Options

Journal and Slideshow extreme makeovers

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thanks. So the design assumption is that the colour of the caption container background is also the colour of a 1px border around the image. In other words, the container has no discernible border.

If I don't want the image border, or if I also want a discernible border around the image container (other than the colour of the container background), what is the customisation code to reduce the width of the container by 2px so the borders will line up? That has me stumped! ne_nau.gif
    give me a link to work with on your site and I'll hook you up.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    give me a link to work with on your site and I'll hook you up.
    It's at http://rosscollins.smugmug.com/gallery/3053020

However, you won't see it there as I fudged it by putting a border around both the image and the caption with some added padding so the width difference isn't perceptable. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    It's at http://rosscollins.smugmug.com/gallery/3053020

However, you won't see it there as I fudged it by putting a border around both the image and the caption with some added padding so the width difference isn't perceptable. mwink.gif
    Fine, I wanted to do something for you but I can't do it there, need a gallery where you already haven't messed with it....
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    I'll make one! Stand by caller ....
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    Stand by caller ....
    Andy - it's here. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    Andy - it's here. thumb.gif
    add this, color to taste

.gallery_8874739 .imgBorder {border: 1px solid red; padding: 1px;}
    .gallery_8874739 .imgBorder {border: 1px solid red; padding: 1px;}
    .journal_caption_container {border: 1px solid red !important;}
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    add this, color to taste
    Thanks Andy! thumb.gif
  • Options
    CS ARTSCS ARTS Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2009
    I need to fix this mess!
    I opened my website and couldn't believe my eyes. Months of hard work setting up my slideshows and BAM.... one click and SMUGMUG has managed to makea mess out of my galleries with it's latest change. I create story captions for my photos and each text area was laid out with great care. Now my text is an ugly mess plastered all over my photos. I know the captions can be hidden but that defeats the whole point of my website. In the past there were two ways slideshow appeared: one way when it was a fixed style for a gallery (which is gone) and the way it looks now (when a viewer chose to view a slideshow in a gallery that wasn't necessarily limited to slideshow) so it seems like all that has happened is that one option has been eliminated. I don't have time to scour all of the posts to figure out if there is a work-around to change the set-up back to the previous style so could you be kind enough to provide this information? I use slideshow as the assigned format to 99% of my galleries so this is an urgent issue. Timing couldn't be worse on this change! I just gave my link to a potential employer & now with this awkward change, everything has become an unprofessional mess.
    587292678_AiztE-Th.jpg
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I love the new style except:
    (1) what's the code to move the captions to the right of the photos - like the old style? Having them side by side allows the viewer to view and read at the same time, so to speak. The caption at the bottom forces one to scroll up and down to read/view/read/view. Journal style seemed geared to the reader and I hope there's code that can re-set that part.

(2) What's the code to make the caption text larger? I have it larger on the old journal style, the new style defaulted to a tiny text.
    Example: http://www.joinrats.com/gallery/7964152_FQvyv

Thanks for doing such a great job.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    collin85 wrote:
    Excellent work on the Journal overhaul.. I was so impressed I've already switched to it for many of my galleries. Having been with Smugmug for nearly 3 years, this has probably been the upgrade which has impressed me the most.

Two questions though..

1) How do I change the length of the journal page? I'd like to be able to squeeze all my shots in one continuous page, rather than forcing people to navigate multiple pages if possible. Basically, like FlickRiver (a look I had been trying to emulate for awhile on Smugmug but gave up).

Indeed, if you're going to copy Boston.com's Big Picture, you should do it right. Since images can be different sizes, it seems rather arbitrary to decide how many photos users have to scroll through before they go to the next page.

Thanks for the FlickRiver link, collin -- that's some cool stuff. It's a pity that Flickr has no option to show that on your actual Flickr page. At least SmugMug offers us waaaaaay better display options than Flickr. I love Flickr's collaborative tagging, notes, etc. but hate hate hate actually looking at photos there.

(On the flip side, I *hate* how SmugMug offers no collaborative tagging, and since it's a closed system with no free accounts, there's no easy way to offer CAPTCHA-free comments, even on albums with passwords, which clearly should not require CAPTCHAs. But in the end, I care more about how my photos look than whether people can tag/easily comment on them. Also, easy site/album password functionality is a big deal that I don't think Flickr offers.)

But I digress...

YES, let all the images be on one continuous page, kind of like how if you don't choose Category view for your home page, all of your albums show up in one crazy long continuous page. (Seriously JT, in 6 years you've never thought that page takes too long to load and maybe you should implement some kind of paging? Really? Wow. :-O)

And yes YES, for Slideshow view please make the thumbnail bar (and captions) a JS option, as Allen suggests.
  • Options
    azulyazuly Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2009
    wellman wrote:
    Way cool! Any chance you'd consider implementing keyboard shortcuts? Boston.com's Big Picture uses "J" and "K" for image-hopping, which can be superior to scrolling and stopping.

I second this!!!! (whatever key you choose, but definately this would be easier than precision scrolling).
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    CS ARTS wrote:
    I opened my website and couldn't believe my eyes.

