Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2013
    lbruby wrote: »
    Well, now I am seeing it after refreshing my browser. What a pain. I don't want my Logo gallery to be public. I saw some issues posted about this in other threads, but thought if the Gallery wasn't in a sub-folder it would be OK. Thanks for letting me know.

It doesn't need to be public, you can set it to Unlisted. It just can't be set to Private.
  • Options
    lbrubylbruby Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    Lamah wrote: »
    It doesn't need to be public, you can set it to Unlisted. It just can't be set to Private.

Lamah, I just removed my posts saying I wasn't seeing the problem, because I thought they were in the wrong place. This thread layout is confusing me. So now your latest reply looks like it doesn't make sense :-). Sorry. I will play with it some more. I think I had it as Unlisted with a password, so maybe that was the problem. Thanks!
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm trying out something new for my Browse page, I'd love to hear any opinions on it!

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/browse

Nice site and photos. I hadn't seen your site before, so not sure how it looked prior to now. I like the creative idea behind the images on the left, but I'm on a laptop computer with a 15" screen, so a bit small. For me, the left side images are distracting and keep pulling my eyes away from your gallery photos. I don't know if it would bother me less on a bigger screen.
  • Options
    Nice site and photos. I hadn't seen your site before, so not sure how it looked prior to now. I like the creative idea behind the images on the left, but I'm on a laptop computer with a 15" screen, so a bit small. For me, the left side images are distracting and keep pulling my eyes away from your gallery photos. I don't know if it would bother me less on a bigger screen.

Ahhh... true... I see that now. Thanks for the look!
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    You're right! It really does make the site easier to navigate plus it adds some context (titles) to your pages.

Your site looks good.

--- Denise

Thanks! I agree it works well on certain pages.
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    I'm trying out something new for my Browse page, I'd love to hear any opinions on it!

Hi Nicholas,

I found the vertical images on the left intriguing and kept attracting my eye. I suppose that could also mean they are a bit distracting to the browse process because I was eager to scroll down to see more of the vertical images...22" monitor. Neat idea though

Enjoyed your photos of the U of Otago. We have a day in Dunedin in February (off a cruise) and have added the campus as one of the places to visit.

Cheers,
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    pileofprintspileofprints Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins

I am deeply indebted to you for the work you did on the new background image on refresh hack. And I just decided to implement it realizing that if I would be doing what you are doing here -- turning by old home page into a splash screen as you have done and wanting to keep that old home page as what you have renamed a "browse" page. I'm guessing I have to destroy and recreate the customization on that home page to move it.

I wanted to comment on your the design of your new browse page -- which, although, obviously I love the concept of separating the featured galleries from the splash screen I think that the background images clash with the galleries here.

Also, I think you will want to feature at the top of the browse page the gallery from which the opening page backgrounds are coming so that viewers you come back to your site expecting to see the background image they saw last time can easily find that image again. A home page cover image gallery featured near the top of the browse page will help tie that page to the home page.

I find that on other sites that combine on the home page a background image with a featured gallery overlay that is a visual overkill -- too much of a good thing. That is why I like the idea of separating them.
  • Options
    knesiknesi Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    www.katenesi.com - fully customized and my blog matches http://blog.katenesi.com

I put in extra CSS code for the fonts and colors to be easily used throughout.
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2013
    knesi wrote: »
    www.katenesi.com - fully customized and my blog matches http://blog.katenesi.com

I like what you did. Nice site. Fun and easy to navigate.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator

Overall I like the look of your site. I would prefer if the side navbar be placed consistently in the two sites. I would also prefer to see the same entries in both navbars.

Something odd happens the first time I click blog from your smug site - a new browser tab was opened. But if I then click from the blog to your website and back to your blog it sticks in that second browser tab. I do not think you should open a new browser tab unless your viewer requests one.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ThreeGuysPhotographyThreeGuysPhotography Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins

Nice consistent look and feel for both, but a more seamless transition between them would work a bit better. I enjoyed looking through your work.
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    I want to say thanks to everyone sharing here and in particular to macromeister. I "borrowed" a lot of ideas from macromeister's site. I liked the simplicity and focus on the photos, and the text pages he has. And thank you to those who posted code for customizations and workarounds for bugs. I used a few of them. I started with the Zoe design, and ended up with something that doesn't look anything like that design.

Lisa

'Simplicity and focus'. My wife (she's rolling on the floor with laughter) would agree with the former, but not the latter in reference to myself. :D

Your site looks good. Nice layout, easy to navigate, and nothing too flashy or crowded. It also looks good on my Samsung S3 smartphone. I did notice that when I hover over 'galleries' it lists four galleries, but when I actually click on the gallery link (without making a sub-selection) it gives me seven galleries on the gallery page. Not sure why that's happening. Your people gallery is not showing any images apart from the gallery icon image of a girl. Are they private images perhaps?

