Options

The coupon feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    iklimon wrote:
    I feel like a zombie stumbling around, but instead of moaning "brains" I'm moaning "coupons" and "packages"

eek7.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=956896&postcount=11

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Just some updates, such as they are.

Hang in there, folks, we really appreciate it!
  • Options
    lukaitis photolukaitis photo Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    discount coupons
    Just checking in to see where we were out with discount coupons in our galleries.

Thanks
    Scott
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Just checking in to see where we were out with discount coupons in our galleries.

Thanks
    Scott

No action on this topic in over a month, from what I can find.

Is there any update on coupons/packages, as we approach the new year?

jon
    Jon Lyksett
    Take Flight Photography
    www.takeflightphoto.com
  • Options
    tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Andy knows I'm waiting for this, too, but thought I'd chime in to see if there were any announcements coming this year.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2008
    Andy knows I'm waiting for this, too, but thought I'd chime in to see if there were any announcements coming this year.

Thanks!
    Just to announce that we don't pre-announce our announcements :D

We're on it - minor hitch in the works, but we'll get them done. First though, new pro lab to get done and released :D
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    I hate to add to the din, but what's the status on those coupons?

I realize you're all dealing with the site messing up right now… but once you get that figured out, can we get an update?

It just seems like coupons have been discussed for so long, but there hasn't been any visible progress. Even a hold-over would be better than this darkness (something like $50, prepaid, including shipping, to expire in x months). I don't understand what's so difficult… so many other services offer this, why not SmugMug?

Also, while I appreciate the great SmugMug culture, it would be nice if there were a little more professionalism in the language. I don't care enough to leave SmugMug over the language used, but I think it's stubborn, almost to the point of condescension (if that makes sense), to brush off those of us who want to cater to a clientele who don't have an inner-kid anymore.

Just think… an update could be an early Chrismahanakwansika gift.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    termina3 wrote:

I realize you're all dealing with the site messing up right now… but once you get that figured out, can we get an update?

It just seems like coupons have been discussed for so long, but there hasn't been any visible progress. Even a hold-over would be better than this darkness (something like $50, prepaid, including shipping, to expire in x months). I don't understand what's so difficult… so many other services offer this, why not SmugMug?

Also, while I appreciate the great SmugMug culture, it would be nice if there were a little more professionalism in the language. I don't care enough to leave SmugMug over the language used, but I think it's stubborn, almost to the point of condescension (if that makes sense), to brush off those of us who want to cater to a clientele who don't have an inner-kid anymore.

Just think… an update could be an early Chrismahanakwansika gift.
    We're working on 'em. Bigger things to come first (we've mentioned 'em, pro lab being the biggest)... then we can attend to coupons, hopefully. They've been started! But we still have the backend stuff to deal with.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    termina3 wrote:

I like Smugmug a lot. But back in 2006 when I was shooting 2 or 3 kart and motocross races per weekend I had to go with Exposure Manager. Proof-only uploads, the ability to self-fulfill any product and create my own product type, digital downloads (which could also be from a proof-only upload, which Smugmug does not support, its only done for prints), packages, sales, discount codes, and photo vouchers (i.e. coupons) were all available.

http://www.exposuremanager.com/scripts/website.pl?rm=profit&page=sell_more
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Coupon
    Just wondered if there had been any movement on the coupon idea. If not, then does anyone have an idea on how I can incorporate coupons into my work? Please note though, I will NOT leave SmugMug...they have been too good to me.

Blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    Koinonia Farm
    Americus, GA

www.JourneyAmerica.org
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    I could live with a scenario like the 7 day proofing period to begin with. Don't charge the credit card until I approve a coupon usage.
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    CDpayetCDpayet Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    Another one waiting..
    I know that y'all have a lot going on, but man oh man, how I would love to have a % off coupon to offer right now. Pretty please with a Venti Starbucks with 4-5 shots of espresso to help keep you up late enough to "git 'er dun!"
  • Options
    jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    CDpayet wrote:
    I know that y'all have a lot going on, but man oh man, how I would love to have a % off coupon to offer right now. Pretty please with a Venti Starbucks with 4-5 shots of espresso to help keep you up late enough to "git 'er dun!"
    I second that! And I'll include a quarter pound of espresso bean bark dark chocolate and a pound of fresh pecans from our farm here.

