them immediately. For me, this one's different, and as I said, if it weren't for the video editing I wouldn't waste my time or money on it, I don't think.

As for FF. Yeah, seen that. I'm just way to tied in to syncing on .Mac. Contacts, calendars, bookmarks, Mail, Keychain, and mail account rules.... all that's too cool for me. That and the RSS implementation in Safari, and FF gets put on the back burner as the browser I use to check out how things look in FF. With it getting that little use, I can suffer through its fugliness.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 26, 2006
    no need for sigh

i know you're a lost cause, i'm just yankin' you.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    no need for sigh

i know you're a lost cause, i'm just yankin' you.

I'm not *THAT* lost.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    Hey, is iecapture old news? Allows you to preview pages in IE7.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hey, is iecapture old news? Allows you to preview pages in IE7.
    cool, just like safaritest

it's new to me, but i have IE7 so i wouldnt have been looking anyways.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    My Macbook has begun to experience sudden shutdown. I am working on trying to find a cause, but a quick search turns up some big problems, info here and here. I see a trip to the Apple store in my future. It has been working so well. I am also experiencing discoloration too. :cry

I guess I will be buying the Applecare after all. umph.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    My Macbook has begun to experience sudden shutdown. I am working on trying to find a cause, but a quick search turns up some big problems, info here and here. I see a trip to the Apple store in my future. It has been working so well. I am also experiencing discoloration too. :cry

I guess I will be buying the Applecare after all. umph.gif
    Dang. I better buy Applecare too.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Dang. I better buy Applecare too.

ALWAYS a wise move, IMO.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Macbook 17" is HOT

I mean the temp. I'm not gonna have to go get the snip snip afterall lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Macbook 17" is HOT

note to self, never use andy's keyboard.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I have to say that for video editing, the Mighty Mouse is fantastic. I love the horizontal scrolling, and I use it on my timeline all the time.

If I weren't using it for editing, I would probably feel differently about it, though.
    I've had a mighty mouse in my drawer, still shrunk-wrapped. I brought it with me this week, to use with my Macbook. I actually like it, more than I thought I would. I still MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the larger, form-fitting Logitech wireless I use on my G5 Quad, but the horizontal scrolling is niiiiiiice. If they could make a form-fitting model of this I'd be down for that!
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I've had a mighty mouse in my drawer, still shrunk-wrapped. I brought it with me this week, to use with my Macbook. I actually like it, more than I thought I would. I still MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the larger, form-fitting Logitech wireless I use on my G5 Quad, but the horizontal scrolling is niiiiiiice. If they could make a form-fitting model of this I'd be down for that!

Yeah, most people don't have as much use for horizontal scrolling as I do, what with the timelines I'm working on all the time, but when you need it, it's very nice.

BTW, any scroll wheel can scroll horizontally on the Mac, if you hold down the shift key while doing it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    How hot? I had a dell notebook which I couldn't use on my lap without some sort of insulation or it would scald me. That hot?
    Andy wrote:
    Macbook 17" is HOT

If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    How hot? I had a dell notebook which I couldn't use on my lap without some sort of insulation or it would scald me. That hot?
    Yeah that hot. I use it for short periods with nothing under it, but if I'm gonna lap it for a while, I will use a small pillow or a copy of Rolling Stone underneath it ... need a large size magazine :D
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah that hot. I use it for short periods with nothing under it, but if I'm gonna lap it for a while, I will use a small pillow or a copy of Rolling Stone underneath it ... need a large size magazine :D

*sigh* Sounds like my wife will have to wait for that powerbook until the second generation 17" macbook. Perhaps that Core 2 Duo will really be 40% cooler.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    *sigh* Sounds like my wife will have to wait for that powerbook until the second generation 17" macbook. Perhaps that Core 2 Duo will really be 40% cooler.
    I can't imagine that, but what do I know.
    It's not like it's HORRIBLE, it's just a bit warm. Rolling Stone is a cheap add-on :D
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I can't imagine that, but what do I know.
    It's not like it's HORRIBLE, it's just a bit warm. Rolling Stone is a cheap add-on :D

I loved, I mean LOVED, it when I lost that hot Dell machine. On a warm day, well it could actually hurt. Not to mention the ruined pants from sweat stains.

Google for "core 2 duo macbook". Seems like a big upgrade is pretty close.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I loved, I mean LOVED, it when I lost that hot Dell machine. On a warm day, well it could actually hurt. Not to mention the ruined pants from sweat stains.

Google for "core 2 duo macbook". Seems like a big upgrade is pretty close.
    What's this "Waiting" of which you speak? lol3.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    iweb
    I have ceated a website : site with iweb and have added a links page to the site. the links page looks ok in iweb but when I publish it to a folder or upload the page via ftp I can't navigate to this page headscratch.gif I know I am doing something stupid and would appreciate any help,

thanks,

seamus.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    sorted !!!!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    I may have passed a mental barrier of sorts overnight. I've always used PCs, got a new Macbook a few weeks ago.

With help from dgrin friends (thanks! wave.gif ) I have Office:mac installed, which has removed the fear of incompabiity with work documents.

And I've been playing with different browers (Firefox, Opera, Safari) which has eased my internet fears. Ditto with flip4mac's .wmv converter, which seems to work well.

And I've downloaded a few small programs. And I think that's been the tipping point. The ease with which a Mac installs a program (just drag it to the Applications folder within the little pop-up window) and the ease with which it uninstalls programs (drag them from Applications to the trash) is seductively easy.

I'm starting to feel comfortable with the notion of an all Mac universe.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I may have passed a mental barrier of sorts overnight. I've always used PCs, got a new Macbook a few weeks ago.

With help from dgrin friends (thanks! wave.gif ) I have Office:mac installed, which has removed the fear of incompabiity with work documents.

And I've been playing with different browers (Firefox, Opera, Safari) which has eased my internet fears. Ditto with flip4mac's .wmv converter, which seems to work well.

And I've downloaded a few small programs. And I think that's been the tipping point. The ease with which a Mac installs a program (just drag it to the Applications folder within the little pop-up window) and the ease with which it uninstalls programs (drag them from Applications to the trash) is seductively easy.

I'm starting to feel comfortable with the notion of an all Mac universe.

clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    ... a Mac ... is seductively easy.

nod.gif

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, most people don't have as much use for horizontal scrolling as I do, what with the timelines I'm working on all the time, but when you need it, it's very nice.

BTW, any scroll wheel can scroll horizontally on the Mac, if you hold down the shift key while doing it.

I actually paid for a Mighty Mouse, and love the "pea" which feels like an iPod wheel. And enjoy the horizontal scrolling in PS CS.
    It's a touch big for my hand, but that's the gender diff. I love having the side buttons pop the application switcher, and pressing the pea pops Dashboard. The right button, I like having it on but still have some clients that can't handle having a 2 button mouse!
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Holy crap that's weird, I can't seem to get dgrin to accept a : and a capital D.

umph.gif

Yer not l33t
    :D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    TubeSock sucks YouTube videos and loads them on your iPod, PSP or Mac. Pretty cool.

And on a completely unrelated note, how is it that Intuit can release Quicken 2007 and not make it Universal? What is wrong with these people? Ooooh, it's got a widget. Big Deal.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yer not l33t

l33t-18821.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    :uhoh
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    Sid,
    wxwax wrote:
    l33t-18821.jpg
    This is awesome! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    l33t-18821.jpg

So that's what I need? OK - I saw it on Dgrin so it must be true!