'Focus' I'm not going to live that one down... rolleyes1.gif
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options

Not my personal taste of subject matter, but I have to admire the fresh clean look you get in your portrait images. They give the site a very clean, bright, and energetic feel. I also like the multi-font-multi-colour menu. That, like your images shows some creativity - which is always a good thing!
  • Options
    Lisa

'Simplicity and focus'. My wife (she's rolling on the floor with laughter) would agree with the former, but not the latter in reference to myself. :D

Your site looks good. Nice layout, easy to navigate, and nothing too flashy or crowded. It also looks good on my Samsung S3 smartphone. I did notice that when I hover over 'galleries' it lists four galleries, but when I actually click on the gallery link (without making a sub-selection) it gives me seven galleries on the gallery page. Not sure why that's happening. Your people gallery is not showing any images apart from the gallery icon image of a girl. Are they private images perhaps?

'Focus' I'm not going to live that one down... rolleyes1.gif

I seem to have a certain level of ADHD myself these days, and this was probably one of the few places where I seemed to go with simplicity :-). Although I can't say it was simple getting it to this point.

I currently have my People Galleries as Unlisted. Guess I should try making the Folder Unlisted too for now, or else list the Galleries. I wasn't sure if I wanted to make those public. Most of them are photos from family events. I fully customized my menu Galleries links to provide the short cuts to only some areas for now, mostly because I have my People Galleries Unlisted. Sounds like I have a few inconsistencies I should try to clean up. Thanks for the info on how it looks on your phone. I have an older Motorola Droid 2, and it looks reasonable on there. Appreciate the feedback.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by macromeister View Post
    Lisa

'Simplicity and focus'. My wife (she's rolling on the floor with laughter) would agree with the former, but not the latter in reference to myself.

'Focus' I'm not going to live that one down...
    I seem to have a certain level of ADHD myself these days, and this was probably one of the few places where I seemed to go with simplicity :-). Although I can't say it was simple getting it to this point.

I currently have my People Galleries as Unlisted. Guess I should try making the Folder Unlisted too for now, or else list the Galleries. I wasn't sure if I wanted to make those public. Most of them are photos from family events. I fully customized my menu Galleries links to provide the short cuts to only some areas for now, mostly because I have my People Galleries Unlisted. Sounds like I have a few inconsistencies I should try to clean up. Thanks for the info on how it looks on your phone. I have an older Motorola Droid 2, and it looks reasonable on there. Appreciate the feedback.

Just realized something else. When you click on my Galleries menu link, it takes you to the standard Smugmug Browse page, which has both Folders and Galleries. I got rid of the titles and some of the top and bottom margins between the Folders and Galleries sections because I didn't care for the separation. That's another reason things are different between that page and my menu navigation. I don't have direct links to everything right now on my top level menu, because I wanted to focus on specific areas as far as short cuts for directing people. I had a very tough time figuring out how to organize things because I have such a mixture of stuff on my site. Finally did the best I could for now and unveiled it because my old site was really a big mess. I'm sure I'll keep refining the organization over time.
  • Options
    Just realized something else. When you click on my Galleries menu link, it takes you to the standard Smugmug Browse page, which has both Folders and Galleries. I got rid of the titles and some of the top and bottom margins between the Folders and Galleries sections because I didn't care for the separation. That's another reason things are different between that page and my menu navigation. I don't have direct links to everything right now on my top level menu, because I wanted to focus on specific areas as far as short cuts for directing people. I had a very tough time figuring out how to organize things because I have such a mixture of stuff on my site. Finally did the best I could for now and unveiled it because my old site was really a big mess. I'm sure I'll keep refining the organization over time.

I'm not too hot on the structure thing - someone else will probably suggest an answer. But if you hover over galleries in the menu the URL (at bottom of browser) points to creationsxpressions/browse which as you suggest is the default. I think you probably don't have all your galleries in a folder with a specific name. If you try the same on my site http://www.macromeister.co.uk/ and hover over 'images' (which I created) it points to a folder called images. then when you hover over 'botanic' it points to images/botanic. You probably just need to drag your galleries around into a proper structure? Here's my layout in 'organize site'

i-WLPXcZk-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    Minor changes love your input
    Hey everyone after some minor changes one of which was suggested by Denise which was to have titles so people know where they are in the website. I though I'd come on back and see what you all think of my site now. I'd love to hear any feed back good or bad so I can continue to work on it and make it not only visibly appealing but also work great too. So with that being said bring on the comments!
  • Options
    ko04 wrote: »
    ...I though I'd come on back and see what you all think of my site now.
    Overall I think your site looks good - and you already know I'm glad to see the titles in your galleries!

How did you place your logo on the page? The reason I ask is if I resize the browser window it disappears and doesn't reappear until I open a new page. It happens when I make the window larger or smaller, very odd. I checked it in Firefox and Chrome, both current releases.

The Fine Art Photography page looks like it should be centered but it isn't. There is a noticeably empty large space on the left side of the window that isn't matched on the right. Is that what you intended?

You might want to rethink your navbar presentation - at least match the font (all caps vs. mixed case) in the two. I'd prefer to see the navbars match entirely but font would be a start.

--- Denise
  • Options
    I'm not too hot on the structure thing - someone else will probably suggest an answer. But if you hover over galleries in the menu the URL (at bottom of browser) points to creationsxpressions/browse which as you suggest is the default. I think you probably don't have all your galleries in a folder with a specific name. If you try the same on my site http://www.macromeister.co.uk/ and hover over 'images' (which I created) it points to a folder called images. then when you hover over 'botanic' it points to images/botanic. You probably just need to drag your galleries around into a proper structure? Here's my layout in 'organize site'

i-WLPXcZk-XL.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Your structure is much simpler than mine, so lends itself to what you did. I have multiple folders of galleries and some folders have sub-folders of galleries. You have a single folder with all of your galleries in the single folder. I have a lot more galleries than you do, and really feel I need the nested structure to keep things organized. I wanted to provide some direct short cuts from my navigation menu to galleries and sub-folders that are buried inside of other folders. I didn't yet want to create the menu short cuts to everything, so that's why it's the way it is and doesn't completely match what you see when you go to the browse page. I may always want it that way. My whole structure is too big to try to paste in here to show you what the folder and gallery structure looks like.

Did you find the difference between the navigation menu and the browse page to be confusing? If so, I'll have to think about what to do about it.

Lisa
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    Overall I think your site looks good - and you already know I'm glad to see the titles in your galleries!

How did you place your logo on the page? The reason I ask is if I resize the browser window it disappears and doesn't reappear until I open a new page. It happens when I make the window larger or smaller, very odd. I checked it in Firefox and Chrome, both current releases.

The Fine Art Photography page looks like it should be centered but it isn't. There is a noticeably empty large space on the left side of the window that isn't matched on the right. Is that what you intended?

You might want to rethink your navbar presentation - at least match the font (all caps vs. mixed case) in the two. I'd prefer to see the navbars match entirely but font would be a start.

--- Denise

Glad to see you enjoy those titles mwink.gif, I did it just for you Denise haha jk. What you suggested on the titles made sense as I was going through my website and thinking to myself umm "wait what page is this" I mean hell if I was getting lost I can only imagine what customers might think haha.

For my logo I am using a photo block because for some reason I was having issue's what I had my navbar and logo centered to get it centered. I will change it out and use a logo block and see how it acts.

As far as my fine art page it looks fine depending on the size of the page. I am using smugmug's tool to size it so maybe that is why maybe if I figured out how to lock it in no matter what size the page it would be fine.

Lastly thanks for the suggestions on my navbar. As always you have great insight and it is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    eternalhopeeternalhope Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 25, 2013
    I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it!
    Thanks to the brilliant SmugMug team, I now have a website that I am proud to showcase to the world! You guys are ROCK STARS!! I'm so glad I held off from contacting a website designer! I've learnt a lot in the process, so thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Please take a look at my new Smuggy site! I'd appreciate your comments and constructive feedback, if you have time :ivar

All smiles wings.gif

Jane of Eternalhope Creations
  • Options
    Thanks to the brilliant SmugMug team, I now have a website that I am proud to showcase to the world! You guys are ROCK STARS!! I'm so glad I held off from contacting a website designer! I've learnt a lot in the process, so thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Please take a look at my new Smuggy site! I'd appreciate your comments and constructive feedback, if you have time :ivar

All smiles wings.gif

Jane of Eternalhope Creations

Congratulations! Glad you're happy! I just took a look at your site. Looks very nice. I like the simple clean sites like yours. I really enjoyed some of your wedding photos. I think you have some of your best shots too far down into the Portfolio page. I'm not a professional, it's just my personal reaction after looking through a lot of them.

There are photos coming up (or rather not coming up) on your Portfolio page that appear to be private, unlisted, or something like that, not sure. The thumbnails are just a blank grey box and have the names of the events on them. Photos don't display. Doing click through in the light box brings up a blank lightbox page. I can't help with what would cause this, but thought you might want to know. They are sprinkled around the Portfolio page. Make sure you look at it not signed in. I'm guessing when you're signed in you won't see the problem.

Lisa
  • Options
    eternalhopeeternalhope Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Congratulations! Glad you're happy! I just took a look at your site. Looks very nice. I like the simple clean sites like yours. I really enjoyed some of your wedding photos. I think you have some of your best shots too far down into the Portfolio page. I'm not a professional, it's just my personal reaction after looking through a lot of them.

There are photos coming up (or rather not coming up) on your Portfolio page that appear to be private, unlisted, or something like that, not sure. The thumbnails are just a blank grey box and have the names of the events on them. Photos don't display. Doing click through in the light box brings up a blank lightbox page. I can't help with what would cause this, but thought you might want to know. They are sprinkled around the Portfolio page. Make sure you look at it not signed in. I'm guessing when you're signed in you won't see the problem.

Lisa

Thanks for taking a look and offering me your encouraging thoughts! I'm shifting my client focus to families and children next year, so hence why I've positioned the portfolio images in that order! Very observant of you though!!
    I have checked out the missing images and can't see where that is happening. It's appearing so on mobile devices, but fine on my Mac, so maybe there's a glitch I need to ask SmugMug about...maybe when they're less swamped with desperate pleas for help!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. Your structure is much simpler than mine, so lends itself to what you did. I have multiple folders of galleries and some folders have sub-folders of galleries. You have a single folder with all of your galleries in the single folder. I have a lot more galleries than you do, and really feel I need the nested structure to keep things organized. I wanted to provide some direct short cuts from my navigation menu to galleries and sub-folders that are buried inside of other folders. I didn't yet want to create the menu short cuts to everything, so that's why it's the way it is and doesn't completely match what you see when you go to the browse page. I may always want it that way. My whole structure is too big to try to paste in here to show you what the folder and gallery structure looks like.

Did you find the difference between the navigation menu and the browse page to be confusing? If so, I'll have to think about what to do about it.

Lisa

The complexity of yours shouldn't matter. I think when you set up your link to the gallery you might have chosen browse/page from the options on offer. I just tried it and it gives a URL of 'browse', which is what you have. I set up a folder called 'images' and in the link option for the menu I selected 'page/choose' and pointed it to the images folder. Everything I created after that hangs off 'images', and you should be able to do the same even though you have a more complex hierarchy. Just create an images folder, drag everything into it, and then change the menu link to point to the images folder as the first level.
  • Options
    I also like the clean look of your site.

The one thing that jumped out at me is the height of your header - on a large screen monitor it takes up 1/3 of the vertical space. On a laptop, netbook, or tablet the percentage used by your header (and not available for your photos) would be even higher. Isn't the point of your site to showcase your photos? See the first post of the thread The purpose (and size) of a banner image.

Check this tool - http://quirktools.com/screenfly/ - to see how your site looks on different devices.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AjdrakieAjdrakie Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    Unveiling
    Do we have to unveil first? i.e. before getting feedback?

I'm guessing the answer is yes, in which case I have another question: Once I unveil, how much customizing can I still do? Is it just the same as before unveiling? I'm rather intimidated by the "permanent" "no-turning-back" part of it.

But, if I understand correctly, there is no way for you to see my new site until I unveil it, right? Duh. That makes sense.

I think I've learned a lot and am sort-of satisfied with the look, but,... there are always little things.
    One is that with all the keywords I have entered on my photos, still only a few show up on my Keyword Search page. And there are other little "glitches" that I have encountered.

I just want to be sure that I still have options to improve even after I unveil. Could I also change the theme if I find it isn't working exactly the way I want? Or is that too major? There's still so much more to play with and to learn.

Feedback is really appreciated since I would love to have a site as fabulous as those I have seen recently.

Thanks,
  • Options
    Ajdrakie wrote: »
    Do we have to unveil first? i.e. before getting feedback?

I'm guessing the answer is yes, in which case I have another question: Once I unveil, how much customizing can I still do? Is it just the same as before unveiling? I'm rather intimidated by the "permanent" "no-turning-back" part of it.
    yes, you must unveil first - we can't see your site if it isn't unveiled.

You can do as much customization as you'd like after unveiling.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AjdrakieAjdrakie Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    Unveiled -- sort of like married, I suppose.
    yes, you must unveil first - we can't see your site if it isn't unveiled.

You can do as much customization as you'd like after unveiling.

--- Denise

Thank you, Denise,

Here is the link. I look forward to your suggestions and comments -- I realize there is still a lot of cleaning up to do, but feedback always helps when we have a job to do.

http://photos.terrasseaudrey.com
  • Options
    Ajdrakie wrote: »
    I like the overall look of your site, very nice.

A couple of suggestions:
    • I'd recommend removing the smug header and footer - they are not needed and take away from the focus on your work. Go into customize, then settings, turn those two items off.
    • You might consider making the font size of your menu entries a little larger.
    • Your drop-down menu entries are too long. The entries don't all fit on a large monitor, can't even imaging on a laptop or tablet or phone.
    --- Denise