Options

New! SmugMug "Stretchy" -- Help, Questions here

Comments

• Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    My photo appears UNDER the thumbnails...
    I recall seeing something about this somewhere, perhaps even earlier in this thread - but I can't seem to locate a specific answer as to whether it's a bug in the theme, in stretchy, or a pecularity with my PC (Vista, FF, 24" LCD).

The site in question is www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com).

it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen regularly. I can force the page to render correctly by adjusting the window size by any amount, but the problem often comes back after going to the next page etc...

Any hints or tips please? I love the idea of Stretchy, but the implementation as it works for me is so frustrating!

Cheers - Neil Gardner
    www.nzsnaps.com
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    tittelbatittelba Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    This is still consistantly happening for me. Only in Firefox and not only on my Smugmug site but many others. So far there's been no solution that I know of. It only happens on my Vista desktop computer and not on my XP laptop.

I recall seeing something about this somewhere, perhaps even earlier in this thread - but I can't seem to locate a specific answer as to whether it's a bug in the theme, in stretchy, or a pecularity with my PC (Vista, FF, 24" LCD).

it doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen regularly. I can force the page to render correctly by adjusting the window size by any amount, but the problem often comes back after going to the next page etc...

Any hints or tips please? I love the idea of Stretchy, but the implementation as it works for me is so frustrating!

I'm still having the same problem that jfriend was describing where the main image gets pushed down below the thumbs. This happens for me only in Firefox and not in IE7. Seems to happen in all my albums.

Changing the window size doesn't seem to help. At first the main image will be to the right of the tumbs but as soon as I move the cursor over the main image it jumps below the thumbs everytime.

screen res: 2560x1600

Thanks,
    Tom

http://tittelbach.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    tittelba wrote:
    This is still consistanly happening for me. Only in Firefox and not only on my Smugmug site but many others. So far there's been no solution that I know of. It only happens on my Vista desktop computer and not on my XP laptop.

IT's because of errors in talkiet's customizing. I'm fixing them right now.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    TalkieT wrote:

Cheers - Neil Gardner
    www.nzsnaps.com
    Hi Neil,

You had a bunch of unclosed DIV and UL tags in your customizing, the favicon code was in your header, I put that in your head tag where it belongs, and most importantly, you had extra margin left and right in your CSS body statement - that was causing Firefox to render the page wrong for your site. I fixed all of these (and commented out the margin-left and margin-right in your body statement).

wave.gif should be all better now?
  • Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Neil,

You had a bunch of unclosed DIV and UL tags in your customizing, the favicon code was in your header, I put that in your head tag where it belongs, and most importantly, you had extra margin left and right in your CSS body statement - that was causing Firefox to render the page wrong for your site. I fixed all of these (and commented out the margin-left and margin-right in your body statement).

wave.gif should be all better now?

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I put up gladly with some of the little Smugmug foibles. Name one other company that gives this kind of support!

Thanks Andy, it sure looks fixed now. Thanks for this. I know enough about web design to be dangerous :-)

Cheers - Neil Gardner
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    TalkieT wrote:
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I put up gladly with some of the little Smugmug foibles. Name one other company that gives this kind of support!

Thanks Andy, it sure looks fixed now. Thanks for this. I know enough about web design to be dangerous :-)

Cheers - Neil Gardner
    YW Neil, glad to be of help :)
  • Options
    jkhassonjkhasson Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    The beat goes on....stretchy still not rendering correctly
    tittelba wrote:
    This is still consistanly happening for me. Only in Firefox and not only on my Smugmug site but many others. So far there's been no solution that I know of. It only happens on my Vista desktop computer and not on my XP laptop.

Well folks, it still is happening to all my galleries. It is only occurring in Firefox. I'm running XP. Opera and IE7 are okay. My screen resolution is 1680x1050. I'm a Power User, but with no customization at this point. Here is a gallery you can check: Warbirds.

The problem only occurs in when the window is expanded to full screen. On any size less than full screen, the page renders correctly.

I've emptied the cache, restarted firefox, gotten rid of all my toolbars in FF, but nothing helps. The only solution I've found is to no view my window in fullscreen mode, but that negates the benefits of a larger, wider screen!

You guys are great, and the coding is awesome, but this "bug" is frustrating!

Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    jkhasson wrote:
    Well folks, it still is happening to all my galleries. It is only occurring in Firefox. I'm running XP. Opera and IE7 are okay. My screen resolution is 1680x1050. I'm a Power User, but with no customization at this point. Here is a gallery you can check: Warbirds.

The problem only occurs in when the window is expanded to full screen. On any size less than full screen, the page renders correctly.

I've emptied the cache, restarted firefox, gotten rid of all my toolbars in FF, but nothing helps. The only solution I've found is to no view my window in fullscreen mode, but that negates the benefits of a larger, wider screen!