Jerry Nelson
    Koinonia Farm
    Americua, GA 31719
    www.KoinoniaPartners.org
    877-738-1741
    jnelson@koinoniapartners.org
  • Options
    chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    I like Smugmug a lot. But back in 2006 when I was shooting 2 or 3 kart and motocross races per weekend I had to go with Exposure Manager. Proof-only uploads, the ability to self-fulfill any product and create my own product type, digital downloads (which could also be from a proof-only upload, which Smugmug does not support, its only done for prints), packages, sales, discount codes, and photo vouchers (i.e. coupons) were all available.

http://www.exposuremanager.com/scripts/website.pl?rm=profit&page=sell_more

Never heard of them, but read their site and really like the idea of vouchers, packages, promotions and discount codes. A thorough system like that would be golden.
  • Options
    leightonocleightonoc Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    coupons
    Hi, What is the latest on the coupon/discount feature?

Thanks, Leighton
    Leighton

Nautical & Travel Photographer

http://leightonPHOTO.com
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    leightonoc wrote:
    Hi, What is the latest on the coupon/discount feature?

Thanks, Leighton
    It's been asked again in the Bay Photo announce thread, too - we just had a major big release for us, the addition of a new lab. Coupons are going to be done by one of the engineers that was on that effort. So, it's getting much, much closer.
  • Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It's been asked again in the Bay Photo announce thread, too - we just had a major big release for us, the addition of a new lab. Coupons are going to be done by one of the engineers that was on that effort. So, it's getting much, much closer.

Andy - Thanks for the update on the coupons but don't forget about packages too.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2009
    Sledhed wrote:
    don't forget about packages too.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1027459&postcount=21
  • Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2009
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2009
    Sorry if these have already been said, but please just count it as another vote...

Print Credit for the wedding photographer example :). +1

Also, in the shopping cart, after a coupon is applied, it should show what it does, IE: 15% off order total, 150 4x6 print credit, or what ever else - like packages?
    But, my point is, pros should be able to also have it display a brief description. Like "holiday savings sale" or "referral from new York city youth soccer discount" haha

Thanks!
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    jmarkworth1jmarkworth1 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Coupon Discrimination - Say it ain't so!
    Ok, I am sorry for joining this discussion so late...

Percentage Off AND $$ Value Coupons (aka gift cards)

Public Coupons AND Private (registered to site 'customers' - maybe an extension of the email list - allowing site visitors to register)

Unlimited / No Restrictions, Minimum Spend, Maximum $$ Discount, Threshold for kickers - 10% on first $500, 15% on next, and 25% after $1000, expiration dates

Open to all products, restricted to certain products, only good for bundles - here is a coupon for the standard sports package (prepaid $$) and the opportunity to save an additional 10% on additional orders through December 15, 2009...

Electronic distribution and scheduled reminder system (hey did you know you had a coupon, better use it before it expires...)

The ability to select a background picture for the pdf coupon 'card' with a few lines of personalized text.

A unique alphanumeric code system for the coupon so that they can be tracked.

A site owner set campaign code system for the coupon so that the event / marketing campaign can be tracked.

The ability / option to store a credit card number with a registered site user's profile - much the same as amazon does where credit cards can be stored for "one click" checkout - mind you, this is not my site credit card, but for registered customers.

Having some experience developing databases I am fully aware of what I am asking for. I also know that, even if all of the features are not offered initially, setting the data structure is like laying the cornerstone of a building - it can either support or handicap.

I do a lot of event photography - tons of sporting events - and it would be great if parents / friends could give the gift of smugphotos in $50 or $100 increments.

I think coupons have the ability to drive massive amounts of revenue for all concerned.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2009
    One more thing...
    Works with public, password protected and hidden (private) galleries
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Pro-Pro Service
    I am curious. If this level of service was available, would it be worth more than the current annual pro subscription rate?

