Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    zgreth wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of simple is better, so that was my take on my new smugmug site. I had previously taken up with squarespace to get some nice professional looking galleries to go with my smugmug hosted images, but I hated that I had to keep both updated and the traffic between them didn't flow very well. Very happy to have everything back in one place, and I must say that the new galleries match very well with what I could get from squarespace.

http://www.zgrethphoto.com

Zach

The style and design of your website is almost academic - as your images are so good! But that said, the simplicity of the site doesn't distract one from those images, which I think is a good way to go. The images speak for themselves. I think I have to feel slightly envious :cry

On your gallieries page (from Browse) some of the galleries don't have an image showing. Is that intentional?
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2013
    MartinJD wrote: »
    New guy here - I recently moved from Zenfolio to Smugmug because of the new design and the ability to do more with my home page, I really like the changes..

I'm still waiting for my Domain to transfer but for the next few days you can find me @ martins-photography.smugmug.com/

Once my domain has transfered from 1and1 you can find me @ www.martins-photography.com thumb.gif

Very good. Really nice images, which make most of the impact of the site. The structure of the site itself is clean and simple, with good colours to show off those nice coloured shots. I'd like a bit more info on the landscapes. Several shots looks like Welsh mountains (I live in Wales) but there is no info. People may be interested in things like that.
  • Options
    MartinJDMartinJD Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    Thank you for reply - I only added the images a couple of days ago - Over the next few day's I shall add the information to each photo :)
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2013
    some very impressive websites about!
  • Options
    PhilDaPhotPhilDaPhot Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    Would love some feedback on

http://www.phillipcullinanphotography.com/

Thanks

Phil
    Phillip Cullinan

http://www.phillipcullinanphotography.com

If your photos aren't good enough, then you are not close enough.

Robert Capa
  • Options
    zgrethzgreth Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2013
    The style and design of your website is almost academic - as your images are so good! But that said, the simplicity of the site doesn't distract one from those images, which I think is a good way to go. The images speak for themselves. I think I have to feel slightly envious :cry

On your gallieries page (from Browse) some of the galleries don't have an image showing. Is that intentional?

Thanks so much! And thanks for pointing that out about the galleries. I've been spending the last few days getting Lightroom organized properly and when I re-synced it to my SmugMug galleries they must have been deleted since those galleries were just collections. I got distracted by my logo getting deleted and then Lightroom not properly uploading .png files (transparent background doesn't go along with the file). After I fixed that I went to bed and didn't inspect the rest of the site, so thanks for letting me know.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    PhilDaPhot wrote: »

Thanks

Phil

Beautiful site. I was looking at your horse photos and kind of got lost as to where I was, so I clicked the folder icon in the breadcrumb which I think would be for Clients, and it didn't take me anywhere. The screen is black.

The URL for the image is this:
    http://www.phillipcullinanphotography.com/Clients/Ally-Drewett/Ally-Drewett-1

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the customization to know what the problem or fix is.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    ko04 wrote: »
    That's an interesting idea you got there I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with. Love input like this! Always love to hear how to improve my site.

On your contact page "What is the date you looking to capture some memories:" is kinda awkward to me. Love your site build!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I was looking at your horse photos and kind of got lost as to where I was...
    I was looking at the 'Dykes on bikes' photos and got kinda lost... but if you like horses...:D

Thanks

Phil
    Phil

I like the site. Simply. clean layout, and very nice images. Just one thing I thought didn't gel very well. The 'about me' (copied below) is rather confusing regards where your main interest lies - in the navy, or in photography. I'd drop the word 'moon-lighting'. Not sure about Australia but here in the UK it has a rather negative impact. It sort of suggests you are doing photography when you really shouldn't be. That might not attract paying clients quite so much, if that is what your intention is. Good site though!
    My home is currently located in Canberra, ACT, Australia.

For over 15 years, I've been in the photography business. I'm a family man, married, and enjoy raising my two daughters.

My love for photography started at a young age and over the years, the technology has changed, but my love for photography hasn't.

I started my career with the Royal Australian Navy in which I still work. I have covered many topics throughout my time with the Navy. While I "do" photography on the side, it's more of a part-time, full-time job. My professional career enables me to moonlight as a photographer and enjoy what I do full time with my passion for photography.

I enjoy shooting action, sports, family/child/baby portraits, events (reunions, birthdays, anniversaries).

Whatever your photography needs are, I can help.

• Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    On your contact page "What is the date you looking to capture some memories:" is kinda awkward to me. Love your site build!clap.gif

May I ask what it is that you feel is awkward is it the wording in general or does it not sound professional? could you explain a your thoughts a little so I know how to fix it or make it better, or maybe even change it. Also thank you for your complement I love doing this site building and seeing where I can take my vision even thought my coding skills are kind of subpar.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2013
    zgreth wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of simple is better
    You're a member of a very exclusive club! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    MartinJD wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my Domain to transfer but for the next few days you can find me @ martins-photography.smugmug.com/
    Realising English may be a second language for you, you may wish to know that "prefer's" doesn't have an apostrophe! :D
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    Would love some feedback on http://www.phillipcullinanphotography.com/
    I nearly got knocked over by the size of the logo at the start of the home page slide show! What purpose does it serve? Is it necessary at all?
  • Options
    MalkiMalki Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2013
    Love it. Definitely fresh and exciting with great colors. Great job.

Here is my New Smugmug site as it stands, not very much customization going on except for the wufoo contact form work around. Really happy with the site and switch-over so far. Let me know what you think!

Site ---> www.jarboedoggart.com

Woah! How on earth did you get the slideshow to be fullscreen like that? I'm desperately after that!!!
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    I nearly got knocked over by the size of the logo at the start of the home page slide show! What purpose does it serve? Is it necessary at all?

Thanks for the input on that. I was umming and arring over that one. You just made the decision for me so thanks for the feedback on that.

Phil
    Phillip Cullinan

Robert Capa
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Beautiful site. I was looking at your horse photos and kind of got lost as to where I was, so I clicked the folder icon in the breadcrumb which I think would be for Clients, and it didn't take me anywhere. The screen is black.

The URL for the image is this:
    http://www.phillipcullinanphotography.com/Clients/Ally-Drewett/Ally-Drewett-1

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the customization to know what the problem or fix is.

ChancyRat thans for the information. I will look into that and fix it up as required. Loving the input.

Phil
    Phillip Cullinan

Robert Capa
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    I think I'm pretty much done, certainly in terms of the layout, colours and so on. Just need to add some more images and complete photo details. Might also add an about page but I currently have a another site which I've linked to as a blog.

www.charlesheadey.com

Let rip, I can take it!

Charlie
  • Options
    stu1102stu1102 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 4, 2013
    IanBrodiephoto,net
    Brodes wrote: »
    Have made the transition. Really happy so far.

http://www.ianbrodiephoto.net

Stunning photographs Ian
  • Options
    UbraneUbrane Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    stu1102 wrote: »
    Stunning photographs Ian
    Wow, indeed! Impressive pictures of the world of Tolkien!
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Brodes wrote: »
    Have made the transition. Really happy so far.

http://www.ianbrodiephoto.net

Crikey, Ian! You get around a bit don't you. :D I spent a week in a holiday cottage in Dunster last year and never went to the castle, which was about 100 metres away. I need to get out more - great shot (and website as a whole) http://www.ianbrodiephoto.net/Image-of-the-Day/Image-of-the-Day/i-zpWrcjt/A
  • Options
    LeshaLesha Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Replicated old smugmug site design "under new management"
    When smugmug.com rolled out its change from a great hosting engine to even better one, I was quite skeptical - you know, don't fix what isn't broken, don't run from good to better and so on.
    I was right to a high degree - even though new customisation features supposed to be more powerful and make site design and maintenance significantly easier, at the very least all customizations and tune-ups I have made to my site based on old engine were no longer applicable to new site.
    After initial frustration has worn out, I decided to give new engine a try. My objective mostly was to preserve behavior and look and feel of old site.
    Surprisingly enough, restoring most of original appearance and behavior was not as difficult as initial implementation of the site - I do not know if it because of my accumulated experience or new engine is indeed easier to tune.
    Of course, few nice customizations solely depending on javascript were gone irreversibly, because new site does not allow custom scripts. But some of new features, like ability to integrate feeds and place custom html widgets nearly made it up.
    So, after few evenings of busy work I was finally able to turn the switch and let new version of my site to go wild - please take a look and let me know what you think about www.alexmoiseyev.com
    Lesha

My site: www.alexmoiseyev.com
  • Options
    MartinJDMartinJD Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2013
    Realising English may be a second language for you, you may wish to know that "prefer's" doesn't have an apostrophe! :D

Fixed - thank you :D
  • Options
    Focused FrameFocused Frame Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    Breaking out and going live
    I'm finally live and look forward to hearing feedback anyone has. I should have more posts and online repoire for the countless hours I've spend learning form you all over the past years. All I can say is THANK YOU Andy & Denise (& so many more) for helping me get to where I am today.