You guys are great, and the coding is awesome, but this "bug" is frustrating!

Thanks for any help!
    Can you take a screenshot of your entire FF when it's at full screen please? Post it here. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Can you take a screenshot of your entire FF when it's at full screen please? Post it here. Thanks!
    Interestingly, I can't provide that tonight. Using FF on my laptop undocked, the screen resolution is at 1280x800 and the pages render correctly. No problems at all with stacking of the main photo underneath the thumbnails.

I checked on my wife's computer using FF, and she doesn't have a problem either at a resolution of 1280x960.

SO, it appears to be an issue, at least for me, only at a screen resolution of 1680x1050. I'll be sure to upload a screenshot tomorrow once I connect back to my external monitor at work.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    jkhasson wrote:
    Interestingly, I can't provide that tonight. Using FF on my laptop undocked, the screen resolution is at 1280x800 and the pages render correctly. No problems at all with stacking of the main photo underneath the thumbnails.

I checked on my wife's computer using FF, and she doesn't have a problem either at a resolution of 1280x960.

SO, it appears to be an issue, at least for me, only at a screen resolution of 1680x1050. I'll be sure to upload a screenshot tomorrow once I connect back to my external monitor at work.

Thanks again!
    Okay, here are my screenshots from my 1680x1050 work computer. I hope these help to get to the bottom of the issue.

The first is a shot of a "minimal thumbnails" example:

252178463_7M4bs-M.jpg

Here is a shot of a "numerous thumbnails" example - top of the page only:

252178466_aGEtB-M.jpg

and the bottom of the above page:

252178464_wZGWe-M.jpg

Thanks again for the help.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    For jkhasson and tittelba, can you give us some more specifics? ear.gif
    The browser and its exact version in combination with the operating system would be a great! Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    tittelbatittelba Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Vista Ultimate with Firefox 2.0.0.12 or beta 3.0b2.

Thanks,
    Tom

ivar wrote:
    The browser and its exact version in combination with the operating system would be a great! Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    All Thumbs & Stetchy?
    I was wondering if they'll ever be making the all thumbs view "stretchy" so we can get the maximum thumbs on our monitors. Is this in the plans for the future of stretchy?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I was wondering if they'll ever be making the all thumbs view "stretchy" so we can get the maximum thumbs on our monitors. Is this in the plans for the future of stretchy?

I have seen some mention of "other views going stetchy", but as always no timing. I'd agree that the all thumbs view is a stretchy natural (and the algorithm for all-thumbs stretchy should be pretty straightforward).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Shima wrote:

You can do it yourself :)

Sample gallery (put it in all thumbs mode)

http://andytheme.smugmug.com/gallery/2602568_f5qBE/1/137259315_pkF7S

Screenshot.

/* stretchy css for allthumbs */

#allthumbs, #allthumbs #photos {
    margin-left: 15px !important;
    margin-right: 15px !important;
    min-width: 755px !important;
    width: auto !important;
    _width: expression(document.documentElement.clientWidth < 790? "760px" : "auto") !important;
    }
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Fantastic! Thanks :)
    Andy wrote:

Screenshot.

_width: expression(document.documentElement.clientWidth < 790? "760px" : "auto") !important;
    }
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling...

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 with Windows XP SP2

Thanks again for the help!
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    jkhasson wrote:
    Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling...

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 with Windows XP SP2

Thanks again for the help!
    A little more info on this strange behavior...the main image is not kicked down to the postion below the thumbnails until after a window scroll bar is inserted on the right side of the window. It appears that if any screen is rendered in SmugMug that exceeds the window dimension, the main picture is kicked to below the thumbnails in a type of "wrapping" function and the page scroll bar inserted.

Resizing the windows down from full screen effectively resizes the main image and the main image gets put back in the correct page position AND the window scroll bar goes away.

This windows scroll bar seems to be the culprit for kicking the image down on the page. Now, what is causing the image to not size correctly and initiate the scroll bar?

Thanks.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Journal style stretchy??
    I've always preferred journal style for many of my galleries (like vacation diaries). I'm assuming (hoping) that "stretchiness" will eventually be achieved in journal style...same basic vertical scroll layout (with alternating left and right registered images and captions placed to the side of the image) as it's always been, but with much larger images than currently formatted.

But after seeing that CSS can already be used for "All thumbs" style...I have to ask... is there a corresponding CSS for the Journal style to make it stretchy???
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    I've always preferred journal style for many of my galleries (like vacation diaries). I'm assuming (hoping) that "stretchiness" will eventually be achieved in journal style...same basic vertical scroll layout (with alternating left and right registered images and captions placed to the side of the image) as it's always been, but with much larger images than currently formatted.

