Options

Announcing Smugfoto for Facebook

Comments

• Options
    ebswiftebswift Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Hey, thanks for all these updates & listening to feedback. Its really coming along great.

One other thing I noticed about the Custom URL setting. It doesnt work if you leave right-click protection off & a visitor clicks on one of the sizes below a photo. It takes them to the Smugmug address & not the custom address.
    I appreciate you giving feedback :). Your latest report is acknowledged and recorded for further action... http://www.ebswift.com/bugtrack/mantis/view.php?id=110

Thanks!

Try Smugfoto in Facebook for displaying your SmugMug galleries.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2009
    One other thing I noticed about the Custom URL setting. It doesnt work if you leave right-click protection off & a visitor clicks on one of the sizes below a photo. It takes them to the Smugmug address & not the custom address.
    This is fixed & in production.

• Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    ebswift wrote:
    This is fixed & in production.
    Sweet! You're the king of speedy fixes. thumb.gif Thanks again.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    RE: SmugFoto (and other Apps) on Facebook:

"Hi Andy,

I sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to your question. The license mentioned in our terms and referenced in my previous email still applies to content displayed within Facebook applications. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Maurice
    Platform Developer Operations & Support
    Facebook"

This means that according to Facebook, they'll apply the same terms to photos that come from external apps.

Read the terms CAREFULLY.
    http://www.facebook.com/terms.php?ref=pf
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    I appreciate the input Andy. Hopefully the new T/C's will be a little more sane. If it ever got to a legal judgement, there is always the word 'reasonable' that is used in court, and I think FB would fail miserably on that test if they ever tried to enforce the right to use somebody's photos for commercial gain. There was quite a large backlash and I think FB is backpeddling fast.

• Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Is there an option somewhere that would allow all the categories/sub-categories/albums to retain the same featured photo as is in our Smugmug site while browsing inside SmugFoto? I notice the featured photos change everytime SmugFoto is accessed.

If not, I'm officially making a request. :D
  • Options
    mjohnsonperlmjohnsonperl Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Are there any solutions for listing photos from a smugmug account that has a site password on FaceBook?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Category feature photos are now working. I gave it a good test on my account and it looks much better.

edit: you may need to clear your cache from settings to see the change

• Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    ebswift wrote:
    Category feature photos are now working. I gave it a good test on my account and it looks much better.

edit: you may need to clear your cache from settings to see the change
    I've found they're working in all but one type of scenario. See my other thread regarding category position for more details.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Any chance Smugfoto can make it onto the Hacks and Apps wiki page? It's been out for a couple of years and has a couple of thousand users so far.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    I think I have finally fixed the feature pics issue after a fairly major refactor of code (and after I finally have a good understanding of all the non-obvious issues with displaying your categories with appropriate feature pics). Please let me know if your galleries are not reproduced as expected. Be aware that albums that have passwords, and those that do not allow external viewing are omitted from Smugfoto.

Hopefully I haven't broken anything, but if I have, and you tell me, I'll be on it.

• Options
    Tomkirk23Tomkirk23 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2009
    Use on a Facebook "Page"
    Hi -

Can SmugFoto be used on a Facebook "page", as opposed to a personal profile? Perhaps I am missing it...

Thanks,

Tom K.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    Hi there Tom, I suppose now is the time for Smugfoto's next evolutionary step into facebook's mystical land of pages. I'm working on it now, wish me luck ;).

• Options
    picturethisdetroitpicturethisdetroit Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    The Smug Foto app looks great and I have been trying to get it working on my facebook for over a month now :(

I can install it with no problems but when i click on the icon to actually use the app, all i keep getting is this page message.

"Error while loading page from Smugfoto

There are still a few kinks Facebook and the makers of Smugfoto are trying to iron out. We appreciate your patience as we try to fix these issues. Your problem has been logged - if it persists, please come back in a few days. Thanks

"

My facebook is
    http://www.facebook.com/detroitevents

and you can find my smugmug site in my signature.

please advise... Id really love to share the enthusiasm everyone else seems to have for this app. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    ebswift wrote:
    Hi there Tom, I suppose now is the time for Smugfoto's next evolutionary step into facebook's mystical land of pages. I'm working on it now, wish me luck ;).

