Options

Assignment for the Week: 3/19 - 3/26

Comments

• Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    Here are some motion/transportation shots. I used a rear flash sync to get the trailing lights and capture the vehicle.

3020379-M.jpg

3020384-M.jpg

3020391-M.jpg

3020399-M.jpg

3020407-M.jpg

3020415-M.jpg

Yes, a tough assignment Fish, but challenges make it worthwhile.

Deacon
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    Deacon wrote:
    Here are some motion/transportation shots. I used a rear flash sync to get the trailing lights and capture the vehicle.
    All those car driving fellas problably thought they were cought speeding....
    I think I saw a 20 mph sign ahead....

Nice picts... and good that you didn't try to shoot them approaching cars.. blinding them with your flash!!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2004
    Yup, there is a high frequency of photo radar on this particular stretch. Flash, break lights, Flash, break lights. I think I just figured out how to get them to slow down in front of my house! Wife was with me and concerned that someone would stop. I just told her that I would explain that Fish made me do it!

Deacon
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Boston Mass taken from the Longfellow...

Nice one, dugmar. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Ok this ain't great, but it is traspartation, and it allows me to ask a question of those who have bikes. I have a friend going to Atlanta next week on business and he is thinking of renting a bike for the weekend, Any of you bikers live in that area? If so please e-mail me. Thanks!

I sent you a PM, Sam.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    Tonights Paddlewheeler going past...we have 2 that go past a few times every night. They make a great sound with the paddles hitting the water...they sound like a steam engine.

3021634-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Tonights Paddlewheeler going past...we have 2 that go past a few times every night. They make a great sound with the paddles hitting the water...they sound like a steam engine.

3021634-L.jpg
    Great shot Humy is there a sound track to go with that??
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 23, 2004
    Deacon wrote:

Deacon
    Can you explain in a little more detail how you did that? Its very cool! (what camera/flash?) thanks.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    Max Power wrote:
    Hi Fish. wave.gif
    Howdy MJ...er, MP! wave.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2004
    Rear Sync
    The shots were done with a Nikon D2h. There are a variety of flash settings on the camera. The one I used is "rear sync". It fires the flash at the end of the exposure rather than the first part of an exposure. With a standard flash and longer exposure you would get the car or object fixed then colored lines running through the image. With rear sync you pick up the images from tail lights etc and then at the end of the exposure the flash fires capturing the subject.

The type of flash should not make any difference as this is an in camera setting.

Deacon
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    <<<<Envious

Hum thats simply beautiful! I really like the view. Great capture!
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2004
    Deacon wrote:
    The shots were done with a Nikon D2h. There are a variety of flash settings on the camera. The one I used is "rear sync". It fires the flash at the end of the exposure rather than the first part of an exposure. With a standard flash and longer exposure you would get the car or object fixed then colored lines running through the image. With rear sync you pick up the images from tail lights etc and then at the end of the exposure the flash fires capturing the subject.

The type of flash should not make any difference as this is an in camera setting.

Deacon
    Cool thanks... wish my camera had flash settings.
    Erik

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    <<<<Envious

Hum thats simply beautiful! I really like the view. Great capture!
    tks lyn & FU's....

I am about to lose it....10 stories going up right in the middle of my view :cry

lyn you knew what that was going to do didnt you ? ! Im going to have that song in my head now for the rest of the bloody day !
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    All it takes is $330. deal.gif

Order up a Speedlite 550EX and you'll get flash compensation and rear curtain sync with your digirebel. thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    tks lyn & FU's....

I am about to lose it....10 stories going up right in the middle of my view :cry

Oh Humy I'm sorry to hear that...can you move higher up? or maybe it's time to move altogether.. or... maybe you'll have to be like Waxy and sneak around with your camera late at night..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    or... maybe you'll have to be like Waxy and sneak around with your camera late at night..rolleyes1.gif
    And this is a good thing, right -- sneaking around late at night with a cameraLaughing.gif Oh, Waxy what are you up to?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    This time by the rules. Taken this afternoon in Newton Highlands, MA.

3038789-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

Mine does, but I'm curious if a digital slave flash would "honor" things such as the 1rst & 2nd curtain flashes (as it's described in my manual). headscratch.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Mine does, but I'm curious if a digital slave flash would "honor" things such as the 1rst & 2nd curtain flashes (as it's described in my manual). headscratch.gif

i'm not an expert by any means, but it seems to me that the slaves do what the master tells them to do (or they go without their supper). so if the master is firing on rear curtain, I would assume the slaves would follow suit.
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    Hum, screw that man. Get a petition going! Dont let 'the man' put you down. Isn't the whole building pissed? Just not right to lose a view like that. TAKE CONTROL! rolleyes1.gif
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    The 420EX should do the same as the 550. It works fine on my lowly G3, surely it would do the same on the 300D? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    I've been working like a dog, haven't had any time to shoot. I hope to get some time on Friday.I did shoot a little, before the rains came on Saturday night... but it's all awful.

3041414-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    I have a poor habit of not checking all of my camera's settings. It's caught me out a few times. On Saturday I not only picked a poor location... but I forgot I had set the thing to ISO 400. Ugh.

3041505-M.jpg

Here's another version. headscratch.gif

3041676-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    motion...slow motion.
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    Assignment Combo
    For the Triangle Assignment I submitted two really bad pictures of Bartle Hall. Last night I did a re-shoot. The building makes a much better night-time subject. An additional benefit was light trails made by cars. So now my triangle subject is also my transportation in motion subject.

3046297-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    For the Triangle Assignment I submitted two really bad pictures of Bartle Hall. Last night I did a re-shoot. The building makes a much better night-time subject. An additional benefit was light trails made by cars. So now my triangle subject is also my transportation in motion subject.
    Teacher's pet.
    :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    The 420EX should do the same as the 550. It works fine on my lowly G3, surely it would do the same on the 300D? ne_nau.gif
    Well, yeah, if I had a 420EX. I'm just working with the built in.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I have a poor habit of not checking all of my camera's settings. It's caught me out a few times. On Saturday I not only picked a poor location... but I forgot I had set the thing to ISO 400. Ugh.

3041505-M.jpg

Here's another version. headscratch.gif

3041676-M.jpg
    Sid, stop yer whining... the're great pictures and I'm totally jelous.....clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    cletus wrote:

3046297-M.jpg
    I really like that Cletus.. really really...clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Sid, stop yer whining... the're great pictures and I'm totally jelous.....clap.gif
    p.s. sid... what settings did you use?? apart from the wrong ISO??