Options

Need GPS/GeoTagging advice

Comments

• Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    keeping it simple
    Sometimes a little denseness, as in mine in just ignoring the Amods software, helps :)

Good luck with this, and I hope it works out for you.

BTW, I checked out your photo site. Nice work! I like the way you've gone beyond capturing action to giving a real sense of the feel of the athlete, and the moment.
    KED wrote:
    Thanks Charles. I don't understand why neither Amod nor the vendor were able to offer as simple an explanation. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Hi, I am using a Royaltek RGM-3800 GPS Datalogger and am pleased with
    it.

Link: http://www.royaltek.com/products_dtl.php?cid=2&id=23&argPage=1&argI=3

It runs 8-10hrs on a set of Batteries, which is not bad. When I need longer
    logging times I either take a pair of spair batteries or (when sailing) simply
    attach a USB battery pack to it (the kind that takes 4xAA, found on ebay
    for $10). Logging interval can be adjusted between 1 and 60 seconds.

The tracks it produces are super smooth even at low velocities (walking)
    unlike those from Wintec. Reception is also very good (it actualy works
    from inside my pants pocket).

A Windows Software to sync the logged positions with photos comes with
    it. There exists a Mac solution that allows you to download the tracks from
    the logger. But you'll need yor own software to sync the log to your photos.

Royaltek also makes a Bluetooth version of this device
    with LiIon Battery: http://www.royaltek.com/products_dtl.php?cid=2&id=19&argPage=1&argI=6
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Sometimes a little denseness, as in mine in just ignoring the Amods software, helps :)

Good luck with this, and I hope it works out for you.

BTW, I checked out your photo site. Nice work! I like the way you've gone beyond capturing action to giving a real sense of the feel of the athlete, and the moment.
    I will make it work; I think you and I are both smarter than the Amod webmasters, if not the inventors themselves!

Thank you for your very generous comments on my photography; you made my day yesterday, but then I had to go out of town so could not reply until now.
  • Options
    photomakerphotomaker Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2008
    did you try...
    hi, did you try using this site:
    www.trekinu.com
    I used it several times now here an example:
    http://www.trekinu.com/viewtrek.aspx...ytw9sef3syg3di

you just need the original photos of your trip and the gpx
    file (from your GPS) of the trip and this site will do the dirty work.

p.s:
    http://www.trekinu.com/pages/photographers.aspx

Enjoy. :D
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    Gisteq has MAC versions of phototrackr and phototrackr Pro now too. I still prefer to use Geosetter (for the PC), but their software seems to do a decent job if you have the Phototrackr GPS.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    Amod/Houdah Not Working for Me
    So, I took a bunch of images with the Amod recording away. I loaded the images into Houdah from Lightroom, extracted the log from the Amod and put it on the desktop, tried to import the log into Houdah and, while it SAID it was reading the log, it never populated the coordinates inside Houdah itself. I've tried it twice with the same frustrating results. With a big trip coming up in a week, I'm ready to flush my $70 investment in the Amod in favor of a device (and accompanying software) that I know Houdah supports.
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    KED wrote:
    So, I took a bunch of images with the Amod recording away. I loaded the images into Houdah from Lightroom, extracted the log from the Amod and put it on the desktop, tried to import the log into Houdah and, while it SAID it was reading the log, it never populated the coordinates inside Houdah itself. I've tried it twice with the same frustrating results. With a big trip coming up in a week, I'm ready to flush my $70 investment in the Amod in favor of a device (and accompanying software) that I know Houdah supports.

Double check your time zones, try different combinations of Daylight savings times when loading the track into houdah too. This has got me a few times.

You can even open the gps track in a text editor to look at the time stamps in there.

You can check your track in google earth by running it through another piece of software, GPSBabel, it's open source so easily downloadable.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    Yikes
    This sounds super frustrating, esp on the eve of a big trip. I haven't had any trouble, and so I'm not so knowledgeable about trouble-shooting. It looks like you've had some good advice already. I would emphasize that bit about double-checking the time stamps in the geo log. One thing I wish the Amods did better is give feedback on when it's actually recording. Could it be that the geo log never got created/contains garbage, or that it didn't get created at a time when your photos were taken?
    KED wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    Double check your time zones, try different combinations of Daylight savings times when loading the track into houdah too. This has got me a few times.

