Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Oh right, even for europe!? oh well I guess to an extent it arrives when it arrives :)
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Oh right, even for europe!? oh well I guess to an extent it arrives when it arrives :)

Umm, well, maybe Apple requires everything to go through their warehouse in California, yea, that's the ticket.

:uhoh

I don't know.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Back in the days before Safari, I used to use a browser called Camino. But when Safari came out, and then Firefox got useful, and I forgot about Camino.

The other day, Andy's going through some stuff and asks, "Who uses Camino?" Well, apparently he never had. So he tried it, and said, "Hey, this is pretty quick!"

Made me wonder what had happened to my old friend Camino. I gotta tell you, it's pretty quick! It's also got a nice look that's easy on the eyes.

Check it out. Sorry, Windows users, this one is Mac only.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Umm, well, maybe Apple requires everything to go through their warehouse in California, yea, that's the ticket.

:uhoh

I don't know.

It seems like it didnt get the USA after all! Its in amsterdam now! thats only 4 hours away! Although I bet it still takes a few days!

Arrive Terminal AMSTERDAM, NH, NL 20 Feb 2006 11:57

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 20, 2006
    Dave, I think Safari 2.0 in the tabbed browsing mode is pretty quick also. I didn't find the tabbed mode until a few days ago.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Dave, I think Safari 2.0 in the tabbed browsing mode is pretty quick also. I didn't find the tabbed mode until a few days ago.ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif the ONLY thing I like about Safari, is it's tight integration with dotmac. Otherwise, FF and yeah, Camino, work even better IMO. Try Safari on www.pricegrabber.com and then try FF or Camino on www.pricegrabber.com

Some websites totally CHOKE on Safari.

Oh and don't forget, Safari displays your colors MUCH differently than FF:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/great-prints/2005/06/27/mac-browsers-can-you-believe-your-eyes/
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif the ONLY thing I like about Safari, is it's tight integration with dotmac. Otherwise, FF and yeah, Camino, work even better IMO. Try Safari on www.pricegrabber.com and then try FF or Camino on www.pricegrabber.com

Some websites totally CHOKE on Safari.

Oh and don't forget, Safari displays your colors MUCH differently than FF:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/great-prints/2005/06/27/mac-browsers-can-you-believe-your-eyes/

Try this in Safari, FF and Camino. Safari's the only one that passes the Acid Test.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    anyone got recommendations for a good image browser/renamer on the Mac?

I've been using BreezeBrowser on Windows for sifting through my images and making the first keep/toss decision, launching into PS for editing, and batch renaming.

The batch renaming is a big deal for me, I don't use the default names that the 10D gives the images. So I need something that can do some good batch renaming and understands that .CRW and .THM go together.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    The batch renaming is a big deal for me, I don't use the default names that the 10D gives the images. So I need something that can do some good batch renaming and understands that .CRW and .THM go together.[/QUOTE]

I have been working with Bridge lately, and discovered the DNG converter.
    The latter is very good to rename and make a dng file from the images, original RAW format embedded, so you always keep your RAW file.
    I would not call it quick, but it does a good job.
    If you say fast, have a look at iViewMediaPro, which gives you a QUICK look of what is coming in from your card.
    The ultimate cataloguiing would have to be Portfolio, with endless naming, tagging and what more possibilities.

But I am extremely happy with DNG converter and Adobe Bridge... Have you tried out the Lightroom beta from adobe? I would be left dangling about what to prefer, lightroom or bridge... I have no clue what Adobe will go for...
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    I hate portfolio.

Bridge is great, but doesn't catalog, only browses. In other words, you couldn't find offline media.

I would get iView Media Pro, it's excellent. While you're at it, check out The DAM Book.

If you just want renaming, and a great little app to do it, check out A Better Finder Rename, it's awesome.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    The batch renaming is a big deal for me, I don't use the default names that the 10D gives the images. So I need something that can do some good batch renaming and understands that .CRW and .THM go together.

I have been working with Bridge lately, and discovered the DNG converter.
    The latter is very good to rename and make a dng file from the images, original RAW format embedded, so you always keep your RAW file.
    I would not call it quick, but it does a good job.
    If you say fast, have a look at iViewMediaPro, which gives you a QUICK look of what is coming in from your card.
    The ultimate cataloguiing would have to be Portfolio, with endless naming, tagging and what more possibilities.

But I am extremely happy with DNG converter and Adobe Bridge... Have you tried out the Lightroom beta from adobe? I would be left dangling about what to prefer, lightroom or bridge... I have no clue what Adobe will go for...[/quote]

Ive started using.... Iphoto!
    I have set it to not create its own copies so all of my file directory stays as it should and i have set it to open files for editing in in CS2... I just cant get on with bridge!

• Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    Iphoto!
    I have set it to not create its own copies so all of my file directory stays as it should

where's that setting (or is it a new feature of 06)?
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    If you really really want a good cataloguing system, nothing beats Portfolio.
    I have tons of CD's in portfolio, and It tells me exactly what file is on what CD.

Bridge is a little minor pain to get to know it, but once you get it, it works a charm. But as D. said: it is not really a cataloging unit.
    Depends on what you want to do.
    If it comes to fast workflow, bridge and CS2 do it for me.
    If it comes to cataloging, Portfolio or iViewMedia Pro would be my choice.
    I think that if you are an official photographer, with thousands and thousands of frames, that portfolio is the only one to be able to help you quick, straight forward and surely. I must admit though that I had some of my portfolio catalogues corrupted, which was a major pain.

For most of the programs there is only one way: if you play with it a lot, you will get to know it in depth, and you will have a satisfying experience.
    In the end, I want to find a file quick, and without too much hassle...

The strength of portfolio sits in its watch folders (which you have now in Iview too, and in Bridge), but portfolio seems to be the easiest to find files back after transferring them from computer to external storage.
    It is very fast and very adequate for making and keeping paths to files.

One big contra: it is very expensive. iViewMedia is VERY reasonable in price, which might for a lot of people (including me) be the one to go for... After all, if you make enough money out of your photography, you CAN spend money on cataloging apps.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    where's that setting (or is it a new feature of 06)?

Its in preferences on 06, havent used any other versions!.

I find the keywords system of iphoto to be very very useful!

Meanss for example I can have a photo of me snowboarding and give it keywords of

stu
    snowboarding
    keeper
    canada
    whistler

and then open all photos - very quickly due to the iphoto thumbnails system

then select stu that leaves 300, them snowboarding that leaves 70, then keeper, that leaves 12, then Canada, leaves 6, then whistler leaves 4.

prolly sound harder than it axctually is to be honest.

Also love the abilit to select say keyword of Snowboarding - then select slideshow and can immediatley show them to people.

The smart folder sytem is also excellent - basically create a smartfolder that contains links to as set keyword or words, a specific image size etc etc. then use that smartfolder to update a blog or website created in Ilife.

and the double click opening the image iin CS2 makes life almost perfect.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    For MACS only!! PCs cannot do this yet --- (Warning:I don't depend on my images to make a living - A good thing some folks may be thinking:D )-

I find my images quickly with Spotlight.

I name my images with the tags I would otherwise enter into the metadata slots, and just file them in folders by the month they were shot.

If I don't know when they were shot, I enter the search terms in Spotlight. This gives me a list of files with the search term in the file name, grouped by documents, applications, folders, and IMAGES.

In the Images heading, on the right side there is a Play button - an arrow pointiong to the right and looking like a PLAY button on a CD player.

Press on t
    he play button, and EVERY image with that term in its title will be displayed across my monitor as an image - on every active hard drive connected to my MAC of which there are now 6 hard drives, or over 1 TerraByte. MY next step is to see if SPotlight wil work with a netword server on my network.

Thus I can quickly, visually scan my entire set of six hard drives for an errant image file. THIS IS A COOL TIP!!:)::):

• Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    Portfolio definitely can't be beat if you're using it with many others over a network. Aside from that, I just don't care for the interface. I'm sure it does what you want, though.

Don't use iPhoto if you're shooting RAW. You lose the ability to manipulate the RAW image, as iPhoto imports the RAW but converts to JPEG before you actually work on it. If this has changed in '06, let me know, but iPhoto is not a RAW solution, AFAIK.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Portfolio definitely can't be beat if you're using it with many others over a network. Aside from that, I just don't care for the interface. I'm sure it does what you want, though.

Don't use iPhoto if you're shooting RAW. You lose the ability to manipulate the RAW image, as iPhoto imports the RAW but converts to JPEG before you actually work on it. If this has changed in '06, let me know, but iPhoto is not a RAW solution, AFAIK.

Good news it has changed!

If you select to leave original folder and not import into Iphot it just creates a small thumbnail for looking at in iphoto and allows me to click that to open the RAW file into CS2.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    Does elephants - I mean PS Elements 4.0/Mac - have a batch rename function? And if so can it create the new filenames based on EXIF data?
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I name my images with the tags I would otherwise enter into the metadata slots, and just file them in folders by the month they were shot.

Do you mean that you change the filename of each picture, or that in iPhoto (or some other app) you apply the tags in some other field?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I find my images quickly with Spotlight. I name my images with the tags I would otherwise enter into the metadata slots, and just file them in folders by the month they were shot.

This is a very cool tip, I use it too.

But you do not need to pollute your filenames with tags!

