Options

"Posing The Light" Workshop

Comments

• Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    85 a night is not bad. I might even fly in early to soak up Cali a bit. I've always wanted to go there. I actually asked my company if they have openings in California, I wanted to move there this year. LoL. But I'm not sure if they have Verizon FiOS there yet. rolleyes1.gif

Quick question...

I don't have pocket wizzards or a light meter, do I need them for the class? (We'll, this is in June, from here to there I'll have a ton of new stuff.)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    85 a night is not bad. I might even fly in early to soak up Cali a bit. I've always wanted to go there. I actually asked my company if they have openings in California, I wanted to move there this year. LoL. But I'm not sure if they have Verizon FiOS there yet. rolleyes1.gif

Quick question...

I don't have pocket wizzards or a light meter, do I need them for the class? (We'll, this is in June, from here to there I'll have a ton of new stuff.)

For this hotel it's a smoking hot deal, trust me. And if there is another gender compatible student and you guys can share the room it would be only half of that...:-)

Hotel will be ready for the reservations soon after March 1st, I'll email all the additional info.

PW or light meter.. If you have it - bring it. If you don't - you'll use mine. The only peace of equipment you'd be really needing is a camera and a lens.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2009
    Countdown:
    • Slots still avaliable: 10 and counting
    • Days till the $25 discount wears off: 8 and counting (last day Feb 15th)
    • Days till the signups are over: 21 and counting (last day March 1st)
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Good luck with this, Nik. Great idea! I'd be in like Flynn 'cept I'm a million miles away on that day. :D

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    if the Portrait Project can get a square in the main dgrin slideshow above, can this gig get one? I'm wondering how many folks don't even know its happening .... mwink.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Countdown:
    • Days till the $25 discount wears off: 6 and counting (last day Feb 15th)
    • Days till the signups are over: 19 and counting (last day March 1st)

Neil: you will be with us in spirit iloveyou.gif
    Leah: PP is non-profit mwink.gif , PtL is just cheap mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Leah: PP is non-profit mwink.gif , PtL is just cheap mwink.gif

ptttph. technicalities. deal.gif doesn't beat letting folks just KNOW about kick ass opportunities mwink.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    ptttph. technicalities. deal.gif doesn't beat letting folks just KNOW about kick ass opportunities mwink.gif
    well, in technical terms it's called "advertising" and that is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexpren$ive....deal.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    well, in technical terms it's called "advertising" and that is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexpren$ive....deal.gifmwink.gif

I'm just annoyed at seeing the PP advertised when there's not enough Utah folks to have any fun *here* :cry
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Couldn't it at least be made a sticky at the top of this forum?

• Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Couldn't it at least be made a sticky at the top of this forum?
    No worries, I'll bump it until the deadline is over. The good thing is it's already a go. Hotel is working with me on holding the meeting rooms till March 1st for free. If we have small number of people, we'll just use my studio, if we have more - we'll get the hotel, but we'll have it either way:-) deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    I'm just annoyed at seeing the PP advertised when there's not enough Utah folks to have any fun *here* :cry
    Well, at least we'll get to work with pro models, not with me as one :-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    thats too bad, ive seen some images of the great Nik in fabric...:ivar

( i was going to nominate it for photo of the year, but it was no longer in ISO's thread):bluduh
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    thats too bad, ive seen some images of the great Nik in fabric...:ivar

( i was going to nominate it for photo of the year, but it was no longer in ISO's thread):bluduh

Well, I charge too much as a model, I will not be able to afford myself :-):D
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    ahem
    Nik,

Little do they know about your upcoming stint as a model for The Portrait Projectmwink.gif
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Nik,

Little do they know about your upcoming stint as a model for The Portrait Projectmwink.gif

Shhh, don't give away all my secrets... mwink.gif
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    well i'm a beginner but I have set up a small studio in my garage and I was wondering if this class would be to advanced for me? i have a good camera 5d m2 and L lens's and would really like to learn more about studio photography and I live in long beach ca.
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    well i'm a beginner but I have set up a small studio in my garage and I was wondering if this class would be to advanced for me? i have a good camera 5d m2 and L lens's and would really like to learn more about studio photography and I live in long beach ca.

