Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Thank you, Ryan for pointing out how poorly I was using tabs. I wasn't even consistent in when I was opening new tabs. I changed it so that I only open a new tab when I move to my photo blog which is hosted by blogspot (and previous to your comment that was one of the times I wasn't opening in a new blog!)

Thanks also for your comments on my street photos. Until I did this remake of my site I had considered my street photography in India a failure because the yield was so low. I'm still coming to grips with how perhaps that is the nature of street photography.

If you take 1000 terrible street shots, but share 1 that is just stunning, then I would call that a successful success.

And I know you took more than just 1 stunning photo. clap.gif
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    dgc4rterdgc4rter Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2013
    Although it's more of a personal site for viewing by family and friends, here's my attempt. http://davecarter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    My site is done. Nothing fancy, but I still thought it might be worthwhile to share. I started with the "Isis" theme.

http://clearwaterphotography.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    DigiScapes wrote: »
    The homepage images seem to load fine on Firefox for Windows and Mac, I don't use Chrome so I can't replicate that and the company I work for has not rolled out the latest version of IE, so I can't load most of the new SmugMug sites on it.

That's odd. Looking at the site on Chrome on my work laptop, it seems to load just fine. Hmm....
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    My site is done. Nothing fancy, but I still thought it might be worthwhile to share. I started with the "Isis" theme.

Nicely done Mitch.

You might want to consider revising the links in your menu bar. It would be great to read an "About Me" page to get some background on you, the photographer.

Just a thought. :)
  • Options
    shmorishmori Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    New Website
    Here is my website, still working on it to fine tune. Thank you.

Ashishdoshi.com
  • Options
    aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Oakley wrote: »
    Hi Aaron - First thing I notice is just how long it takes for each image on your homepage slideshow to load. Might just be me --- I'm using a iMac with Chrome. ??

I LOVE your about page. Without even reading the text, you've got so many wonderful design/layout elements that it feels like a page I just want to keep open in my browser forever.

OK, that was a bit much, wasn't it. :)

But really, it's very well done.

The "Published" page of your portfolio is a great idea --- but again, journal style is taking its sweet time loading all of the images. And I also find it's just too much scrolling. Have you tried one of the collage viewing styles? Or maybe you really need to highlight the text - which is what journal does best.

Overall, I love how clean your site is.

It's very easy to navigate, shows off your style and images wonderfully.

Very well done sir.

Ryan

Thanks for taking the time to detail things out for me, Ryan. I'm still tweaking things, but I have tried resaving images so they load faster. I'm still not exactly sure how to display my published section, but I appreciate the ideas. Cheers, bud!
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »

I like your site and it's contents.

Did you not fancy a search cloud in your "search" section?

shmori wrote: »
    Here is my website, still working on it to fine tune. Thank you.

Ashishdoshi.com

Very simplistic, I like it a lot. Nice work Ashish.

aaronbrown wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to detail things out for me, Ryan. I'm still tweaking things, but I have tried resaving images so they load faster. I'm still not exactly sure how to display my published section, but I appreciate the ideas. Cheers, bud!

I actually like how you have it presented right now, Aaron. Giving each image a large amount of space so they are the star of the show, so to say.

What would you change about it? Perhaps a navigational tool to move left/right as opposed to scrolling up and down? That way you only ever see a full image rather than the need to scroll?
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    Overall I'm very happy with the new SM. The smart phone version is way more useable. Now I need to do some custom stuff for that version.

Comments welcome...

http://www.threeguysphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2013
    That is very nicely laid out, Wayne.

I like the flow, and descriptions etc. background colour is nice and subtle too, so not overpowering.
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    Harm wrote: »
    That is very nicely laid out, Wayne.

I like the flow, and descriptions etc. background colour is nice and subtle too, so not overpowering.

Thanks! I really like your site too, Harmeet. I like the clean look of the white background and the widescreen slideshow really works well.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2013
    Thank you very much, sir!
  • Options
    tunglengtungleng Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 6, 2013
    Had fun customizing my site; tried to build something as far from the provided templates as possible. Maybe I've over-done it...

http://tungleng.smugmug.com

Thanks, and comments are welcome!
  • Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    tungleng wrote: »
    Had fun customizing my site; tried to build something as far from the provided templates as possible. Maybe I've over-done it...

I really like your site, you have some great images and the layout works. One thing I look for is something about the photographer. I want to know a little about the artist. So that would be my only suggestion is to add an "about me" page.
  • Options
    shmorishmori Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    Harm, Thank you for your comments and time.
    Harm wrote: »
    I like your site and it's contents.

Did you not fancy a search cloud in your "search" section?

Very simplistic, I like it a lot. Nice work Ashish.

I actually like how you have it presented right now, Aaron. Giving each image a large amount of space so they are the star of the show, so to say.

What would you change about it? Perhaps a navigational tool to move left/right as opposed to scrolling up and down? That way you only ever see a full image rather than the need to scroll?
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2013
    I really like your site, you have some great images and the layout works. One thing I look for is something about the photographer. I want to know a little about the artist. So that would be my only suggestion is to add an "about me" page.

Thanks Connie, you are too kind :D

I do have a Profile Block right at the bottom (you'll need to scroll down) on the Home Page.
    But it's out of the way and shows only the first line of text, so not many visitors have noticed it.