Good luck!!!! I'd like to have it link off to my several portfolio galleries without having to upload anything special to FB. One online storage should be enough, right?!? clap.gif

Good luck!
    NateW
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    is there a way to get the app link to show up somewhere else with perhaps one of our own pics? Right now the only way to get to this app from either my business page or my personal is by clicking on that little link at the botton, which i always miss and so assume many others do too.
  • Options
    dschae1dschae1 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2009
    Does the Smugphoto app support some functionality where it can be seen from my Wall somehow? I just installed it and I see it just fine as one of the tabs on my profile, but I don't think anyone will ever see it if it is only visible there.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2009
    There should be an add to profile button once you go into the app - which will probably not be visible when just looking at the first screen in a tab. This will display four random images in the left-hand column on your profile unless you specify a single feature image to display in the settings instead. Let me know if this doesn't do what you're looking for.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    ebswift wrote:
    There should be an add to profile button once you go into the app - which will probably not be visible when just looking at the first screen in a tab. This will display four random images in the left-hand column on your profile unless you specify a single feature image to display in the settings instead. Let me know if this doesn't do what you're looking for.
    I found the setting on the third tab [Additional Permissions] and checked it like below:

Smugfoto has permission to:
    Publish recent activity (one line stories) to my wall

However, I saw no change on my wall or profile. I will be adding new images today, maybe that will trigger it?

I'd like some images to show up on the wall when I upload as well...I get this ability from Flickr, will Smugfoto do this too?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    dschae1 wrote:
    I found the setting on the third tab [Additional Permissions] and checked it like below:

Smugfoto has permission to:
    Publish recent activity (one line stories) to my wall

However, I saw no change on my wall or profile. I will be adding new images today, maybe that will trigger it?

I'd like some images to show up on the wall when I upload as well...I get this ability from Flickr, will Smugfoto do this too?

Images were added to Smugmug yesterday...still no link to Facebook (Unless I go to the app directly).

Does anyone know a way to get some samples to appear on my wall so friends can see I added content to Smugmug?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    dschae1 wrote:
    Images were added to Smugmug yesterday...still no link to Facebook (Unless I go to the app directly).

Does anyone know a way to get some samples to appear on my wall so friends can see I added content to Smugmug?

I think I found a solution (another app called SimpleMug). Thanks for the help trying to get Smugfoto to work.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2009
    dschae1 wrote:
    I think I found a solution (another app called SimpleMug). Thanks for the help trying to get Smugfoto to work.
    I'm still not understanding the problem... When you add the application then visit it, there is a button at the top "Add to Profile". When you click that, it adds a profile box on the left-hand side of your profile - not the wall. That means it is visible to all visitors to your profile; it will show either a single selected feature image, or a selection of four random images depending on what you select in settings.

If you need updates being published to your wall, Smugfoto does not do that, but that didn't seem to be the issue from what you were asking.

• Options
    cosgravestudioscosgravestudios Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    SmugFoto and Fan Pages
    I'm trying to add the app to my fan pages and although I've got through the steps, all that appears on my fan pages with I select the Smugfoto tab is a small "hello" link at the top. If I click on that "Hello world" appears. Most of the time though, nothing appears. The app works fine on my profile, but no luck with fan pages. Any suggestions Troy? Thanks!
    http://www.facebook.com/cosgravestudios
  • Options
    Carl314Carl314 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2010
    Post Story to Home Page
    Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing for Smugfoto to post something on my home page when I upload new albums? I have the application permissions set to allow it, but no stories yet, after a couple days of use and multiple new album.

Cheers, Carl.
  • Options
    cosgravestudioscosgravestudios Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    smugfoto still not working on fan pages
    still no luck. i uninstalled the app and reinstalled to my fan page but nothing loads. i just get a blank page. http://www.facebook.com/cosgravestudios?v=app_8226496548
  • Options
    Captain TurnipCaptain Turnip Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Just downloaded and applied this. Works great. Thanks for doing this.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    I haven't had a chance to get facebook pages working yet unfortunately. Facebook is horribly confusing to code for, at least SmugMug are nice to us poor coders.

To follow Smugfoto's development you can visit its home page here:

http://www.smugfoto.com

At the bottom of that page is the issue tracker that will auto-update as issues are resolved or added. That list is in no particular order.

The priorities for Smugfoto's development are:

0000129: Get working with Pages
    0000112: Implement selective gallery display

The priority of those two would lean towards Pages, but if I get too bogged down I might have to re-prioritise to the selective gallery display.

• Options
    kmlkml Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    Just added it and it works like a charm. Many thanks to you!!
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Has this stopped working? I used it on Facebook in the past but now when I try to click on 'go to application' from the Smugfoto fan page so I can add it to my page (not a personal facebook page, one for my photo site I made), it just goes to a mostly blank page. Is this app dead or just a temporary glitch?

...Oh, never mind. Just saw your previous posting about this...
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2010
    Pages and selective Galleries is now live for Smugfoto! Check it out in action here:

ebswift.com Fan Page

Please report bugs!