Options

Need GPS/GeoTagging advice

Comments

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    rbrugman wrote:
    I do agree though. If they can put a GPS into a car, a cell phone, a baby jesus statue and a memory stick, why can't they just put it into an SLR which already costs over a grand and allow for easy geotagging of pictures!

Just my 0.02

Robert

Size isn't the issue, see how small they are now... http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/12/new-zealands-rakon-develops-worlds-smallest-gps-receiver/

There was an interview I read with one of the Canon designers saying that small low power gps chips aren't good enough yet.
    Most consumers aren't going to accept that you need to turn your camera on, wait 60 sec for it to find enough sat signals before it will tag any of your images. Thats where the wee loggers that are on all the time have the advantage over the on camera ones.

There was talk of a new range of chips that don't rely on getting all the signals before being useful. They cache all the signals they get since the moment they are turned on and then once it gets a proper lock, it works backwards and uses those partial signals to give an approximate position for where you have been. Perfect for cameras. wings.gif
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    Phatman113Phatman113 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    I'm late to the thread but I did a heap of research and bought the Amod GPS logger a few months ago, I really like it. http://www.semsons.com/amaggpsdalos.html

Why?

-It's one of the best for mac support, surprisingly few of these devices work with mac OSX. This one mounts as a drive and you can pull the files straight off.
    -It's cheap. Only $65
    -It writes standard log files.
    -The AAA batteries last for ages on one charge. I mostly use it when I'm traveling so being able to get batteries everywhere is great.
    -it has the sirf III chip and gives pretty accurate data. It's powerful enough to get a track from inside a jet on a trans-pacific flight.
    -it's small and light and straps onto my bag easily

Cons....

-I'd like some control over how often it logs. every sec is too often most of the time, although with 128Mb memory that's about 70 hrs of logs, thats enough I find for a 10 day trip.
    -Having an automatic off/on based on movement (as some of the devices have) would be good too
    -an lcd with the gps time readout on the device would help for setting the camera clock, although syncing the camera with the computer gets the time within 10 sec between the gps and the camera.

Software wise, I use the open source GPSBabel to open the tracks and convert them to KML files for viewing in google earth. It has some nice filtering to get the file size down.

For the Geotagging I use Houdah Geo. I drag my raw files onto it and then open the gps track file straight from the device. I've got it set to write out xmp sidecar files that then get automatically imported to lightroom when you import the images. Simple :D

Jogle,

I thought long and hard about the one I GPL700 and the AMOD, I decided that I didn't like the inability to not change from 1sec tracking... We'll see how that decision pans out for me...:D
    http://phatman113.smugmug.com
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi :lust
    - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM lens :lust
    - Kit lens...:cry
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    -It's one of the best for mac support, surprisingly few of these devices work with mac OSX. This one mounts as a drive and you can pull the files straight off.
    -It's cheap. Only $65
    It surprised me as well, that very few are natively supported by Mac. Be careful though, sometimes it says that mac is not supported, but it only means that they don't supply software for the mac that can tag the photos. You can still download the logs and tag them using your own/different software.

I took a chance and bought the sony gps-cs1 thingy, which I found on ebay for about 55USD, new. It isn't actually recognized natively by mac osx 10.5 for some reason. There is a trick for this though, if you are willing to do it, and it works fine for me. I use it in combination with houdahgeo software and it works great thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    It surprised me as well, that very few are natively supported by Mac. Be careful though, sometimes it says that mac is not supported, but it only means that they don't supply software for the mac that can tag the photos. You can still download the logs and tag them using your own/different software.

