Options

New! SmugMug "Stretchy" -- Help, Questions here

Comments

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    This change is now live, jfriend: I will look in to making it smarter to auto calculate the header size. But for now, I did not want to hold up a bug free release :)

The layout has definately improved, thanks a bunch!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    I was really excited by this until I remembered that my template is fixed width, so this doesn't really help me. But it's still awesome to see, and many other people will benefit from this. :D
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Sometimes I get 6 thumbnails wide instead of a larger image. My screen is at 1440*900. I get 4 thumbnails and a large image if i press F11 but I had 4 and a large image before. I changed a watermark on a photo and when I came back to the gallery, I had 6 thumbs and a small image, in all galleries.
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Erick L wrote:
    Sometimes I get 6 thumbnails wide instead of a larger image. My screen is at 1440*900. I get 4 thumbnails and a large image if i press F11 but I had 4 and a large image before. I changed a watermark on a photo and when I came back to the gallery, I had 6 thumbs and a small image, in all galleries.

Screenshot please.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2007
    Four thumbnails after pressing F11.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2007
    Six thumbnails and small image without F11. The same happens in IE when logged out.

And like someone said, I get four thumbnail and a very small image at 1024*768. I'd rather have only three thumbnails and a larger image. That was 4-5 days ago and will check again when I'm on that screen.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 28, 2007
    Erick L wrote:
    Six thumbnails and small image without F11. The same happens in IE when logged out.

And like someone said, I get four thumbnail and a very small image at 1024*768. I'd rather have only three thumbnails and a larger image. That was 4-5 days ago and will check again when I'm on that screen.
    If you hide the status bar and/or use small toolbar icons, what happens?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Just an interesting observation that may have already been noted, but a search for the keywords "stretchy and community" yielded nothing.

I've selected the stretchy option, but the only galleries that actually stretch are those associated with a Smugmug community.

I'm using the Dark Sand theme.

Any suggestions on how to get galleries to stretch that aren't associated with a community?

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,258 moderator
    edited December 31, 2007
    KMCC wrote:
    Just an interesting observation that may have already been noted, but a search for the keywords "stretchy and community" yielded nothing.

I've selected the stretchy option, but the only galleries that actually stretch are those associated with a Smugmug community.

I'm using the Dark Sand theme.

Any suggestions on how to get galleries to stretch that aren't associated with a community?
    On this help page - http://www.smugmug.com/help/full-of-photos-faq.mg - Dark Sand is not in the list of themes that stretch. I suspect that for now if you want your galleries to stretch that you'll need to choose a different theme.

--- Denise
  • Options
    tittelbatittelba Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    same layout problem as jfriend...only in Firefox.
    I'm still having the same problem that jfriend was describing where the main image gets pushed down below the thumbs. This happens for me only in Firefox and not in IE7. Seems to happen in all my albums.

Changing the window size doesn't seem to help. At first the main image will be to the right of the tumbs but as soon as I move the cursor over the main image it jumps below the thumbs everytime.

screen res: 2560x1600

Thanks,
    Tom

http://tittelbach.smugmug.com/
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm seeing some significant layout problems where the main image gets laid out below the thumbs in Firefox. I used to only see this while I was resizing the window. Now, I see it at a number of specific window sizes. Screen shots below. Let me know if you can't reproduce it. It's easy for me to reproduce and it's not just an artifact of changing the window size. I can go to a different gallery and the problem persists. There appears to be some particular window sizes where the layout algorithm thinks things will fit in the window and Firefox doesn't think they will.

This looks like a definite problem to me.

234488914-XL.jpg
    234489341-XL.jpg
    234489641-XL.jpg
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    On this help page - http://www.smugmug.com/help/full-of-photos-faq.mg - Dark Sand is not in the list of themes that stretch. I suspect that for now if you want your galleries to stretch that you'll need to choose a different theme.

--- Denise
    I'm aware that Dark Sand is not on the list.

Nonetheless, my galleries that are associated with a Smugmug Community are stretching quite nicely. I find that curious and thought that it was worth noting to those who are developing this feature.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    tittelba wrote:
    I'm still having the same problem that jfriend was describing where the main image gets pushed down below the thumbs. This happens for me only in Firefox and not in IE7. Seems to happen in all my albums.

Changing the window size doesn't seem to help. At first the main image will be to the right of the tumbs but as soon as I move the cursor over the main image it jumps below the thumbs everytime.

screen res: 2560x1600

Thanks,
    Tom

http://tittelbach.smugmug.com/

I can't reproduce your problem on my Firefox/Vista in your gallery. It's working fine for me. The problem I was previously having was fixed by Smugmug with a code change.

I'd suggest you clear your browser cache (to get rid of all old cached Javascript files) and try again. If it's still happening for you, do you have access to any other computers you can try it on to try to see if it's more likely an interaction with your computer?

Also, you have this line in your CSS:

filmstripMove = 0;

which is a Javascript statement. That does not belong in your CSS and could cause problems. It belongs in the Javascript section of your customization instead.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    kevin.coppalottikevin.coppalotti Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    I'm confused, I've come in late to the party having neglected my Smugmug site for a long time. I read an about 'stretchy' and 'Smugmungous', - are they the same thing?
    I can enable 'Smugmungous' at the individual gallery level, but when I try to enable 'stretchy' using the global 'customise' feature I get a vague error message.
    I use default display settings, no customisation, win xp, ie6.

FWIW, Smugmungous looks good on my 21" CRT, next problem: about those wacky stats figures.........
    Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    I'm confused, I've come in late to the party having neglected my Smugmug site for a long time. I read an about 'stretchy' and 'Smugmungous', - are they the same thing?

