Options

The Canon 1dx

pthpth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited May 11, 2013 in Cameras
http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/10/canon-eos-1d-x-possible-press-release/

It appears Canon will have a new pro body for the Olympics. Too bad I have kids to put through college.

Dual DIGIC 5+

Comments

• Options
    agphotographyagphotography Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2011
    I'm super excited about this camera. They really went all out on image quality this time. I would love to get one when I have the money.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Not only does it have two DIGIC 5 processors but it also has a DIGIC 4 just for metering and other smaller tasks! Oh man...I might have to save up for this one unless the 5D mkIII is amazing.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    I'm saving for the 1Dx. Shooting sports is killing me with a 5DII, a 7D would be nice, but there is no voice annotation which is ALSO killing me... So a 1D it is...

I just hope there is a crop mode like the Nikons... would be very nice!
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    The specs according to canonrumors:

+ Full Frame Sensor
    + 18.1MP
    + Dual DIGIC 5+ – 17 Times The Processing Power of DIGIC 4
    + ISO 100-51200 Native (Expandable to ISO 50 AND 102400, 204800)
    + 100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor
    + EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)
    + 61 Point AF
    + > 21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors
    + > 20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors
    + > 5 f/2.8 Dual Cross Type Sensors
    + EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)
    + 12 Frames Per Second
    + 14 Frames Per Second JPG Only
    + 400,000 Shot Rated Shutter
    + Gigabit Ethernet Connection
    + Dual CF Card slot
    + March Availability
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Combine that sensor with 7d style AF and 3-4 fps and the 5d3 sounds like a very compelling upgrade without cannibalising the 1dx too much. A high Mp 5d3 wouldn't have interested me too much TBH, as the current one is fine in that regard, but the low light performance on that new sensor sounds amazing.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    http://gizmodo.com/5850747/canon-1d-x-quite-possibly-the-most-epic-dslr-ever

Stuart-M wrote: »
    Combine that sensor with 7d style AF and 3-4 fps and the 5d3 sounds like a very compelling upgrade without cannibalising the 1dx too much. A high Mp 5d3 wouldn't have interested me too much TBH, as the current one is fine in that regard, but the low light performance on that new sensor sounds amazing.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
  • Options
    Green_HornetGreen_Hornet Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    This camera looks impressive. I'm curious about seeing first test images.

However, for me, this camera is too large & heavy. I'm waiting for a new 5D... :-)
    View my photos at janriggert.smugmug.com
    Feel free to leave a comment...
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Oh M. GEE!!

I am going to buy one! Haven't been this excited about a new camera since the 5D2.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    I hope the ISO beats the D3s. And I hope it has a 1.6x and 1.3x crop mode.

The press release says estimated price is $6,800.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    The Canon 1DX description says about making HD video:

"For legal reasons the maximum total clip length when shooting HD is now 29 minutes and 59 seconds."

Anybody know what these legal reasons are?
    Dan7312 wrote: »
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Mmm, this crow is SO TASTY!!!!!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    This looks to be an amazing camera. There is serious battle brewing. What will the new Nikon really be? I feel camera lust coming on.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    So you we really waiting for a 181 megapixal camera afterall! Oh... wait... is that a decimal point? Looks like it is only 18.1 megapixel :D But they look like really nice pixels though.
    Mmm, this crow is SO TASTY!!!!!

=Matt=
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    can't wait for the consumer reviews
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    EOS 3D not far off??
    If the 1DX is truly the new flagship, i.e., the 1Ds is dead, then that leaves room for a high MP 5DIII studio/landscape camera and a "budget" version of the 1DX, a la the 3D. This would probably have the 5D form factor with 1DX sensor, 7D AF, 10fps, $2500.

THAT would be my dream camera.

Or maybe that will be the 5DIII and a high MP (36? 48?) camera will arrive in some other form.

And with the 1DX at $6800, I'm out. I might have been able to sell some stuff and stretch for a $5000 cam.

There REALLY needs to be a budget 1DX, just like the 5DII was the budget 1Ds.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    If the 1DX is truly the new flagship, i.e., the 1Ds is dead, then that leaves room for a high MP 5DIII studio/landscape camera and a "budget" version of the 1DX, a la the 3D. This would probably have the 5D form factor with 1DX sensor, 7D AF, 10fps, $2500.

Or maybe that will be the 5DIII and a high MP (36? 48?) camera will arrive in some other form.

And with the 1DX at $6800, I'm out. I might have been able to sell some stuff and stretch for a $5000 cam.

Or you could wait a while. mwink.gif

While I do plan on picking this up, I am going to wait a year and a half or so till I do so. Just nice to know what is out, in terms of the 1D series, now.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    I hope the ISO beats the D3s. And I hope it has a 1.6x and 1.3x crop mode.