Thanks for pointing it out; I'll work on that About page.
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    tungleng wrote: »

I've just spent about an hour on your site and to sum it up, 'Wow.' You've got it all. Your site is extremely sophisticated and your work is amazing. The iconic kids show a humorous eye, and the shots from Nan Liao are brilliant. The first image from Upper Seletar Reservoir shows tremendous sensitivity in capturing a very small person looking outward from a very large world.

Congrats, I am full of admiration and envy.
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    shewolf808shewolf808 Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2013
    love what you've done

Love the lay out of your site! Can you tell me how you incorporated your blog into your site? This is exactly what I am looking for.

Cindie Wolf
    www.ownthemoments.com
  • Options
    VictorRVictorR Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2013
    I added a page and in the option it said add Url, the Url was my website. I beleive I got this info from one of the help sites smug hosts.
  • Options
    ultimachiultimachi Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2013
    KevinPaul wrote: »
    I still need to add the info pages and add some tweaks but I love the new smug!

Can you have a look at my home page and let me know if you notice any problems? Sometimes, a few images fail to load and leave blank spots in the layout.

http://www.kpclients.com/

Thanks!

Wow, unbelievable photos! Love your style! Keep shooting because you definitely have talent! :D
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    KevinPaul wrote: »
    Can you have a look at my home page and let me know if you notice any problems?
    I don't think you want your top level Information menu item to display anything - just the individual second level items under this!
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    shewolf808 wrote: »
    Love the lay out of your site! Can you tell me how you incorporated your blog into your site? This is exactly what I am looking for.

Cindie Wolf
    www.ownthemoments.com

The blog is on blogger - totally separate site. I just fiddled with the layout until it looked like my smug site. If you notice the menus aren't drop downs on the blogger side - couldn't get them to look right. ne_nau.gif
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    bchwlkrbchwlkr Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2013
    Please Review Ong Photos New Site
    Hi,
    After some head banging and much encouraging self talk I am happy with new look. Have not yet figured out how to get space between paragraphs in text. The edit box shows space but published text comes out all one paragraph. Would love suggestions & ideas about my site. Thanks.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2013
    I've just spent about an hour on your site and to sum it up, 'Wow.' You've got it all. Your site is extremely sophisticated and your work is amazing. The iconic kids show a humorous eye, and the shots from Nan Liao are brilliant. The first image from Upper Seletar Reservoir shows tremendous sensitivity in capturing a very small person looking outward from a very large world.

Congrats, I am full of admiration and envy.

Charles, thanks for your encouragement.
    You are too modest; I've been to your site, and you have some really inspiring shots!
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2013
    Overall I'm very happy with the new SM. The smart phone version is way more useable. Now I need to do some custom stuff for that version.

Comments welcome...

http://www.threeguysphotography.com

The site is very pleasing to the eye. It's simple by elegant.

Really good use of "white" space.

I might add some more details to your homepage - like where you guys are based out of or a value statement or something like that.

Also, I'd like to see a "call to action" on your homepage. What do you want your visitors to do?

Otherwise - it's a very well designed site. Great job.
  • Options
    The 48th RoninThe 48th Ronin Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    This is mine, http://www.briancareyphotography.com/
    Sure would like to have the old full screen slideshow back. The JFriend slideshow was great!
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    bchwlkr wrote: »
    Hi,
    After some head banging and much encouraging self talk I am happy with new look. Have not yet figured out how to get space between paragraphs in text. The edit box shows space but published text comes out all one paragraph. Would love suggestions & ideas about my site. Thanks.

To get the space between paragraphs of text insert html at the end of the paragraph like this<br><br>

I love your cloud reflections. If I were designing a site for you I would be tempted to try a theme with a big fullscreen image of one of those great images.

As it is I like the slideshow of critters but I don't see why you put the galleries below it since they are also a choice in the menu above. My feeling is that if you are going to have a slideshow on the home page it should not get competition from all the galleries. Although, maybe folks with very big monitors might see everything in one screen and have a different perspective. I have to scroll down to see the galleries below.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited September 8, 2013
    bchwlkr wrote: »

http://www.ongphotos.com/
    I've had better luck using an HTML content element instead of a text content element. With the HTML element you can easily use CSS to format that block and you can insert breaks as needed.

I'm a bit surprised that you've combined a slideshow and other "below the fold" elements on your home page. With the slideshow using the available vertical space in the browser window there isn't anything other than the scroll bar to entice the viewer to scroll. Your other content appears to be in your Galleries navbar entry so it's not needed on your home page.

You have removed the gallery name from the breadcrumb, leaving every gallery I looked at with just the "Nature" folder entry. Don't you want your viewers to know what gallery they are viewing. You can see my thoughts on this in the thread Are you really sure you want to hide the breadcrumb? Think of your viewers!

--- Denise
  • Options
    AmyBoooAmyBooo Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    Yay!
    Here's my new site. Thanks SmugMug, I'm thrilled!!

www.amygalbraith.com
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    AmyBooo wrote: »
    Here's my new site. Thanks SmugMug, I'm thrilled!!

www.amygalbraith.com

Amy, I love the typography, the use of the white background, the photography and the way your site looks like your blog (where you're still based in Wyoming). The only things I didn't like was the way blog could siphon off customers. I would open the blog in a new tab (choice in the nav bar dialog) and turn off the blog bar that links off to other blogs selling who knows what (do a search on google on how to turn blogger header bar off).