Thanks Al!

Worked great! bowdown.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    mapleleavermapleleaver Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Homepage Slideshow
    I am wondering if I can have my hompage slideshow stretch like the ones on the other pages?

Christina
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I am wondering if I can have my hompage slideshow stretch like the ones on the other pages?

Christina
    See customization #20 for the stretchy slideshow.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mapleleavermapleleaver Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    See customization #20 for the stretchy slideshow.

Thanks, I looked at that but the example shown of the pics of Kenya did not seem stretchy to me. What am I missing.

Christina
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    Thanks, I looked at that but the example shown of the pics of Kenya did not seem stretchy to me. What am I missing.

Christina
    That Kenya slideshow (on my homepage) will automatically pick the largest size images that fit in your browser window. If you start with a larger browser window, you get larger images. If you start with a smaller browser window, you get smaller images. If you change the browser window size while the slideshow is running, it will change the size of the images to adapt to the size of the window (you might have to wait for 1-3 images to go by before it has adapted). That's what is meant by stretchy.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    robwrightphotographyrobwrightphotography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 12, 2009
    Music and sound
    This may have been addressed in a previous post, so sorry if it was. There are 25 pages to go through. Is there a way to add music to the slide shows of any gallery, or the homepage slideshow? I am not a programmer. Most wedding sites have music to go along with clients slideshows or on the home page for examples, and wedding clients do expect it.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    robwrightphotographyrobwrightphotography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 12, 2009
    music
    I love the slideshow makeover for my customers.
    Is there any way I can add music to the slideshow?
    It would definately increase my sales.
    Did this question get answered? I have the same question. My wedding photography clients do expect music to go along with the slideshows, they have been groomed for it by the industry. Is there any way to add it to the homepage slideshow?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Did this question get answered? I have the same question. My wedding photography clients do expect music to go along with the slideshows, they have been groomed for it by the industry. Is there any way to add it to the homepage slideshow?headscratch.gif
    There is, if you want to get the music from say, triplescoopmusic.com and then it can be added, easily - just make a post in the customizing forum for the 2mins of help it takes when you're ready :)
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    There is, if you want to get the music from say, triplescoopmusic.com and then it can be added, easily - just make a post in the customizing forum for the 2mins of help it takes when you're ready :)
    Thanks Andy, will do
  • Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    shopping cart problem in new journal style
    I don't know if that has been answered, if yes, I apologize.

I just set up a gallery to try and I have a shopping cart on top that does not work and one below the pictures that does work.

http://www.touscrins.com/Equine-Events/Dressage/Julia-Migenes-accompanied-by/6761524_x9qom/6

682860486_GXoDm-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    TCS wrote:
    I don't know if that has been answered, if yes, I apologize.

I just set up a gallery to try and I have a shopping cart on top that does not work and one below the pictures that does work.

http://www.touscrins.com/Equine-Events/Dressage/Julia-Migenes-accompanied-by/6761524_x9qom/6
    What doesn't work for the one above the picture? It seems to be working for me in both Firefox and IE.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    What doesn't work for the one above the picture? It seems to be working for me in both Firefox and IE.

In JOURNAL style, you click buy this picture and nothing happens
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    TCS wrote:
    What browser? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    TCS wrote:
    Andy, I see the problem in both Firefox 3.5 and IE7. The key is you have to be in journal view.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Andy, I see the problem in both Firefox 3.5 and IE7. The key is you have to be in journal view.

Oh thanks!
    I am glad it is not just me!
    You guys are quick!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    At this site, http://www.touscrins.com/Equine-Events/Dressage/Julia-Migenes-accompanied-by/6761524_x9qom/6

"buy this photo" in journal view is not supposed to do anything. Try it here: http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9/1/131481399_ZnZmK

Click "Buy photos in this gallery" deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    At this site, http://www.touscrins.com/Equine-Events/Dressage/Julia-Migenes-accompanied-by/6761524_x9qom/6

"buy this photo" in journal view is not supposed to do anything. Try it here: http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9/1/131481399_ZnZmK

Click "Buy photos in this gallery" deal.gif

why is it different in your gallery?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    I have another question. The pictures spread big if they are landscape but stay quite small if portrait orientation. Is that a bug?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    TCS wrote:
    I have another question. The pictures spread big if they are landscape but stay quite small if portrait orientation. Is that a bug?
    If the portrait orientation images were larger, then they would be taller than the screen height and you could not see them all at once - you would only be able to see part of the image at once and would have to scroll to see the other part of the image. Since most screens are shorter than they are wide, this makes portrait oriented images necessarily smaller than their landscape cousins.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    TCS wrote:
    why is it different in your gallery?
    it's actually different in your gallery :D Due to your customizing, you made the link in the buy menu hover differently, that's why.
  • Options
    tlevequetleveque Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Hi, I don't if it had been answered already in this thread (too long to read!), but the new Slideshow must be fixed. We really need to have a way to disable that thumbnail bar at the top. It is hiding a part of the picture.
    Yes I know, if I don't move the mouse it will disappear. But I need the mouse to browse to next of previous photo. Because of course, like almost everybody, I hate those automatic slideshow and the first thing I do is to click on the pause button.
    Another way to fix it, will be to add the possibility of using the arrows on the keyboard to navigate.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    tleveque wrote:
    Hi, I don't if it had been answered already in this thread (too long to read!), but the new Slideshow must be fixed. We really need to have a way to disable that thumbnail bar at the top. It is hiding a part of the picture.
    Yes I know, if I don't move the mouse it will disappear. But I need the mouse to browse to next of previous photo. Because of course, like almost everybody, I hate those automatic slideshow and the first thing I do is to click on the pause button.
    Another way to fix it, will be to add the possibility of using the arrows on the keyboard to navigate.

