Options

Assignment for the Week: 3/19 - 3/26

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited March 27, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's your photo assignment for this week: Transportation in motion.
  • Photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
  • Transportation in motion means the primary focal point of your image should be depicting some form of transportation in motion, as opposed to stationary (no parked bikes, etc).
Have at it.

Note: The moderator team agreed to have the assignments last for an entire week, rather than a weekend to give people more chances to get out and shoot.
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's your photo assignment for this week: Transportation in motion.
    • Photos must be fresh - taken this week, not stuff you've got hanging around on your computer.
    • Transportation in motion means the primary focal point of your image should be depicting some form of transportation in motion, as opposed to stationary (no parked bikes, etc).
    Have at it.

Note: The moderator team agreed to have the assignments last for an entire week, rather than a weekend to give people more chances to get out and shoot.
    Right it is then.. we're off....
  • Options
    special kidspecial kid Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    i'm new to the forum so i don't know if this is cheating but as i won't be able to post any pics for 3 weeks here they are. i took them on the 14th of march.

carblur.jpg

trnblur.jpg

trnblur2.jpg

if there is anyone who has comments let me know cuz i am very new to the Photography thing. I bought a book on photography and bought a cheap canon 35mm and liked it. Then got my tax returns and bought a digital and love it. Took over 1k pics last week. I'm in the navy and stationed on a carrier. So i should be able to have some nice shot by the time i get back.I will have to talk to some people to see what pics i can show and what ones i can't. Plus i just got photoshop 7 and will play with that alot over the next 3 weeks. I should still be able to post but no uploading pics.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    i'm new to the forum so i don't know if this is cheating but as i won't be able to post any pics for 3 weeks here they are. i took them on the 14th of march.
    Okay, you get special dispensation. So post some cool shots of Tomcat launches and landings thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    Walking home from the pub last night thinking..."whats he gonna call ?.. moving traffic perhaps ? "

2952230-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    2952229-M.jpg
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2004
    Kid, I know exactly where you got those shots. GREAT piccie of the trolley! I bet the city would like to use that, looks great (in my humble opinion). When I lived there we had a little boat and would tie off not too far from there to visit downtown. Of course, boating in Mission Bay's fun, too, go to the Barefoot Bar by boat.. In any event, I like the shots. Downtown gives you so much to work with.

Next stop: Hillcrest! (The land of well-decorated homes.)
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Kid, I know exactly where you got those shots. GREAT piccie of the trolley! I bet the city would like to use that, looks great (in my humble opinion). When I lived there we had a little boat and would tie off not too far from there to visit downtown. Of course, boating in Mission Bay's fun, too, go to the Barefoot Bar by boat.. In any event, I like the shots. Downtown gives you so much to work with.

Next stop: Hillcrest! (The land of well-decorated homes.)
    Thanks... i used a bunch of make shift tripods that night.(newstand, dumbsters). Have you been by lately to see the new petco park, its really nice. I have some pics from opening night. i didn't goto the game but got some pics of everyone going :(
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 20, 2004
    Thanks... i used a bunch of make shift tripods that night.(newstand, dumbsters). Have you been by lately to see the new petco park, its really nice. I have some pics from opening night. i didn't goto the game but got some pics of everyone going :(
    The freeway shot is nice. So's the trolly.

Give us some shots of downtown from Coronado. Especially if the towers
    are lit.

Good luck on your deployment. Stay safe.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    The freeway shot is nice. So's the trolly.

Give us some shots of downtown from Coronado. Especially if the towers
    are lit.

Good luck on your deployment. Stay safe.

Ian

i seem to be having problems getting a good pic form coronado. i think it has something to do with petco park leaves there lights on all night.. any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    i seem to be having problems getting a good pic form coronado. i think it has something to do with petco park leaves there lights on all night.. any suggestions?
    Been a while since I was down that way. Forgot about that.

I don't know if this will work or not. At night, you can get away with
    covering a part of the lens during the exposure. Astro-photos are often
    "interrupted" by covering the scope when a plane flies by. Maybe you
    could shield the park for a part of the exposure?

Ian
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    No, I haven't seen that area in a couple of years. I've been too busy pouting that Jack Murphy Stadium was renamed (blech) Qualcomm Stadium.

I had two favorite launches in San Diego bay, Shelter Island (can't beat their all-night parking with a stick), and Glorietta. I liked fishing under piers 13-17 (barring tugboat traffic, I really hate getting swamped by those deep wakes).

Used to do the Glorietta thing for July 4th for many, many years. And guess what - I moved down there for a job w/Petschmo at their corp. HQ when they set up an aquatics distribution center. Talk about a charge, I started working in August, right before the Air Show, the Blue Angels did their low-to-ground practice runs practically over our heads. CONTRAILS! YEE HAW! <shiver>
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    There's lots of lip-flapping and not many photos. So...here's my first submission. Police chopper overhead.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    w...w....wh...:roll where did it crash :lol :lol :lol
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    taken on friday, nyc's central park. shot in infrared, converted to b&w, then added a separate toning layer.

toning process explained here

2958191-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    fish wrote:
    There's lots of lip-flapping and not many photos. So...here's my first submission. Police chopper overhead.
    Fish,

How long before you passed out headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    andy wrote:
    taken on friday, nyc's central park. shot in infrared, converted to b&w, then added a separate toning layer.

toning process explained here
    Andy,

Thanks for the pointer to the article. I'm going to try that and see what
    happens.

Ian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    Love the link, Andy - thanks!

Good assignment for me, fishman, that's exactly what I was planning to shoot tonight anyway.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Love the link, Andy - thanks!

Good assignment for me, fishman, that's exactly what I was planning to shoot tonight anyway.
    Glad to hear this is a whine-free assignment for you, waxman. :D

Today was almost a complete bust for me...completely uninspired. Maybe better luck tomorrow.

2964809-M.jpg

2964944-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    Here's a couple;

2965188-M.jpg

2965181-M.jpg

2965195-M.jpg

• Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Here's a couple;
    Nice shots, but what about the "motion" part? :thwak

btw, your sidestand is down.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2004
    fish wrote:

btw, your sidestand is down.
    I figure I have the rest of the week for some motion. Actually, I sat around
    and waited for the train. Those pictures sucked bad (chimp'ed 'em).

Did you notice the bug spooge on the screen? What about the upgrade?

ian
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    Just a quick response
    A couple of motion/transportation shots.

2968272-M.jpg

2968273-M.jpg

2968274-M.jpg

I will try and actually work at this tomorrow.

Deacon
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Here's some motion for ya

2971315-M.jpg(PUI!!!)
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    Ok, it's rare I ask, but here goes: PUI? headscratch.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Ok, it's rare I ask, but here goes: PUI? headscratch.gif
    Posting Under Influence...been a long, long week. Settle back for some
    beers...only I've had a few too many thumb.gif
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    fear and joy
    Her 1st Ride....
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Here's some motion for ya

And a little more motion......
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    Ok this ain't great, but it is traspartation, and it allows me to ask a question of those who have bikes. I have a friend going to Atlanta next week on business and he is thinking of renting a bike for the weekend, Any of you bikers live in that area? If so please e-mail me. Thanks!
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    what do I win.

2976459-O.jpg
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    Xperimental shot called Xplane taken today 0430 A.M. (Like, Xplane how come you took such a wierd photograph)