I don't wanna preempt anything Nik might want to say to you, but I reckon do this little intensive workshop and you'll never be the same again!thumb.gifDclap.gif

• Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:

Brian, I already replied to your email, but I'd like to rehash it here.

Yes, I do believe you're exactly the "target audience" for this little seminar.

As Shay (Stephens) told me a long time ago, "studio lighting is expensive and complicated". Which, to me, primarily translates into "your mistakes will be very costly". The main goal of the workshop is to give you guys enough knowledge to understand how things works together so you will be able to make conscious decision and thus get exactly what you want and make it work to get the results you want. We will be learning all the differences between the type of lights, size and shape of the diffusers, the pros and cons of various modifiers... Gathering all that information on your own is possible, but it would probably take you as much time as it took me - years, and would cost you a lot of $$ in rental fees alone...
    I'm not even talking about the fact that in the beginning it's pretty hard to find a willing model, and even if you do, to figure out what exactly you want to to with your subject. Which means, your first shoots would probably yield subpar results (I know mine did:-), leaving both you and your model rather unsatisfied :-(

All those (and many other) issues can be easily avoided by attending this workshop! deal.gif
    I won't be surprised if every attendee would schedule a studio shoot the very next weekend after the workshop (we will cover "how", too:-), feel very confident about it and post great results right here!

And with LB being just only an hour or so way from TO you may not even need a hotel, although if you want to hang out at Sat night/Sun morning I do recommend considering at least one night, especially if you are able to find a roommate, which would bring the cost of the room to about $45 only.

HTH
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    I don't wanna preempt anything Nik might want to say to you, but I reckon do this little intensive workshop and you'll never be the same again!thumb.gifDclap.gif
    Neil, you're damn right:-! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2009
    I wish you would come to the Toronto area. I'd love to take one of your workshops! :D
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    I wish you would come to the Toronto area. I'd love to take one of your workshops! :D
    Well, if you team up with Ann and other fellow Canadians, I don't mind taking a trip. Always wanted to visit :-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, if you team up with Ann and other fellow Canadians, I don't mind taking a trip. Always wanted to visit :-) mwink.gif

It's cold up here. We wouldn't want your models to get cold! Unless we used some good ol' Canadian girls. :D

Seriously though, what would it take to get you up here? My igloo has a spare room!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    It's cold up here. We wouldn't want your models to get cold! Unless we used some good ol' Canadian girls. :D

Seriously though, what would it take to get you up here? My igloo has a spare room!

You wouldn't believe how many models connections I have in Canada :-)

Speaking in all seriouseness, it has to be a location where we can rent some lights and some studio like space. Maybe a studio with lights, maybe a rentatl place + hotel meeting room. Probably a larger city, next to a major airport. And we'd need a full class, preferably 15 people, definitely no less than 10, to keep the operating expenses manageable.
    Other than that - it's totally doable. It's only one weekend, I don't even have to dig into my abysmal PTO pool...
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    You wouldn't believe how many models connections I have in Canada :-)

Speaking in all seriouseness, it has to be a location where we can rent some lights and some studio like space. Maybe a studio with lights, maybe a rentatl place + hotel meeting room. Probably a larger city, next to a major airport. And we'd need a full class, preferably 15 people, definitely no less than 10, to keep the operating expenses manageable.
    Other than that - it's totally doable. It's only one weekend, I don't even have to dig into my abysmal PTO pool...

I think we could find a place somewhere in Toronto if we put our minds to it. Maybe I'll post a thread on this.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    I think we could find a place somewhere in Toronto if we put our minds to it. Maybe I'll post a thread on this.
    Sure, I'm all up for it. Do you guys have summer time around there? mwink.gif:D I'll be up for July/August...
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sure, I'm all up for it. Do you guys have summer time around there? mwink.gif:D I'll be up for July/August...

Yes we have summer up here. I've posted a new thread up regarding this topic.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=120474

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Countdown:
    • Days till "$25" discount wears off: 5 and counting (last day Feb 15th)
    • Days till the signups are over: 18 and counting (last day March 1st)
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2009
    Yes we have summer up here. I've posted a new thread up regarding this topic.
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=120474
    Cool! Thanks!
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2009
    Ok I'm in I'll get signed can't wait
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6