Use Bridge or iView or any other IPTC compliant app to add keywords to the photos the standard way. Spotlight is metadata compliant will find the images by the embedded keywords. You can use a more rational file naming system such as that recommended in Peter Krogh's "DAM book," and as long as the photos are keyworded they will work with Spotlight. If you have embedded keyword tags in preparation for uploading to smugmug, they are already ready for Spotlight.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    When I edit an image, (as opposed to a RAW file that is stored unaltered, with its original numbering), I name the edited file with pertinent terms AND continue to list the original file number from the RAW file. That way I can find the edited file, and the RAW file, via Spotlight.

Yes, I could add the information in the metadata fields and Spotlight would find it there also, but that is an extra step that takes more time to enter, and I prefer not to spend my time editng metadata.

I am not suggesting that this is the best or even a better way to do it. Just that it works for me, and, as I said, I do not depend on my images for my income.

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    Does elephants - I mean PS Elements 4.0/Mac - have a batch rename function? And if so can it create the new filenames based on EXIF data?

If not, an application to do that could be created. I've actually been looking for that kind of little toy app to write.

And for those that have missed it, we have another take on apple vs winders in the photo challenge thread this go round... I think it's a pretty clear indication of which platform is the sexier of the two. mwink.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    Apple Introduces Boot Camp, dual boot to XP
    Apple Introduces Boot Camp

WOW! I cannot say I would have thought they would release this software. Now I want to know if it will run the GPS software via XP. ear.gif
    Apple® today introduced Boot Camp, public beta software that enables Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP. Available as a download beginning today, Boot Camp allows users with a Microsoft Windows XP installation disc to install Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac®, and once installation is complete, users can restart their computer to run either Mac OS® X or Windows XP. Boot Camp will be a feature in “Leopard,” Apple’s next major release of Mac OS X, that will be previewed at Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference in August.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Pretty cagey, eh??!!:): Bill better watch out!!

Lets see what Vista offers in the next year when it is available. Maybe....:D

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Pretty cagey, eh??!!:): Bill better watch out!!

Lets see what Vista offers in the next year when it is available. Maybe....:D

Apple is planning to release Vista this year on the Mac. lol3.gif
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Apple is planning to release Vista this year on the Mac. lol3.gif

rolleyes1.gifIf you've seen the video floating around the net, you'll notice that Apple released "vista" a few years ago.

And given what I've been hearing from ISVs, it's starting to sound like MS is jetisoning all the interesting features out of the initial release just in hopes of getting vista out the door.

As for bootcamp...wow, that's quite unlike apple to put something out as a beta, at least to openly admit it's a beta. I've got to wonder if this may not have been hurried along in some way by the dell/alienware deal. headscratch.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Apple Introduces Boot Camp

WOW! I cannot say I would have thought they would release this software. Now I want to know if it will run the GPS software via XP. ear.gif

Dunno if this helps, Patch, but I found this on macosxhints.com:
    Seeing the TomTom post, I thought I'd chime in that while everyone waits (and waits) for Garmin to make good on its Mac compatibility promise, the new nüvi 350 (a great in-car GPS) is already fully Mac compatible, only it seems Garmin doesn't even know it!

Last night, I updated my nüvi's firmware to 3.2 using nothing but my G4 iMac, 10.3.9, and a USB cable. It's almost too easy to call a "hint." Download the updater from Garmin. It's a .exe self-extracting archive (boo, hiss). Drop it on Stuffit Expander. Mount an SD card, either in your nüvi attached via USB, or in a card reader.

Drag the Garmin folder from the expanded archive to the card. Put the card in the nüvi and boot 'er up. Let the nüvi do its full update process. That's it.

If you're updating from a version of 2.9 or older, be sure to back up your waypoints file first, found in the main nüvi directory. Again, it's drag and drop. No Windows needed
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    That is interesting. I had not seen anything on Garmin's website that suggested Mac support. I'm running OS 10.4.6

I keep an old 500Mhz PIII laptop just for keeping my Garmin GPS units and software up to date.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    anyone got recommendations for a good image browser/renamer on the Mac?

I've been using BreezeBrowser on Windows for sifting through my images and making the first keep/toss decision, launching into PS for editing, and batch renaming.

While wandering around the net, or maybe it was because of a pointer from some thread here on dgrin, I came across http://www.dg28.com/Opinion43.html the other day. As soon as I saw it, I remembered that just about everyone I saw at the Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar seemed to be using Photo Mechanic. I downloaded it and dropped in their 30-day demo code and barely two days later I'm about ready to send 'em some money. Looks like it does everything I need.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    My new-found love is MailTags. I had known about it for quite a while and thought, "eh, who needs it?" Well, I saw it posted again somewhere, gave it a shot, and I love it. You can tag and group emails, make iCal todos and more, most likely. I've only had it for 10 minutes now, but it was love at first site...check it out. Oh, and it's $20 donationware, so if you feel like it's worth it, you give them $20, otherwise it's free...
    Moderator Emeritus