Options

Need GPS/GeoTagging advice

Phatman113Phatman113 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited June 7, 2009 in Accessories
Hey everybody,

I've been looking for a GPS device that will let me easily GeoCode my pictures. I've found a couple of devices but I've heard that the SiRFstar III is the chipset to use.

Does anyone have suggestions about what they use or what they've seen that works well?

The big device I've seen is the Sony GPS-CS1
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=GPSCS1
But it doesn't appear to be SiRFstar III

The next big one is called "I-GotU" made by www.mobileaction.com which has the SiRFstar III chipset, but it doesn't appear that Mobile Action has it on their website. (If you google "I-GotU" you should find some info on it though)

I found a review on GPS Passion that confirms that SiRFstar III is a good chipset and has a few links and lists a few receivers, but I'd like to hear some input from people who may or may not be using this exactly the way that I want to...
http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=1

I'd appreciate any information or input that anybody has!

Thanks!
~Ryan
http://phatman113.smugmug.com
Canon Digital Rebel XTi :lust
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM lens :lust
- Kit lens...:cry

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I've been looking at these as well. THe one I have found that I will probably get is called the GlobalSat DG-100 for $86!

Features
    SiRF StarIII chipset 20 channels.
    Allowing user to store up to 60000 points.
    Two NiMh batteries for more than 20 hours continuous operation.
    USB interface.
    Power On/Off button for easy use.
    Three preset saving intervals (Time/Distance) can be selected by slide switch.
    Three LEDs to show the status of GPS, battery and memory.
    MMCX port for external GPS antenna.
    USB G-mouse function.
    Configuration Wizard helps you to quickly make the configuration.

There are other ones out there that do things like automatically turning on and off based on motion. So if it detects no change in location for 30 seconds it turns off, then when it detects motion turns back on. I'm still trying to find one of these that is under $100!
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Qstarz BT-Q1000 - This one is a little larger but it seems to have an even better chipset, it has Auto On/Off, and it can act as a Bluetooth GPS Nav unit in addition to it's log only capabilities. This one is $90.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited October 30, 2007
    There are a number of free/shareware software packages that allow you to
    use almost any GPS that connects to a computer. So long as you stick with a
    major manufacturer; Garmin, Magellan, etc. I think you'd be fine regardless
    of chipset.

[url=hrrp://www.jobo.com/]Jobo[/url] makes a similar device that fits on the hot shoe of your camera.

The benefit to using something like the Garmin is that you're not limited to
    taking photos. You can also use it to navigate. That's also one of the disadvantages.
    It's bigger than a purpose built device.

For those less familiar, the way a package works is by first sync'ing
    your camera with the GPS unit (same time). With the GPS on, fire away
    with the camera. As long as the GPS is on while you are shooting, you'll
    have coordinates to use once you transfer the images to the computer.
    The software then matches the time stamps from your GPS track to the
    acquisition time for each shot updating the image with GPS coordinates.
    Smugmug users will be happy to note this works pretty well with Smugmug.
    Works with other photo sharing sites too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Yeah, I've already got a Garmin c350 for my car, I'm looking for something small and light that I can just keep with my camera for geotagging purposes only.

On the subject of syncing, is there a way to check the clocks of GPS devices? or is there software to help with the sync? I really haven't gotten any farther than just starting to look, so if this is a dumb or obvious question feel free to tell me to look it up myself. :D

Thanks again for your input guys!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Phatman113 wrote:
    Yeah, I've already got a Garmin c350 for my car, I'm looking for something small and light that I can just keep with my camera for geotagging purposes only.

On the subject of syncing, is there a way to check the clocks of GPS devices? or is there software to help with the sync? I really haven't gotten any farther than just starting to look, so if this is a dumb or obvious question feel free to tell me to look it up myself. :D

Thanks again for your input guys!

I have been using a Garamin ETrex for my geotagging....it is small and light weight....as for the clocks .....it allows me to set the time which I do before going out with it as I never keep batteries in it while it is not in use....so I try to match my cameras clsock as close as possble as this is how the freeware I use matches and ones it is embeded I can't find a way to make changes............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited October 30, 2007
    The satellites that provide signal for GPS also provide the time. So your GPS
    is always correct. Of course, you have to pick the correct timezone :D

You can sometimes sync your camera to your PC and your PC to a standard
    time source (Windows does this for you if you'll let it).

If worst comes to worst, you can sync your camera to a cellphone--if you've
    picked "network time".
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I'm still trying to find one of these that is under $100!
    Word of advice, you get what you pay for... mwink.gif

I found this site useful before I finally got mine: http://gpsmagazine.com/
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Word of advice, you get what you pay for... mwink.gif

I found this site useful before I finally got mine: http://gpsmagazine.com/

What's your setup?
    Mac/PC?
    Camera attached GPS or standalone?
    What software do you use to pair the photos w/ the gps info?

Mostly, how's it working out for you? Is it something you do with every photo cause it's so easy, or is it just the ones you want to map out?

I just had a thought about this, but I don't think it'll make much difference, someone please confirm this for me! headscratch.gif

I take my shots in RAW (.CR2 off my camera), I'm going to want to pair my .jpg photos with the GPS data, not the RAW shots, right? I haven't seen the 'date taken' property on the RAW photos, but it seems to be accurate on the .jpgs.

Thanks for the input, I really want to get a GPS logger now, but I think I'll see what Santa has up his sleeve for me first... mwink.gif
  • Options
    nmhnmh Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Phatman113 wrote:
    What's your setup?
    Mac/PC?
    Camera attached GPS or standalone?
    What software do you use to pair the photos w/ the gps info?

Mostly, how's it working out for you? Is it something you do with every photo cause it's so easy, or is it just the ones you want to map out?

Presuming these questions are also for passers by, I use unix and macos. None of my camera will talk to a GPS unit (and I don't have the big cables). I sync the time and the start and finish, and then add the gps exif tags in post (using GPSPhotoLinker).

It works well enough - but it is important to get the time right! Part of my process is to bring up the screen with the time display (on the GPS unit) and take a picture of it with the camera, for record keeping. It is really neat for pictures that are spread out (trip, ride, walk, etc...). It is rather useless for pictures that are all taken in the same spot (or inside a radio shielded building). I just add the gps info to pictures that would benefit from it immediately before I post them online (since I have map integration setup).
    Phatman113 wrote:
    I just had a thought about this, but I don't think it'll make much difference, someone please confirm this for me! headscratch.gif

I take my shots in RAW (.CR2 off my camera), I'm going to want to pair my .jpg photos with the GPS data, not the RAW shots, right? I haven't seen the 'date taken' property on the RAW photos, but it seems to be accurate on the .jpgs.
    As I mentioned above, I do the linking after everything else. You should be able to get the timestamp (and other exif data) near the end of whatever postprocessing you do.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Just need some advice. I'm looking for a decent GPS logger, and there are a ton out there. I'm specifically looking at ones here:

http://www.semsons.com/datalogger.html

Has anyone used any of these and can make a reccomendation?

Thanks!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Anyone using a Trackstick? ear.gif
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    First I have seen of that Andy, but it seems to be priced at more than a simple Garmin eTrex, which works perfectly for this use, and also is a full fledged GPS device (you know, if you get lost and stuff).

I have messed around with a Garmin eTrex Legend ($100-$150) and WWMX client (sorry Windows only, but run it in a VM). Works fine. The software will download your tracks from the eTrex, and you tell it which pictures to geotag, and it will match the time shot with the time on the GPS, inputting in your location at that time.

I don't do much with it, just was seeing if it worked. Having hundreds of photos within 20 ft of each other wasn't all that interesting. I have done it for a few travel photos, but I don't often bring the GPS when traveling, since it doesnt have maps.

I also have a Garmin Nuvi 350, but it does not record tracks, so it is useless for this.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    On a Mac I use GPS Photo Linker, which was just updated to be compatible with Leopard. No need for Windows! mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    First I have seen of that Andy, but it seems to be priced at more than a simple Garmin eTrex, which works perfectly for this use, and also is a full fledged GPS device (you know, if you get lost and stuff).

I'm thinking Tracks only - I don't get lost :) The idea is, small and portable and tiny.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    On a Mac I use GPS Photo Linker, which was just updated to be compatible with Leopard. No need for Windows! mwink.gif
    See any reason why Trackstick wouldn't work with GPS Photo Linker?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    See any reason why Trackstick wouldn't work with GPS Photo Linker?

Looks like they both use GPX files, so, uh, no, can't see any reason why not. What I want to know is if that would mean it would work with a Mac, as far as retrieving and synching your tracks with images. I mean, TrackStick says it's not Mac compatible, but maybe it doesn't matter if you're using GPS Photo Linker? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    I found this review of the TrackStick.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I found this review of the TrackStick.
    Bleh. Sounds like the mfgrs aren't there yet.

I WANT a small leetle thing that looks like the trackstick. Or smaller. Record tracks. Sync up with photo files. Boom-done.

Kinda like what Canon & Nikon should be PUTTING IN THE DAMN CAMERAS by now :pissed
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Kinda like what Canon & Nikon should be PUTTING IN THE DAMN CAMERAS by now :pissed

Yeah agree...

btw, an etrex is about the size of a cellphone, ...not as small as a USB stick, but small enough for you not to notice it in your camera bag
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Yeah agree...

btw, an etrex is about the size of a cellphone, ...not as small as a USB stick, but small enough for you not to notice it in your camera bag

Mine doesn't work IN THE BAG. It's pretty finicky, and is the thing I like least about it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Yeah agree...

I already have a Garmin 60csx or whatever.... that's too big :)
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I already have a Garmin 60csx or whatever.... that's too big :)

yeah that one is a beast...

odd, mine works fine in the bag..works in my bow bag on my kayak too?
  • Options
    blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Wow, it looks like GPSPhotoLinker supports RAW, now. Nice. I didn't think that'd be possible. Time to go dig out my old eTrex Vista! I'm still wary of modifying RAW files, but if GPSPhotoLinker proves to actually work, I'll find a way to merge it into my automated import workflow.

Now to see if he can implement Automator support...
  • Options
    midnight821midnight821 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 4, 2008
    I've had an Earthmate bluetooth gps unit for a couple of years now. It's fairly small (about 3" x .5" x 1.5-2" or so) and you can usually throw it just about anywhere. You can use bluetooth or usb on the newer models. I've really enjoyed the ability to use it with bluetooth to connect to my laptop/tablet, pda, or whatever. Other manufacturers make bluetooth capable gps units as well.

Using a laptop or PDA with it gives the ability to use many different pieces of software with it live. I use iGuidance on the laptop/tablet/pda for driving and it's a great piece of software. The downside is always having to update software, bluetooth connection problems, etc. I've never done any photo gps tagging with it or the logs I can get from it though. I'm actually looking for a more all-in-one unit that is decent in size like a Garmin Colorado, but that is way out of price range. Are there any other all-in-one units that would be good for driving directions, photo tagging, general hiking, etc?

The RoboGEO software looks very nifty and useful for exporting tagged photos to all kinds of programs (Google Earth, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, etc).
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    My interest in geotagging was rekindled after reading this thread, so I went hunting and found this blog..

http://www.toastboy.co.uk/2007/06/13/tagging-photos-with-gps-using-a-windows-mobile-pda/

This pretty much covers exactly what I wanted to do, even citing the same pda / nav software I use. The recommended tagging and sync software works well, not only inserting Lat/long/elevation data into RAW file EXIF, but also adding the location name into the keywords field.. e.g. "1.69 Km to Castlecary in United Kingdom".

Oh, and it's free! clap.gif
  • Options
    wizzywizzy Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Well, i went for a GPL700 from Gisteq. Also known as the PhotoTrackr Lite. Just got it this morning, and it works like a charm. Not too big. The supplied software is Windows (XP and Vista) only i fear, but it does the job for me.

The software even has a SmuMug interface for uploading the tagged photo's.

http://http://www.gisteq.com/PhotoTrackrLite.php
  • Options
    rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    My setup is to use my GPSMAP 60csx and my D80. I leave the GPS in the bag once it acquires satellites. With the bag I use it actually keeps a good strong lock. I am usually carrying my GPS anyway just for the fact that I often go snowshoeing while it is snowing to get some good winter pictures and the trail seems to disappear after a couple hours.

When I get home I use JetPhoto Studio to tag the pictures. It downloads the tracks right off the GPS itself and then tags them. Easy upload to Flickr, but I just drag and drop them onto smugmug and it works flawlessly.

I do agree though. If they can put a GPS into a car, a cell phone, a baby jesus statue and a memory stick, why can't they just put it into an SLR which already costs over a grand and allow for easy geotagging of pictures!

Just my 0.02

Robert
  • Options
    canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Mine doesn't work IN THE BAG. It's pretty finicky, and is the thing I like least about it.

What model of eTrex? I was using a 60cs for a while, which in addition to being a brick, was also very finicky. Not only would it lose a signal if it was in my jacket pocket, it also lost the signal near tall buildings, or even near low buildings if the street was narrow.

The good news is that I just bought an eTrex Vista Hcx and so far it reception seems top-notch. I haven't shot yet, but I have been carrying it around for a few days to see what conditions would make it lose its signal, and so far it has been great. It even gets a signal in a wndowless interior hallway of my apartment building, and in an interior hallway in my office building, at least in sections of the hallway that are within 40-50 feet of a window.

It seems like the latest generation of Garmin with the 'x' designation for high-sensitivity (60 Csx, Vista Hcx, Legend Hcx) really are a spectacular improvement over the previous generation.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2008
    I just bought the GPL700 from Gisteq, we'll see how well it does!

I couldn't tell from the reviews, but I hope this will record elevation as well... ne_nau.gif
    Wizzy, You've got one of these, does it give you elevation information, or just lat/long?

I'll let everybody know what I think when it arrives!thumb.gif
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Has anyone used any of these and can make a reccomendation?

Thanks!

I'm late to the thread but I did a heap of research and bought the Amod GPS logger a few months ago, I really like it. http://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos.html

Why?

-It's one of the best for mac support, surprisingly few of these devices work with mac OSX. This one mounts as a drive and you can pull the files straight off.
    -It's cheap. Only $65
    -It writes standard log files.
    -The AAA batteries last for ages on one charge. I mostly use it when I'm traveling so being able to get batteries everywhere is great.
    -it has the sirf III chip and gives pretty accurate data. It's powerful enough to get a track from inside a jet on a trans-pacific flight.
    -it's small and light and straps onto my bag easily

Cons....

-I'd like some control over how often it logs. every sec is too often most of the time, although with 128Mb memory that's about 70 hrs of logs, thats enough I find for a 10 day trip.
    -Having an automatic off/on based on movement (as some of the devices have) would be good too
    -an lcd with the gps time readout on the device would help for setting the camera clock, although syncing the camera with the computer gets the time within 10 sec between the gps and the camera.

Software wise, I use the open source GPSBabel to open the tracks and convert them to KML files for viewing in google earth. It has some nice filtering to get the file size down.

For the Geotagging I use Houdah Geo. I drag my raw files onto it and then open the gps track file straight from the device. I've got it set to write out xmp sidecar files that then get automatically imported to lightroom when you import the images. Simple :D
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]