Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    and upgraded to the 15"

i wanted the wider bigger screen.

somebody stop me now!

You know you can run dual 30" displays off you G5 tower, all you need is another card. thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    heheheh thanks dave :D

From cute, cuddly, packable to Desktop Replacement (almost), well d.r. for ordinary folks...

Musta got a discount on that new roof?! <g,d&r>

Lynne
    thinking of the happiness of the kidlets in the food chain, as they gratefully accept your castoffs as the newstuff comes out!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    that 17" is really nice...

funny you should mention, the 17 incher, david...

i went to the apple store wiht my farmer's double backpack... the 17incher does NOT fit inside. so it was a no-go. also, i can't use the 17incher on the train to nyc every day. so, 15in, 1.5gb ram 1.67ghz w/ super drive, that's the end of the line for me...

unlesss......

someone finds me a suitable backpack that holds my camera, lenses, and the 17incher lol3.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    someone finds me a suitable backpack that holds my camera, lenses, and the 17incher lol3.gif

wave.gif we have a winner! clap.gif I put a lot of stuff in mine. It starts to get too heavy to carry, better start :lift
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    wave.gif we have a winner! clap.gif I put a lot of stuff in mine. It starts to get too heavy to carry, better start :lift

yabbut.... that tenba is nice, but it's too beefy for my tastes... i like the form factor of the crumpler...

thanks for the link though!
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

No, if it starts to get too heavy, have waxy tote it for ya. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,906 moderator
    edited February 17, 2005
    Hmm...this might do the job :D

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    'nother bump is rumored in the pbook line, tba 9/22 at the paris show. anyone heard any rumors? i've heard small speed bump, ~333mhz or thereabouts. wonder if they'll boost the resolution on the screens for the 15 and 17?

intel chips not expected till 2006 sometime, seems to be the prevailing thoughts.....
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    'nother bump is rumored in the pbook line, tba 9/22 at the paris show. anyone heard any rumors? i've heard small speed bump, ~333mhz or thereabouts. wonder if they'll boost the resolution on the screens for the 15 and 17?

intel chips not expected till 2006 sometime, seems to be the prevailing thoughts.....

I don't have any idea. Slashdot (http://www.shashdot.com) is usually a great place for this kind of thing (and all things geek) but it's silent on the subject.

My own take is that I'm not a customer for a new powerbook for photography until the intel introduction. The Petium-M performace vs PPC G4 is just so much better it's embarrassing. Once the new machines are introduced, Adobe will also introduce a new PS version with all optimization focued on intel architecture. That will be the time go spring for a PB.

I did buy my daughter a PB to take to college this spring, but performance doesn't matter at all for that application. She was just in heaven to be able to burn CDs from iTunes, watch dvd movies, all in such a nice little computer. But that's not the same...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Reading back on this thread is great entertainment.

You get quotes like these:

Both of the following on 1/24/05
    rutt wrote:
    Do not under any circumstances order a g4 pb without clearing it with me. The thing will be a boat anchor within 6 months.
    DavidTO wrote:
    You never know, but the rumor mill has it that the G4 Powerbook is no longer in production--EOL'd (End of Life). That would mean a revision--could be faster G4's, dual core G4's or G5. You'll never know till it happens, but yeah, now is not the best time to buy a Powerbook. If you can wait 6 months, do so.

(Updates came out 1 week later on 1/31/05)

andy wrote:
    thanks though you can talk till yer blue, but i'm not switchin those machines... not until trev has games he wants to play and they're too slow on the box.. should last another year or two anyhow...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    andy wrote:

That speed boost guestimate was reduced to 30MHZ. See here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    Don't know, I think I was right. PB's are pretty much boat anchors now. Well, that's not exactly fair. More loke "HOLD" stocks. Buying a new one for photography now? Only on an expense account.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Don't know, I think I was right. PB's are pretty much boat anchors now. Well, that's not exactly fair. More loke "HOLD" stocks. Buying a new one for photography now? Only on an expense account.

I guess that's where I can't see your logic...few people buy a laptop for photography. They buy it for many uses, one of which is photography. They aren't going to get one for photography and one for everything else, that's self defeating. Do the current Powerbooks lag in speed? Sure, that's why Apple finally gave up on PPC and is moving to Intel. If you have a choice should you wait for Intel? Somewhere between maybe and probably. But then you're gonna want to wait for Rev. B, and that puts it even farther off. No, hardly a boat anchor, just an incredibly useful machine with the best OS there is (with all its faults)that we all wish ran quite a bit faster. But don't ignore the usefulness and the OS itself when saying that we wish the PB ran faster.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Reading back on this thread is great entertainment.

You get quotes like these:

Both of the following on 1/24/05

(Updates came out 1 week later on 1/31/05)

don't you have anything better to do? :pissed
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I guess that's where I can't see your logic...few people buy a laptop for photography. They buy it for many uses, one of which is photography. They aren't going to get one for photography and one for everything else, that's self defeating. Do the current Powerbooks lag in speed? Sure, that's why Apple finally gave up on PPC and is moving to Intel. If you have a choice should you wait for Intel? Somewhere between maybe and probably. But then you're gonna want to wait for Rev. B, and that puts it even farther off. No, hardly a boat anchor, just an incredibly useful machine with the best OS there is (with all its faults)that we all wish ran quite a bit faster. But don't ignore the usefulness and the OS itself when saying that we wish the PB ran faster.

as one who's using g5 at home, and a wintel laptop currently (a very cool small sony t-series) i agree with david. i miss my powerbook. and i'll be getting one in oct i'm pretty sure - i can certainly wait a month to see if the rumors are true - if not true, i'll still buy one - likely the 15"... then a year later i can hopefully upgrade to something even better with the intel chips.

btw: apple's been hiring sony engineers like ca-razy!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:

that's just silly. there's nothing showing anywhere where intel-based pbooks will be out before spring-summer of 06. if you need one, you need one!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    if you need one, you need one!

And who doesn't need one????

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that's just silly. there's nothing showing anywhere where intel-based pbooks will be out before spring-summer of 06. if you need one, you need one!

Of course, Andy, I didn't mean to include you. You are in the photographic equipment conspicuous consumption hall of fame and as such are exempt from my advice.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Of course, Andy, I didn't mean to include you. You are in the photographic equipment conspicuous consumption hall of fame and as such are exempt from my advice.

:nono rutt, not letting you off that easy. suppose someone *doesn't* own a pbook or pc laptop. would you say they are silly for buying a pbook now? they're a photographer, and they'll use it for field edits, and other general use stuff.

ear.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    :nono rutt, not letting you off that easy. suppose someone *doesn't* own a pbook or pc laptop. would you say they are silly for buying a pbook now? they're a photographer, and they'll use it for field edits, and other general use stuff.

ear.gif

Right, that's a better question. It really depends on the person's situation. As I said, a pro on an expense account, well s/he needs what s/he needs whatever that is. If it were me on that expense account, it'd be a hard choice. I hate using Windows. It isn't religious, I just find that I can't move in and get comfortable no matter how hard I try. On the other hand, those G4s are long in the tooth and if you want to do stuff that takes time, well, it takes a lot longer. So it's a hard compromise.

For someone spending his/her own hard earned and limited cash, I'd have to say, buy a cheap windows notebook unless you are absolutely allergic to windows. $1k will buy you a very workable Dell new. Or buy a used Apple if allergic to windows. Really, my 2 year old 1GHz 17inch PB isn't that much worse than the best brand new thing they have. Put the extra $$ in the bank and wait 9 months.

If you have a notebook that works now, live with it. Unless you are in that hall of fame, that is.

You asked, and I told you.
    If not now, when?