Pull backs....lets have some!

Comments

• KMpicsKMpics Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Thats what I call a MacGiver approach and I'm just not that talented to think of doing that. Seriously, it is really super.

Well that is saying something! ...and thanks so much for the resource you have provided with this thread! I have learned everything I know about photography and lighting from people like you. Not a single class, just learning from doing and research on the web/ lusting over gear and what it does.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    Must have been dog week. Here are a few more and I've got one later today with her owner.
    Hope the setup is self explanatory.

1. i-dJKPfbV-X3.jpg

2. i-WGzmH6Z-X3.jpg

3. i-3wh77TW-X3.jpg

4. i-tHWNzkv-X3.jpg

4.5 i-QrBwbtq-X3.jpg

5. i-8MGZmPs-X3.jpg

6. i-jG97bJp-X3.jpg

7. i-TZXtMHS-X3.jpg
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    Those are cute Charles! Very nice!
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 640 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    Nice series Charles!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
    edited April 25, 2014
    All of these were with the beauty dish and some wall paper and some cloth from the local fabric store total $23.00. Clipped three strips together and had some styro foam between white towels and a heating pad to keep the youngin warm and sleepy. On the bare behind shot the dish was feather a lot to keep the light off the bkg some as there was enough light bouncing off the towels to reflect back to the face.

On the angel wings shot mom was laying on the floor with the baby on her chest. Ava did a great job at the age of 7 days.

1. i-F8Lx9z3-X2.jpg

2. i-mHQF5px-X2.jpg

3. i-2RV5gNz-X2.jpg

4. i-CNQKthF-X2.jpg

5. i-9mqdBGG-X3.jpg

6. i-9gCm6Lt-X2.jpg

7. i-dLGq3Zx-X3.jpg

8. i-Xx8bMgf-X3.jpg
  • AndeeAndee Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2014
    More beautiful work Charles!
    edited April 25, 2014
    Nice work Sir Charles!!! Love the wallpaper (been thinking of making some backgrounds lately with it). How 'bout that ash flooring used?
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited April 25, 2014
    Good to hear from you Travis. The flooring is a roll up rubber flooring made out of the same material as a "mouse pad". Just roll it out and then roll it up.
    edited May 12, 2014
    OK, the studio is set and I'm ready, I think, for the arrival of some really tiny ballerinas. Over the next three days I'm gonna be a tired puppy. Knees are already hurting.

The white bkg is just three sheets of white plastic corrugated sheets of plastic with two strobes lighting behind them. Main light is a plm umbrella with a reflector added. The model is always ready.
    1. i-3bFjqxT-X2.jpg

2. i-c4zFgtp-X2.jpg

Dark bkg is 2x2 vinyl ceiling tiles hot glued to some foam core board with a strobe on them. Two kickers to rim light and a softbox as a main with a reflector.

3. i-HCCFJX9-X2.jpg

4. i-nsCB5MZ-X2.jpg
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2014
    How wide is your garage, mr C?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited May 14, 2014
    Camera room is about 16.5 by 35.
    edited May 15, 2014
    gotcha. thank you.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited May 15, 2014
    Just a few to see how they fit in with the before photos.

1. i-4jhRSgV-X2.jpg

2. i-mwkcB3V-X2.jpg

3. i-kWCR5xs-X2.jpg

4. i-6ggPFhx-X2.jpg
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2014
    I finally remembered to pull back at a shoot lol

Not my favorite picture from the shoot but it makes sense of the pull back:
    14016348698_3982faf3fe_z.jpg

And the pull back:
    14223185413_b4758dc15d_b.jpg

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
    edited June 2, 2014
    I played around with the Pocket Wizard Utility this morning to see if I could set my Elinchrom strobe for HSS (high speed sync); shutter speeds well beyond the 1/320 maximum of my Mark IV's. While in my garage, I was able to achieve 1/8000 of second without any black banding in the frame (freaky right?!?!). The light distribution from my BD was somewhat uneven, but my mind immediately started racing about how creative I could get with my current modifiers. After the kids got home from school, I took them to the playground & managed to snap a few. I had no intention of keeping these images but simply wanted to see what type of exposures I could achieve using HSS.

