Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    Well I finally went live last night! It only took 2 months of tweaking and over 500 lines of CSS code but I'm really happy with it!

http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    In lightbox the "wrench Tools" shows and when hovered shows "remove" in drop (flyup).

Oops
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    Allen wrote: »
    In lightbox the "wrench Tools" shows and when hovered shows "remove" in drop (flyup).
    Oops

Allen, could you expand on what you mean by this. I'm a little confused.

I see that the Tools icon is showing. I'm not sure why it's doing that. Isn't it supposed to be hidden except for the logged in user (me)? Any idea why it's showing for all users?

What do you mean by "when hovered showed 'removed' in drop (flyout)"?

I fixed the overlap in the caption. Thanks for pointing that out!!!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    Allen, could you expand on what you mean by this. I'm a little confused.

I see that the Tools icon is showing. I'm not sure why it's doing that. Isn't it supposed to be hidden except for the logged in user (me)? Any idea why it's showing for all users?

What do you mean by "when hovered showed 'removed' in drop (flyout)"?

I fixed the overlap in the caption. Thanks for pointing that out!!!
    When I click or hover? the wrench in lightbox the pop up has the word "remove" is in it.

There should be no wrench showing logged out, a bug?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    That's a bug, reported in the thread wrench icon shows below photo when not logged in.

--- Denise
  • Options
    wingnut225wingnut225 Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    The Big Unveil
    OK guys, the big unveil! I finally got it to 99% of what I was shooting for. Please let me know what you think, the good, bad and ugly. I just realized that the log in and Smugmug logo stay at the top. Anyone know how to make that disappear?

Chuck

www.chuckrobinsonphoto.com
    Chuck Robinson
  • Options
    UbraneUbrane Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    Nothing to say: that's a really nice website, Chuck. And nice works too!
    wingnut225 wrote: »
    I just realized that the log in and Smugmug logo stay at the top. Anyone know how to make that disappear?
    Customize>Customize Site>Settings (at the top)>Smugmug Header OFF
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    Here is mine after a second round of tweaks:

http://threeguysphotography.com

Denise will be happy to know I have finally added some breadcrumbs to some of my pages... ;)

That's a bug, reported in the thread wrench icon shows below photo when not logged in.

--- Denise

1st. Where is that Quote I made red come from? This has been happening to me today that an extra quote appears that is unrelated to the post I was quoting?

2. So, how bad a bug is it? Anyone tried clicking on the remove? Will it actually remove the image? Give an error message? If it's actually active, then that's a pretty huge flaw.

EDIT: Went to the thread (should have done that first). So, if the tool is there alone, nothing happens when you click it. I did not see what the Remove does if it IS there and if you click it.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    http://threeguysphotography.com

Denise will be happy to know I have finally added some breadcrumbs to some of my pages... ;)
    You're right! It really does make the site easier to navigate plus it adds some context (titles) to your pages.

Your site looks good.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2013
    Well I finally went live last night! It only took 2 months of tweaking and over 500 lines of CSS code but I'm really happy with it!

http://www.aaronmphotography.com

Sensational images!

Impressive design.

however, for me the full screen slide show dissolve, with all your dazzling images, and then the overlays (which I like) is just too much. Others may disagree.

However, I think your site would greatly benefit from a feature some of us are requesting -- a feature that does not yet exist -- It would enable you to replace your opening slide show with a full page background image that just changed each time the page loaded or once a day. Here is the thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238840

As it is I think there is a mistake in the way you implimented the slide show. It seems that when you click "Land" the bg image changes to a particular landscape ( I think of Yosemite, maybe), but this doesn't happen when you click "People" or most other things. This sets up false expectations and is confusing. I'm not recommending that you find a People image to have it change to when you click "People". I'm recommending that you not change the image then at all.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    Sensational images!

Impressive design.

however, for me the full screen slide show dissolve, with all your dazzling images, and then the overlays (which I like) is just too much. Others may disagree.

Thanks! Ideally I'd like some form of a full-screen slideshow playing at the beginning. In Legacy SmugMug I had a much nicer full-screen slideshow that dissolved and transitioned much cleaner than this one. It also had control buttons for you to pause, go to the next or previous photo, etc. It used JavaScript and is not possible on the New SM. SM Support Heroes have mentioned they're working on something to solve this. For now I used the CSS "hack" which works alright enough for me to go live with the New SmugMug. I prefer to have a rotating set of images, rather than a static photo (or one that changes every load) because it makes the entry page a bit more ... dazzling?
    However, I think your site would greatly benefit from a feature some of us are requesting -- a feature that does not yet exist -- It would enable you to replace your opening slide show with a full page background image that just changed each time the page loaded or once a day. Here is the thread:

Yes! That is exactly what'd I'd love. If I could have my background image change on each page load. Or even change as the user sits on the page, kind of like how my Wordpress background changes: http://blog.aaronmphotography.com
    As it is I think there is a mistake in the way you implimented the slide show. It seems that when you click "Land" the bg image changes to a particular landscape ( I think of Yosemite, maybe), but this doesn't happen when you click "People" or most other things. This sets up false expectations and is confusing. I'm not recommending that you find a People image to have it change to when you click "People". I'm recommending that you not change the image then at all.