I haven't looked everywhere, but I have not been able to find a site that has the friendly characteristics of smugmug with the e-commerce capabilities that a independent photographer / small studio would enjoy. When I consider the investment I would need to make to actually develop such a site, I begin to realize the real value.

I would be willing to double my current pro subscription rate to have full e-commerce capabilities.

Any takers?
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    I am curious. If this level of service was available, would it be worth more than the current annual pro subscription rate?

I would be willing to double my current pro subscription rate to have full e-commerce capabilities.

Any takers?

No.

Part of what I expect from the investment in a Pro membership is adding new features on a regular basis.

There are other hosting options that already offer some of the features SM is "working on", and some of them even cost less than a current Pro subscription here. For now the total package here outweighs some of the added goodies elsewhere, but if SM can't pull coupons together real soon it may be time to look again.
  • Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Does Smugmug have a realse date yet for the coupon feature?

Thanks,
    Baldy wrote:
    bigWebGuy is thoroughly exhausted after releasing the shopping cart and he has some tuning to finish, like banning the color button for pros.

But... Then he's ready to work coupons. We wanted to check that we're up to date on the latest coupon feature list. Far as I know, it's:

1. The ability to set fixed dollar amounts or percentages.

2. Ability to set an expiration date. I heard a little rumbling about wanting to set a number of uses/coupon. Is that important?

3. Ability to withdraw coupon amounts from pro profits and if the reserve isn't high enough, then charge the card on file to make up the difference.

4. Some reporting.

We hope you're not asking to make coupons gallery-specific, because that's hard.

Your thoughts.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009

Thanks,

No. SmugMug has repeatedly said that it will not divulge any type of release date or development schedule.
  • Options
    KevynKevyn Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2009

Thanks,

Are you kidding me? This thread was started in 2003 and it's now 2009!!!!

You do the math. Coupons are never coming.
  • Options
    KevynKevyn Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2009

I haven't looked everywhere, but I have not been able to find a site that has the friendly characteristics of smugmug with the e-commerce capabilities that a independent photographer / small studio would enjoy. When I consider the investment I would need to make to actually develop such a site, I begin to realize the real value.

Any takers?

Buddy, if you want to pay double, feel free to open yourself up a second account, but don't think for a second the rest of us want to sign up for doubled rates for the little that's offered.

Given the Obamanomics, I have to look at consolidating to a single photo-hosting provider. I wouldn't try to sell weddings out of smugmug, it's too limited. No packages, no way to collect state sales taxes, etc. I like smugmug but it's not the only game in town...
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Kevyn wrote:
    Are you kidding me? This thread was started in 2003 and it's now 2009!!!!

You do the math. Coupons are never coming.

Hey Kevin - where do you see the 2003 date? June 08 is what I see. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    timganglofftimgangloff Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    Maybe not 2003, but
    The big web guy wrote back at the start of this thread in mid-2008 that he was tired from getting the new cart working, and that is great, but hopefully he has gotten some rest in the intervening 9 months.

I think some of the negative comments come from the fact that this feature has been requested for at least the last 2 years that I have been here, but we are apparently no closer now than we were when I got here or more specifically, when this thread was initiated.

I know, I know, it really important and you are working on it very hard, but first there are a couple of other issues/things to get working or so the company line goes.
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey Kevin - where do you see the 2003 date? June 08 is what I see. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    I think some of the negative comments come from the fact that this feature has been requested for at least the last 2 years that I have been here, but we are apparently no closer now than we were when I got here or more specifically, when this thread was initiated.

I don't think that's a fair comment... Andy this past month (in THIS thread) said the following about the status of this feature:
    "It's been asked again in the Bay Photo announce thread, too - we just had a major big release for us, the addition of a new lab. Coupons are going to be done by one of the engineers that was on that effort. So, it's getting much, much closer."

Unless you know more about internal feature development than Andy, saying that we're no closer now than 2 years ago is a bit harsh... :thwak
This discussion has been closed.