But why? At full frame they are still getting an amazing FPS, which was really the only reason for the crop modes in the Nikons, to improve the FPS by dumping less data from the sensor.. You can batch crop later if you need to.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011

1.) I don't think the high-res flagship series is dead. Especially when Nikon still produces the 24 megapixel D3X. I think we will see a 30-40 megapixel 1Ds mk4, or a 1DXs, or something. They would have to add dual card slots and some SERIOUS weather sealing, etc. etc. to the 5D mk3 to compensate for the lack of a 1Ds successor. The landscape shooters working for National Geographic wouldn't have it any other way.

2.) This unprecedented level of "listening to photographers" definitely still paves the way for a split in the 5-series, however. The 5D mk3 will be the high-res brother to something like a 6D. I would expect the 5D mk3 to have the same 30-40 megapixel sensor as the 1Ds successor, and the 6D to have the same 18 megapixel sensor as the 1DX. And now that Canon has updated their pro AF system, I hope they can find a way to fit in the "old" 45-point AF system into their $3-4K range FF options.

Yes, FOUR FF camera bodies is a lot of options, and currently has never been done by either Nikon or Canon. But hasn't everyone been ranting about how FF is the future? I think four FF bodies, using "only" two different sensors, is highly likely.

=Matt=
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    I thought that this "historical" move by Canon was motivated to unite the 1Ds and 1D line.
    Personaly I couldn't care less for more Megapixels, 21mp is already more than what I like
    to handle. Thinking about how many of my expensive lenses would be outresolved by a 40mp
    sensor makes me want to cry :)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Thinking about how many of my expensive lenses would be outresolved by a 40mp
    sensor makes me want to cry :)

The 7D already has the pixel density of a 48mp FF sensor. The lenses are still working.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    The 7D already has the pixel density of a 48mp FF sensor. The lenses are still working.
    Exactly. If the 7D can resolve gorgous corners on the $700 Tokina 11-16 2.8, for example, then certainly Canon can come up with a $2,000 ultrawide that resolves 48 MP full-frame. OR, Canon users can just adapt to Nikon lenses like the 14-24.

Okay, in all seriousness- I'd expect to see a Canon 1Ds mk4 or 5D mk3 announcement within a year, at ~30-40 megapixels, at the same time as a 24-70 mk2 announcement.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011

Okay, in all seriousness- I'd expect to see a Canon 1Ds mk4 or 5D mk3 announcement within a year, at ~30-40 megapixels, at the same time as a 24-70 mk2 announcement.

=Matt=

Are you speaking in jest? rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    The Canon 1DX description says about making HD video:

"For legal reasons the maximum total clip length when shooting HD is now 29 minutes and 59 seconds."

Anybody know what these legal reasons are?

Well, in Europe I think, there's some legal issue with video length being under 30 minutes. On former DSLRs it was 12 minutes? Now they've increased it to 30 minutes, but the camera automatically creates a new video file on the CF card at 29:59. Then you can put them together in post.

I was reading about it, but I don't remember the what the legal stuff was about.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    I think what the 1DX does is create a new video file every 4MB, but then stops starting new files once it has recorded the 29:59. Then you piece together the 4MB files to get the whole 29:59. So it really does make you manually start another video once you hit that limit.

But the 1DX can wirelessly sync timecodes across cameras so you can set up two of these beasts and play like a projectionist in the movie theater and start the second camera when you see the 30 second end of recording warning in the view finder...:D

It looks like the 1DX has added a lot of video features like making every frame a key frame to improve quailty. I know that this isn't a Red camera but it looks like Canon is really trying to make people think hard if their video project really justifies the cost of a Red.
    but the camera automatically creates a new video file on the CF card at 29:59. Then you can put them together in post.

I was reading about it, but I don't remember the what the legal stuff was about.
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011
    i foresee that the divorce rate will go up in March 2012. lol
    :thwak
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    rhommel wrote: »
    i foresee that the divorce rate will go up in March 2012. lol
    :thwak

yup!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2011

15524779-Ti.gif I'm with you. A (relatively) affordable FF camera with 7d (or similar) AF, flash commander and 5dII or better ISO and I'd be a very happy girl.

Frankly, the 1 series isn't ever likely to interest me (hardly surprising, since I'm not the market it's addressing!) - I don't like the colossal weight and built-in grip which is too big for my hands, and none of the shooting I do needs Antarctic Explorer weather-sealing :D
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif I'm with you. A (relatively) affordable FF camera with 7d (or similar) AF, flash commander and 5dII or better ISO and I'd be a very happy girl.

Frankly, the 1 series isn't ever likely to interest me (hardly surprising, since I'm not the market it's addressing!) - I don't like the colossal weight and built-in grip which is too big for my hands, and none of the shooting I do needs Antarctic explorer-proof weather-sealing :D

Think of it this way, in regards to weight- it will train your hands and forearms to perform death grips!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com