For this test, I left the PocketWizard Plus III at home & took the Mini TT1 & Flex TT5 system (designed for Canon speedlites). For me, the 3' Octabox gave more desirable results (less contrast & more even distribution). Having the ability to shoot at with a really shallow DOF (1.2, 1.4, 1.8) while using a studio strobe, makes me really excited about OCF!!! More importantly, being able to see potential issues (uneven light on the right side of their faces) should make it easier to perfect this setup by simply adding a diffusion scrim, reflector or simply moving my subjects. The below images were all shot around 1/2 power & ISO 100 (aperture & shutter speeds were adjusted accordingly). I'll post back later with better results later (possibly this weekend)!!!! All the best :D

i-c4LQQvr-X3.jpg
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited June 3, 2014
    Travis, thanks for posting and hope all is going well for you. These are starting to look nice. Remember the story about the fan and how the air moves......apply that to the light and try to get it to skim more and not so straight on. Do you have a Hoodman? Might be easier to see the difference between the flash highlights and the sun, at least it is for me. I can't see much on that little screen. I always get burned when I try to use it. Do you want to bring the kids down for a play day?
    edited June 3, 2014
    Travis, thanks for posting and hope all is going well for you. These are starting to look nice. Remember the story about the fan and how the air moves......apply that to the light and try to get it to skim more and not so straight on. Do you have a Hoodman? Might be easier to see the difference between the flash highlights and the sun, at least it is for me. I can't see much on that little screen. I always get burned when I try to use it. Do you want to bring the kids down for a play day?

Thanks Charles! I don't own a Hoodman (ironically I bid for one on eBay a few hours ago)! After I'd gotten home, I heard you (whispering in my right ear) move your light to camera right & feather it across their faces)!!!:D. And yes, I'd love to bring them down for a play date. Slow for you right now?!?
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
    edited June 3, 2014
    My season runs from late July to mid Feb. Then it falls off as I don't do weddings anymore. With some planning we could figure out something.
    edited July 15, 2014
    14322889710_258ab4f492_c.jpg

And pullback:
    14324881070_5117ef2188_c.jpg

edited July 15, 2014
    Wally, really nice job with minimal equipment. Love how it jumps out at you.
    edited July 15, 2014
    Wally, really nice job with minimal equipment. Love how it jumps out at you.

Thanks! I'm not sure how the pros do it but I read a few tips for shooting products and gave it a shot :D

edited July 27, 2014
    Just some simple outside shots with one speedlight in a 14" softbox. Iso was 400 stops of f13 and f9 and shutter speeds of 160 & 200

1. i-g2NKHQK-X2.jpg

2. i-GZjhFKB-X2.jpg

3. i-7pKJkbG-X2.jpg
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2014
    What power setting did you use on the flash and how far back did you place it? I'm guessing around 6ft. and 1/2 power. Was I close?

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited July 27, 2014
    Gary, generally the flash is always about 5 to 6 ft away. We worked so many locations we were all over on the power. Anywhere from 1/16 to 1/2. If I'm in bright sunlight I use two lights on the stand.
    edited July 28, 2014
    LETS GET POSTING!!!!! This is supposed to be a HELP area so it doesn't matter what level you are at, post and wait for comments. We are willing to help everyone so don't worry about how good or bad your images are. There are many looks but few posts, LETS GET GOING!!
    edited July 28, 2014
    Not all of us include shooting our setup in the process we use to work lol.

Here is a TERRIBLE way to get high key by using umbrella spill and needing to use work after shooting to fix the white. Again, how NOT to shoot high key properly. (I was asked last minute, otherwise I would have lit people with a softbox'ed AB1600 and used the two flashes on the background but here we are...
    Pullback:
    14783399433_b64dd185e6.jpg

Final image BEFORE high key "correction"
    14576887549_2e52c87c95_z.jpg

Headshot also before HK "correction":
    14740529396_69b182156a_z.jpg

Do what you can with what you have...

edited July 28, 2014
    Wally, do you get cross shadows with the lights in opposite directions?
    edited July 28, 2014
    Wally, do you get cross shadows with the lights in opposite directions?
    Nope and I think it's because I'm shooting with umbrellas instead of softboxes or more directional light. The pictures above are almost SOOC (I've got a basic contrast/vignetting filter I run all of my pictures through on import). As you can see from the headshot, that's the lighting as shot.

edited August 19, 2014
    Just a basic set up
    Just a basic setup using two flashes combined for their power.

here you can see the shadow edge cast by the two flashes. I wanted more power so I used two flashes and an f stop of 7.1. I'm not a big advocate of "bokeh" and tend to like smaller f stops.

1. i-MFJm6CF-X2.jpg

This one is straight out of camera with a tiny adjustment of black point in Capture One. I use it instead of LightRoom because it is simply what I'm use to. Both are great programs.

2. i-Z7Gmztz-X2.jpg

Here a tad bit more refinement for my liking.

3. i-Ndh5kvL-X2.jpg
    edited August 19, 2014
    that's how I know you're not a car shooter.
    ;)
    My Site
    My Facebook