I took a chance and bought the sony gps-cs1 thingy, which I found on ebay for about 55USD, new. It isn't actually recognized natively by mac osx 10.5 for some reason. There is a trick for this though, if you are willing to do it, and it works fine for me. I use it in combination with houdahgeo software and it works great thumb.gif

Ivar,
    How do you like the Sony? I saw some reviews that said it wasn't great for accuracy or being able to keep a signal so that turned me off of it. ne_nau.gif Have you had good experiences with it?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Phatman113 wrote:
    Ivar,
    How do you like the Sony? I saw some reviews that said it wasn't great for accuracy or being able to keep a signal so that turned me off of it. ne_nau.gif Have you had good experiences with it?
    I like it, actually. I can't compare with other types of gps-photo taggers, but it seems to do its job properly. Acquisition doesn't seem to take longer than other types of gps devices I've used. As far as accuracy I think it's as decent as you can expect from a non-WAAS/LAAS/etc gps-receiver, which most (all?) of the smaller ones like this are. Most of the tags are within 20ft of my exact position, if not closer.

I use houdahgeo which allows you to see the pins in Google Earth and make adjustments if needed.

Like I said, I had to use that trick to get it to work with my mac, but it works great now.

It's simple, which I like; One button;
    276806394_63utK-M.jpg

For the money I paid, I would buy it again thumb.gif
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    GPS Linker is great
    I use a Venture Cx (great little device) w/ GPSPhotoLinker.The ability to work with Raw is very nice.

I did have a track corrupt on me. . I am not sure if it was already corrupted coming off the device or after running it through GPS Photo Linker. I now copy the track off and then run through the program.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    I've read through this whole thread and it's very interesting.

Can I ask a total nOOb question though?
    How doe this work? I know that GPS records the data and you can then use that to find out the exact lat/long of a shot. but it all seems a bit too much for my taste.

Is there any alternative that sit s in the hotshoe or PC cable and only records when the shuter is pressed?

I'm usre there's synchronizing programs that sync data. But I'mnot that far into it yet. I jsut want it to work, but sit there w/ files and cross reference data.

Any links or comments would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll,

There are a few hotshoe alternatives, and SOME (not nearly enough) cameras have built in GPS for this exact purpose, but if you don't want to do manual mapping (though it's possible) then the easiest way is to just take your GPS file and merge it with your pictures.

Here's a gallery I manually mapped (it was my birthday, so I felt like it wasn't a waste of time... rolleyes1.gif )
    http://phatman113.smugmug.com/gallery/3326641_jFHUK
    Here's the map link:
    http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=3326641_jFHUK
    (this took a while to load, so be patient if you want to see the map)
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    Phatman113 wrote:
    but if you don't want to do manual mapping (though it's possible) then the easiest way is to just take your GPS file and merge it with your pictures.
    Well the only thing I do manually is my camera, so the automated way is better for me. THe way you described sounds pretty mannual to me though.

Is there a way to have the GPS write to the EXIF? Or a program that automates this on import?

Any links for hotshoe mounts? Do they make PC cord connections? I usua;;y have a PW strapped to my camera.

Thanks for your time and help.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Any links for hotshoe mounts? Do they make PC cord connections? I usua;;y have a PW strapped to my camera.
    Jobo.com was mentioned earlier in this thread for a hotshoe, but I couldn't find anything there. It also depends on your camera manufacturer, so I guess your best bet would just be to google it or somethingne_nau.gif
    I think the idea of the HotShoe is that it will add that data to the EXIF, but I've also heard that for some it will just make an entry into the GPS log so it's easier for the software to match pictures with locations...
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Is there a way to have the GPS write to the EXIF? Or a program that automates this on import?
    There are lots of software programs mentioned in this thread that do this automatically, I didn't mean to infer that you would take each photo and match it to a location.
    Most software uses a time based sync where you uplod your pics (with EXIF data) and it will match the time of the shot to the closest GPS locaton and then write that data back into the EXIF of the pic...

I don't know what a PC cord connection would do for you in this case though, do you mean to connect the GPS to the computer? If so, that's pretty much a requirement, as you have to download the GPS file somehow... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    Phatman113 wrote:
    Jobo.com was mentioned earlier in this thread for a hotshoe, but I couldn't find anything there. It also depends on your camera manufacturer, so I guess your best bet would just be to google it or somethingne_nau.gif
    I think the idea of the HotShoe is that it will add that data to the EXIF, but I've also heard that for some it will just make an entry into the GPS log so it's easier for the software to match pictures with locations...

There are lots of software programs mentioned in this thread that do this automatically, I didn't mean to infer that you would take each photo and match it to a location.
    Most software uses a time based sync where you uplod your pics (with EXIF data) and it will match the time of the shot to the closest GPS locaton and then write that data back into the EXIF of the pic...

I don't know what a PC cord connection would do for you in this case though, do you mean to connect the GPS to the computer? If so, that's pretty much a requirement, as you have to download the GPS file somehow... rolleyes1.gif
    TYVM
    I read the things you mentioned in earlier posts. But even the JOBO site seemed cryptic at best regarding GPS data and using it for a camera.

I was mentioning the PC connection thinking it would trigger the GPS to record a lat/long.

I'll do some digging around now that I have a small clue :D
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll, its actually not that hard. I simply turn on my GPS before I start shooting, and forget about it.

Then when I am back at the PC, I do one step that is different: normally I use Lightroom to take the photos off my card. When I am wanting GPS data on the photos, I simply copy the photos to a folder on my HD. Then use I GPSPhotoLinker to take the tracks off the GPS and import the photos. It associates photos to gps coordinates, and I save. Then I import from the folder into Lightroom. BTW, I do this with RAW files, and it works just fine.

Once I confirm the photos are ok, I delete from my card.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    SloYerRoll, its actually not that hard. I simply turn on my GPS before I start shooting, and forget about it.

Then when I am back at the PC, I do one step that is different: normally I use Lightroom to take the photos off my card. When I am wanting GPS data on the photos, I simply copy the photos to a folder on my HD. Then use I GPSPhotoLinker to take the tracks off the GPS and import the photos. It associates photos to gps coordinates, and I save. Then I import from the folder into Lightroom. BTW, I do this with RAW files, and it works just fine.

Once I confirm the photos are ok, I delete from my card.
    TYVM cmason :D THis makes things much clearer. I knew I was making rocket science out of Jello. It jsut didn't want to click. Now it did thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    Using these things is much simpler then it sounds. The first time I turned it on (one button!) and did some test shots walking around, then loaded them into houdah geo. I couldn't get over how simple it was.

I remember exclaiming several times "neat" and "is that it?"
    thumb.gif
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've read through this whole thread and it's very interesting.

Can I ask a total nOOb question though?
    How doe this work? I know that GPS records the data and you can then use that to find out the exact lat/long of a shot. but it all seems a bit too much for my taste.

Is there any alternative that sit s in the hotshoe or PC cable and only records when the shuter is pressed?

I'm usre there's synchronizing programs that sync data. But I'mnot that far into it yet. I jsut want it to work, but sit there w/ files and cross reference data.

Any links or comments would be much appreciated.

All Nikon Cams from the D200 (I believe) are GPS enabled.....by this I mean you can connect by Nikons gps cable to a Garmin, Magellan or other gps unit and every time the shutter is cliked the gps data is embeded either in the EXIL or the IPTC data of the files as written......one reason I decided to go back to Nikon when I do my
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    All Nikon Cams from the D200 (I believe) are GPS enabled.....by this I mean you can connect by Nikons gps cable to a Garmin, Magellan or other gps unit and every time the shutter is cliked the gps data is embeded either in the EXIL or the IPTC data of the files as written......one reason I decided to go back to Nikon when I do my
    So there's a GPS cable for my D200? Cool :D I'm gonna have to check into this! Hope it's not some ridiculous priced cable.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So there's a GPS cable for my D200? Cool :D I'm gonna have to check into this! Hope it's not some ridiculous priced cable.

It used to be pretty much the most ridiculously priced cable there is. it was also out of stock everywhere for a year or so. one of the photographers I work with had our machinists make a few from diagrams on the net because he couldn't get it for any money.
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

HERE'S LINKY TO MC-35 CABLE...but did not check BH for price.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    LINKY TO BH......NIKON MC-35.........It is not all that bad.....I don't think.....

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Be careful....check your GPS. This cable says it works with "GPS units that comply with NMEA 0183 interface" Garmin units famously do NOT comply with this interface, they use a proprietary interface (protocol, not connector). Garmin is still USB, but the data is not NMEA.

Not sure about other GPS devices.
  • Options
    alduinalduin Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 13, 2008
    Phatman113 wrote:
    Jogle,

I thought long and hard about the one I GPL700 and the AMOD, I decided that I didn't like the inability to not change from 1sec tracking... We'll see how that decision pans out for me...:D
    For what it's worth, the AMOD units shipping for the past couple months can be set to 1, 5, or 10 second intervals. I love mine, and having it act like a flash drive makes getting the logs off of it a snap.
  • Options
    nmhnmh Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Be careful....check your GPS. This cable says it works with "GPS units that comply with NMEA 0183 interface" Garmin units famously do NOT comply with this interface, they use a proprietary interface (protocol, not connector). Garmin is still USB, but the data is not NMEA.

FYI -
    GPSMAP 76CSx Owners Manual:
    The NMEA 0183 version 3.01 interface format is supported by the GPSMAP 76CSx and enables the unit to drive up to three NMEA devices.

The following ar the sentences for NMEA 0183, version 3.01 output:

Approved sentences - GPGGA, GPGLL, GPGSA, GPGSV, GPRMB, GPRMC, GPRTE, GPVTG, GPWPL, GPBOD, GPAPB
  • Options
    FrostFrost Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Other ideas....
    I came in late, but has anyone read about this: PhotoFinder PhotoFinder GPST by Meraz. One thing about this unit, is that it uses rechargable LiIon battery and can log 32 hours continuous or run 2000 hours on standby. Good for most trips.

And this one is simple as pie> http://photofinder.atpinc.com/ With the ATP PhotoFinder you simply insert your camera's memory card into it, after shooting and after doing the time sync and logging and it updates all the EXIF info on the pictures for GPS info.

EDIT: ok try it now.:D Merax is not part of memorex though. *S*
    Cheers!
    Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others
    http://vernsdidj.com Didgeridoo site with links and pictures.

I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2008
    Frost wrote:
    I came in late, but has anyone read about this: http://http://www.merax.com/products/Photo/PhotoFinderGPST.html PhotoFinder GPST by Meraz. One thing about this unit, is that it uses rechargable LiIon battery and can log 32 hours continuous or run 2000 hours on standby. Good for most trips.

And this one is simple as pie> http://photofinder.atpinc.com/ With the ATP PhotoFinder you simply insert your camera's memory card into it, after shooting and after doing the time sync and logging and it updates all the EXIF info on the pictures for GPS info.

Frost that 1st link needs the first set of http:// taken out of it......rolleyes1.gif

Google states the link http://www.merax.com/products...inderGPST.html doesn't match anything and wants to know if it is really memorex

Googled merax and found it.......

• Options
    FrostFrost Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Thanks Art...
    for pointing that mistake out. I corrected the "missing" lnk.. lol
    Cheers!
    Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others
    http://vernsdidj.com Didgeridoo site with links and pictures.

I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2008
    it... works.
    Finally got my PhotoTrackrLite DP700 and it works. It takes a little more babysitting than I like, so I thought I'd let everybody know what steps I have to take to do it. and maybe Wizzy can tell me what I'm doing wrong...

So, you get the piece of hardware and software and you install the software on your computer first. (I had a bit of difficulty with this and I think it's because I got excited and just got ahead of myself.)
    When you install the software and run it for the first time it will ask you for your activation number (a small sticker on the CD Sleeve). You put that in and it tells you there's a new version and directs you to download it and run it. So I did. Then I ran the program again. Got the same message "newer version avaialble" so I downloaded and installed THAT version too. Thankfully there was only two newer versions... Not sure why they didn't just make a 'rollup' version, but whatever...ne_nau.gif
    Now I plugged in my GPS (it installs the proper driver during software installation) and the software tells me it's incompatible with the firmware and tries to update the firmware. all it gives me is a little moving status bar for about 2 hours (I'm doing this at work, so I figured I'd just let it go and quit paying attention to it...). When I look back it's still going, so I minimize a bunch of windows and find a small window that says 'firmware update complete, please disconnect GPS'. So I did and then closed the program.

Now when I plug in the GPS it says "unknown device" unless I follow these steps right before plugging it in:
    1. open the battery compartment
    2. use a thumbtack or paperclip to push the recessed button on the bottom of the device
    3. close the battery compartment
    4. turn the device on and plug it into the computer.
    I'm not against doing what needs to be done for technology, but seriously? there's a power button on the thing, why do I have to open the battery?
    Anyway, now I sync to my computer and download the logs, everything works fine. I can adjust the settings on the GPS through the program.
    I remove the GPS from the computer (there's no removal button, or 'safely remove hardware' or anythign like that) and i can't turn the GPS off! headscratch.gif I've let it run overnight to see if I could turn it off after it sat for a while, but nope. I have to open the battery compartment again just to turn it off after syncing with the computer.

I've sent an email to support@gisteq.com and am waiting for an answer. I've also posted in their forum (saw a post by wizzy there, same one maybe?) but haven't gotten any response from either email or forum.

Bottom line, the GPS tracking seems to be pretty accurate, the software works decently (their Pro version for $19.99 will allow you to edit RAW files...) but there's so many hoops to jump through I can only hope mine's broken some how...

Someone bought the AMOD unit, how's that working out? :D

Here's a quick test I did with my camera phone driving home. I had the device in the cup holder and it did pretty well!
    http://phatman113.smugmug.com/gallery/4984851_P8X6Y
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2008
    Might have spoke too soon... :-)
    Well, as I was writing my last post, I got a response from Gisteq support. rolleyes1.gif they gave me a couple things to try, but none of them solve the problem of not being able to turn it off. I think everything else seems to be functioning just fine though... I'll play with it a little more and let you know if I have any breakthroughs!
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Phatman113 wrote:
    Jogle,

FYI - they've had a firmware update out for the AMOD for some time that does away with the 1-sec restriction. The new firmware gives 6 different logging modes. There are a few variations in data that is logged between the modes, but most importantly to a lot of people it lets you select between 1, 5, and 10 second logging intervals. The logging variations also make it possible to log a lot more data - up to 2880 hours worth of $GPRMC data (logged every 10 seconds).

There are also two versions of "version 2" firmware: a 2.0 and 2.0S. One has "static navigation" enabled on the GPS module, the other has it off. You'll have to do your own googling to see which is best.

My only beef about the Amod is using 3-AAA batteries - which only last about 15-18 hours. I buy mine in 4-packs, that means for a vacation of every-day use I need to bring a brick of "AAA" batteries! The alternative is (obviously) to get rechargeable "AAA"s, and yet another charger to pack.

On the other hand, Phototrackr Lite uses a single "AA" battery. A 4-pack of those (arguably the same packing-space as a 4-pack of "AAA"s) will last 4-days. That's a big difference to me.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Wow Thanks Aerialphoto!

For anyone else interested, here's the link to the firmware: http://www.amod.com.tw/Support/download.asp?tLGIqc6FuoJI
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    Entropy512Entropy512 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2008
    cmason wrote:

Every Garmin unit I have ever used has allowed you to configure the protocol. (either Garmin binary or NMEA 0183).