But after seeing that CSS can already be used for "All thumbs" style...I have to ask... is there a corresponding CSS for the Journal style to make it stretchy???
    Journal's not ready for it yet :) Hang in there.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    All Thumbs
    Andy wrote:

Screenshot.

}

This would be great, but why doesn't SmugMugs all thumbs act like pbase where you click on the thumbnail and it opens the picture and when you click on the picture it goes back to the thumbnail page?
    In SmugMugs all thumbs when you click on a thumbnail it opens with scrollbars only 800 pixels wide, you then have to click on it again for the picture to open wide, if you click on it again it only closes back to 800 pixels wide with scrollbars and you can't get back to the thumbnail page.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    This would be great, but why doesn't SmugMugs all thumbs act like pbase where you click on the thumbnail and it opens the picture and when you click on the picture it goes back to the thumbnail page?
    In SmugMugs all thumbs when you click on a thumbnail it opens with scrollbars only 800 pixels wide, you then have to click on it again for the picture to open wide, if you click on it again it only closes back to 800 pixels wide with scrollbars and you can't get back to the thumbnail page.
    Hi Dennis, well, the simple answer is we're not Pbase :)

That behavior is on SmugMug style, though. All thumbs and traditional go to the next size up... or your "preferred size" if you've chosen one. There are hacks that can be used to force lightbox from allthumbs or traditional, just make a post in the customizing forum and ask for it :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Dennis, well, the simple answer is we're not Pbase :)

You have many features that pbase doesn't have, that's why I'm moving here. I like the large sizes. I upload most of my pictures as 1920x1080. I used to be able to look at them full size on my 1920x1200 monitor. Something has changed. Explorer now always has a scrollbar on the side. even when all of the window is showing.
    Shouldn't there be a way to view the pictures "fullscreen" and centered, like almost every picture viewing utility has, without the toolbars, scrollbars, headers, borders, etc.?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    I used to be able to look at them full size on my 1920x1200 monitor. Something has changed. Explorer now always has a scrollbar on the side. even when all of the window is showing.

Ah, the large screen size gremlin has surfaced again. See some of my previous posts. There is something amiss with larger screen sizes rendering the pages incorrectly.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    You have many features that pbase doesn't have, that's why I'm moving here. I like the large sizes. I upload most of my pictures as 1920x1080. I used to be able to look at them full size on my 1920x1200 monitor. Something has changed. Explorer now always has a scrollbar on the side. even when all of the window is showing.
    Shouldn't there be a way to view the pictures "fullscreen" and centered, like almost every picture viewing utility has, without the toolbars, scrollbars, headers, borders, etc.?

Like this?

20080215-86q9equed48jkaekp9ri578aun.jpg

click for lightbox:
    20080215-x5kukqj9pr2unsipuc3c5eswu4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    jkhasson wrote:
    Ah, the large screen size gremlin has surfaced again. See some of my previous posts. There is something amiss with larger screen sizes rendering the pages incorrectly.
    Not sure exactly what's going on with your page but I'll ask another her0 to look at it.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=750249#post750249
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Not sure exactly what's going on with your page but I'll ask another her0 to look at it.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=750249#post750249

As always, your efforts are greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2008
    Scrollbars :(
    Andy wrote:
    Like this?

Unfortunately I get this...

screensave.jpg

I have to hack the pinstripe off so it is 1920 pixels, but this makes the other sizes look not as good.
    There is always a scrollbar on the right side which causes a scrollbar on the bottom.

The scrollbar problem is twofold...

Internet Explorer seems to have developed a permanent scrollbar, even if the page fits on the screen.

The SmugMug page I came from can be seen through the black background which is semi transparent. That window is too big to fit the screen and causes a scrollbar.

A true "fullscreen" would just show the picture and leave all the rest behind.

Is there a way to solve this problem?
  • Options
    shmoojshmooj Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Firefox main image under thumbs
    I've searched for this and can't find any threads relating to it.

I'm running Firefox 2 and from time to time (not always irritatingly) when I view a gallery, the main image will load below the thumbs and off to the right a bit. As in the graphic below (x=thumbnail m=main image (ignore the dots as I had to put them in to force spacing)

X X X X
    X X X X
    X X X X
    .......mmmmm
    .......mmmmm
    .......mmmmm
    .......mmmmm

this, frankly, sucks

any ideas?
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    shmooj wrote:
    I've searched for this and can't find any threads relating to it.

I'm running Firefox 2 and from time to time (not always irritatingly) when I view a gallery, the main image will load below the thumbs and off to the right a bit. As in the graphic below (x=thumbnail m=main image (ignore the dots as I had to put them in to force spacing)

X X X X
    X X X X
    X X X X
    .......mmmmm
    .......mmmmm
    .......mmmmm
    .......mmmmm

this, frankly, sucks

any ideas?
    Hi, we need details, link to the gallery... and what happens when you are doing this. Resizing window?