If you have a minute check it out:
    http://focusedframe.com
    Brenda Davis
    Elegantly Adventurous Photography
    http://focusedframe.com
  • Options
    hojphotographyhojphotography Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2013
    It is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
    ..for now anyway still have 1 or 2 issues with video that I have to get sorted. I didnt add any CSS really just changed around some of the standard themes. A quick 2 question survey for you though.
    1. Do the background images take to long to load?
    2. Just curious is the Collage Landscape layout a bit confusing to take it all in?
    Thanks,
    Joseph
  • Options
    Paul WestlakePaul Westlake Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    My new site
    Here it is my very first Smugmug site. I can't believe I did it without too much help from my friends.

http://paulwestlake.smugmug.com/

:ivar
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    It is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
    ..for now anyway still have 1 or 2 issues with video that I have to get sorted. I didnt add any CSS really just changed around some of the standard themes. A quick 2 question survey for you though.
    1. Do the background images take to long to load?
    2. Just curious is the Collage Landscape layout a bit confusing to take it all in?
    Thanks,
    Joseph
    Backgroung picture on the home page took about 6 seconds to load first time, a bit long in my opinion. What I liked even less, once it loads, white text becomes hard to read. Even though you have gray "shade" underneath, backround is still too bright.
    Having a lot of photos in a single page makes it "too much" - you have to scroll down several screen sizes to see all, and ot's just too many pictures to see at once.

Also, few folders in travel galleries have only one gallery in them ("cruises", for example) - unless you plan to add more soon, I would consider moving these galleries to the top level and get rid of the folder.
    Lesha

• Options
    cmjdaviescmjdavies Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Hi guys,

Still putting final tweaks in but I'm stoked at what I've achieved. I've actually got a different home page layout to the rest of my site by using custom pages. It's exactly as I planned a few months back when I penned my design. Just need to sort out the blog but at least it's back in now.

I love how my bike and skiing galleries display in the new collage styles. So do editors too, I'm getting so much work right now!

Please check it out and let me know what you think (and anything that doesn't work).

www.chrisdaviesphotography.com

Thanks

Chris
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    cmjdavies wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Still putting final tweaks in but I'm stoked at what I've achieved. I've actually got a different home page layout to the rest of my site by using custom pages. It's exactly as I planned a few months back when I penned my design. Just need to sort out the blog but at least it's back in now.

I love how my bike and skiing galleries display in the new collage styles. So do editors too, I'm getting so much work right now!

Please check it out and let me know what you think (and anything that doesn't work).

www.chrisdaviesphotography.com

Thanks

Chris

Very nicely done, Chris. Clean and simple, the colours work well.

What I did notice - a very minor nitpick - is when you scroll to the bottom of your "about" page, the social media icons and the "Photo Sharing by Smugmug" clash together. Something you may want to tidy up.

Also in your Search section, most people now have one of those word globes, to help people in their quests/searches. Was this something you wanted to omit on purpose (perhaps for the clean aesthetics?)

Cheers,
    Harmeet
  • Options
    hojphotographyhojphotography Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2013
    Lesha wrote: »
    Backgroung picture on the home page took about 6 seconds to load first time, a bit long in my opinion. What I liked even less, once it loads, white text becomes hard to read. Even though you have gray "shade" underneath, backround is still too bright.
    Having a lot of photos in a single page makes it "too much" - you have to scroll down several screen sizes to see all, and ot's just too many pictures to see at once.

Also, few folders in travel galleries have only one gallery in them ("cruises", for example) - unless you plan to add more soon, I would consider moving these galleries to the top level and get rid of the folder.

I reduced the size of the background images from X3Large to to XLarge which reduced the file size from 861KB to 361KB and I darkened the text box on the homepage. On the bigger galleries I changed back to Smugmug style such as Rome, London but left the smaller galleries at Collage Landscape style as i think it fills the page better when theres fewer images. I did move the cruise gallery out of its folder but it messed up the layout of that page, appearing on its own underneath the travel folders. I do have other cruise images to put in at some time anyway.. My main worry though was the loading time of the background images (which could also be down to Smugs servers anyway), but if you could empty your cache and check it again, that would be great.
    Thanks,
    Joseph
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2013
    I reduced the size of the background images from X3Large to to XLarge which reduced the file size from 861KB to 361KB and I darkened the text box on the homepage. On the bigger galleries I changed back to Smugmug style such as Rome, London but left the smaller galleries at Collage Landscape style as i think it fills the page better when theres fewer images. I did move the cruise gallery out of its folder but it messed up the layout of that page, appearing on its own underneath the travel folders. I do have other cruise images to put in at some time anyway.. My main worry though was the loading time of the background images (which could also be down to Smugs servers anyway), but if you could empty your cache and check it again, that would be great.
    Thanks,
    Joseph
    Much better now - homepage text is readable, and bacground images load in 1-2 sec (I guess it more depends on server load than on sixe of the image now). I also thin large galleries in smugmug style are more useable now.
    Lesha