Options

Sept 8th Site Issues (can't upload & speed)

12346»

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I'll add to my earlier post - straight uploads (LR to Smug via JFriedl's plugin) worked great. However, tried to upload 'replacement' photos and have gotten inconsistent timeouts. Definitely times out when trying to replace 4 photos. Occurred 1 out of 4 times when trying to replace them individually.
    E
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Looks like I jinxed myself. Getting intermittent timeouts using the plugin with a 'straight' upload (granted, three upload streams running concurrently). The plugin seems to be chugging along with the occasional timeout but resumes without problems (crossing fingers that I don't jinx it again).
    E
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Looks like I jinxed myself. Getting intermittent timeouts using the plugin with a 'straight' upload (granted, three upload streams running concurrently). The plugin seems to be chugging along with the occasional timeout but resumes without problems (crossing fingers that I don't jinx it again).
    E

Question - 3 uploads at the same time - does it really work out any faster than doing one after the other?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    jasonstone wrote:
    Question - 3 uploads at the same time - does it really work out any faster than doing one after the other?

Not sure - at least it isn't any slowermwink.gif
    I read a while back that Lightroom can be goaded to use more resources (it artificially limits itself) by running multiple concurrent processes. With multiple upload streams, I can also 'set it and forget it' (old Ronway rotisserie oven reference thererolleyes1.gif).
    E
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    jasonstone wrote:
    For me, the old tried and true upload tool used to upload three images at the same time, like it was multi-threaded or something. Here recently, like the last month or so, that is no longer happening for me. I don't know if it's because my ISP is throttling my service or if SmugMug no longer supports that functionality.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Try our Simple Uploader and you should get error-free uploading (I hope). It's a far-faster uploader, and is much more robust.

It is back up and running for me this morning, THANKS! 200 + images and no errors.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    psenior1psenior1 Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    No way.... completely different people on these jobs :D

just hold back on any changes that require downtime during the weekly maintenance window. give us a few weeks of 100% availability please.
    website - http://www.snrmac.com
    facebook - my facebook page please LIKE me!
  • Options
    redshadow01redshadow01 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    "Error reponse from SmugMug"
    Tried to upload part of a wedding shoot...as posted previously in the API section, there were LONG pauses between actual uploads. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76934&page=21

However, here's the error I just got from the LR2 plugin (latest version 117)

Error response from SmugMug
    wrong Format ()

Aborting export after 192 of 239 images successfully uploaded

Looks like the issue that was happening all of yesterday is still going on.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Tried to upload part of a wedding shoot...as posted previously in the API section, there were LONG pauses between actual uploads. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76934&page=21

However, here's the error I just got from the LR2 plugin (latest version 117)

Error response from SmugMug
    wrong Format ()

Aborting export after 192 of 239 images successfully uploaded

Looks like the issue that was happening all of yesterday is still going on.

yup
    same error here - i restarted the upload and it finished successfully however
  • Options
    redshadow01redshadow01 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I tried to check my upload log to see what was the last image uploaded, but the log only showed 4 images uploaded, out of the 192...sorta useless.

So, add one more issue to the current lot: upload log is not working properly.
    eoren1 wrote:
    yup
    same error here - i restarted the upload and it finished successfully however
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I woke up early this am and saw the notice and fired up an upload. Still going strong after some 280 pics all over 5+ meg using Send to SmugMug.

Thanks so much SmugMug! Appreciate all your hard work under pressure. I've been in many similar situations in my experience in IT and can well appreciate what you must have gone through.

I only hope you take a look at hourly updates and a better structured language at reporting significant events that keeps users informed and in most cases, keeps them much calmer at handling the event. It actually makes your job easier and allows you to concentrate on the event rather than the wake of disapproval.

Let me know if you need help in any way with this undertaking as I am currently available! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    jww wrote:
    I woke up early this am and saw the notice and fired up an upload. Still going strong after some 280 pics all over 5+ meg using Send to SmugMug.

Thanks so much SmugMug! Appreciate all your hard work under pressure. I've been in many similar situations in my experience in IT and can well appreciate what you must have gone through.

I only hope you take a look at hourly updates and a better structured language at reporting significant events that keeps users informed and in most cases, keeps them much calmer at handling the event. It actually makes your job easier and allows you to concentrate on the event rather than the wake of disapproval.

Let me know if you need help in any way with this undertaking as I am currently available! thumb.gif

Thanks. And we're all clear from yesterday's event. Thanks all for your patience, support and understanding.
  • Options
    RealitytouristRealitytourist Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Glad to read things are up and running.
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah so that could be unrelated. We're looking at that separately.

Try our Simple Uploader and you should get error-free uploading (I hope). It's a far-faster uploader, and is much more robust.
    I have to say, the idea of uploading a few hundred images using the Simple Uploader is rather - amusing. mwink.gif
    Mike
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Glad to read things are up and running.
    I have to say, the idea of uploading a few hundred images using the Simple Uploader is rather - amusing. mwink.gif
    How come? I use it for thousands all the time.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 9, 2009
    I dunno how much has been said about the reasons for the slowdowns and I'm reluctant to say too much for fear of being proven wrong, but I can say what I think I know.

Those who've been with us for 6 years know there have been a few times in the past when we faced unexpected traffic. One was when a skinny black state senator got an account, we didn't pay him any attention and he ran for a U.S. Senate seat. And when a teenager from Majorca who we never noticed entered the French Open Tennis tournament and won it. Or when we expected sales to slow in 2009 and we played it conservatively and didn't build for the traffic.

This time was different. As we prepared to introduce NiceNames we had an idea traffic from the search engines would spike as they descended on our half a billion public photos, so we tried to phase in our SEO improvements and upgrade the network at the same time.

Well, Hell appears to have no fury like search engines who are suddenly motivation to re-index us. Not to pin the blame on them, they're finding our weaknesses that hadn't been tested with this much traffic and as soon as we upgrade a switch to more capacity, they turn up the juice to find other weaknesses.

We're sorry this has happened. There are things we can do to redirect them, etc., but we (most of you) also want things indexed to the new SEO hotness as quickly as it's possible to do it.

Chris
  • Options
    EverythingEverywhereEverythingEverywhere Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    If increased search engine traffic due to the SEO changes are the cause of the recent problems...then this is a temporary inconvenience I can deal with.
    2014 Travel Photographer of the Year, Society of American Travel Writers
    2013 & 2015 Travel Photographer of the Year, North American Travel Journalists Association

Facebook | Travel Blog | Travel Photography | Instagram | Google+