Hmm ... perhaps I'm not understanding your comment correctly:
    • ALL of my GALLERIES should load the photo of Yosemite with snow on the trees at sunset, with a glow on the mountains. If you're at "New Releases", "Land", "People", "City", etc. Any gallery should have that background. It shouldn't change at all and it should load for every gallery.
    • ALL of my PAGES load a different background ... one of a lake with a glow on the mountains (also from Yosemite). This includes the "Prints", "Bio", and "Newsletter" links.
    • The 404 page should load a completely different background, one of blue hour with the moon rising over Yosemite.

I think I'm mostly doing what you recommend -- that the image not change at all (with the exception being the 3 "pages" pages). Again, going back to your previous comment, I'd prob. love if the background loaded a randomly selected image each time ... or rotated through several images as the user watches. Perhaps that gets to be too much movement though? But yes, random background images would be amazing!

As it stands now I have to have 4 different themes in order for my backgrounds to change: one for the homepage, one for galleries, one for pages, and one for the 404 page. If I make a change to the CSS in one, I have to change the CSS in all the others. Pain in the tuchas if you ask me!

Thanks for your wonderfully thoughtful and constructive opinions. I really appreciate when people take the time to think about how things are, make intelligent recommendations, and try to offer solutions. It really shows you go above and beyond. Thanks again!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    I think I'm mostly doing what you recommend -- that the image not change at all (with the exception being the 3 "pages" pages). Again, going back to your previous comment, I'd prob. love if the background loaded a randomly selected image each time ... or rotated through several images as the user watches. Perhaps that gets to be too much movement though? But yes, random background images would be amazing!

I re-checked the thread I linked to and there is now a hack that does this -- loads a different image each time the page loads.

Ok, sorry, the way I described what was happening was very confusing.

Yes, the slide show ends and changes to the same landscape when you click any of the category choices. It was only when I chose "Land" that I thought that change made some kind of sense, and I mistakenly thought you were doing that on purpose. It is like that landscape image is your real background image and it is just stopping the slide show when you click on any of the categories, but the effect is that the slideshow seems to not stop, but change to that image.

Does that make sense?
  • Options
    wingnut225wingnut225 Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    Ubrane wrote: »
    Nothing to say: that's a really nice website, Chuck. And nice works too!

Customize>Customize Site>Settings (at the top)>Smugmug Header OFF

Thanks so much!
    Chuck Robinson
  • Options
    UbraneUbrane Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    Glad it worked! :)
  • Options
    wizardrywizardry Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2013
    Pretty basic for now...but here is mine....i would love to be able to randomize the slideshow and also be able to click on the slideshow and go to that specific image in a gallery...hopefully those 2 changes are in the works :)

http://www.scapeshots.com
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    wizardry wrote: »
    Pretty basic for now...but here is mine....i would love to be able to randomize the slideshow and also be able to click on the slideshow and go to that specific image in a gallery...hopefully those 2 changes are in the works :)

Why is your logo/banner larger than your slideshow? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Sir_EagleSir_Eagle Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins

Why is your logo/banner larger than your slideshow? ne_nau.gif
    Mike, what size is your monitor? I have a 22" wide screen and his slideshow is larger than his banner for me in FF.
  • Options
    Looking around more I would increase the 'line-height', especially on your "About Me" page to at least 1.5. As it is right now, it's hard to read. Same with your Pricing page. You have a typo on your Pricing page. You didn't capitalize 'i' "For prints on canvas and metal, i use different vendors to fill those orders since i can pass on bigger discounts to you due to my pro affiliation with them."
  • Options
    Sir_Eagle wrote: »
    Mike, what size is your monitor? I have a 22" wide screen and his slideshow is larger than his banner for me in FF.

17". :cry rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2013
    Thanks for the tips Mike. I noticed when i look at the site with a smaller monitor that the slideshow is pretty small...not sure why that is...stretchy?...I used a text field for the about me page so i might consider switching it to HTML so that i can make the text look better.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips Mike. I noticed when i look at the site with a smaller monitor that the slideshow is pretty small...not sure why that is...stretchy?...I used a text field for the about me page so i might consider switching it to HTML so that i can make the text look better.

