Options

Need GPS/GeoTagging advice

Comments

• Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Just got my Gisteq DPL700 Phototrackr Lite. I've got several other full-size GPS for navigation, and interfacing it directly to my cameras wasn't an immediate concern. It seems like a decent GPS for what I need.

I posted my initial impressions, >>here<<.
  • Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Yikes!
    Hey Everybody--

Since reading about the Jobo PhotoGPS a few months ago, I have been looking for an efficient (make that brain dead, fully automatic) way to build GPS info into my metadata. I've just read every thread in this series, and I have a couple questions:

If Nikon can do this, why can't Canon? I am very jealous.

My more serious question:

Of all the solutions that you all have tried, which is going to be the most efficient for my set-up, which is two Canon bodies, and a Mac computer? I've read mixed reviews here of just about all the geo-trackers, and almost no positive reviews of compatibility with Macs. If you were going to spend say $300 (but not more than than) on this capability, how would you do it? Or is it better to wait for the manufacturers to get their stuff together first?
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    You can connect a gps to the Canon 40D and the 1DMk3/1DsMk3 via the wireless transmitter. (I see you have the 1D from your profile)

http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/wft/wft-e2/index.html

If you don't have one of those I reccomend the Amod Gps and Houdah Geo software (see my other post in this thread as to why)
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    mackidbrendanmackidbrendan Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    you could get the new iPhone, it has 3G, gps and geotagging
    http://www.brendanryder.com

Use coupon code 4MdT6vueeZfpQ to save 5$ on a smugmug account
  • Options
    rla1022rla1022 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Just Found this
    I Have a TOMTOM 720 and just found out that there are several apps out there. The app i installed is called event logger. It is from here http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/

It installs apps on the TomTom to work with storing the GPS coords. Really Really Cool app. Anyway it generates an xml file that can be imported in to http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/articles/progeotagging.aspx

That tool will save the GPS coordinates into the EXIf
    Here is a sample MAP
    http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=5153828_4udsA

Anyone wants anymore help let me know. Im just starting to GEO TAG STUFF MYSELF
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Jogle, I'm going to take your advice. Looks like you're leaps and bounds ahead of me on this. I just ordered the Amod, and will download Houdah when I get the GPS (and have taken some photos worthy of geo-tagging!).

Thanks a million. I'll let you know how it works out. :)
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Update on Amod and HoudahGeo
    In a word, this combination rocks!

I wanted to share my experience with you all in the hopes it would be of use to others with questions on geotagging.

First, I used Jogle's advice, and bought the Amod AGL 3080 tracker, as well as the HoudahGeo software to apply geotags to images.

I had set aside most of a morning to learn how to make all this work, but it was dead simple. I put 3 batteries in the Amod, clipped the thing to my camera bag (it's pretty tiny, about the size of three of my fingers), and turned it on. I went on a photo shoot that lasted about 3 hours, pretty much forgetting the Amod was there.

When I got home, I downloaded the HoudahGeo software, and set myself up for a steep learning curve and some frustration. Ten minutes later, I had my images tagged, and that's all there was to it. One slight wrinkle: I use Aperture, and so I need to tag the images before they're in Aperture. I devised a simple work-around. I import the files from my 1K Mk III into Aperture, export them as 'master' files into a folder on my desktop, drop those files into HoudahGeo, and then re-import them into Aperture. This might be a couple more steps than someone else can devise, but it's very simple, and doesn't contain many points at which I can mess up.

So, that's my experience, thanks to Jogle.

If anyone is contemplating geotagging, and has any questions, I'd be glad to tell you more. My biggest point, though, is that this might seem complicated, but it is not in the least hard, or a hassle.
  • Options
    HockeyFanHockeyFan Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    This topic was (and is) of great interest to me. Ever since reading about Geotagging, I've been interested. I did a little initial research and became frustrated that there weren't any easy answers (at least not for my Canon Rebel XTi). Apart from a camera manufacturer or two, there weren't any clear "winners" in my book. And there appeared not to have any seamless (or near so) solutions.
    I had been looking at the Amod model, but hadn't made the purchase yet, because I didn't have enough information on how easy this solution would be. I am glad for previous posts regarding the Amod and seeing how easy it works, I'm now looking to make this purchase. I've recently started a new job, so I'll be waiting for a couple of paychecks and then I'll probably do it (unless I see a better solution between now and then).
    I'm attracted to the Amod solution because of how small the unit is, and if memory serves, this one was also reasonably priced.
    The only gotcha I've understood with any of these is that you have to make reasonably sure that the camera clock is set the same as the GPS, so that the importing software can correlate the right GPS settings to the right photos. I am curious how much of this was necessary with the Amod and Houdah Geo software.
    Canon EOS Rebel XTi (EF 75-300mm, EFS 18-55mm)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/les_stockton/collections/

Earth Home Construction Project Site: Stockton Underground
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Cheap, and easy
    Hockeyfan, I think I paid about $65 for the Amod unit. Not bad at all. The software was another $40.

As far as syncing the clock, I just made sure the camera clock was on the right minute. I didn't worry about getting it to the second. I am sure I could by hitting 'reset' on the camera as my computer clocked clicked over, but a difference of a few seconds isn't critical to what I'm doing.

Like I said, if you do decide to do this, and have any questions, I'll be glad to share the little bit I have learned.

Next up for me: Sorting out how to sync the geo info with the map feature on Smugmug!
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Next up for me: Sorting out how to sync the geo info with the map feature on Smugmug!

That part is easy. Just upload your pictures, in your gallery turn "geography" on, then click the "map this" button.

My girlfriend took a ton of "out the window" pictures on our vacation. I used my Garmin 496 and Gisteq DPL700 to record tracks, and Geosetter to geocode/tag the images. Smugmug put 'em all on the map without any problems at all:

Gallery
    Map
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    HockeyFan wrote:
    ....snip....
    The only gotcha I've understood with any of these is that you have to make reasonably sure that the camera clock is set the same as the GPS, so that the importing software can correlate the right GPS settings to the right photos. I am curious how much of this was necessary with the Amod and Houdah Geo software.

Even if you are in a car or boat and want to be accurate to under a minute or so, you can set a number of seconds offset (+ or -) when tagging the photos in HoudahGeo.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    That 150 pin limit
    Thanks!

I did stumble across this, but then ran into another hurdle. In my first outing with the Amod, I took a few hundred shots of runners. I geo-tagged them all, then posted the gallery for the runners to see. With the 'map this' option on, Smugmug tries to map all the shots, which wasn't super helpful. I would like to be able to geo-tag a gallery, or maybe just a designated photo within it, so that it creates just one map pin. I've suggested this to Smugmug--here's hoping this feature comes to be.
    That part is easy. Just upload your pictures, in your gallery turn "geography" on, then click the "map this" button.

My girlfriend took a ton of "out the window" pictures on our vacation. I used my Garmin 496 and Gisteq DPL700 to record tracks, and Geosetter to geocode/tag the images. Smugmug put 'em all on the map without any problems at all:

Gallery
    Map
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Alright GPSers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooo, what's new ear.gif

I still want a tiny little device that will record my tracks, that I can synch up to my photos (on a Mac).

Is my iPhone 3g that I'll be getting soon gonna be my best bet? ear.gif

Is there something else out there that I'm missing?
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Alright GPSers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooo, what's new ear.gif

I still want a tiny little device that will record my tracks, that I can synch up to my photos (on a Mac).

Is my iPhone 3g that I'll be getting soon gonna be my best bet? ear.gif

Is there something else out there that I'm missing?
    ne_nau.gifhttp://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos.html
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Amod & HoudahGeo work for me
    Andy, the Amod unit is pretty small--you clip it on your camera bag, and forget it's there. The HoudahGeo works extremely well on a Mac. I love this combo, and I thank Jogle for suggesting it.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Andy, the Amod unit is pretty small--you clip it on your camera bag, and forget it's there. The HoudahGeo works extremely well on a Mac. I love this combo, and I thank Jogle for suggesting it.
    OK, the Mac connection to the Amod/Houdah combo is getting me zero'ed in here, but I have never before now had a need for geo-tracking so would you please indulge me on how this hardware/software combo interfaces with my shooting when I am out in the middle of nowhere (as I soon may be)? A link to pre-existing basic info would be just as good. Thanks very much!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    KED wrote:
    OK, the Mac connection to the Amod/Houdah combo is getting me zero'ed in here, but I have never before now had a need for geo-tracking so would you please indulge me on how this hardware/software combo interfaces with my shooting when I am out in the middle of nowhere (as I soon may be)? A link to pre-existing basic info would be just as good. Thanks very much!
    Your camera's clock has to be synced as closely as possible to the clock on the gps(which of course is synced with the satellite)......it doesnot have to be perfect but very close and this is what the softwares out there look for on your exif ...................thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Your camera's clock has to be synced as closely as possible to the clock on the gps (which of course is synced with the satellite)

Satelites are always synced to GMT (Greenwich mean time) time.
    You can sync your camera manualy to it with this: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Surprisingly Easy
    Ked, I thought this would be a big hassle, too. It's not, though. Just get the Amod unit, pop in the batteries, turn it on, and clip it to your camera bad. When you get back home, import the geo log file the Amod has created, and then use Houdah to sync that data to your photos. This is an overview, but the actual steps aren't that much more complicated. Oh, BTW, the Amod unit is about $65, so it's not that pricey, either.
    KED wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Ked, I thought this would be a big hassle, too. It's not, though. Just get the Amod unit, pop in the batteries, turn it on, and clip it to your camera bad. When you get back home, import the geo log file the Amod has created, and then use Houdah to sync that data to your photos. This is an overview, but the actual steps aren't that much more complicated. Oh, BTW, the Amod unit is about $65, so it's not that pricey, either.
    Wow -- I think I could handle that!
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Adding geo tags
    Ked, if you're using Aperture and shooting in raw, there are a couple fancy steps you can do to make the geo-tagging smoother. Let me know if you want to talk about what I figured out with this combo.
    KED wrote:
    Wow -- I think I could handle that!
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Ked, if you're using Aperture and shooting in raw, there are a couple fancy steps you can do to make the geo-tagging smoother. Let me know if you want to talk about what I figured out with this combo.
    I abandoned Aperture in favor of Lightroom, but if your tips are interchangeable for both, please clue me in, as I do shoot in RAW!

PS have purchased Houdah tonight and, like all my experiences with Digital River, cannot download it. ne_nau.gif I am used to this by now and don't have an immediate need, but it does become wearisome.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    I haven't used Lightroom yet, but here's what I need to do in Aperture: To get the tags on the image itself, rather than the preview, I import files into Aperture, export the masters, pull those into Houdah, sync them with the geo tag, then reimport them into Aperture. This sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. I wish I could apply the Houdah tags directly, but I don't think that Aperture will do that for me. Sorry I don't know anything about the process in LR. . .
    KED wrote:
    I abandoned Aperture in favor of Lightroom, but if your tips are interchangeable for both, please clue me in, as I do shoot in RAW!

PS have purchased Houdah tonight and, like all my experiences with Digital River, cannot download it. ne_nau.gif I am used to this by now and don't have an immediate need, but it does become wearisome.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    The process is MUCH simpler with Lightroom.

download your raw files from the card to a folder, drag and drop those files onto Houdah. Load your track log and let it do it's thing.

When exporting from Houdah, choose the .xmp sidecar option. This writes little .xmp files into the same folder as your photos live. The raw files don't get modified.

Then import the raws into Lightroom as usual. It will recognise the .xmp files belong to the photos and automatically include the geo data when importing.
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    Hmm. . . I think you can do it this way in Ap, too, but I guess I am in the rut of importing into Ap. Either way, I'm loving the Amods/Houdah combo.

Good luck!
    jogle wrote:
    The process is MUCH simpler with Lightroom.

download your raw files from the card to a folder, drag and drop those files onto Houdah. Load your track log and let it do it's thing.

When exporting from Houdah, choose the .xmp sidecar option. This writes little .xmp files into the same folder as your photos live. The raw files don't get modified.

Then import the raws into Lightroom as usual. It will recognise the .xmp files belong to the photos and automatically include the geo data when importing.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2008
    I haven't used Lightroom yet, but here's what I need to do in Aperture: To get the tags on the image itself, rather than the preview, I import files into Aperture, export the masters, pull those into Houdah, sync them with the geo tag, then reimport them into Aperture. This sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. I wish I could apply the Houdah tags directly, but I don't think that Aperture will do that for me. Sorry I don't know anything about the process in LR. . .
    LR and Aperture seem to be converging in terms of workflow and UI; after I posted this I kept searching and found an article on how to do this with LR, and without having dug all the way into it yet I think it's more or less the same approach. I don't want to adopt a whole new import technique which is I am strongly inclined toward this workflow. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2008
    Hey Charles! I am now the owner of both HoudahGeo and the Amod, but I am confused: the Amod comes with proprietary GeoTracker software that is, presumably, the UI guide from the Amod unit onto the desktop. Unfortunately, GeoTracker is Windows only. I know that many Mac users are happy with the Amod/Houdah combination, but what link am I missing that will make me happy too? (PS Houdah disclaims responsibility for that link). This is all new to me so please pardon my ignorance.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Holux
    You all might want to take a look at the tiny Holux M241 at B&H and also the BLUE2CAN + HOLUX M241 COMBO ..........the reads on it seem pretty dang cool...........no cables to worry about only the batteries and the H M241 talks to the B2C by bluetooththumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Ignore GeoTracker
    Excellent news. I know you'll be happy with this combo.

Here's where things get really simple. Just pop the Amods unit in, via USB, and drag its geo log file out. When Houdah wants a geo log file in step 2, point it to the Amods file. You might be able to skip the step of transferring the file from the Amods to your desktop--maybe Houdah can read it while it's still on the Amods.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you can ignore the GeoTracker software. I did, and all worked fine.

KED wrote:
    Hey Charles! I am now the owner of both HoudahGeo and the Amod, but I am confused: the Amod comes with proprietary GeoTracker software that is, presumably, the UI guide from the Amod unit onto the desktop. Unfortunately, GeoTracker is Windows only. I know that many Mac users are happy with the Amod/Houdah combination, but what link am I missing that will make me happy too? (PS Houdah disclaims responsibility for that link). This is all new to me so please pardon my ignorance.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Excellent news. I know you'll be happy with this combo.

Here's where things get really simple. Just pop the Amods unit in, via USB, and drag its geo log file out. When Houdah wants a geo log file in step 2, point it to the Amods file. You might be able to skip the step of transferring the file from the Amods to your desktop--maybe Houdah can read it while it's still on the Amods.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you can ignore the GeoTracker software. I did, and all worked fine.
    Thanks Charles. I don't understand why neither Amod nor the vendor were able to offer as simple an explanation. ne_nau.gif