Thanks
    Hi, thanks for your post. It'd be great if you added it here: http://smugmug.uservoice.com thanks!
  • Options
    FritzFritz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Stretchy Journal Loses PhotoRank Option
    I have upgraded to the new Journal layout; however, the PhotoRank doesn't seem to work. When viewing in IE8 or Firefox, I simply get the thumbs up for "Help?".

http://www.brucefratto.com/Landscapes/Cityscapes-Panoramic-Views/8701864_bQC8z headscratch.gif
    edited November 29, 2009
    Fritz wrote:
    I have upgraded to the new Journal layout; however, the PhotoRank doesn't seem to work. When viewing in IE8 or Firefox, I simply get the thumbs up for "Help?".

http://www.brucefratto.com/Landscapes/Cityscapes-Panoramic-Views/8701864_bQC8z headscratch.gif
    I get thumbs to choose from in your gallery, in IE8 and Firefox.

20091129-di64cr7y9icn56bn9tf3qdskr.jpg
  • Options
    FritzFritz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I get thumbs to choose from in your gallery, in IE8 and Firefox.

Thanks Andy. I noticed your screen shot cut off the "PhotoRank" at the top for some reason?
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Left and right arrowkey picture by picture scrolling
    We need this for Journal:

http://www.pictorymag.com/showcases/overseas-and-overwhelmed/

iloveyou.gifnod

Malte
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    Malte wrote:

Oh heck yeah. As Photojojo said:

"Take one part Boston.com’s Big Picture, one part This American Life, and one part Laura Brunow Miner. Simmer for 8 months.

The result? Pictory."

(Yeah, I didn't know who Laura Brunow Miner was either -- turns out she designed and later ran JPG Magazine.)

BUT yeah, KEYBOARD NAVIGATION would be awesome. Ok, so Allen doesn't want J or K because they'll interview with his "type to search in page" functionality in Firefox. What about the left/right arrow keys (without modifiers) that Pictory uses? Wow, that is really really nice.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Oh heck yeah.
    BUT yeah, KEYBOARD NAVIGATION would be awesome. Ok, so Allen doesn't want J or K because they'll interview with his "type to search in page" functionality in Firefox. What about the left/right arrow keys (without modifiers) that Pictory uses? Wow, that is really really nice.

For the last couple of years I've been using a hack from Devbobo that uses left/right arrow navigation and makes scrolling through multi-page galleries much more user-friendly (best when used with Journal style, but it works with most other styles as well).

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=354042&postcount=4

The above, plus locking down the center mouse wheel (if your mouse has one), takes the "pain" out of scrolling IMHO.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    papajay wrote:
    For the last couple of years I've been using a hack from Devbobo that uses left/right arrow navigation and makes scrolling through multi-page galleries much more user-friendly (best when used with Journal style, but it works with most other styles as well).

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=354042&postcount=4

The above, plus locking down the center mouse wheel (if your mouse has one), takes the "pain" out of scrolling IMHO.

Ah interesting. I wasn't familiar with that hack. Reading the thread though, Allen brings up a good point (as always) that we don't want to screw site owners who are editing their captions and may need to use the arrow keys to navigate within a text box.

This is the problem with using the same UI for both gallery presentation as well as management. While WYSIWYG is useful in most cases, sometimes presentation does need to have a different UI.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Ah interesting. I wasn't familiar with that hack. Reading the thread though, Allen brings up a good point (as always) that we don't want to screw site owners who are editing their captions and may need to use the arrow keys to navigate within a text box.

Point taken. After a few unintended wrong turns, though, I concluded the benefits of Devbobo's hack out-weighed the drawback Allen discovered (just my personal opinion/preference). As I said originally, I've been using the hack consistently for two years and would hate like heck to loose that functionality.

Bottom line for me...I'd prefer to live with the drawback and hope for a better long term solution to easily navigate using arrow keys (or whatever). Having to "mouse around" to hit that dratted, tiny, little ">" to view the "next page" is not user-friendly in my opinion (and doubly frustrating when its position on the display varies depending on the number of pages in the gallery so I can't just position the mouse once and leave it there.)