jeffreaux2 wrote:
    :lurk

Why dont we have a "waiting for the FedEx truck smiley?ne_nau.gif
    Because B&H ships using UPS? Maybe? j/kmwink.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    That is VERY encouraging news. I know my 85mm is off on my XTi. Hopefully I can dial it in and use it to its potential on the 50D.

I would like to see images/crops for sue if it isn't too much trouble.....and if you had a "before" shot....just to show how bad it was....that would be helpful as well.

Also, it would be extremely helpful to me....and probably to other dgrinners if you post a thread on your process that you went through....the method...that you used to dial it in. Maybe in Techniques?
    Jeff,

As requested, here are some test shots taken with the EF 50mm f/1.4 - except as noted, all were taken at ISO 100, f/1.4 using the center focus point on Canon 50D. Also, to see the "Orignial" sized images, just click on the photo.

1. Shot about 15 feet from the fence (this being a good distance for 3/4 or full-length portraits with this lens), intent was to show that focus was acquired and provide some indication of the bokeh.
    446379011_85xVc-L.jpg

2. 100% center crop from the above photo (800x800 px)
    446378637_KRVAH-L.jpg

3. 100% corner crop from the first photo (800x800 px)
    446378638_224nJ-L.jpg

4. How about CA (at f/1.4, 800x800 crops, left image is from center, right from upper left corner)
    446378645_gbS25-L.jpg

5. CA is much better as you stop down and just about gone by f/4 (f/4, 800x800 crops, left image is from center, right from upper left corner)
    446378662_dPgHc-L.jpg

6. How does it do with AI-Servo? This is one of about 6 shots I took. Most were dead on (like this one), a few were front/back focused by a couple of inches. Oh, BTW - make no mistake, this is dog belongs to the DW!
    446378999_MZ3Kp-L.jpg

7. What I was, nominally, focusing on...
    446378666_GY8iJ-L.jpg

8. OK, so how bad was it..... Here I was some 10' to 15' from the group, (ISO 100, f/1.4, 1.250, center focus point on daughter's hand and then re-compose). Notice that the lens front-focused about a foot or more in front of mom's foot. Pretty bad! This was taken with AF Microadjustment set at about -7. The correct setting (as shown/shot above) is +4.
    446386360_EorLf-L.jpg

Again, understand that these were all shot at f/1.4. Things improve greatly stopping down only 2/3 of a stop - it's amazing the difference that little bit of aperture makes. I don't have any examples at hand - they got tossed yesterday - sorry - just take my word for it.deal.gif

Also, per you suggestion, I will be posting a "How did he dial it in so well" thread later today. I have to re-look at all my lenses to verify that they are right as they were "dialed in" using a different method and my confidence level in that job is near zero right now.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Jeff,

As requested, here are some test shots taken with the EF 50mm f/1.4 - except as noted, all were taken at ISO 100, f/1.4 using the center focus point on Canon 50D. Also, to see the "Orignial" sized images, just click on the photo.

Very Nice!!!

Thanks Scott, and now I am REAL interested!!!!:D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 1, 2009
    You may find this post from the Luminous Landscape quite interesting regarding the 50D.

I own both a 40D and a 50D and do not find the 50D inferior in any wayne_nau.gif despite what you read on some of the boards. This link may help explain why some folks prefer the 40D, maybe?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    You may find this post from the Luminous Landscape quite interesting regarding the 50D.

I own both a 40D and a 50D and do not find the 50D inferior in any wayne_nau.gif despite what you read on some of the boards. This link may help explain why some folks prefer the 40D, maybe?

Hey thanks for the link.....it was an interesting read...and an interesting perspective.

As for me, I must admit that I am not much of a pixel peeper. I do, however wish that the XTi would have produced less noise at ISO 400 than it exhibited. I primarily shoot portraits and events. The noise I see in the XTi at ISO400...especially in the shadows of the skin....were a limitation for me. I am a "shoot at the lowest ISO that is practical" believer anyway, but even in the shade of a sunny afternoon ISO100 or even 200 can often result in those slower shutter speeds that can kill image quality in other ways....ie camera shake or subject movement. I am hoping that the 50D will grant me that extra stop at acceptable noise levels.

Of course...even with the XTi...at ISO 400 and even 800, the apparent noise in a print of the 5x7 or 8x10 variety was never really an issue.....but on screen...in the editor....when I SEE IT....well....like I said Id rather the extra stop.

The highlight priority feature looks interesting as well. Exposing the highlights at the next lower ISO while the remainder of the image is recorded at the chosen ISO....(if I have gotten it right). This could also open up possibilities for pushing skin tones brightness a bit more than in the past. This could be especially helpful when the subject is wearing lighter colored clothing.

And....as for the CA on Scott's 50 F1.4...well...The 85 F1.8
    wide open....and in areas of high contrast.....is just as suceptable. Fortunately...as he said...stopping down a touch is a quick cure.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    some nice real photography talk here now, not that geeky number obsession eek7.gifhuheek7.gifD:D:Drolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

handsome lot, you and your family, Scott
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    some nice real photography talk here now, not that geeky number obsession eek7.gifhuheek7.gifD:D:Drolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

handsome lot, you and your family, Scott
    What I didn't make clear is that this shot was of a paying client and his family - not mine!
    446386360_EorLf-S.jpg

This is my family (about a year ago now):
    My son
    227804088_ZBRfW-M-1.jpg

My DW (probably my favorite photo of her)
    86178253_AnTPD-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    What I didn't make clear is that this shot was of a paying client

hehe... how easy is it to kick off a comedy of errors?! clap.gif

but the same comment applies, no less so for the smaller number involved :D

hey, is that an aussie hat atop DW eek7.gif

• Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

Yes, very interesting link, pathfinder. Right at the coalface. Thanks!

• Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    hehe... how easy is it to kick off a comedy of errors?! clap.gif

but the same comment applies, no less so for the smaller number involved :D

hey, is that an aussie hat atop DW eek7.gif
    Yep - genuine kangaroo hide and all. I bought it in Anchorage AK and had it for about 6 months. Then I left in a hotel room and haven't seen one since. I really miss that hat!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Yep - genuine kangaroo hide and all. I bought it in Anchorage AK and had it for about 6 months. Then I left in a hotel room and haven't seen one since. I really miss that hat!

guess that kangaroo is still hoppin' somewhere :D

• Options
    edited January 2, 2009

It might be possible that a person from Australia might ship you a replacement.....that is....provided you could find that person...and he be willing to do so. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Spent a considerable amount of time, figuring out a better way to getting the lens dialed in - did a modified version of the Canon recommendation.

I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow - verifying the AF Microadjustment settings for all my lenses.rolleyes1.gif11doh.gif

Where can I find information on "dialing in" lenses?

I just got the 50 f/1.8 and am working on learning how to focus it properly.

Thanks.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    447381324_M42Rk-S.jpg

447381389_zXwQb-S.jpg

Tick Tock Tick Tock.........:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    447381324_M42Rk-S.jpg

447381389_zXwQb-S.jpg

Congrats. Time to change your "my gear" list rolleyes1.gif
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:

Thanks.

The 50mm F1.8 CAN be finicky. I got my best results at F4.0 and up(smaller) in aperture. Good when it behaved...but Baaaad when it didn't.

The micro-adjustment is a new feature on the 50D and 5D mkII camera bodies. If it is out of cal it will probably need to go to Canon for adjustment.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:

Thanks.
    Jeff beat me to the answer - I was out booking a wedding so I guess I can be excusedrolleyes1.giflol
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    447381324_M42Rk-S.jpg

447381389_zXwQb-S.jpg

OK Jeff - it's been more than 4 hour since your post. Where's some of the first shots from it? You've been going on and on and on and on about this camera for 3 days nowiloveyou.gif. I think it's about time to see some shots!thumb.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    OK Jeff - it's been more than 4 hour since your post. Where's some of the first shots from it? You've been going on and on and on and on about this camera for 3 days nowiloveyou.gif. I think it's about time to see some shots!thumb.gifrolleyes1.gif

Heeeheeeee....!! :D:D:D:D:D ::taps foot and looks at watch::
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009

Well....I got the battery charged....and set up the menu. I played with it a bit...but only a bit....I am trying to complete my edits from an e-session I did this week. Hopefully, I can get up early tommorrow and finish the edits up and then go feel it out some.

Its super quick and responsive though....I can say that much already!
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Jeff,

Congratulations on your new body clap.gif

I just wish it was that easy in real life. I need a new body. The one I'm living in is getting pretty slow, and the imagers are getting blurry rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The 50mm F1.8 CAN be finicky. I got my best results at F4.0 and up(smaller) in aperture. Good when it behaved...but Baaaad when it didn't.

The micro-adjustment is a new feature on the 50D and 5D mkII camera bodies. If it is out of cal it will probably need to go to Canon for adjustment.

Thanks Jeff and Scott.

I'll work away and learning the quirks of my new lens.eek7.gif
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    It might be possible that a person from Australia might ship you a replacement.....that is....provided you could find that person...and he be willing to do so. ne_nau.gif

That could be arranged, yes.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Also, it would be extremely helpful to me....and probably to other dgrinners if you post a thread on your process that you went through....the method...that you used to dial it in. Maybe in Techniques?
    For those that are interested, you can find my "tutorial" on how I dial in a lens in this thread.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    For those that are interested, you can find my "tutorial" on how I dial in a lens in this thread.

Thanks, Scott! And if you do want to replace that hat I can possibly assist, now or later, as you like. Let me know

• Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Thanks, Scott! And if you do want to replace that hat I can possibly assist, now or later, as you like. Let me know
    Thanks for the offer - I will be following up on that in the next day or so. I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Congrats. Time to change your "my gear" list rolleyes1.gif
    Actually, time to put 'gear' in the profile where it belongs, not in the signature deal.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Hey Jeff,

Belated congratulations on the 50D!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Actually, time to put 'gear' in the profile where it belongs, not in the signature deal.gif

Curious as to how to make it show up? I went into my profile and looked - I have listed my gear but it doesn't show in my profile.ne_nau.gif
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Curious as to how to make it show up? I went into my profile and looked - I have listed my gear but it doesn't show in my profile.ne_nau.gif
    It does show up ... but where it belongs - in your profile. I think (and this is just a guess on my part) the idea is that you list your stuff in your profile so people can easily find it when they are trying to help you solve problems. It doesn't show up in your siggy and clutter your posts - more elegant that way!