Hi Kevin!

Stretchy page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/full-of-photos.mg

Stretchy is the idea that we'll serve up a variable number of thumbs and main image size, based on browser window / screen size. Examples, here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3907332#226689247-A-LB
    start there and arrow forward to see examples of at different screen sizes :)

SmugMungous is our new display sizes, XL, X2 and X3. Sizes here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality

Any images you upload now, automatically get the new sizes made. Older images, you have a photo tools button, to generate your new sizes (Smugmungous! Bulk)
    I can enable 'Smugmungous' at the individual gallery level, but when I try to enable 'stretchy' using the global 'customise' feature I get a vague error message.

Can you describe how to get this error? More details - exact gallery link? I'd love to help.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Kevin!

Can you describe how to get this error? More details - exact gallery link? I'd love to help.

Hi Andy, I think I had 'stretchy' working OK with IE6 even tho I had an error message. Then I thought I would be clever and upgrade from IE6 to IE7 and now I have overlapping comments with thumnails. Doh! Screenshot below:

p510491839-5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Hi Andy, I think I had 'stretchy' working OK with IE6 even tho I had an error message. Then I thought I would be clever and upgrade from IE6 to IE7 and now I have overlapping comments with thumnails. Doh! Screenshot below:

I just tried replicating, IE7, can't :( can you do this please, clear your IE7 temp files (cache), close and restart your IE7, and go to this page again and see if you get the same result?

http://razorsharp.smugmug.com/gallery/1499688#71899831
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I just tried replicating, IE7, can't :( can you do this please, clear your IE7 temp files (cache), close and restart your IE7, and go to this page again and see if you get the same result?

http://razorsharp.smugmug.com/gallery/1499688#71899831

Thanks Andy, that fixed the problem, working fine now.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Thanks for the help, jfriend. I cleared my cache, restarted Firefox and it's still happening. I'll try on another computer tomorrow.

I've moved the "filmstripMove = 0;". :D Thanks

Regards,
    Tom

jfriend wrote:
    I can't reproduce your problem on my Firefox/Vista in your gallery. It's working fine for me. The problem I was previously having was fixed by Smugmug with a code change.

I'd suggest you clear your browser cache (to get rid of all old cached Javascript files) and try again. If it's still happening for you, do you have access to any other computers you can try it on to try to see if it's more likely an interaction with your computer?

Also, you have this line in your CSS:

filmstripMove = 0;

which is a Javascript statement. That does not belong in your CSS and could cause problems. It belongs in the Javascript section of your customization instead.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    I looked at my gallery this morning using my laptop (1280x800, XP) and the problem does not occur. It must be something with my computer/Firefox setting....but what?? Possibliy something I've done wrong in my customization to screw things up on my 2560x1600, Vista machine? ne_nau.gif

Tom
    tittelba wrote:
    Thanks for the help, jfriend. I cleared my cache, restarted Firefox and it's still happening. I'll try on another computer tomorrow.

I've moved the "filmstripMove = 0;". :D Thanks

Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    tittelba wrote:
    I looked at my gallery this morning using my laptop (1280x800, XP) and the problem does not occur. It must be something with my computer/Firefox setting....but what?? Possibliy something I've done wrong in my customization to screw things up on my 2560x1600, Vista machine? ne_nau.gif

Tom

Possible that this computer is behind a proxy, like at an office? Possible for you to cut/paste the source code for the page so we can see it?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    The computer that's having the issue is not behind a proxy. I'd be happy to provide my source code but I'm not sure what you're asking for exactly. The source code from my customizations???

www.tittelbach.smugmug.com

Regards,
    Tom
    {JT} wrote:
    Possible that this computer is behind a proxy, like at an office? Possible for you to cut/paste the source code for the page so we can see it?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    Any way we could get an order-of-attack on the stretchifying the remaining themes? I know time's always variable, but it would be good to know which will get top priority. I'm interested in Carbonite, personally. Thanks.

Carbonite stretched thumb.gif
    And so did Spoonman and Dark Sand

Thanks for your patience, folks thumb.gif
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Woohoo! Sweet! clap.gif
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:

W00t! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    I've been looking around at other people’s albums and discovered that this problem (the main image jumping down below the thumbs) is occurring for these albums as well....not just my albums. This seems to happen when I'm at full screen but if I resize the Firefox window it corrects itself?????

Tom

tittelba wrote:
    The computer that's having the issue is not behind a proxy. I'd be happy to provide my source code but I'm not sure what you're asking for exactly. The source code from my customizations???

Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    I seem to be having a post-stretchy issue. The "Photo Info" dialog hides behind the image, and once its up, you can't get it to go away (without reloading the page).

sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    I seem to be having a post-stretchy issue. The "Photo Info" dialog hides behind the image, and once its up, you can't get it to go away (without reloading the page).

sm.jpg
    Fixed... sorry about that!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Fixed... sorry about that!

beer.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    tittelba wrote:

Regards,
    Tom

When you are on the affected gallery, could you right click the page and pick "view source" - save the text document it shows you and email it to help@smugmug.com w/ the subj: attn jt
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Can we customize to a different size?
    I'm new to the stretchiness since Carbonite is now on the list. Is there any way (maybe via Javascript?) that we can modify the main image size chosen for a particular viewport?

The image below shows my site at my laptop's resolution of 1440x900. At this size, I'd like the main image to be Large instead of Medium. More image, less thumbs!

239866110-L.jpg

Thanks. thumb.gif