Options

The coupon feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Seems that this coupon thing is a dead horse and no one is listening....w

I'm sorry you must have missed my posts.. I've posted that coupons are in active, aggressive development. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Andy,

How about this? Presumably since coupons have been in active development for many months, you are past the stage of defining major functional requirements and are deep into testing. Perhaps you could share with your clients what the functions will be? For certain user interface may be going through some changes but I would expect the major functions should be well defined. Any chance of being able to share functional specifications with your business partners here?
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Andy,

How about this? Presumably since coupons have been in active development for many months, you are past the stage of defining major functional requirements and are deep into testing. Perhaps you could share with your clients what the functions will be? For certain user interface may be going through some changes but I would expect the major functions should be well defined. Any chance of being able to share functional specifications with your business partners here?

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1106308&postcount=203
  • Options
    kio500kio500 Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Just wanted to put my .02¢ in and say I cannot wait for the coupons to be up and running!! It'll definitely make things easier for me:)wings.gif
    Elizabeth - Milepost Portraits
  • Options
    arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Andy, one other thought you guys might want to consider: there's obviously a huge pent-up demand for the coupons. Once you release them, you can expect a spike of support (I'm an IT Project Manager in my other life). You guys will probably want to staff up both support and coding personnel for at least 2 weeks after release....

Just a thought.
  • Options
    darklightphotographydarklightphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry you must have missed my posts.. I've posted that coupons are in active, aggressive development. Stay tuned.

Could you post a pic of this weary sorcerer, and the chains binding him to his workstation? Otherwise people might believe that you are letting him go home at night. mwink.gif
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Thanks for the link back Andy. Looks like a very good implementation.thumb.gif
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2009
    Could you post a pic of this weary sorcerer, and the chains binding him to his workstation? Otherwise people might believe that you are letting him go home at night. mwink.gif

15524779-Ti.gif :hide :whip :devbobo
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 18, 2009
    brjphoto wrote:
    The real issue is that this is taking longer than most people expected. For whatever reason, this coupon thing is dragging out longer than it should have.
    We really hate how long this has taken, so much longer than any of us expected, but I think the really crucial question now is are we doing it well.

I am a veteran of so many software battles where, ehem, we were beaten badly to market or shipped two years (cough) later than we thought we would... Each time we despaired because it looked like someone sewed the market up way ahead of us.

But in those cases it turned out that doing it well was really hard, so much harder than anyone could imagine, and thankfully the market recognized the better product once it (finally) arrived.

I've been deeply involved in packages, which I too didn't realize would be so hard. But thinking through easy ways for the customer to find the packages and fill them with products across galleries and understand aspect ratios and why the team photo is fixed and the packages don't apply to some galleries, etc., is very hard to get right.

Anyway, at least for me the moment of truth is nearing for coupons when we find out whether the extra effort we poured into them will make them as successful as we hope. Here's to hoping the reason it took longer is because we're doing it right. It sure wasn't for lack of effort.
  • Options
    pguytonpguyton Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    awesome!
    mlee wrote:
    I think this might be what you're looking for...

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/7836442_6f4qv

Mike

awesome! i can't wait ! :)
  • Options
    pguytonpguyton Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    just saw screens - looks awesome
    I just saw the screenshots; looks Awesome! I'm singing up for pro as soon as you guys implement it! :)
  • Options
    EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Andy wrote:

For the most part, looks good. One thing that seems to be missing is the ability to generate a series of numbered coupons (preferably with a random sequence added to a specified prequel) that would allow the photographer to presell coupons at an event.

For example, I shoot a dance recital and want to sell a coupon at the event for $30 worth of prints (and I may chose to sell those for $25 or $30, but the redeemable value online would be what was on the coupon). I would need to create and print <I>n</i> number of those that all expired at the same date and were numbered individually with GREATDANCE-<I>nnnn</i>, where <I>nnnn</i> could be any length randomly generated alphanumeric characters that were preferably NOT in sequence (sequential would be too easy to guess and steal). I would specify the coupon value, the text, date, etc (already in the UI), but would also need to be able to specify the prequel (GREATDANCE-), the length of the random serialization code, and how many serialized coupons I wanted to generate. Smug would generate the random sequence and create <I>n</i> coupons. For example, I say 10 GREATDANCE- coupons with a 4 digit code, and I get 10 coupons numbered perhaps something like this: GREATDANCE-932A, GREATDANCE-9524, GREATDANCE-53B2, GREATDANCE-A612, GREATDANCE-ZB45, GREATDANCE-P9H2, GREATDANCE-8392, GREATDANCE-KJ71, GREATDANCE-MQ4L, GREATDANCE-L9KW.

Only way I see to do this in the current UI (at least from the screen shots) is to create each one individually myself. Or is this a planned feature and just not showing in the screen shots provided?
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 19, 2009
    Glazener wrote:
    For the most part, looks good. One thing that seems to be missing is the ability to generate a series of numbered coupons (preferably with a random sequence added to a specified prequel) that would allow the photographer to presell coupons at an event.

For example, I shoot a dance recital and want to sell a coupon at the event for $30 worth of prints (and I may chose to sell those for $25 or $30, but the redeemable value online would be what was on the coupon). I would need to create and print n number of those that all expired at the same date and were numbered individually with GREATDANCE-nnnn, where nnnn could be any length randomly generated alphanumeric characters that were preferably NOT in sequence (sequential would be too easy to guess and steal). I would specify the coupon value, the text, date, etc (already in the UI), but would also need to be able to specify the prequel (GREATDANCE-), the length of the random serialization code, and how many serialized coupons I wanted to generate. Smug would generate the random sequence and create n coupons. For example, I say 10 GREATDANCE- coupons with a 4 digit code, and I get 10 coupons numbered perhaps something like this: GREATDANCE-932A, GREATDANCE-9524, GREATDANCE-53B2, GREATDANCE-A612, GREATDANCE-ZB45, GREATDANCE-P9H2, GREATDANCE-8392, GREATDANCE-KJ71, GREATDANCE-MQ4L, GREATDANCE-L9KW.

Only way I see to do this in the current UI (at least from the screen shots) is to create each one individually myself. Or is this a planned feature and just not showing in the screen shots provided?
    thats a great idea, however it won't make it into coupons v1. I'll keep it in mind for future releases though.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    I'm hanging in, just don't want to settle for any less than the best, and I have confidence that smug will come through. My event sales through smuggy were about $8K in the last 18 months, not their biggest pro seller by far, but the coupon and package feature will really enhance the perceived value my customers get. So I expect a boost in my orders over all despite offering discounts along the way.thumb.gif
  • Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:
    thats a great idea, however it won't make it into coupons v1. I'll keep it in mind for future releases though.

When can we look for v1 to be released?
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    When can we look for v1 to be released?
    You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.
  • Options
    leightonocleightonoc Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Hello Andy,

Do you super heroes have a date in mind for the coupons? I'll subscribe to the below link now.

Thanks,
    Leighton
    Andy wrote:
    You'll want to subscribe to our Release Notes blog, so that you don't miss a single update from SmugMug :)http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/ at the bottom, there's a link for Entries (RSS) - put that in your favorite feed reader.
    Leighton

Nautical & Travel Photographer

http://leightonPHOTO.com
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2009
    leightonoc wrote:
    Hello Andy,

Do you super heroes have a date in mind for the coupons? I'll subscribe to the below link now.

Thanks,
    Leighton
    We don't give dates, I'm sorry. But we'll announce it in release notes, for sure. And Leighton - they're coming soon.
  • Options
    Uncommon DepthUncommon Depth Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Where does one find the release notes? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    And everyone's control panel, news tab has a link to it :)
  • Options
    ColeslawSoupColeslawSoup Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2009
    Excited about coupons!
    Baldy wrote:
    bigWebGuy is thoroughly exhausted after releasing the shopping cart and he has some tuning to finish, like banning the color button for pros.

But... Then he's ready to work coupons. We wanted to check that we're up to date on the latest coupon feature list. Far as I know, it's:

1. The ability to set fixed dollar amounts or percentages.

2. Ability to set an expiration date. I heard a little rumbling about wanting to set a number of uses/coupon. Is that important?

3. Ability to withdraw coupon amounts from pro profits and if the reserve isn't high enough, then charge the card on file to make up the difference.

4. Some reporting.

We hope you're not asking to make coupons gallery-specific, because that's hard.

Your thoughts.

Just wanted to add my excitement for getting coupons up and running. This has been a major concern and desire of mine. I think adding a print credit of some sort is really a standard among many photographers. I hope this will streamline the process and allow us to increase our sales dramatically.

One question though: Will we be able to use these coupons in a manner that will allow family and friends of a newly married couple to purchase gift credits? (a sort of wedding gift registry) Maybe a thought for the future anyhow.

Thank you guys for all of your hard work and making this a great service. I'm very excited about the future of SmugMug.

Regards thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    coupons?
    So when will coupons be added??? Hopefully before the Holidays?????
    Leighton

• Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    leightonoc wrote:
    So when will coupons be added??? Hopefully before the Holidays?????
    Hi Leighton, I don't have more to add than what I said just a few days ago, above. They are in active, agressive development and your patience is appreicated.

• Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Thanks Andy. I don't do readers. I know very well how they work but I have a enough to keep up with. Did you see my sales tips for SM users that I posted last night?

Leighton
    Leighton

• Options
    adamup4adamup4 Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Great!
    Coupons really have been the only thing I've been waiting for from this site...it is an INCREDIBLE help when I can issue a specific client a coupon. You guys are truly awesome!
    www.adamsheaphoto.com - Visit Adam Shea Photography to fulfill your wedding photography needs! See why he's been rated a top wedding photographer in Wisconsin, Green Bay, Appleton, Neenah, Menasha, and Oshkosh.
  • Options
    FlowingDesertFlowingDesert Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    They are in active, agressive development and your patience is appreicated.

I know how complex coupons could be, but I know a lot of us would find some satisfaction in at least a basic version. That should not be too hard to knock out if they are in active, aggressive development, especially if they is more than one person.

I know coupons (and packages) are going to be crucial factors when my renewal comes up in a few months. Just sayin I would hate to leave, but I don't like not being able to send past customers an email with a reason to come back again. Trying to build repeat business.

Thanks
  • Options
    David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Wolf!!!!
    Anyone remember the story of the boy who cried wolf!
  • Options
    David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Okay, instead of just being critical...
    Although I've read most of this thread, I don't remember seeing this. If it's been posted just count this as a second vote. Will there be a way for Mom or Grandma to buy coupons/discounts for their lovely daughter/bride? For example, Grandma only wants one 8x10, but would like to add a $50 print credit for her granddaughter!

David
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 23, 2009
    Although I've read most of this thread, I don't remember seeing this. If it's been posted just count this as a second vote. Will there be a way for Mom or Grandma to buy coupons/discounts for their lovely daughter/bride? For example, Grandma only wants one 8x10, but would like to add a $50 print credit for her granddaughter!

David
    Not in the first release, no. Interesting idea though.
    Pedal faster
This discussion has been closed.