You should be able to add
    body {line-height:1.5;}

to your site-wide CSS as it is.
  • Options
    Oops saw this too late and changed the pages to be HTML...any ideas about the slideshow and why it is smaller for some than others? I realize its a resolution thing so maybe there is no way around it...

You should be able to add
    body {line-height:1.5;}

to your site-wide CSS as it is.
  • Options
    SEToienSEToien Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    My new site design
    Hello,
    Here is my new site design: http://www.setoien.com
    I started off with the "Nyx" design, and did customization to menu layout and functionality, homepage contents and layout, and created info and "about" pages with text, using html to make text behave properly with line breaks etc. I made a new version of my old site banner, to make it suit the new design. I took some weeks till I found the result satisfactory, but I think the result made it worthwile! Hope you like it.

A couple of issues are not solved yet - hopefully SmugMug will make these possible to adress in the near future:
    - Slideshows in the galleries lack caption info - I think that is mandatory; it might work like the slideshow on the front page, showing the first line of the caption text.
    - The site banner displays really small on mobile devices. I have found no way to make a special banner for mobile viewing.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    Need and opinion please...
    Comments on my site have been sparce... www.brandolinoimaging.com ,not sure if it is just a bad site and no one wants to hurt my feelings or what... ne_nau.gif
    but I need an opinion on the homepage...

I moved the hompage nav to the top (from below the slideshow)... it is not a drop nav on home page,
    I also added a vertical display of a few popular images on the left (similar to my legacy site) and them a large display below the slideshow...
    Which one should I keep? Obviously both is too much, but I'd like opinions on which is a better look.
  • Options
    Comments on my site have been sparce... www.brandolinoimaging.com ,not sure if it is just a bad site and no one wants to hurt my feelings or what... ne_nau.gif
    but I need an opinion on the homepage...

I moved the hompage nav to the top (from below the slideshow)... it is not a drop nav on home page,
    I also added a vertical display of a few popular images on the left (similar to my legacy site) and them a large display below the slideshow...
    Which one should I keep? Obviously both is too much, but I'd like opinions on which is a better look.

I think there are way too many images on your home page. I would use no more than 12 of your BEST images. Not crazy about the rounded corners on the images either. Not a fan of the left navigation button/images. I'd rather see text, especially since the images are so tiny.
  • Options
    I think there are way too many images on your home page. I would use no more than 12 of your BEST images. Not crazy about the rounded corners on the images either. Not a fan of the left navigation button/images. I'd rather see text, especially since the images are so tiny.

Thanks for the input, but to clarify... the pics on the left AND below are from the popular images gallery. (The ones on the left are not meant to be navigation.)
    I am trying to decide on keeping the ones on the left or the ones below.
  • Options
    They may be popular, but I still think they're too many. I'm not using that feature, so I'm not familiar with it, but can you limit the images? I would get rid of the left "navigation" images.
  • Options
    They may be popular, but I still think they're too many. I'm not using that feature, so I'm not familiar with it, but can you limit the images? I would get rid of the left "navigation" images.

I agree on too many. I can limit number and have set it to 12 for now.
    Thanks for input on left side
  • Options
    lbrubylbruby Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    Well, after weeks of figuring everything out I finally unveiled my site tonight. I went through a lot of frustration, and the simplicity of this probably doesn't reflect the amount of time that went into it. Still struggling with a problem or two, and have a lot more work I want to do to clean up photo titles and captions. My site got pretty messy before the new smugmug was rolled out. I'm a hobby photographer, but am looking into doing a little more with my photos.

http://www.creationsxpressions.com/

I want to say thanks to everyone sharing here and in particular to macromeister. I "borrowed" a lot of ideas from macromeister's site. I liked the simplicity and focus on the photos, and the text pages he has. And thank you to those who posted code for customizations and workarounds for bugs. I used a few of them. I started with the Zoe design, and ended up with something that doesn't look anything like that design.

I'm interested in knowing what people think. (FYI - I am aware of a problem with the layout on my Home page on larger wide screen monitors. The tag line across the top is way to the left of the image, and isn't supposed to be. It doesn't happen on other monitor configurations. I haven't figured out how to fix it yet.)
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    lbruby wrote: »
    Well, after weeks of figuring everything out I finally unveiled my site tonight.

http://www.creationsxpressions.com/

Your logo is currently in a gallery which is set to "private", this makes it invisible if you're not logged on (try logging out, then hold the shift key on your keyboard and click the refresh button). You need to change that gallery to Unlisted to allow the photo to display.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins