Options

Assignment for the Week: 3/19 - 3/26

Comments

• Options
    KimRKimR Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    1st post...
    Maybe my first post shouldn't be to an assignment...
    Does this fall into the movement assignment???? Coloring isn't the best and I know I am way out of my league :cry But I wanted to join in...Hope that was okay!
    3050117-M.jpg
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    Played around in Photoshop and got this looking much better.

3050888-M.jpg

This is a composite of two images. One was 10s @ f/8, the other was 1s @ f/8. The 10 second exposure makes up the bulk of the image.
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    Kim thats one cute lil baby. I wanna eat em up! :D You could photoshop it and pull out some of that vibrance.

And Cletus I like the captures you got going there. Ive been going buckwild with the longer exposure shots the past few days. Its kinda new for me, so I'm still testing fstop settings with shutter speed, while using different filters. Its kinda tough to pull off in daytime cause everything gets so blown out. And another thing that sucks is my camera has a maximum of 8 second exposure. Guess I can still do a little with that, but I really wish I could control it more.
    What camera you using??
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    What camera you using??
    Canon G5
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    And also Cletus I really feel like I've seen that highway before. Looks so familiar to me. I've cruised through Missourri, but Im not sure if its the same location. Feel like Ive been through there though. headscratch.gif
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    And also Cletus I really feel like I've seen that highway before. Looks so familiar to me. I've cruised through Missourri, but Im not sure if its the same location. Feel like Ive been through there though. headscratch.gif
    If you drove through Kansas City there's a very good chance you drove right past this spot. It's where I-70 and I-35 (the only two interstates that go through Kansas City) meet.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    Drive by...
    Somehow the drive by shooting and the transportation in motion ideas have gotten mixed up in my mind. So I've been taking my point&shoot with me on my commute from Newton to Waltham and back. It's fun, but probably more dangerous than talking on a cell phone while driving around.

3057187-M.jpg

3057174-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Somehow the drive by shooting and the transportation in motion ideas have gotten mixed up in my mind. So I've been taking my point&shoot with me on my commute from Newton to Waltham and back. It's fun, but probably more dangerous than talking on a cell phone while driving around.
    Yeah! Fun isn't it?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    3056058-S.jpgtrash barge dumpster transfer3056061-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    Backyard old transportation Model A Jitterbug3056043-S.jpg3056040-S.jpg it used to run
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    Win38-55 wrote:
    Backyard old transportation Model A Jitterbug3056043-S.jpg3056040-S.jpg it used to run

That post is an excellent example of "in-focus" vs. "out-of-focus". 1drink.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    That post is an excellent example of "in-focus" vs. "out-of-focus". 1drink.gif
    Ya, I gotta focus on cleaning the backyard up.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    p.s. sid... what settings did you use?? apart from the wrong ISO??

Hi Lynn. wave.gif

The shot through the bar window was 4 seconds at f6.3, ISO 400.

The street shot was 3.2 seconds, f8 at ISO 400.

I'm really dumb. I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get longer exposures... I'm used to being able to get at least 6-12 second exposures. I remembered to turn on the internal neutral density filter... but never looked to see that I had left the camera on ISO 400. I usually leave it on 50, rarely mess with it... and obviously, I don't pay much attention to anything in the display save for the shutter speed and aperature size. 11doh.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    3000884-S.jpg

Loadedagain???
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    Hahahaha
    Good one peachmaan. I guess you gotta do watcha gotta do, eh?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hi Lynn. wave.gif

The shot through the bar window was 4 seconds at f6.3, ISO 400.

The street shot was 3.2 seconds, f8 at ISO 400.

I'm really dumb. I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get longer exposures... I'm used to being able to get at least 6-12 second exposures. I remembered to turn on the internal neutral density filter... but never looked to see that I had left the camera on ISO 400. I usually leave it on 50, rarely mess with it... and obviously, I don't pay much attention to anything in the display save for the shutter speed and aperature size. 11doh.gif
    Hmmm... the iso on my camera does'nt go down to 50... starts at 100 .. neutral density filter???eek7.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 25, 2004
    rutt wrote:

3057187-M.jpg

3057174-M.jpg
    Driving from Newton to Waltham! AND taking pictures at the same time! If I remember that neighborhood at all, you need to get a bicycle, bet it'll cut your commute in half - maybe safer and easier to stop and take photos too.

:D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Driving from Newton to Waltham! AND taking pictures at the same time! If I remember that neighborhood at all, you need to get a bicycle, bet it'll cut your commute in half - maybe safer and easier to stop and take photos too.

All true. But I was inspired by Fish and had to try it. It's not the best idea, but then again, neither are a lot of fun things.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 25, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I was inspired by Fish ...
    Well there's your problem.

Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    jdellisjdellis Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    All:

This pic doesn't meet the rules, as it was shot last October, but I figured it would be a good enough excuse for a first post to say howdy! Found the site through smugmug, and I caught the digital bug last year. First with a Nikon 2100, and then after both the original and warranty unit died, a Kodak DX6490. Looking forward to getting back to the track to try out the 10X lens mwink.gif

Anyway, this pic is Turns 10A & 10B at Road Atlanta during night practice for the American Le Mans Series cars for the Petit Le Mans 1000km sports car enduro.

1095339-M.jpg

-jde
  • Options
    SavannahManSavannahMan Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    Warning!!! Ignorance Approaches!!!
    Okay, forgive me. I'm new @ this. I'm new @ being a newb. Never even seen a camera before this one... anybody know what a "power button" is¿ hmmmm.... took this in my front yard just so i could tell my self i had participated.... i have, haven't i¿
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 25, 2004
    WellWicked.gif............. If we're going to just show cars - lets show a real drivers car.....lickout.gif3018377-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    Okay, forgive me. I'm new @ this. I'm new @ being a newb. Never even seen a camera before this one... anybody know what a "power button" is¿ hmmmm.... took this in my front yard just so i could tell my self i had participated.... i have, haven't i¿

Yup, you sure have. Welcome aboard. wave.gif Not bad, figuring out trails so early in your learning curve!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    jdellis wrote:
    All:

Anyway, this pic is Turns 10A & 10B at Road Atlanta during night practice for the American Le Mans Series cars for the Petit Le Mans 1000km sports car enduro.
    -jde

The story makes the shot suddenly a lot more interesting. Very cool.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hmmm... the iso on my camera does'nt go down to 50... starts at 100 .. neutral density filter???eek7.gif

Dunno if ISO is truly a universal measure in digital cameras. I've read reviews that call one camera's ISO 60 the same as another camera's ISO 100. ne_nau.gif

But even if your 300D is constrained by a faster ISO, you benefit from a much broader f-stop range on your camera. You're only limited by the minimum f-stop of whatever lens you're using, whereas I stop at f8. So you can get good trails by stopping down to f22, maybe more.

The Neutral Density filter, as I understand it, is a transparent filter which cuts down the incoming light by a measured amount. It does not affect colors. On your SLR, you would decide whether you want to cut the light by 1 stop, or 4 stops, for example, then attach the appropriate neutral density filter to the lens. Again, by limiting the amount of light getting in, you can do longer exposures, and thus get better trails.

My camera has a version of a neutral density filter. It's an internal function. It's either on or off. When it's off, my camera lets in one or two less stops of light... not sure exactly how much less, the manual doesn't say and I can't remember what the settings say when I change it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    River ferry going past...

3081180-L.jpg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    and posted one of the best pics in IMO. Welcome
  • Options
    SavannahManSavannahMan Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    and posted one of the best pics in IMO. Welcome
    (embarrassed grin) Thank you. Didn't realize it was even okay. lol. I've had mid-price digitals for awhile, but never done anything other than point-and shoot. Figured it was time to learn how to use a camera. Will be looking to all for guidance, any cruel, sarcastic, malicious criticism is eagerly desired.

...and to prove my newbosity...what's IMO¿
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    Okay kids...this assignment ends today, so get your submissions in.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2004
    Gimme until midnight tonight, OK fishy? I've been working 18 straight, this is my first day off. I gotta shot in mind, dunno if I have the modest skills needed to pull it off. or even if it's a good idea. mwink.gif
    Sid.