You can even open the gps track in a text editor to look at the time stamps in there.

You can check your track in google earth by running it through another piece of software, GPSBabel, it's open source so easily downloadable.
    Jogle, you have pointed me to the area of the problem, thank you, but I have scoured Houdah's help) which is pretty scant, and can't find the solution to the problem. Here it is: My images contain the correct time/date information in their EXIF data (when I read the metadata in Lightoom). I'm in Eastern Daylight time. Also, my Houdah Camera Setting is "America -- New York" or the equivalent for Eastern time -- nowhere do I see any options for Daylight vs Standard time, but that's not even the issue. The timestamps on the images themselves, as I read them in Houdah after import, are exactly three hours off -- an image actually shot at 5:00 p.m. appears, in Houdah, to be timestamped 2:00 p.m. So of course there's no matchup with the Amod file. Any idea why this would happen or how to fix it? I could "force" it by telling Houdah I'm in Pacific time, but that's not really a proper solution.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    This sounds super frustrating, esp on the eve of a big trip. I haven't had any trouble, and so I'm not so knowledgeable about trouble-shooting. It looks like you've had some good advice already. I would emphasize that bit about double-checking the time stamps in the geo log. One thing I wish the Amods did better is give feedback on when it's actually recording. Could it be that the geo log never got created/contains garbage, or that it didn't get created at a time when your photos were taken?
    Hey Charles, yes it is frustrating. Ifyou will see immediately above, it's now more so because the problem doesn't appear to be with the Amod device at all, but with some communication between LR and Houdah.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    maybe this will help
    KED,

I'm taking a shot in the dark, but here's one thought: When I import into Aperture, I have the option of changing a time zone adjustment (for example, if the camera was on New York time, but I was shooting in Chicago). Is it possible that this option is somehow turned on in Lightroom for you?

Charles
    KED wrote:
    Jogle, you have pointed me to the area of the problem, thank you, but I have scoured Houdah's help) which is pretty scant, and can't find the solution to the problem. Here it is: My images contain the correct time/date information in their EXIF data (when I read the metadata in Lightoom). I'm in Eastern Daylight time. Also, my Houdah Camera Setting is "America -- New York" or the equivalent for Eastern time -- nowhere do I see any options for Daylight vs Standard time, but that's not even the issue. The timestamps on the images themselves, as I read them in Houdah after import, are exactly three hours off -- an image actually shot at 5:00 p.m. appears, in Houdah, to be timestamped 2:00 p.m. So of course there's no matchup with the Amod file. Any idea why this would happen or how to fix it? I could "force" it by telling Houdah I'm in Pacific time, but that's not really a proper solution.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    KED,

I'm taking a shot in the dark, but here's one thought: When I import into Aperture, I have the option of changing a time zone adjustment (for example, if the camera was on New York time, but I was shooting in Chicago). Is it possible that this option is somehow turned on in Lightroom for you?

Charles
    It does, somewhere, have a comparable feature, or at least the ability to make global changes to the time across a series of images. But in this instance, the metadata is exactly correct -- my camera is on Eastern daylight time, and in fact the images are of the Brooklyn Bridge! It seems to be HoudahGeo that is re-interpreting the exposure times as three hours earlier (I should have double-checked the minutes and seconds, but they were close if not spot on).
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    Hmm
    Yikes! I'm sorry about this. I have to admit I am beyond my capabilities here. Maybe Houdah can help? Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
    KED wrote:
    It does, somewhere, have a comparable feature, or at least the ability to make global changes to the time across a series of images. But in this instance, the metadata is exactly correct -- my camera is on Eastern daylight time, and in fact the images are of the Brooklyn Bridge! It seems to be HoudahGeo that is re-interpreting the exposure times as three hours earlier (I should have double-checked the minutes and seconds, but they were close if not spot on).
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2008
    Yikes! I'm sorry about this. I have to admit I am beyond my capabilities here. Maybe Houdah can help? Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
    I've reached out to the poor guy at Houdah that I've now bothered about 20 times. I suspect that I may kick myself once I know the answer, but that's a good problem. I will indeed post back here once I have an answer.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    Great attitude
    Great attitude. You're right, those are the good problems to have.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. If you're having this issue, chances are lots of other people are, too.
    KED wrote:
    I've reached out to the poor guy at Houdah that I've now bothered about 20 times. I suspect that I may kick myself once I know the answer, but that's a good problem. I will indeed post back here once I have an answer.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    So, this just out:

http://www.gisteq.com/MACsoftware.php

yay/nay?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Great attitude. You're right, those are the good problems to have.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. If you're having this issue, chances are lots of other people are, too.
    I have found the problem, which is not the same as having solved it. Apparently in the process of converting raw images to DNGs (as Lightroom insists upon doing), the software makes a time zone adjustment based on the computer's clock. I have no idea what possible utility the developers ever thought that had, but in this narrow case it has the effect of double-counting one's GMT adjustment -- in other words, if I shot in GMT -4 (EDT) and the computer also resides there, the DNG metadata will helpfully be adjusted to GMT -8, even though in LOOKING at the metadata it still reads at the GMT-4 clock setting. I have spent countless hours on the web and trying to contact Adobe to see if there is a way of disabling this "feature".

If anybody has any thoughts, by all means please weigh in.
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    So, this just out:

http://www.gisteq.com/MACsoftware.php

yay/nay?

I have some pretty brief notes about the PC version of phototrackr on my site, here. I assume the mac version is similar. It really is designed to support their PhotoTrackR GPS, not manage logs from other receivers.
  • Options
    epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    D90 Gps
    And for those following recent announcements, have you seen the GPS accessory attachment for the new Nikon D90 (which will also work with D300, D700, and D3):

Look about halfway down this page:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/page5.asp

Ernie
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Apparently in the process of converting raw images to DNGs (as Lightroom insists upon doing),

Well Lightroom in no way insists on converting to DNG, so you could start there.

In the Import Dialog, where is says "File Handling", Change it from its current "Copy photos as DNG and import" to one of the other options.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Well Lightroom in no way insists on converting to DNG, so you could start there.

In the Import Dialog, where is says "File Handling", Change it from its current "Copy photos as DNG and import" to one of the other options.
    There is only ONE other option, which is something along the lines of leaving "in current location and copying as . . . ".Since my "current location" at those times is my card reader, that's not an option at all. I'm sure that I could get CR2's instead of DNGs into LR via the desktop if I cared, but I don't.

I'm also happy to have the opportunity to announce that the HoudahGeo/DNG disconnect has been resolved. HG, in an extraordinary display of customer service, wrote an update to address Adobe's peculiar (IMO) handling of timestamps in relation to where the computer resides (?!).

If anyone is experiencing frustration with the combination of Houdah/LR2/DNG, PM me - after literally hundreds of hours, I have it figured out and may be able to help. Maybe I was the only one, or maybe the HG/LR/DNG subset is very small indeed, so I won't ramble on about it here. PS the final component of my geotagging regime is the Amod, working nicely as well.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Very interesting thread and hell it's my birthday/father's day so I think I'm going to get the AMOD device and Houdea (sp?) software

Sounds like it could be cool to really remember where I took the photos as my memory sucks

and for all motorbike riders out there - i'm thinking when i go offroad i can log the path/track i take and then revisit anytime I like.... that sounds good too!! thumb.gif

only bummer is the AMOD cost like 90€ and it's only in Germany not in Switzerland so they'll sting me with more import duty 11doh.gif

such is life! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    Go for it
    Jason, go for it! Sorry the AMOD is so pricey in Switzerland, but I think you will be happy with it. Let us know how it goes.
    jasonstone wrote:
    Very interesting thread and hell it's my birthday/father's day so I think I'm going to get the AMOD device and Houdea (sp?) software

Sounds like it could be cool to really remember where I took the photos as my memory sucks

and for all motorbike riders out there - i'm thinking when i go offroad i can log the path/track i take and then revisit anytime I like.... that sounds good too!! thumb.gif

only bummer is the AMOD cost like 90€ and it's only in Germany not in Switzerland so they'll sting me with more import duty 11doh.gif

• Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:

I've got my Amod/HoudahGeo tandem rocking and rolling now, but for that price you might want to see what alternatives might be available to you, such as full-service handheld GPS devices that you can also use for other purposes. That being said, what makes the Amod attractive for Mac users is that it's driverless; many other brands require software drivers and many of those are PC-only.