Hi, I'd love to help - but I need to know your website, thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    ChancyRat wrote:
    I love the new style except:
    (1) what's the code to move the captions to the right of the photos - like the old style? Having them side by side allows the viewer to view and read at the same time, so to speak. The caption at the bottom forces one to scroll up and down to read/view/read/view. Journal style seemed geared to the reader and I hope there's code that can re-set that part.
    I'm sorry that's not possible with the new journal style.
    (2) What's the code to make the caption text larger? I have it larger on the old journal style, the new style defaulted to a tiny text.
    Example: http://www.joinrats.com/gallery/7964152_FQvyv

Thanks for doing such a great job.
    easy enough, post inthe customizing forum and we'll help.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    collin85 wrote:
    1) How do I change the length of the journal page?
    We'd love to offer this but right now, 10 is the max, imagine: 10 shots, 1600px wide each, roughly 400-500kb each, that's a alot of images and fileweight coming into the browser :D But thanks for the suggestion, we appreciate it!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    it seems rather arbitrary to decide how many photos users have to scroll through before they go to the next page.
    Haha Darryl, you make it like we've not thought about this at all rolleyes1.gif

See my comment above please. We'd love to give more flexibility - but it comes at a huge cost (sorcery, testing, themes, more...) and so I'm happy with 10 right now. Thanks for posting your thoughts, we really love to hear them, we do.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    CS ARTS wrote:
    I opened my website and couldn't believe my eyes.
    Check that, I found you
    http://creativestreakphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/7653628_WV7cM
    CS ARTS wrote:
    I use slideshow as the assigned format to 99% of my galleries

but I need to see a gallery that shows me what you are talking about, the ones I found (and I checked a bunch!) were forced to other styles, not slideshow.
  • Options
    JannemanJanneman Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Clarification
    Andy wrote:
    We did this on purpose, we want the photos biiiiig. We have other styles (like SmugMug Style and Lightbox) that will show photos without any need for scrolling.
    Andy,

What I mean is that the scaling of the images is such (both in slideshow and in Journal) that the image is larger than my screen. So I have to scroll vertically to see one whole image. I cannot imagine that is what is intended, or am I wrong?
    Greetings, Jan
    http://kooreman.smugmug.com
    :D
    Save 5$ on your subscription fee when you subscribe to Smugmug;
    Use this referral code ( n6vdfbmkCEeXU ) in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Oh yeah - by the way - love the new Journal style - it's awesome.

I've noticed that it even makes viewing the photos on an iPhone or iPod Touch much better - even without using the iphone phone optimized website version - great job Smugmug!!
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Janneman wrote:
    Andy,

What I mean is that the scaling of the images is such (both in slideshow and in Journal) that the image is larger than my screen. So I have to scroll vertically to see one whole image. I cannot imagine that is what is intended, or am I wrong?
    We did this on purpose - if you want NO scrolling, you'd use SmugMug style and lightbox, or Full Screen Slideshow, or Slideshow style.

What size monitor (resolution) do you have?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Resolution
    Andy wrote:
    We did this on purpose - if you want NO scrolling, you'd use SmugMug style and lightbox, or Full Screen Slideshow, or Slideshow style.

What size monitor (resolution) do you have?

I have a NEC2690 which is 1920 x 1200.
    Greetings, Jan
    Use this referral code ( n6vdfbmkCEeXU ) in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Janneman wrote:
    and do you have lots of toolbars and such? I'd like to see a screenshot of your browser window at this link? http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/8850242_ctZtk
  • Options
    ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I love the new journal look but what size should the pictures be? cause they don't seem larger to me.
    http://light-scape.smugmug.com/gallery/2016945_dChKC
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    sser wrote:
    I love the new journal look but what size should the pictures be? cause they don't seem larger to me.
    http://light-scape.smugmug.com/gallery/2016945_dChKC
    The images in that gallery are set for a max display size of Medium. You aren't allowing anything larger than that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    CS ARTSCS ARTS Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2009
    Problems with new slideshow & captions
    Andy wrote:
    Check that, I found you
    http://creativestreakphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/7653628_WV7cM

but I need to see a gallery that shows me what you are talking about, the ones I found (and I checked a bunch!) were forced to other styles, not slideshow.

Thanks for getting back to me Andy. I spent several hours last night pulling my galleries off of the slideshow format and redoing a portion of my HTML markup so that's why you don't see any slideshows. I'm still in the process of converting my captions but at least I have some photos up. In the past, the slideshow pages in galleries with the forced slideshow format appeared much like the page that appears after you click on an in-gallery thumbnail in my current set-up. To get an idea what the change has done to my galleries, just click on slideshow when you are viewing any of my photos and that's how all of my slideshows appear even when they are forced in my customized gallery settings. In the past, I could force slideshow in my galleries and they would appear in a format nearly identical to the pages that you get when you click on a thumbnail in my current set-up. In the past, all of my HTML markup appeared correctly in the galleries that were forced to slideshow (and as you can see when you view slideshow, now html does not appear correctly.)
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    CS ARTS wrote:
    Thanks for getting back to me Andy.

I'm sorry the captions won't work with HTML in the new slideshow style, we'll see what might be able to be done.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Screenshot of Journal
    Janneman wrote:
    Andy,

here's a screenshot of the Journal view. The slideshow shows similar cropping.
    Greetings, Jan
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Janneman wrote:
    Andy,

here's a screenshot of the Journal view. The slideshow shows similar cropping.
    Yeah that pic is 5:4 ratio, roughly ... try the next one, the motorcycle - I set my system to 1900 x1200 and that pic fits perfectly... it's 3:2 ratio. I'll ask if there are enhancements that can make all of 'em fit exactly,, not sure if that's possible.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry the captions won't work with HTML in the new slideshow style, we'll see what might be able to be done.
    OK so I can't make my captions match my theme... that's not good... can I hide the thumbs?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    OK so I can't make my captions match my theme... that's not good... can I hide the thumbs?
    What do you want to do with captions? The thumbs auto hide. Sorry, there's no owner function to hide the thumbs.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    What do you want to do with captions? The thumbs auto hide. Sorry, there's no owner function to hide the thumbs.
    Hoping to change font size, maybe color... Sorry I mis-typed on the thumbs question... can they be moved to bottom?