I have also recently acquired a Garmin 76Cx handheld; different price point, about $350 U.S. But Garmin is now supporting Mac (via downloadable beta software), and unlike the Amod, the Garmin can also help me to find my way back to my car after I wander too far into unknown territory. On big adventures, I carry both, and have yet to try downloading a track log from the Garmin unit, but if the beta software works, it's totally doable.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2008
    Good points! - but I don't want something that's going to be heavy, or take much space, especially as i might pack it in a backpack when I go enduro riding in the forest etc. and chances of crashing are always there and I don't want to break a more expensive device.

I also want to stick with something that tried and tested - I don't have time or money to waste on a maybe...

Otherwise I was wondering if there is software for the iPhone to make it like a gps phototagger... :)

Jase
    KED wrote:
    I've got my Amod/HoudahGeo tandem rocking and rolling now, but for that price you might want to see what alternatives might be available to you, such as full-service handheld GPS devices that you can also use for other purposes. That being said, what makes the Amod attractive for Mac users is that it's driverless; many other brands require software drivers and many of those are PC-only.

I have also recently acquired a Garmin 76Cx handheld; different price point, about $350 U.S. But Garmin is now supporting Mac (via downloadable beta software), and unlike the Amod, the Garmin can also help me to find my way back to my car after I wander too far into unknown territory. On big adventures, I carry both, and have yet to try downloading a track log from the Garmin unit, but if the beta software works, it's totally doable.

Good luck!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Jobo poised to ship photoGPS receiver for digital cameras

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9316-9617

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Jobo poised to ship photoGPS receiver for digital cameras

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9316-9617

ne_nau.gif

Firstly - ouch! 159Euro vs 159USD which makes it about 55% more expensive in Euroland rolleyes1.gif

But the other problem I see is that it means no gps tagging photos where you're using fill-flash as you can't have your flash and the gps unit on your camera at the same time

That's too restrictive for me i think - now that i'm enjoying playing around with fill flash etc.

Mate said he had a good app on the iPHone which could be tempting.. can't remember name though...
  • Options
    and another issue
    Windows only, with Mac compatibility 'promised.' I'll stick with HoudahGeo, which works just fine with my Amods.
    jasonstone wrote:
    Firstly - ouch! 159Euro vs 159USD which makes it about 55% more expensive in Euroland rolleyes1.gif

But the other problem I see is that it means no gps tagging photos where you're using fill-flash as you can't have your flash and the gps unit on your camera at the same time

That's too restrictive for me i think - now that i'm enjoying playing around with fill flash etc.

Mate said he had a good app on the iPHone which could be tempting.. can't remember name though...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Red Hen & Blue2can
    Ok this leaves everyone but the Nikon D200 and up users out but I think it is the way to go for geo tagging.....

BH RED hen / Blue2can Kit................or you can get nikons gps cable and hook up with something like the Garmin Etrex for cheaper...but a lot more bulk.........
    either way your tagging directly into the exif/iptc of the camera data....no software to mess with,,,,no fussing with cam clocks hoping everyting is sync'ed exactly....clik the shutter and it is imprinted directly...done...no muss no fuss and no fuzz.............:D

So if your wanting to do a lot of tagging upgrade to at least the D200 / 300 and do it the simple easy way..........

I have not been to http://www.wwmx.org in a couple of years but I have used the geo stamper there (as I believe Baldy....uses or has used this tool also) and as long as you set the cams clock to match the clock in the GPS unit it works great............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RoundAmericaRoundAmerica Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Sony Gps-csi Gps-cs1kasp
    After a lot of research and coming up dry on a magical way to get my Canon 5D photos geotagged, I stumbled upon the SONY GPS-CSI GPS-CS1KASP GPS TRACKER FOR DIGITAL CAMERA. It is about the size of a D-Cell battery and weighs just a few ounces. It attaches to the strap of my camera. I synchronize the time on the GPS unit with the time on my camera. The SONY captures all GPS coordinates that I visit throughout the day, and at the end of the night, I run a couple of processes, and the latitude and longitude get added to my embedded photo files. This unit may be discontinued; I could only find one on eBay, but it works like a champ. I do, however, look forward to reviewing the latest and greatest on this thread.

http://roundamerica.smugmug.com
    Bill
    Round America
    SmugMug Site: http://www.roundamerica.smugmug.com
    Trip Site: http://www.roundamerica.com
    Travel & Tour Site: http://www.roundamerica.us